CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I know most of the problems with the MCC have been online, but I really do hope that somehow glitches ruin the LAN tournament starting today.

They deserve as much shame and embarrassment as they can get.

Get over yourself.

I need someone to make the same tweet about Team Snipers.

As long as its popular, it'll stick around. If people who are begging for it play it, it'll stay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hope all the games start 5v3, spawning a new era of competitive Halo.

I am interested to see how many viewers turn up for this though. I'll have to check in at work on the twitch numbers.

If they pull like 20k I'll be pretty optimistic about the HCS and the health of competitive playlists in MCC for the long haul. If this thing is fewer than 10k, then I think the botched launch will start to show its effect.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

brb expecting big numbers during work hours, school hours, and finals week for what again...pools? I only watch smash but even then pools get like 2k viewers on saturday and the top 8 get like 15k+

I'm not sure what you are saying? Are you saying I'm dumb for expecting big numbers for an event? CSGO just ran Dreamhack and had 300,000+ viewers during work hours. I'm just comparing Halo numbers to other "successful" competitive games. When doing that comparison it is pretty depressing.

A successful competitive game needs sponsors, sponsors want viewers, when there are no viewers there will be no sponsors which means there will be no money. When there is no money, there will be no orgs willing to lose money on events, and there will be no players, and when there are no events, or players there is no competition. All I'm saying is unless by some miracle 50,000+ people (without ad block) start watching events that aren't watching regular streams, this game is going to fail competitively.

If you were, in fact implying that i was dumb for expecting more people than 300 people to be watching a game that is attempting to start a competitive league, please let me know why I am wrong. If that's not what you were implying, my bad, but everything I said in this post and others still rings true.

15k viewers in nothing when you factor in ad block, there is no ad money to be made from 15k viewers. If it were a single person streaming, yes 15k is good viewership. But for an even that is attempting to pay staff, players, and overhead, the ad revenue from 15k people minus adblock viewers will leave companies bankrupt.

I'm not sure what you are saying? Are you saying I'm dumb for expecting big numbers for an event? CSGO just ran Dreamhack and had 300,000+ viewers during work hours. I'm just comparing Halo numbers to other "successful" competitive games. When doing that comparison it is pretty depressing.

A successful competitive game needs sponsors, sponsors want viewers, when there are no viewers there will be no sponsors which means there will be no money. When there is no money, there will be no orgs willing to lose money on events, and there will be no players, and when there are no events, or players there is no competition. All I'm saying is unless by some miracle 50,000+ people (without ad block) start watching events that aren't watching regular streams, this game is going to fail competitively.

If you were, in fact implying that i was dumb for expecting more people than 300 people to be watching a game that is attempting to start a competitive league, please let me know why I am wrong. If that's not what you were implying, my bad, but everything I said in this post and others still rings true.

15k viewers in nothing when you factor in ad block, there is no ad money to be made from 15k viewers. If it were a single person streaming, yes 15k is good viewership. But for an even that is attempting to pay staff, players, and overhead, the ad revenue from 15k people minus adblock viewers will leave companies bankrupt.

Halo has zero chance to reach CS levels of viewership. That's not realistic. CS is a global game, an established game, and a pretty deep game with a great spectator experience.

What Halo needs to do is stand up to CoD tournaments, and fighting game tournaments. It has a chance to do that if the game is fixed by Christmas, and people enjoy watching H2A enough.

It will never catch League, CS, DOTA, etc, and that's okay. And if 343 is backing the game with help from Microsoft, the game will live through this year, and Halo 5 will succeed too. It's far less dependent on pure viewership and sponsors, because it has a major backer with an investment in the title.

Halo has zero chance to reach CS levels of viewership. That's not realistic. CS is a global game, an established game, and a pretty deep game with a great spectator experience.

What Halo needs to do is stand up to CoD tournaments, and fighting game tournaments. It has a chance to do that if the game is fixed by Christmas, and people enjoy watching H2A enough.

It will never catch League, CS, DOTA, etc, and that's okay. And if 343 is backing the game with help from Microsoft, the game will live through this year, and Halo 5 will succeed too. It's far less dependent on pure viewership and sponsors, because it has a major backer with an investment in the title.

