CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

i'm just happy that some bigger names in the community are finally stepping up to the plate and letting 343 know this is unacceptable. there's not much we can do and it's extremely unfortunate because halo has been a big part of all our lives but in the end it all comes down to 343 blowing it. JUST THINK if this game actually worked how incredible it would be. I could play halo 2 with friends I haven't played with in 7 years. But no, I don't even have the game anymore. Sold it for AW a week after release because I had a feeling this game would never be fixed. Here we are two months later and look at us :(

sigh. it just really sucks because i truly think if everything went right this game had so much potential. potential to grow even more, potential to bring this community back together, potential to bring halo back. but nah, 343 went and messed everything up. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

So today’s the 2 month anniversary of the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection release and there are still countless issues with the game. I honestly don’t know how to feel anymore, I could say I’m angry but I’m not. It’s so far past that, it’s amazing how a great idea on paper can be screwed up so bad. I can’t think of anything good that came from the release of the game. 343i looks incompetent in the gaming medium, our competitive league is praying the game doesn’t crash during tournaments, and the franchise is shitstained with this bad reputation now to deter future fans.

I think the biggest gripe I have with the series is the idea of playing with my friends again. Online shooters in recent years have gone the modern war route. This is not one persons fault - if that’s what people enjoyed then fine. But for me and a group of friends, arena shooters on the console like Halo 1-3 always had a special place in our hearts when we played them in our teens. The game was supposed to give us a second shot at our gaming glory years. A lot of us are finishing college, getting full times jobs, starting families etc. Its life, I know. But sometimes at night and on weekends we want to rewind with our favorite games online and modern games don’t do it. THIS WAS THE GAME, and 343 screwed it up. Plain and simple. No nameplate is going to help repair the damage and time you guys took away from us, the fans.

I think one of the things that sucks about the situation is that are honestly good people at 343i. I wish nothing but the best for them, but man, I don’t even know anymore after this dismal release. Your whole purpose as a studio is to lead the Halo name into a positive light but the last few years as a fan have just been dreadful. This was a chance for you guys to revive the franchise from irrelevance. I honestly feel we are now the Sonic of the Shooters, and it sucks. This brand used to be so prestigious, now it’s looked down on.

Now to all the happy go lucky fans, youtubers, content creators that want to pretend there are no issues with the game. You guys are the absolute worst. Grow some balls and be realistic - the release was a colossal failure for the all the different Halo communities and the Halo franchise itself. If you can’t say something negative about the franchise you love, do you actually love it? Nothing is worse than being fake and that’s what you are.

I don’t know what I wanted to achieve with this. I may have burned some bridges but you guys burned me worse. I’m not going to drop the whole lame #DontPreOrderH5 hashtag, shits lame and won’t make a difference. If you want to, speak with your wallet at release.

<3

It's an inside joke between me and my friends of how incompetent 343 is. It's absolutely disgusting how terrible of a job they have done since 2010.

You had me till Sonic of shooters Cyren. Bit hyperbolic. But I agree. I just hope they can fix this game soon and Halo 5 brings it back. I respect/like a lot of people at 343i, but I LOVE Halo. I want nothing but the best for it. 

Here's to hoping? 

You had me till Sonic of shooters Cyren. Bit hyperbolic. But I agree. I just hope they can fix this game soon and Halo 5 brings it back. I respect/like a lot of people at 343i, but I LOVE Halo. I want nothing but the best for it. 

Here's to hoping?

How isn't it though? When's the last time anyone really cared a Sonic game was coming out? The franchise name is becoming that IMO, those aren't easy words to type as a fan of 12+ years.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How isn't it though? When's the last time anyone really cared a Sonic game was coming out? The franchise name is becoming that IMO, those aren't easy words to type as a fan of 12+ years.

I don't think you realize how BAD Sonic is, like... abysmal bad... Halo is still popular, it's still relevant. I think you're mistaking the competitive relevancy for it's industry relevance. I know you're upset but it's a bit too far. 

