CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I was also under the impression that that's the one thing 343 did themselves, but as it turns out the UI was made by United Front Games (Sleeping Dogs).

This almost feels like CS GO where the release build felt like a beta and was developed by some outside dev and then valve took over and patched the game into the great thing it is today.

I think 343 should have gotten more involved way earlier to ensure that the game is actually working, outsourcing everything and taking care of a game post-launch is certainly a bad choice.

How long did that take?

Dersky tweeted something out and Quinn tweeted saying to stop doing that and to "fix your game". Obviously kidding but considering the company he works for just released a broken product and has been broken for two weeks now, not many of us are exactly into his joke.

Have you seen some of Quinn's tweets? He should stay away from Twitter.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How long did that take?

Depends on what point you define as being the one where it was a good game. CS GO launched on August 21st 2012. It took 2 months to add skill ratings, competitive play and GOTV support (ingame spectating for your average viewer, like an alternative to watching on twitch). It took an entire year to add skins, which some would say is the point in time when cs go truly took off. During all of that they kept tweaking balance (and continue to do so).

Keep in mind that csgo was playable at launch. It did not crash all the time and you could actually play matchmaking and use the server list build into the game. It was only a god awfully balanced game that was lacking many essential feature. I couldn't find too many details on weapon balancing (since I'm awful with remembering dates) but I remember downloading a CS GO patch every week for a very long time and personally I started really enjoying the game about half a year after release.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Have you seen some of Quinn's tweets? He should stay away from Twitter.

There was a time when being a jackass to consumers meant immediate termination, if this was way way back then he'd be terminated on-spot for getting into childish over the phone arguments.

Depends on what point you define as being the one where it was a good game. CS GO launched on August 21st 2012. It took 2 months to add skill ratings, competitive play and GOTV support (ingame spectating for your average viewer, like an alternative to watching on twitch). It took an entire year to add skins, which some would say is the point in time when cs go truly took off. During all of that they kept tweaking balance (and continue to do so).

What are skins and what was so important about them? Casual appeal?

What are skins and what was so important about them? Casual appeal?

In CSGO, you can get skins and stickers for your weapons. Weapon skins are similar to H4's with the difference being that new ones constantly being added and they even take skins that are made by the community + there are pro team skins. Stickers work the same way with the difference being that you can put them anywhere on your gun that you want.

There are several ways to get skins: Play the game, you have a chance of getting one after each game. You can also get skin chests which you have to buy a key for to unlock. You can also buy skin chest and trade skins with other players. What's really important about this for competitive play, besides the fact that casuals nowadays love skins and having them increasing population a shit ton, is that you can bet skins on the outcome of pro matches and also buy team skins to support your favorite team. You also get them for ingame spectating pro matches via GOTV.

Skins play a huge part in the popularity of CS GO both as an eSport and as a casual game. The scene really took off after skins were introduced and prize money + viewership increased drastically.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Bravo can be on Twitter 'till his dick turns blue..."

I legit LOL'ed in my office at work, door closed, people still came by and were like, "WTF dude?"

:lol:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Evidence that ranks aren't working.  :kappa:

LOL. No kidding tho.

I got matched with Victory X last week (same team at least, thank goodness) and we should have been arrested for the things we did to the poor lads on the other team.

Same thing before that when I got matched with SK (again, luckily, same team).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Almost no games are being played on the dedicated servers. You see a message at the bottom right when you do get on one. It looks like the mm fixes so far have been shortening the time it tries to use a server.

Not sure why this guy was negged for that post, because in part, this is exactly what I think is happening in MM atm. If you remember back to one of their initial server side "updates," they claimed that it increased connectivity to dedicated servers by "20%." I have also noticed that I get the message "failed to connect to server" while trying to search for games in MM (sometimes I'll get that message 3+ times before finding players). Considering that most of the MM games that I have played are quite laggy, I would say that most MM games are currently being played on P2P connections.

Here is the Halo Waypoint "Bug Investigation" thread: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/85d779d52cfd46918b4f8b638f2e3c7b/topics/the-master-chief-collection-bug-investigation/e024f78f-6022-4a49-99ea-67562ec5b4ca/posts scroll down to the 11/15 update to read what I mentioned.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has anyone seen this review yet?