COD never sits at 300 viewers, and when there is an event there are way more viewers than 15k. That's what I'm implying, the numbers even for the launch event, which i think will be the highpoint, weren't impressive. I was just pointing out the viewership numbers are not looking promising.

And why should companies and fans of games be "okay" with their game not catching the most successful E-Sports game? I doubt that was Microsoft's or 343's thought when they announced the HCS. They weren't going for the least successful E-Sport game on the market.

all i can say is lol. I disagree with everything. What will make or break halo as a competitive title is if people enjoy playing the game so much they will show up to tournies.

And halo at its peak never broke 100k or even 50k.

COD never sits at 300 viewers, and when there is an event there are way more viewers than 15k. That's what I'm implying, the numbers even for the launch event, which i think will be the highpoint, weren't impressive. I was just pointing out the viewership numbers are not looking promising.

And why should companies and fans of games be "okay" with their game not catching the most successful E-Sports game? I doubt that was Microsoft's or 343's thought when they announced the HCS. They weren't going for the least successful E-Sport game on the market.

I agree that COD is ahead of Halo right now in viewership right now, I'm just saying Halo needs to stand up to it. It needs to be present and active in the tournament scene, and offer a competitive experience in matchmaking that people want to watch.

I'm not even going to get into what I think of the stream so far, I'm just hoping that people enjoy what they are watching to not have this game die in the next year.

They should be okay with it because in my opinion, the PC demographic is more involved in competition and active viewership in competitive titles than consoles. Bottom line is consoles are more casual, and no console exclusive shooter could ever hope to match what PC gamers do for their games. It's just not realistic. CoD has an inherent advantage with player base and all, so if Halo can be in that ballpark, it's really good considering what Halo has gone through.

all i can say is lol. I disagree with everything. What will make or break halo as a competitive title is if people enjoy playing the game so much they will show up to tournies.

And halo at its peak never broke 100k or even 50k.

So you are implying that a competitive game does not need sponsors to be successful? I think you might be drinking the same stuff 343 were when they thought it was okay to release MCC in the state it was in. Can you give one example of a game that has even had a successful E-Sports scene with no sponsors? You must not have much experience with twitch if you think 15k viewers is "a lot" for an organization who is trying to host a tournament that pays players and staff. 

Whether you agree or not, Twitch is the driving force behind E-Sports, of course people have to enjoy playing the game, but if people don't enjoy watching it, there is no money to be made by companies hosting tournaments.

What the hell is up with Halo tournament streams these days?

Long periods of "we'll be back soon" with ear cancer dubstep.

Lack of communication from the event organisers when the next game will be.

I just can't take Halo seriously when the production is piss poor, nothing will compare to MLG's amazing production.

Iron gaming is just a fail how can anyone take HCS serious when

1.The quality is trash

2.Absolutely zero communication towards chat in terms of when the next match will be

3.Audio issues

4.And don't take it personally but the commentators are just plain annoying to listen to and reek of bland.

Sorry to be a debie downer but the whole 40 minutes to start a game and then we'll be right back in a few erks me.

They just threw on some garbage dubstep crap and said "we'll be back in a few"  it's been nearly 10 minutes FFS, I have a suggestion how about stay and commentate on the teams and say who they are and just talk instead of pissing off, I should become a commentator I would only have to talk in a robotic monotones voice for 10 minutes and then get big 20 minute breaks to eat sounds like a great job.

Great professionalism guys!

• Upvote (+1) 2

What the hell is up with Halo tournament streams these days?

Long periods of "we'll be back soon" with ear cancer dubstep.

Lack of communication from the event organisers when the next game will be.

I just can't take Halo seriously when the production is piss poor, nothing will compare to MLG's amazing production.

Iron gaming is just a fail how can anyone take HCS serious when

1.The quality is trash

2.Absolutely zero communication towards chat in terms of when the next match will be

3.Audio issues

4.And don't take it personally but the commentators are just plain annoying to listen to and reek of bland.

Sorry to be a debie downer but the whole 40 minutes to start a game and then we'll be right back in a few erks me.