If you were to say, "its slowly becoming the next Killzone", yeah i'd agree. If Halo 5 isn't working at launch, then I can bet the series will head that way under 343i. Nobody will care and the franchise will wear out its welcome.

So far, I love the beta. It needs tweaks and an exciting new mode and an excellent campaign. If it works at launch and has those 3, we'll be okay. We can also almost guarantee that they'll make a big splash at launch with some sort of big tourney. 

I know it's not fair and is kind of slimey but Season 1 really was/is a test. I can see them going all out for S2 under H5. 

As for MCC, i'm hoping the silence/lack of patches is just them reworking this horrendous new multiplayer SDK that has been leaked. You can tell MCC/H5 are both using it. 

edit: and yeah, I understand the depressing/sad state you're in when you think of Halo. Kills me to see my favorite franchise in this state. Been there since the launch of H1/Xbox

Who really believes that this is all chalked up to some MS multiplayer thing though? That is nothing more than a blame shift. That info "leaked" yeah ok.

I don't think you realize how BAD Sonic is, like... abysmal bad... Halo is still popular, it's still relevant. I think you're mistaking the competitive relevancy for it's industry relevance. I know you're upset but it's a bit too far. 

If you were to say, "its slowly becoming the next Killzone", yeah i'd agree. If Halo 5 isn't working at launch, then I can bet the series will head that way under 343i. Nobody will care and the franchise will wear out its welcome.

So far, I love the beta. It needs tweaks and an exciting new mode and an excellent campaign. If it works at launch and has those 3, we'll be okay. We can also almost guarantee that they'll make a big splash at launch with some sort of big tourney. 

I know it's not fair and is kind of slimey but Season 1 really was/is a test. I can see them going all out for S2 under H5. 

As for MCC, i'm hoping the silence/lack of patches is just them reworking this horrendous new multiplayer SDK that has been leaked. You can tell MCC/H5 are both using it. 

edit: and yeah, I understand the depressing/sad state you're in when you think of Halo. Kills me to see my favorite franchise in this state. Been there since the launch of H1/Xbox

I never put competitive relevancy into the equation when talking about the franchise as a whole, that's dumb.

To think Halo is anywhere near the 2001-2009 popularity though is crazy, hell Reach had a population for a bit. Could this be franchise fatigue? could this be a change in gameplay or developer? I don't know, but other franchises seem to have no issues in this time for games.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you were to say, "its slowly becoming the next Killzone"

That's an odd comparison since Killzone has never come close to the impact Halo has had. The only reason that series has ever existed is so Sony can say they have an FPS. Halo was a landmark series that is now embarrassing an entire console. There is no good comparison for Halo since no developer has ever had such a large disconnect with their community.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I never put competitive relevancy into the equation when talking about the franchise as a whole, that's dumb.

To think Halo is anywhere near the 2001-2009 popularity though is crazy, hell Reach had a population for a bit. Could this be franchise fatigue? could this be a change in gameplay or developer? I don't know, but other franchises seem to have no issues in this time for games.

I def. did not say it was as popular as it used to be. I think it's just a product of 2 bad games. 

I don't think it's as much franchise fatigue as it is a shift to twitch shooting, fast TTK, etc that CoD has introduced. H4 just sucked, MCC is broken, I have no reason to believe Halo 5 won't be a success after playing the Beta (IF, and it's a big IF, the game works at launch). This is MS's flagship franchise and I think it's been a while since we've seen a proper, 3 year dev cycle game, with MS's financial backing. Actually, it IS the first for 343i. 

I'll give them this one, last chance because I honestly do believe Halo 5 will garner some support/fans. It feels fresh, it's fast, it's fun, it's exciting and it's fucking Halo. As much as I shit on 343, it's my baby. I love Halo. I don't want it to die. 

That's an odd comparison since Killzone has never come close to the impact Halo has had. The only reason that series has ever existed is so Sony can say they have an FPS. Halo was a landmark series that is now embarrassing an entire console. There is no good comparison for Halo since no developer has ever had such a large disconnect with their community.

