CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

That's the thing though; that's where objective reasoning about the 'depth' of the game ends. You are completely full of yourself if you think that you can objectively discuss how the "map design" and "utility weapon design" make H2 less skillful than H1. That literally has the same amount of value as arguing that Apples are objectively better than Raspberries because they are sweeter. There is nothing quantifiable to base your claim upon. This is because there is no unit for 'better' which can be measured.

Would you agree that a game requiring faster reaction times is more skillful than a game that doesn't demand reaction times to be as fast? Would you agree that a game where mistakes are punished harder is more skillful than a game where mistakes aren't punished as hard? 

Also, I'm curious to know which specific characteristics you believe are subjective when determining a game's competitiveness. 

Please don't take this as offensive, I'm genuinely interested to hear your responses. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

in teamhardcore nothing worse than the 9second respawn glitch on ball

I saw a film where someone died with 30 seconds left an they choked an you could tell the other team was going to win an that glitch happened.  Funny but sucks if you're on the shit end of it.

Not digging all the Halo 3 hate. I understand if you liked CE and wanted CE 2.0 then H3 wouldn't have been your cup of tea. However its a dick move insulting the game that tons of people enjoy. The game wasn't perfect, but it was still a masterpiece - competitively and all around.

It's okay to like something that's not good. 

I don't know why people have such an issue with this concept. 

• Upvote (+1) 21
  • Downvote (-1) 22

It's okay to like something that's not good. 

I don't know why people have such an issue with this concept. 

You can't say its not good. Not good compared to other Halo's? Subjectively, probably yes. But it was one of the best games around at the time and had the population to show. It was a fucking awesome game.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Not good compared to other Halo's?

His exact statement was people comparing it to CE, so yes, that is the obvious context. 

The point is that Halo 3 can have a truckload of terrible flaws and you can still enjoy the game. You don't have to justify your enjoyment of anything unless you feel like you need to. 

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Would you agree that a game requiring faster reaction times is more skillful than a game that doesn't demand reaction times to be as fast? Would you agree that a game where mistakes are punished harder is more skillful than a game where mistakes aren't punished as hard?

Also, I'm curious to know which specific characteristics you believe are subjective when determining a game's competitiveness.

No I wouldn't agree with any of that.

For starters, raw reaction time isn't even that important in any halo game. As long as you have a pulse and thumbs, your reaction time will probably not be a limiting factor for your skill level. Also, why do you believe that h1 requires faster reaction time than any other halo? Throughout all of the H1 I've been playing lately (a lot), I have yet to die because I didn't react fast enough. 99% of the time it's because of poor positioning or not being used to projectile weapon aiming.

Secondly, I don't see how mistakes are punished harder. At worst case, you die, loose power weapons, power ups, and positioning. How is that any different than making mistakes in any other halo? Are you referring to the speed with which you get punished for mistakes? Because a perfect tsk is faster than someone can react, but a fsk isn't?

I get what you're saying, but I really see nothing to suggest that it inherently takes more skill. It really just looks like a difference in perspective.

"I like halo 1 because if I can catch enemies off guard, I can quickly kill them before they react"

"I like halo 2 because even if an enemy catches me off guard, if I can coordinate with my team we can kill them"

It's like the flip side of the same coin. I don't see how one side could inherently take more or less skill.

Not digging all the Halo 3 hate. I understand if you liked CE and wanted CE 2.0 then H3 wouldn't have been your cup of tea. However its a dick move insulting the game that tons of people enjoy. The game wasn't perfect, but it was still a masterpiece - competitively and all around.

I really enjoy Halo 3, but now that I have access to Halo 1 and 2 alongside it, I find myself not enjoying it at all in comparison. The BR spread in particular is extremely frustrating. I still like it (I have over 30,000 kills in Halo 3 on the 360 so I have enjoyed it), but compared to the delights of Halo 1 and 2 I find myself annoyed when Halo 3 gets voted.

I really enjoy Halo 3, but now that I have access to Halo 1 and 2 alongside it, I find myself not enjoying it at all in comparison. The BR spread in particular is extremely frustrating. I still like it (I have over 30,000 kills in Halo 3 on the 360 so I have enjoyed it), but compared to the delights of Halo 1 and 2 I find myself annoyed when Halo 3 gets voted.

Same tbh, but I will still always prefer H3 BR's over Halo 2 SMG's  or a shit Halo 2/CE map (which are concerningly popular)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Same tbh, but I will still always prefer H3 BR's over Halo 2 SMG's  or a shit Halo 2/CE map (which are concerningly popular)

I am yet to play a shit CE map (Chiron isn't in rotation, and that is a shit map). I seriously love all of them at the moment. Halo 2, Colossus I dislike, there's a couple that are iffy but Turf, Lockout, Sanc, Midship, Zanzibar and others I can't get enough of that.

Halo 3 for some reason consistently gets Ghost Town and Orbital. Frustrating.

We need to tweet at bravo asking for the broken ranks in all playlists. Isn't it a server side tweak? It would fix the quitting issue for the most part so fuck it why not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Those feels when within a week of announcing, Oldschool runescape implements a game changing and heavily awaited Grand Exchange pretty much flawlessly.

Where talking about Jagex... JAGEX, doing something massively successful in the current decade.... oh 343....

I would just like to thank 343 for giving me no option other than to jump to PC. I have been very slowly been picking up csgo, however last night I unlocked a Huntsman Fade :D $$$

Cheers Kents, that's about half the cost of my doorstop of a console back :)

It was far from a masterpiece. If you enjoy it that's fine. Saying Halo 3 was a masterpiece is like saying Transformers 2 was a masterpiece. Sure it was incredibly popular, made a shitload of money, and by way of numbers a total success. Doesn't change the fact that it was a bad movie.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

What if it makes everything worse before the 100K tourny? H2A is much better for the viewer experience recently, they might not want to mess that up for the big tourny.

Then don't use it for the tournament. 

the majority of my games are uneven teams now wtf is goin on

I know its only been recently too, the game was working pretty good about a week or 2 ago. now it just feels like its getting worse for no reason

I wonder if they are going to wait until after PAX to patch the game.....

They'll patch it just before and there'll be a big argument about whether or not to use it.

• Upvote (+1) 1