CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Q: Blizzard's reputation is second to none in this industry - Paul, what kinds of lessons did you learn there that will help Ready at Dawn reach the next level?

Paul Sams: First and foremost, I learned that you must put game quality and player experience first in everything that you do. Gamers are not driven to buy games because they have a clever business model, they buy games that are fun and immersive that deliver on what was promised. I also learned that being a trend chaser or first mover is not a key to victory. Our team here at Ready At Dawn needs to make games that they love and that they want to play so that we can get the very best and most creative work out of our developers. Force feeding a development team to chase a business model or game type trend when the team doesn't love it is a likely losing proposition. A happy and motivated team that is making a game that they absolutely love with a leadership team that doesn't force them to ship their game before it is ready is part of that formula for success.

anddd more posts from current/former Blizzard employees that I wish 343/MS would listen to

• Upvote (+1) 4

Q: Blizzard's reputation is second to none in this industry - Paul, what kinds of lessons did you learn there that will help Ready at Dawn reach the next level?

Paul Sams: First and foremost, I learned that you must put game quality and player experience first in everything that you do. Gamers are not driven to buy games because they have a clever business model, they buy games that are fun and immersive that deliver on what was promised. I also learned that being a trend chaser or first mover is not a key to victory. Our team here at Ready At Dawn needs to make games that they love and that they want to play so that we can get the very best and most creative work out of our developers. Force feeding a development team to chase a business model or game type trend when the team doesn't love it is a likely losing proposition. A happy and motivated team that is making a game that they absolutely love with a leadership team that doesn't force them to ship their game before it is ready is part of that formula for success.

anddd more posts from current/former Blizzard employees that I wish 343/MS would listen to

To be fair, Ready at Dawn made The Order 1886 so I think looking to them for advice is a bit questionable.

• Downvote (-1) 1

To be fair, Ready at Dawn made The Order 1886 so I think looking to them for advice is a bit questionable.

It has nothing to do with Ready at Dawn though. Its more about the lessons of this one mans experiences while at Blizzard. Its not really a surprise his new company doesn't measure up to the one he came from. Hes basically just repeating the same core ideals that everyone that works/has worked at Blizzard stands by and its likely one of the fundamental reasons Blizzard is successful at more or less everything they do for the longest time now. Their biggest failure is probably D3 which they promptly fixed and it went on to be what was the highest selling PC game of all time at one point. It might still be. I know Minecraft was extremely close to it

Force feeding a development team to chase a business model or game type trend when the team doesn't love it is a likely losing proposition. A happy and motivated team that is making a game that they absolutely love with a leadership team that doesn't force them to ship their game before it is ready is part of that formula for success.

Thing is, 343 is made up with people who previously worked from a wide range of developers, and many of them "hate" Halo. What they've done with Halo 5 is probably what they deem to be the best thing for the franchise despite blatantly copying and pasting elements from the most popular console shooter, and then laughably throwing bogus statistics at us to justify their decisions like claiming 89% are for sprint. Judging by the preorders alone it looks like this game will sell well, and that only sends Microsoft/343 the message to continue following popular trends that are not good for Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Blizzard has always remained loyal to the #masterrace (except D3 which they promptly fixed into a good game by most people's standards) and in turn the masterrace has remained loyal to them. In fact, I would say they have the most loyal and hardcore core fan-base in the industry because of it. They do not need the casual fan-base as much as other developers do because of it. Other developers have made the mistake of selling out their core fan-base(Rainbow Six, Halo, UT, GoW, arguably Quake, Crysis,ect..) and have paid the price for it and now have no core fan-base left really. Basically, Blizzard is the captain of the ship that is loyal to his crew through thick and thin while devs like 343 look to hire as many mercenaries as possible for short term gain and profit over the long term.

It really is an admirable thing in this day and age, Blizzard has always put huge emphasis on community building and long-term support for their games to cultivate them into something bigger than just products which has created real tight-knit communities that have stood the test of time. I know its controversial to say so, but WoW is a great example of this despite allegations that it gradually became dumbed down. I wouldn't be surprised if Overwatch is the next big FPS e-sport/new FPS MP IP simply because of how great Blizzard is with building great core games for core gamers and cultivating e-sport communties. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

It has nothing to do with Ready at Dawn though. Its more about the lessons of this one mans experiences while at Blizzard. Its not really a surprise his new company doesn't measure up to the one he came from. Hes basically just repeating the same core ideals that everyone that works/has worked at Blizzard stands by and its likely one of the fundamental reasons Blizzard is successful at more or less everything they do for the longest time now. Their biggest failure is probably D3 which they promptly fixed and it went on to be what was the highest selling PC game of all time at one point. It might still be. I know Minecraft was extremely close to it

woah woah woah d3 promptly fixed? Last time i checked they still didnt have pvp on the game. Just googled and its in the game now, but apparently its very poor after years of being out
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Blizzard has always remained loyal to the #masterrace (except D3 which they promptly fixed into a good game by most people's standards) and in turn the masterrace has remained loyal to them. In fact, I would say they have the most loyal and hardcore core fan-base in the industry because of it. They do not need the casual fan-base as much as other developers do because of it. Other developers have made the mistake of selling out their core fan-base(Rainbow Six, Halo, UT, GoW, arguably Quake, Crysis,ect..) and have paid the price for it and now have no core fan-base left really. Basically, Blizzard is the captain of the ship that is loyal to his crew through thick and thin while devs like 343 look to hire as many mercenaries as possible for short term gain and profit over the long term.