True, although I feel like we have more say/impact under 343i than we did under Bungie. Bungie always acted like they knew everything. Didn't like how disconnected they were either.

Maybe Socom? 

Who really believes that this is all chalked up to some MS multiplayer thing though? That is nothing more than a blame shift. That info "leaked" yeah ok.

I try not to shift blame, because this is def. MS/343's fault, but it makes sense. The issues are so similar in both games and the SDK, without a doubt, proves there is a new system in place. It makes sense Halo 5 beta is using it but it never states MCC uses it, but you can maybe draw conclusions it did because the issues are so similar.
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I regret buying my xbone completely. I counted down the days till release, every day that I played League I said "Is it November yet?". The game finally came out and was(and still is) a huge disappointment for me. I never would've expected that I wouldn't be trying to go to every event for this game, and lanning at Brutus' house every chance I can get.

I thought that Halo would finally be going somewhere again. I didn't start playing until late H3 so I missed out on the majority of the Halo's peak, but I thought with HCS, and a large amount of dev support Halo might be like it once was. But instead I realized that I wasted 400 dollars for a shiny new dust collector.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I regret buying my xbone completely. I counted down the days till release, every day that I played League I said "Is it November yet?". The game finally came out and was(and still is) a huge disappointment for me. I never would've expected that I wouldn't be trying to go to every event for this game, and lanning at Brutus' house every chance I can get.

I thought that Halo would finally be going somewhere again. I didn't start playing until late H3 so I missed out on the majority of the Halo's peak, but I thought with HCS, and a large amount of dev support Halo might be like it once was. But instead I realized that I wasted 400 dollars for a shiny new dust collector.

I would have sold off my X1 already if I didn't get it for $250 and have $300 store credit to spend. Got quite a decent amount of games from it :P

But it sucks because the one thing I bought my Xbox for, I don't even want to play it anymore, like at all. 

Bungie always acted like they knew everything.

Oh trust me, they still are. They're the Destiny community's problem now.

I regret buying my xbone completely. I counted down the days till release, every day that I played League I said "Is it November yet?".

Same here, man. I fully regret this purchase. The thing is, Sony isn't impressing me either. This generation sucks so bad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

VinFTW, on 11 Jan 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

Bungie always acted like they knew everything.

Same here, man. I fully regret this purchase. The thing is, Sony isn't impressing me either. This generation sucks so bad.

Nothing worth playing coming out for a while. Pretty much all I have to wait for is Batman, H5 and hope that Rainbow 6 Siege and The Division are good.

To add to this, I'll never buy an online game on PS4 again. PSN is a fucking shit show, and that's no joke. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would have sold off my X1 already if I didn't get it for $250 and have $300 store credit to spend. Got quite a decent amount of games from it :P

But it sucks because the one thing I bought my Xbox for, I don't even want to play it anymore, like at all. 

I have no desire to play my xbone at all. I would take it back, but I'd like to hope that 343i will give me a reason to use it sometime.

I have no desire to play my xbone at all. I would take it back, but I'd like to hope that 343i will give me a reason to use it sometime.

It's the new Gears of War that is keeping my hopes alive.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's never going to work as advertised. They aren't incompetent they just don't care because it was released broken on purpose. Catch up guys, you're almost there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So today’s the 2 month anniversary of the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection release and there are still countless issues with the game. I honestly don’t know how to feel anymore, I could say I’m angry but I’m not. It’s so far past that, it’s amazing how a great idea on paper can be screwed up so bad. I can’t think of anything good that came from the release of the game. 343i looks incompetent in the gaming medium, our competitive league is praying the game doesn’t crash during tournaments, and the franchise is shitstained with this bad reputation now to deter future fans.