They just threw on some garbage dubstep crap and said "we'll be back in a few"  it's been nearly 10 minutes FFS, I have a suggestion how about stay and commentate on the teams and say who they are and just talk instead of pissing off, I should become a commentator I would only have to talk in a robotic monotones voice for 10 minutes and then get big 20 minute breaks to eat sounds like a great job.

Great professionalism guys!

It's most likely not all on Iron Gaming. The long down times may be due to lobby bugs. Don't judge a company on their ability to host a broken game.

It's most likely not all on Iron Gaming. The long down times may be due to lobby bugs. Don't judge a company on their ability to host a broken game.

nvm my bad was supposed to put this in the IG thread.

I know most of the problems with the MCC have been online, but I really do hope that somehow glitches ruin the LAN tournament starting today.

They deserve as much shame and embarrassment as they can get.

Haha 100% this.

It takes a special kind of developer to take your favourite franchise and ruin it to the point where not only do you not care about it any more, but begin celebrating its failure.

Makes me feel bad for the mods of this forum as obviously they don't want Beyond to be a negativity circle-jerk, but I guess it's kind of inevitable when 343 are destroying themselves so gloriously.

• Upvote (+1) 6

google Hardy Lebel and read his blogs and posts behind Halo CE's multiplayer development. Things were very intentional but I just don't think he realized the level of depth it would provide. For example, nading weapons was completely intentional by design, but standing off spawn and searching for certain stars/pixels to nade weapons wasn't really what they had in mind or found in testing. Pistol was intended to be the way it was, and camo was intended to have different fade rates on various weapons. (quick camo) The spawn system is another mystery, but almost everything was intentional its just that they didn't realize how extreme certain things were.

Game wasn't really a fluke, but even they didn't realize just how deep of a masterpiece they created.

Very cool man thank you for that!

Hey guys,

Sorry for kind of being off-topic regarding the MCC.  I just picked up a new pair of A40s Gen 2 and my friends are saying that it's hard for them to hear me.  Any easy fixes for this or the known cause of this? 

Speak just a little louder most likely.

• Downvote (-1) 1

The real sad thing is anyone having never played hce playing MCC hce will have the opinion that the hype was unwarranted.

that's the biggest tragedy of them all.

• Upvote (+1) 2

that's the biggest tragedy of them all.

Well I never played CE before MCC and while it might be a piece of crap that lags as opposed to the original one, it's still more fun than anything else on MCC.

I regret that hitmarkers are gone though. It's like 343 made the netcode even worse to piss us off for asking for their removal. Most of the time, even with hitmarkers, my shots still went where I'd expect them to, and I didn't have to spend 10 hours correcting my shot to then switch to my AR, but now it's like nothing at all connects.

Anyhow, overall, MCC as a whole now has the opinion that the hype for the entire thing was unwarranted, and I don't think CE is singled out. H2 is also a mediocre version and H3 you might as well not use a headset and it'll be less confusing. 

I love CE, but I don't vote it as it's pointless. I'll just end up raging thanks to the connections.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I realize these numbers are a little out of date but shit man...

gQOnnzC.png

No one bought this game. The population has to be in the low 10s of thousands at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 4

gQOnnzC.png

No one bought this game. The population has to be in the low 10s of thousands at this point.

WOW. That's ridiculous. 

gQOnnzC.png

1. It's a remake. It's not going to attract new players.

2. It's on a console that only has 7 or so million in sales

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What are these sales compared to xbones other exclusives?

Kinda depressing considering H3 sold 3 million the first day on a new console, 7 years ago.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wonder if this includes digital?  Everyone I know bought digital.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The sales for both would have been much higher had this game not dropped the ball on legitimately everything.

Also, got to try out some MCC at a friends house a couple nights ago when an update dropped. Glad to see that finding game is not a guarantee. We ended up playing some campaign because we could not find a single match in 15 minutes. #WeBack

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hope all the games start 5v3, spawning a new era of competitive Halo.

I am interested to see how many viewers turn up for this though. I'll have to check in at work on the twitch numbers.

If they pull like 20k I'll be pretty optimistic about the HCS and the health of competitive playlists in MCC for the long haul. If this thing is fewer than 10k, then I think the botched launch will start to show its effect.

No need to hope...

Shit I used to love playing H3. Now every time I get it I cringe having to use that BR.  Love the sniper though.

And just got H3 again. Damn.