CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

So I was just innocently queing some h2c with my mate and this happened:

My MCC crashes.

I restart.

It insta joins him before I can even press start and without accepting any invite.

We suddenly get lagged into a off-host style lobby.

It's 4v4 and it assigns 4 of us to blue and 4 to red.

My and my mate are on the same team.

Suddenly connecting to a dedicated server pops up.

Next thing we know it loads beaver creek.

And as someone who has played 400 games off p2p mcc I can honestly say:

Dedis are the shit. All BR shots registered, even longe range. Same goes for melees. Dedis are the shit!

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 More Halo CE Achievements to go. 

1.) Beat Halo CE Legendary under 3 hours

2.) Beat Two Betrayals without getting a new weapon [Legendary]

3.) Beat Two Betrayals without killing grunts. [Legendary]

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't imagine the type of halo that guy wants. Even in halo 4 the good players still out shine the shit ones. He must want some next level shit of dumbing the game down.

Yeah, I don't know what he thinks removing the skillgap would accomplish. I'm not even sure if removing a skillgap from a game is even possible. You can get close, but I don't think you could ever completely eliminate it. Also, I think it would be even more frustrating to lose when you know you are better than to lose when you know you are worse.

These issues are more than heads or tails. They have a lot more sides to them than may be readily apparent.

Oh my god so much this. I'd actually buy a Limited Edition again (haven't done so since h3) for just Kotor 1 +2, Rep Commando and Battlefront 1 and 2 in HD.

Honestly I always thought that Jedi Academy was a great way to move the series away from Kyle Katarn, but they never made one aftwards so eff that.

It's insane how many games were canceled at Lucasarts, pretty much everything you listed and more.

Jedi Academy was my first real online game and I have been a top player worldwide(through esl actually) for quite a few years. Game is virtually dead now. Wish Lucasarts would give us another kotor or jedi knight game :(

This is a reply to the OP:

To some, it's more than just a video game and they do make money off it. But not everyone can be at their level, resulting in bruised egos, injured pride and simple envy. I'm not saying I disagree with you since I personally think video gaming should not be considered more competitive than real sports that involve athleticism beyond good eye-thumb twitch reflexes, but elements of the video game industry and other outside parties looking to make money off this have somehow created this competitive gaming phenomenon.

It'll all burst eventually, of course. Such fads always do. Unless you're in Korea of course. Or if advancements in VR technology are such that things are taken to the next level where you're actively competing, full body and soul, in virtual battlefields. But right now, deeming championships involving console shooters, RTS or MOBAs as bonafide "competition" with leagues and all is simply laughable, IMO.

That said, last night I hopped into Halo 3 and got my @$$ handed to me repeatedly. I was never that good at it but Reach and H4 severely ruined my reflexes and skill therein. I might actually want to keep trying and get better, but I'm not making a big deal out of it either.

This post makes me mad and hopeful, all at the same time. 

First for the mad part:

For some reason the poster considers "competition" and "athleticism" as inseparable. Sports definitely requires tons of athleticism, but competition has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with how physical a sport or event is. Look at businesses that compete for sales, writing competitions, coding competitions. None of the activities that I just listed have anything to do with (sports or athleticism) but it is highly competitive. 

For reference the definition of competition as found in meriam webster is - "the act or process of trying to get or win something (such as a prize or a higher level of success) that someone else is also trying to get or win : the act or process of competing" 

The confusion probably stems from the word Esports, which in my eyes is an asinine term. Sports are widely considered to be active and athletic events. Sitting in a chair moving a mouse or controller is about as far away from traditional sports as you can get. Many people who are used to traditional sports can't get over the use of the word "sports" and applying it to video games. I know for me after playing football and basketball it was hard to take the "word" (note I said word and not scene) seriously. At this point it is more than likely to late to change it and sadly, I have no alternative name for video game competitions. 

The fact the poster states championships as not being "real" competition.....

#NotEvenWorthReply

For the hope part:

At least he realizes that Reach and 4 made him worse at the game!

Conclusion or TLDR:

Competition exists outside of athletic events. The term Esports is provocative and catchy, but aligns itself far too much with sports, when it should be describing top level competition. Even some people who do not care about "competitive halo" realize that Halo Reach and 4 are less competitive games.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting video Gandhi posted of how melees work in H2A. No idea if this has already been posted or discussed. 

