CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

It's a console dude. Playing w/ no magnetism is just insane. We can sit here and pretend like this takes more skill and we want competitiveness all day. Fact is, humans can't aim worth shit on a console. You need magnetism to do it, that's why it exists in every console FPS.

Put the magnetism back at OG levels and it's all good. The difference in spread, if any, seems minor to me.

Spread is impacting the current mechanics because magnetism isn't helping to reduce spread's effect anymore.

And shooting is not impossible up to mid range. I'm still hitting rare three shots when I'm feeling good and the hands are warm. I wonder if you being used to og mechanics is affecting your perception of how difficult it is because I definitely consider you a better shooter than me but postpatch shooting doesn't bother me as much. You honestly have to just go in with a different mindset about how to shoot people. I've seen a lot of good players in mming get frustrated and give up; that's going to affect how you perform.

Again I'm not saying we should keep the pistol as is. Just saying it's not as impossible as people think... And I don't even have the best aim compared to some people around here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I swear on the forums 10 years ago today's magnetism was called auto-aim and today's friction was called magnetism.

It was and I haven't been on forums in 10 years so you can understand my confusion here.

Anyway it sounds like everyone is basically in agreement. The patch overall was pretty good. Before the game was too easy. Now it's a little too hard. Add some magnetism so it's in the middle (pref. match OG) and we will all be happy. Brav told me on twitter the team is looking into it and I am confident they will change something, so there's no use arguing about whether it is currently good or not. Only thing I'm worried about is if we are gonna have to wait a full month or not.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Spread is impacting the current mechanics because magnetism isn't helping to reduce spread's effect anymore.

And shooting is not impossible up to mid range. I'm still hitting rare three shots when I'm feeling good and the hands are warm. I wonder if you being used to og mechanics is affecting your perception of how difficult it is because I definitely consider you a better shooter than me but postpatch shooting doesn't bother me as much. You honestly have to just go in with a different mindset about how to shoot people. I've seen a lot of good players in mming get frustrated and give up; that's going to affect how you perform.

Again I'm not saying we should keep the pistol as is. Just saying it's not as impossible as people think... And I don't even have the best aim compared to some people around here.

I just think no magnetism is the root problem here. Fixing the spread is just covering up the real problem and is still going to make the aiming feel weird considering every console FPS has the magnetism.

I think we are on the same page about the difficulty. I don't think it is impossible, but I don't like it and I don't think we should accept it just because it's harder than it was. The game feels foreign to me now. Again, we are talking about top tier players missing 24 bullets on a guy top mid on HH. It's just absurdly hard and IMO takes too much away from the better parts of the game.

I am getting the feeling everyone agrees with everyone else and we are just talking in circles here

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just think no magnetism is the root problem here. Fixing the spread is just covering up the real problem and is still going to make the aiming feel weird considering every console FPS has the magnetism.

I think we are on the same page about the difficulty. I don't think it is impossible, but I don't like it and I don't think we should accept it just because it's harder than it was. The game feels foreign to me now. Again, we are talking about top tier players missing 24 bullets on a guy top mid on HH. It's just absurdly hard and IMO takes too much away from the better parts of the game.

I am getting the feeling everyone agrees with everyone else and we are just talking in circles here

The other thing most players are glossing over as well is that it dramatically affects your decision making in games. I now put myself in positions I normally wouldn't because the fear of quickly being killed isn't really there, especially against unskilled opponents.

It's a completely different game with how the pistol works right now. Fights are honestly comical sometimes...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can the people saying they like the no magnetism please upload clips of them getting multiple 3 shots please.

• Upvote (+1) 4

So my buddy who can't hit the broad side of a barn came over last night and went 32-4 in his first game with the broken pistol. No wonder he sucks; he's been aiming wrong for the last 13 years. I was speechless.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's "impossible" because it's not intuitive. It's a non-histcan environment over the internet on an already broken game, now with yet another weird element added to it - shots are not going to land where you think they're supposed to, and it's going to frustrate most people when they don't understand how they're supposed adapt to it.

If the spread not being mitigated by magnetism is indeed the central issue here, that is HUGE, because the pistol's spread in and of itself is not trivial.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can the people saying they like the no magnetism please upload clips of them getting multiple 3 shots please.

Wish I saved some clips last night.

Go check Toxin's stream though. I think he has past broadcasts on.