It really is an admirable thing in this day and age, Blizzard has always put huge emphasis on community building and long-term support for their games to cultivate them into something bigger than just products which has created real tight-knit communities that have stood the test of time. I know its controversial to say so, but WoW is a great example of this despite allegations that it gradually became dumbed down. I wouldn't be surprised if Overwatch is the next big FPS e-sport/new FPS MP IP simply because of how great Blizzard is with building great core games for core gamers and cultivating e-sport communties. 

Isn't one of Blizzard's biggest games right now a P2W card game?

Are you asking this question as a way to counter his point that blizzard isn't selling out?

Which at this moment, is a bigger e-sport than Halo. Just gives credence to my argument more than anything.

Not big into card games, but I was talking more about their Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, WoW.ect..franchises when I say they are the best in the business at executing their model for success. Its replicated in all of those series in varying ways.

Which at this moment, is a bigger e-sport than Halo. Just gives credence to my argument more than anything.

Not big into card games, but I was talking more about their Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, WoW.ect..franchises when I say they are the best in the business at executing their model for success. Its replicated in all of those series in varying ways.

I don't follow them too closely, but I was under the impression that they've been shitting the bed as of late. Yeah, their games are popular, but are they actually good?

I don't follow them too closely, but I was under the impression that they've been shitting the bed as of late. Yeah, their games are popular, but are they actually good?

If you're playing a Blizzard title, it's pretty much a guarantee that it's going to be a solid product with strong support. Which is why I'm looking forward to Overwatch.

• Upvote (+1) 3

woah woah woah d3 promptly fixed? Last time i checked they still didnt have pvp on the game. Just googled and its in the game now, but apparently its very poor after years of being out

To be 100% honest I forgot about PvP. I think Blizzard 100% gave up on everything Jay Wilson and company planned and listened to community feedback and updated/fixed from there. I've done a bit of the PvP that's in game and its safe to say there was never going to be anything competitive about it at all. You pretty much 1 hit everyone with anything. Its funny to look at but its worthless outside of that 20 seconds of amusement.

Yes. You hear about everything Blizzard does wrong because they're on a stage where millions of players play everything they make so any issue looks amazingly huge because a huge number of people complain but that just speaks to how many more people play their games in general. For example WoW is sitting at ~7-8 million subscriptions so even thousands of complaints is nothing compared to getting thousands of complaints about games that pull in a couple hundred thousand players at a time. They're only on that stage because they manage to push quality products over and over to continue having that type of exposure

Today I did some power washing.

I had to spray away bees hives and spider nests all day in the hot sun.

What helped me keep going afer 8 hours of doing it was by making it fun.

I imagined each little spider or roach I blasted to kingdom come was a tiny little 343 Dev. They're all dead.

You're welcome boys.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 9

Today I did some power washing.

I had to spray away bees hives and spider nests all day in the hot sun.

What helped me keep going afer 8 hours of doing it was by making it fun.

I imagined each little spider or roach I blasted to kingdom come was a tiny little 343 Dev. They're all dead.

Your welcome boys.

Inb4 7 day ban by @@CyReN

Also, You're*

Yes. You hear about everything Blizzard does wrong because they're on a stage where millions of players play everything they make so any issue looks amazingly huge because a huge number of people complain but that just speaks to how many more people play their games in general. For example WoW is sitting at ~7-8 million subscriptions so even thousands of complaints is nothing compared to getting thousands of complaints about games that pull in a couple hundred thousand players at a time. They're only on that stage because they manage to push quality products over and over to continue having that type of exposure.

Basically this, but unlike other developers Blizzard will respond to the hardcore's complaints more often than not, hence Diablo III's turnaround in the court of public opinion and the continued longevity of all of their franchises. They will also make the hard internal changes http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/blizzard-cco-responds-to-joy-over-jay-wilson-leaving-diablo-3-team-17039 if they feel the person in question is not succeeding in their role on the team and in sync with what the rest of the team/fanbase wants for the series. People who like FPS games/FPS e-sports should be ecstatic Blizzard is entering the space because they truly get it and will maybe inspire other developers to pick up on the multitude of things they do correctly that makes them so successful.

I'm after this also. A guy on my friends list posted this clip of jugg settings xboxdvr.com/iTz+Aussie/4dbe6237-28a1-4da7-aef3-fb4d809468b0

Was hoping to get it from him but haven't been able to reach him. Anyone know the source of these map/gametypes?

I found out how to do it. Go under juggernaut settings and the spawn on lone juggernaut setting or w/e it is should be enabled. Only works in 1v1 though.

Switch to PC, we have Blizzard and Valve on our side plus we can now refund shitty games on Steam.

2000 pages arguing about how shitty Halo has become won't change it.