No momentum = triple melee kill

momentum = double melee kill

melee + jump melee = double melee kill

jump melee w/ rockets = one melee kill

• Upvote (+1) 3

I said it a thousand times in the past and everyone disagreed with me but I'll say it once more...

EVERY PLAYLIST SHOULD BE RANKED

Not for the benefit of the competitive community - but for the thumbless AR warriors. A proper ranking system will only pair like-skilled players. If you never encounter anyone good at Halo... you won't know you are bad at Halo.

One social playlist - Action Sack. Rank everything else and you've effectively eliminated the skill gap (or at least hidden it behind a curtain).

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You can hate on Halo 5 all you want but you are naive if you don't think there is a heavy focus on competitive play. Holy shit.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't care I've never played it and this is already the most dev support for competitive we have ever had. A ranking system that is incredible, spectator mode, in game weapon timers, the Halo Channel that is focusing on e-sports, tournaments with huge money pools.

Is it bad I'm more excited to play H5 beta than MCC once my xb1 comes in?

I'm hype to play it as well.

I said it a thousand times in the past and everyone disagreed with me but I'll say it once more...

EVERY PLAYLIST SHOULD BE RANKED

Not for the benefit of the competitive community - but for the thumbless AR warriors. A proper ranking system will only pair like-skilled players. If you never encounter anyone good at Halo... you won't know you are bad at Halo.

One social playlist - Action Sack. Rank everything else and you've effectively eliminated the skill gap (or at least hidden it behind a curtain).

They don't have to make it "ranked", just give players a hidden ranking.  A lot of games do this.  I'm not sure if Halo ever has.  

I'm hype to play it as well.

MCC plays way too bad from what I'm reading so I'm not even that excited to play it. H5 beta looks like it'll run much smoother than MCC does so yea

the esports stuff I can really care less about, I don't really watch comp halo anymore but the game looks like it'll be somewhat fun in a casual or semi serious sense. Ranks are cool

They don't have to make it "ranked", just give players a hidden ranking.  A lot of games do this.  I'm not sure if Halo ever has.  

From my experience with those kind of games, it never even works all that well.

Also MCC does have this. I played about 400 games of MM and I keep running into the same people and I usually get somewhat decent people in my games. I created an alternate acc the other night and instantly got matched up with some of the dumbest players I have ever seen.

Is it bad I'm more excited to play H5 beta than MCC once my xb1 comes in?

I don't think so. I said on the first reveal that if the game never had "Halo" in it's game title, It would of got a lot more attention and hype then it did.

It's definitely not a Halo game. But if you can get past that it's called "Halo 5", i think it shows potential to be solid. I'm excited to see what the beta has in store.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't care I've never played it and this is already the most dev support for competitive we have ever had. A ranking system that is incredible, spectator mode, in game weapon timers, the Halo Channel that is focusing on e-sports, tournaments with huge money pools.

Who cares if I enjoy a game when I can watch others win money on a game I prob won't like to watch either.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting video Gandhi posted of how melees work in H2A. No idea if this has already been posted or discussed. 

Makes me wish Lockout had a Brute shot instead of Sword. It's not overpowered, can one hit jump melee, but you can't whip it out in 0.2 seconds. Allows to punish someone who's not aware and unsuspecting. 

It serves the same purpose as a sword but isn't as much of free kills at the sword is. On top of that, it's a better weapon to pressure with at range and will still win a simultaneous melee fight due to its faster melee cooldown and base damage.

Sentinel Beam is also a one shot jump kill.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tried for half an hour. Got nowhere. Gaming is supposed to be a release of stress not the cause. Congrats 343, you've lost me and no doubt literally thousands of others.

The only reason i'm witholding on how I actually feel is because i've got a red admin tag and don't want to look like my views represent the brilliant Beyond and everything the guys here have strived to create over the last year or so.

We were all just so excited about this. I'm done.

I feel you man. I've given up on MP as well but it's not all bad. I've personally discovered speedrunning for myself and enjoying it quite a bit.

• Upvote (+1) 1