CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Why on earth do they need to test and evaluate ranking for each playlist? Did someone honestly design the matchmaking algorithms to be completely different for each playlist? If you've got it figured out for one, shouldn't it be easy to apply it to other playlists as well? I'm not a programmer or network admin, but I don't see how it can be this convoluted, especially for a feature that was intended to be in there all along.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Bravo said they are aware and looking into it, so I'm not worried.

They've been aware and looking into it for near 7 months -.-

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why on earth do they need to test and evaluate ranking for each playlist? Did someone honestly design the matchmaking algorithms to be completely different for each playlist? If you've got it figured out for one, shouldn't it be easy to apply it to other playlists as well? I'm not a programmer or network admin, but I don't see how it can be this convoluted, especially for a feature that was intended to be in there all along.

They're probably adjusting the skill match-up margin based on the active population.

For instance a tight skill margin, for a popular playlist, might not work for a playlist with lower numbers.

Not sure if this requires a lot of data though...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Shouldn't have all this testing been done before the game released 8 months ago?

I really wish that top community members would send that exact statement @Halo. I'm still pissed that I was conned out of this much money. I'm even more upset nobody is being held responsible for it. I'd love to see that tweeted @Halo by greenskull, ninja, snipedown, walshy, ogre, nadeshot, flamesword, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 7

They've been aware and looking into it for near 7 months -.-

I meant the pistol issue.

I meant the pistol issue.

its been broken since launch just breaka in a dif way every update
  • Upvote (+1) 5

It shouldn't be this convoluted. This type of thing is called a Class.

They're probably adjusting the skill match-up margin based on the active population.

For instance a tight skill margin, for a popular playlist, might not work for a playlist with lower numbers.

Not sure if this requires a lot of data though...

And these types of things are called parameters

How 343 is implementing these things independently is beyond me. I can't even wrap my ahead around the code they must be using where they need to "evaluate" these sorts of things and put them into each playlist separately.

Something tells me they have a lot of code duplication going on.. (Copying and using code that performs a specific set of actions in order in different places in the project). That's the only logical assumption I can make considering how long it takes them to make, what should be very small/minor, changes.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Several people have talked about hit reg on various games, even H4, with one person guying +20 and everyone else doing marginally.  I'm going to chime in and say that this happens to me also, about every other game and it doesn't matter which game or playlist it is (although I mostly play Team Slayer, which is CE, H2C/A, and 3).  I've seen it on H4 as well, as I went to that to test things out since hit rec/network performance in H4 was generally good.  Usually I'm in the marginal crowd, but finally I got to be the wrecker and it was unbelievably easy.  Basically you get a full shot lead.  You can challenge anyone you want - the only thing you need to look out for is being team shot.  Several times I got 2-3 shots in on people off spawn before they even reacted.  Fun times.  Not.  I've lost faith that this thing ever gets fixed right.  I wish Destiny was more to my liking in terms of PvP (I've loved Bungie since Marathon) - but it's even worse than H4 w/ all the garbage supers, shot guns, snipers, armor abilities (blade dance, nova bomb, bubble shields etc., etc.).  It's roh-sham-bo PvP.  I don't have a game right now I really enjoy.  It blows.... 

• Upvote (+1) 2

It shouldn't be this convoluted. This type of thing is called a Class.

And these types of things are called parameters

How 343 is implementing these things independently is beyond me. I can't even wrap my ahead around the code they must be using where they need to "evaluate" these sorts of things and put them into each playlist separately.

Something tells me they have a lot of code duplication going on.. (Copying and using code that performs a specific set of actions in order in different places in the project). That's the only logical assumption I can make considering how long it takes them to make, what should be very small/minor, changes.

To me it's obvious they don't have a clue. Just like in Halo 4 they can't add descope, remove sprint, change damage modifiers, etc. because they are probably lazy and used static variables.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just played my very first Halo CE 2vs2 with @@AkaDemiK. I was that InnermostBowl guy, we were playing against ParFreY and I dont remember the other guy. We had a nice comback ^-^

Ive started playing Halo online with Halo 3 and wow, what did I miss!

What should I learn/practise first to get better at HCE? Any tips would be appreciated :)

Not in any order but here:

- Time weapons, theres apps for MCC everywhere that time the weapons for you

- Contrary to popular belief, you don't NEED to know how to nade trick weapons. Maybe know how to nade camo in Damnation but still then you're fine. Practice on other things first

- Definitely know how to "Quick Camo" in H1. You know how when you shoot you de-camo a bit? Well if you hold a NON- zoomable weapon (Minus Flamethrower, Needler and Fuel Rod Cannon) the time it takes to have full camo after shooting lessens. So what a lot of players will do is if they have camo, they will drop their pistol if they have another power weapon like the sniper or rockets. Because you can shoot your zoomable weapon, switch to your AR quickly then switch back and your camo will be fully up much quicker than with a zoomable weapon. It's not a hard technical skill, you just need to be more aware of weapons like the AR and whatnot when you have camo as it's a huge buff

- Simple tricks that are good to know to get Rockets with Camo at the same time. In Prisoner, you can grab camo, jump up and if you hold X you will be able to grab Rockets. In Hang 'em High grab camo, jump on the tombstone near Rockets and you can grab Rockets from under. Camo/Rockets is a nasty combo 

- Weapons are spawned on a static timer unlike h3. If you played Reach MLG, they basically work the same in that the weapons spawn on a set timer with no differences. 