Wait, so what happened to the pistol? Haven't even tried to play Halo in months. 

much less bullet magnetism and spread - only center of the reticle counts, can no longer aim bottom of crosshair on head for headshot. And the leading is different. Much harder to use, probably too hard.

much less bullet magnetism and spread - only center of the reticle counts, can no longer aim bottom of crosshair on head for headshot. And the leading is different. Much harder to use, probably too hard.

Well I'm screwed lol. 

Just witnessed a glitch where the menu music doesn't play... It was glorious

• Upvote (+1) 7

I thought people these days are calling aim assist magnetism, like bullets magnetizing to the body. They call what I used to call magnetism "friction", where the reticule slows down when hovering over a player. Are you talking about something else entirely when you say "aim assist"?

People have a problem w/ the bullet magnetism right now, of which there is absolutely none. You can shoot 1 pixel above somebody's head and it won't hit. Just insane on a console.

I mean aim assist as in the reticle slows or sticks a little when on target. Having practically no spread and a little bit of aim assist would probably fix the issue we're having. The magnetism was compensating for the spread, but now since there is none, the spread is just random and the game is preventing people from connecting shots. Make the gun much more predictable and only bad players are missing shots.

actually it's just the random spread and no compensation that's ruining it. Take away spread and maybe up aim assist a tiny bit and it'll work fine.

I haven't played it yet but that is so frustrating to hear. I think the biggest part of ODST is the atmosphere, colors, mood.. I remember reading the Bungie updates about all the months of fine tuning they did to get the lighting and VISR to the perfect place. 343s negligence to preserve this art style when they ported it show complete disregard and a lack of understanding of this.

I have to agree. Same with the new graphics of the Halo CEA campaign. They look good and all but they are way too bright and shiny and "nice" for the atmosphere. Especially on 343 Guilty Spark. Its completely missing the dark mood and "dirty" look imo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I haven't played it yet but that is so frustrating to hear. I think the biggest part of ODST is the atmosphere, colors, mood.. I remember reading the Bungie updates about all the months of fine tuning they did to get the lighting and VISR to the perfect place. 343s negligence to preserve this art style when they ported it show complete disregard and a lack of understanding of this.

Do you think a developer that actively destroys the atmosphere and Halo feeling in multiplayer cares about the atmosphere in a ported title?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

ODST still has the same atmosphere, though watching the cutscenes at 60 fps is a little weird.

Then again I'm running on a widescreen Samsung from 2009 so...

ODST still has the same atmosphere, though watching the cutscenes at 60 fps is a little weird.

Then again I'm running on a widescreen Samsung from 2009 so...

Just from the image Moa included, I feel like a lot of the juicy darks of the city will be washed out and monotonously bright.  Seems like a mood killer for me.  I'll have to play through it first though.

Just from the image Moa included, I feel like a lot of the juicy darks of the city will be washed out and monotonously bright.  Seems like a mood killer for me.  I'll have to play through it first though.

the night isn't as badly affected, again running through HDMI on a half-decade old widescreen. I do wish the FPS was toned down for the scenes, I just miss being able to play as an ODST and feeling a bit too lazy to switch out my Xbox 360 and One lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm still just kind of laughing at the fact that there still has not been a single patch that has fixed an issue(s) and not broken something completely irrelevant to the things they fixed.

As a developer, it makes me cringe at the coding nightmare that is MCC. I would be terrified to look at it.

• Upvote (+1) 7

So...almost a year since my mind almost blow to pieces...kind of interesting to follow the thread from the first post after they released the news about MCC on last years E3.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/4946-halo-the-master-chief-collection-discussion/page-117?do=findComment&comment=209965

Just got done reading about 10 pages of this lol.. I actually posted for one of the first times on here after this announcement.

Man... I have to say I haven't really talked to a lot of you guys since the Halocouncil days, and I legit had to remember my account for this site lol.. But at any rate

1080p/60fps

Dedicated Servers

All the maps...

I can't explain to any of you how erect my nipples are and how much I'm looking to spend EVERY SINGLE DAY on Halo 1 and Halo 2 Multiplayer.

#WelcomeBackHalo

Needless to say my nipples have long been soft.. But I'm glad I stuck around here with you guys.  :)

But seeing that hype train last year compared to now...  :salt:  :salt:  :salt:

• Upvote (+1) 3