I think the biggest gripe I have with the series is the idea of playing with my friends again. Online shooters in recent years have gone the modern war route. This is not one persons fault - if that’s what people enjoyed then fine. But for me and a group of friends, arena shooters on the console like Halo 1-3 always had a special place in our hearts when we played them in our teens. The game was supposed to give us a second shot at our gaming glory years. A lot of us are finishing college, getting full times jobs, starting families etc. Its life, I know. But sometimes at night and on weekends we want to rewind with our favorite games online and modern games don’t do it. THIS WAS THE GAME, and 343 screwed it up. Plain and simple. No nameplate is going to help repair the damage and time you guys took away from us, the fans.

I think one of the things that sucks about the situation is that are honestly good people at 343i. I wish nothing but the best for them, but man, I don’t even know anymore after this dismal release. Your whole purpose as a studio is to lead the Halo name into a positive light but the last few years as a fan have just been dreadful. This was a chance for you guys to revive the franchise from irrelevance. I honestly feel we are now the Sonic of the Shooters, and it sucks. This brand used to be so prestigious, now it’s looked down on.

Now to all the happy go lucky fans, youtubers, content creators that want to pretend there are no issues with the game. You guys are the absolute worst. Grow some balls and be realistic - the release was a colossal failure for the all the different Halo communities and the Halo franchise itself. If you can’t say something negative about the franchise you love, do you actually love it? Nothing is worse than being fake and that’s what you are.

I don’t know what I wanted to achieve with this. I may have burned some bridges but you guys burned me worse. I’m not going to drop the whole lame #DontPreOrderH5 hashtag, shits lame and won’t make a difference. If you want to, speak with your wallet at release.

<3

Couldn't have been said any better than this tbh. Bottom line.

Is there any chance 343 will finally listen after H5 fails? Like how can anyone possibly believe that game will bring Halo back after everything we have seen?

I remember being excited for Christmas break because of all the free time I would have to play Halo. Now that break is ending, I feel totally depressed and let down because I still cannot play this game the way I want to play it. This Halo 5 beta is not something that gets me excited for the future of Halo. I seriously doubt 343 will change H5 for the better, or at all. But I hope I am wrong.

MCC being a nightmare hurts the community more than anyone really knows. Getting pathetic at this point. 

My worst fear confirmed: The balance of the Halo franchise hinges on Halo 5. First impressions are everything, and MCC squandered unlimited potential to bring this series back into a major spotlight. 

I am trying to stay optimistic but it is a bit difficult. We have Josh Holmes tweeting things like this in response to poll threads, disregarding multiple communities to follow their own twisted vision for Halo. 

Unless the pro team can manage to make some serious changes internally after this beta, we are looking at another Call of Duty hybrid clone. Halo 5 is literally a handful of changes away from being good. Ridiculous. 

It just feels more like its their game than all of our communities. I know they are doing this beta for feedback but is it truly to benefit us or for them to just try to convince us to be content with their decisions?

It's kinda pathetic at this point. Why is it for this company taking feedback and actually putting it into consideration or testing is so tough. I never understood. I understand polls can have some bias to them depending on the community but how many polls about sprint do we need in EVERY community to convince them majority doesn't want it?

Like you said its hard to stay optimistic and the saddest part of this all is i fear instead of letting the players who are against sprint know they understand our concerns they want to continually force their ideas onto us whether we like it or not.  Not cool at all.

MCC being a nightmare hurts the community more than anyone really knows. Getting pathetic at this point. 

I seriously have about a 5% success rate of getting a match, whether or not they're balanced teams or people stay is irrelevant. I just cannot find a game for the life of me.. Constantly telling me I need to check my privileges, tells others when they're hosting that one or more members in their party are not ready (me apparently) and once they give me host we just get into endless looping cycles of finding a games.

I'm a huge Halo CE fan, and have been teaching a number of people since the game came out. I haven't done anything in like 2-3 weeks because of these issues. Not to say I'm some hugely important person, but regardless I def see how bad it hurts the community

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think Blur put more love into their Halo 2A cinematics than 343 has put into Halo altogether.

May I put this into my signature?