- Shots are not hitscan. You lead your shots 

- You will lose a lot. Take the many losses you will have as a lesson for humility, it happens to everyone. 

- Power weapons matter much more than H3 did. They are very central to how the map will play.

- You must know how to backpack reload. Don't worry though it's not very difficult. Here's a video that explains it, if you're still confused there's a ton of videos explaining how to backpack reload on Youtube 

- The spawn system is explained here https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/halo-ce-spawn-system-explained/7cc5095f-8703-43ed-abee-fb39a642fb98/posts

To make the spawn system explained in a really simple way: basically (We're talking 2v2 as that's the preferred gametype)  if teammate A dies, the closest spawn point teammate B is in, A will spawn in. This creates things like "force spawns" where if you stand in a certain location the player spawning will always spawn in x location. This also creates "random spawns" where if there is no spawn location near the player alive (the range is about 15ish meters), the game will give the player a random spawn somewhere else in the map. Hopefully that explains it well

@@Hard Way had a good video on a sort of H1 Orientation video but I cant find it

Also, cT made a list before about stuff for beginners: here http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5844-what-needs-to-be-in-a-halo-ce-orientation-video/?p=214860

Nexy made a video for beginners here: 

Made this in like 5 minutes so I'm sure I probably missed something. I'm sure someone here will add on to what I said if I forgot something though

Good luck. It's a fun but brutal game

Edit: Please, by all that is good, don't gandhi hop please. Strafe and crouch strafe but don't gandhi hop

• Upvote (+1) 8

The idea that Halo 2 is not fun without glitches might be the case for you, but it is not for the vast majority of people who play the game. I LAN H2 in houston with old pros pretty regularly and we have a blast playing for 12 hours straight. Double shotting..pretty much never happens, even at the end of H2, it hardly ever happened. Close proximity combat, yeah, it definitely makes it more fun but the majority of H2 is just having excellent map awareness and positioning with a solid shot. It's a fun game in my and I would argue the vast majority of people's opinions, sorry if it's not for you but just because that's your opinion doesn't mean it's fact and there isn't a lot of evidence to back your argument up. 

Midship is fun, because the weapon spawn system doesn't impact that map very much.  In fact, I actually think Midship plays better with only one sword on the map at once.  Every other map suffers from the game's weapon respawn system.  If it weren't for the glitches, I would not have very much fun on any non-Midship map, at least not in any way the later Halo's couldn't do better.  A static weapon spawn system would make H2 play 100x better overnight.

The melee system does suck, however I'd take that over flinch and no descope. The melee system has a much smaller impact on gameplay than those two. Also hate on dynamic spawn timers all you want, it is far, far, far better than ordnance drops and loadouts.

That said I don't play Halo super competitively so things like dynamic spawn timers don't bother me too much. I also like H4, although the MCC version is far better than the original H4. Weapons on map and no ordnance drops makes that game so much better.

I think H2A and MCC H4 are on par for me. H2 is probably my favourite Halo MP though, most likely partly due to nostalgia.

No one is advocating ordinance drops and loadouts.  That'd be like me talking about pre-patch H2.  It isn't relevant anymore, since the only H4 gametypes we're talking about don't use loadouts and have set weapon drops.  And I like to play a lot of FFA, and the melee system is a lot more prominent in FFA.  H4's FFA takes a sloppy deuce on H2A's.  Also, I'm just not okay with never having any idea when the most important items are spawning. It screws up the flow of the game, and the information is too valuable to only afford one player/team. The very moment you start playing against a skilled team, it becomes an issue.  In H1 you always know exactly when stuff comes up, and in H3, Reach and 4 you could make a pretty good guess.  H2 and H2A is an absolute fucking shot in the dark if you weren't the one to drop the empty weapon, and it blows my mind how that doesn't bother more people.

Also, @ and @@BlaiNour, here's the video that was referenced:

• Upvote (+1) 5

Several people have talked about hit reg on various games, even H4, with one person guying +20 and everyone else doing marginally.  I'm going to chime in and say that this happens to me also, about every other game and it doesn't matter which game or playlist it is (although I mostly play Team Slayer, which is CE, H2C/A, and 3).  I've seen it on H4 as well, as I went to that to test things out since hit rec/network performance in H4 was generally good.  Usually I'm in the marginal crowd, but finally I got to be the wrecker and it was unbelievably easy.  Basically you get a full shot lead.  You can challenge anyone you want - the only thing you need to look out for is being team shot.  Several times I got 2-3 shots in on people off spawn before they even reacted.  Fun times.  Not.  I've lost faith that this thing ever gets fixed right.  I wish Destiny was more to my liking in terms of PvP (I've loved Bungie since Marathon) - but it's even worse than H4 w/ all the garbage supers, shot guns, snipers, armor abilities (blade dance, nova bomb, bubble shields etc., etc.).  It's roh-sham-bo PvP.  I don't have a game right now I really enjoy.  It blows.... 

Try Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare.  More specifically, try the Classic Gardens and Graveyards mode (for the even playing field).  It's excellent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It is getting pretty late in the day i doubt we will be seeing ranks tonight.

"soon"

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

re: graphic language

wouldn't it be "includes digital down load..blah blah." or " blah blah..digital download included?" idk, "included digital download" sounds odd to me

Can we please get an update so we're not playing the same map over and over again. Its always the same options every game.

• Upvote (+1) 2