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/reviews/halo-master-chief-collection-review/

“Don’t Make A Girl A Promise… If You Know You Can’t Keep It”

Another big selling point with The Master Chief Collection, or any Halo game for the fact of the matter, is with its highly addictive Multiplayer component. The Halo franchise has always been regarded as one of the best games to experience in online Multiplayer because of its diversified and unique game modes, maps and overall feel. Once again, The Master Chief Collection accomplishes a very ambitious project by inserting every single multiplayer component from each Halo game (all with their original visual style and feel), along with a Halo 2: Anniversary-dedicated Multiplayer experience with six remastered Halo 2 maps. Unfortunately, it breaks my heart to say that it is the most broken aspect of the entire Master Chief Collection.   ... it is unacceptable to launch a Multiplayer-centric game with that many issues and expect players to wait more than a week until something is resolved. 343 should’ve prepared themselves a little better, knowing that Master Chief Collection is their biggest release of all-time and had high expectations coming from the community.

I would disagree. It seems to me that what is addicting is the engaging fire fights where you don't just drop all over the place like other shooters. It keeps people "engaged" rather than merely moving about the maps.

but to each his own... I don't understand why it was rated 9 out of 10, however.

Someone answer me this, or explain this to me. Forgive my ignorance, and this may be a dumb question, but how does making the max player count larger improve matchmaking time? Shouldn't finding less players decrease the time you spend finding a game?

It wasn't necessarily made to improve matchmaking time.  It kind of was but no.  Their logic was they wanted more space in every game so others who were still searching could get in.  I say it kind of was because it lowers search time for people still looking but not for people that were already in the lobby.  This whack as explanation was needed because 343.

@@overuled accidentally negged sorry!

At this point I'm not playing the game anyway (CE's netcode at this point is significantly inferior to even HPC's, which I've been playing in the meantime). So if they took the MP offline, or even significantly limited it, I couldn't care less as long as it meant that this mess would be sorted out more quickly!

Interesting find: I'm sure it's not a new button combo, especially since it's just a slightly modified BXR / BXB, but it would translate, using classic H2 controller scheme, to: R B X B, or alternatively, R B X R.

The interesting thing is that it is stupid easy to do in MCC if using the Universal Bumper Jumper control scheme. It ends up being: R RB B RB, or R RB B R.

Since BXR & BXB'ing seems to be difficult (at least for me) due to the increased frame rate, this slightly modified combo somehow makes it easier to pull off. I don't know if it's because of the extra button making the timing feel different or what, but it definitely has helped me.

EDIT: This is mostly helpful in campaign, btw. I mean, I suppose it could be in multiplayer as well, as it helps make pulling the BXR or BXB off successfully much easier, but the extra R in front of them would probably not really be needed in multiplayer otherwise.

I just went over to waypoint and saw the advertisement for MCC, like it is the new game on the block or something. It immediately felt like I was looking right at false advertisement knowing that they are selling a product that is broken.

Why is MCC still on the market? Why hasn't there been a recall?

/rhetorical questions, just expressing my disbelief with what I am seeing...

• Upvote (+1) 2

It really is amazing and to an extent i feel bad for 343. There is no way in hell that anybody WANTS to release a game that everyone hates. Everyone wants to be proud of their work. There is also no way they didn't know about the problems though. It just screams to me Microsoft's insistence on the launch time and H5 beta coming out. It likely split the workforce of 343 and made them unable to meet a deadline. Don't get me wrong 343 has to take some serious responsibility, because they knew the release date, and there was almost definitely steps they could have taken whether thats hiring more network engineers to meet their demand or whatever. But this launch in general has been a shit show, and I place most of the blame on Microsoft, despite 343's obvious ineptitutde.

It really is amazing and to an extent i feel bad for 343. There is no way in hell that anybody WANTS to release a game that everyone hates. Everyone wants to be proud of their work. There is also no way they didn't know about the problems though. It just screams to me Microsoft's insistence on the launch time and H5 beta coming out. It likely split the workforce of 343 and made them unable to meet a deadline. Don't get me wrong 343 has to take some serious responsibility, because they knew the release date, and there was almost definitely steps they could have taken whether thats hiring more network engineers to meet their demand or whatever. But this launch in general has been a shit show, and I place most of the blame on Microsoft, despite 343's obvious ineptitutde.

I wanted to read what you said, but your signature wouldn't let me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If we could avoid signatures like that, that'd be great.

Yea no prob. It was a throwback to the one I used on the old MLG forums.