CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I'm pretty sure they didnt actually fix anything, you just see a whole new bunch of errors that weren't visible pre patch.

Pre patch if I actually got as far as the map voting screen if the game didnt crash on startup I could play every time. I restarted the search every few minutes and rebooted MCC after each game and got around 1 game in 20 minutes.

Now I get failed to connect errors for around 75% of my sessions, and sometimes it just freezes at "players found" or "connecting to session". Then IF I do get a game sometimes it just does not start and everyone is stuck in the lobby. If that doesn't happen around half of the time my game fails to load at the map loading screen and I have to restart the search. All in all I get to play around 1 game in 20 minutes, but I have to restart much more often than pre patch.

Going from that in my opinion it is safe to say we are probably not getting a fix this year, and possibly never.

I'm pretty sure they didnt actually fix anything, you just see a whole new bunch of errors that weren't visible pre patch.

Pre patch if I actually got as far as the map voting screen if the game didnt crash on startup I could play every time. I restarted the search every few minutes and rebooted MCC after each game and got around 1 game in 20 minutes.

Now I get failed to connect errors for around 75% of my sessions, and sometimes it just freezes at "players found" or "connecting to session". Then IF I do get a game sometimes it just does not start and everyone is stuck in the lobby. If that doesn't happen around half of the time my game fails to load at the map loading screen and I have to restart the search. All in all I get to play around 1 game in 20 minutes, but I have to restart much more often than pre patch.

Going from that in my opinion it is safe to say we are probably not getting a fix this year, and possibly never.

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2ncgnd/halo_master_chief_collection_update_good_news/

Someone answer me this, or explain this to me. Forgive my ignorance, and this may be a dumb question, but how does making the max player count larger improve matchmaking time? Shouldn't finding less players decrease the time you spend finding a game?

I reckon if you tweet @halo [email protected]@Bravo they would come back with a response of why they choose to do it like this oddly enough? 

Someone answer me this, or explain this to me. Forgive my ignorance, and this may be a dumb question, but how does making the max player count larger improve matchmaking time? Shouldn't finding less players decrease the time you spend finding a game?

I just thought they put it to 10 max because all of the 8 max playlists were locking in at 9 or 10 players anyway. I don't think it has anything to do with improving the search, it just covers yet another screw up.

I don't know if people know, but if you play Halo 3 today you get an achievement.

Inb4 H3 slander. 

Yeah the 10 player thing makes no sense, not only does it make finding games longer, but 5v5 Halo as always been the most awkward player number of them all. 6v6 is fine, 7v7 is fine, even 3v3 is fine, but 5v5s have always been weird

This whole dedicated servers discussion on Waypoint is baffling me. Almost everyone seems to be indicating that they never get dedicated servers in any games but I seem to get them in almost every game. What experience is everyone else having?

"We had people who we hired who hated Halo because of 'X,'" said Frank O'Connor

It's just unbelievable he really said this. 343 isn't stupid or incompetent, they simply hate Halo. That's all.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't know what you guys expected. Like the only thing that's going to make people happy is a date that the game will finally be fixed. You guys say you want an update, that 343 needs to talk to us, then they release an update saying they realize things don't look good and everyone flips out saying that 343 is only apologizing ad not saying more.

What do you expect them to write? They don't have it fixed yet and they're telling us it's not fixed, I'd rather them be truthful with that than having them say it'll be fixed in three days and we get another broken patch.

Exactly. I also get annoyed by ppl returning their game because its not fixed yet. I understand the frustration but come on.... Halo 1 online???

Im really dissapointed myself about the status of the game, i took a week holiday for it.

But i have patience, i waited for 10 years and if i have to wait a few more weeks or even months its not that big of a deal.

I'm sick and tired of hearing them apologise. What I want to hear is them saying WHAT THEY'VE LEARNT FROM THIS. I want them to come out and say that they released it too early without testing it enough. I wish they would also come and out say what they learnt from Halo 4, but they didn't learn SHIT because it's fucking ALL IN HALO 5. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Will they be releasing a CE playlist once all the shit is sorted out?

I asked Bravo this in a tweet Sunday and he responded saying it will be added once matchmaking is fixed.

Who knows how long that will be at this point... unfortunately it could be a month or more for all we know. I don't understand why they can't just add the playlist now.

Exactly 3 weeks ago today was D-Day. The day we go from screaming "we back" to "oh no, this can't be happening". I still can't believe how 343 just shattered every bit of excitement we've had since E3 all the way up to nov. 11

Incredible

• Upvote (+1) 5

Hi

Oh poor you if you are indeed a female, and even more so if the "AU" means Australia lol. You're in for a world of hurt.

...and but "hurt" I mean desperation and dick pics.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Will they be releasing a CE playlist once all the shit is sorted out?

Yup - 2v2 one.

I just thought they put it to 10 max because all of the 8 max playlists were locking in at 9 or 10 players anyway. I don't think it has anything to do with improving the search, it just covers yet another screw up.

That was just a fuck up on the matchmaking teams part. They can easily change the player counts to 4v4 or 8v8. The two playlists that were available before the game came out was H2A Team Slayer and H2A Rumble - both had the correct team sizes. Heck, I think the original line up of playlists all had the correct sizes too until like an hour into the US launch.

Exactly 2 weeks ago today was D-Day. The day we go from screaming "we back" to "oh no, this can't be happening". I still can't believe how 343 just shattered every bit of excitement we've had since E3 all the way up to nov. 11

Incredible

I can't resist correcting people...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yup - 2v2 one.

That was just a fuck up on the matchmaking teams part. They can easily change the player counts to 4v4 or 8v8. The two playlists that were available before the game came out was H2A Team Slayer and H2A Rumble - both had the correct team sizes. Heck, I think the original line up of playlists all had the correct sizes too until like an hour into the US launch.

Can confirm this. I played from 5 p.m. CEST till Halofestival start on release day and all the 4v4 playlist had max players 8 etc.

I'm also really confused by this change, especially since it seems like it almost always finds 6-8 players quickly and then keeps searching for more (thus prolonging mm times).

Daily-Halo-4-Peak-Population.jpg

The infamous Halo 4 population decline. I think that, even though 343i probably won't release population numbers with the MCC because that is the kind of company they are, we will have something eerily similar to this again. That will mean 343i will be 0/2 in attaining players for their game. With Halo 5, they will likely finally strike out at 0/3. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Can confirm this. I played from 5 p.m. CEST till Halofestival start on release day and all the 4v4 playlist had max players 8 etc.

I'm also really confused by this change, especially since it seems like it almost always finds 6-8 players quickly and then keeps searching for more (thus prolonging mm times).

See that's what I didn't understand, it looks in 6-8 players pretty damn quick (for me at least), sometimes 9. Then would search and search and search, and finally lock the party at 9. If you have 1-2 players left over from every game that gets matched so you're playing 4v4's instead of 5v4's, 5v5's. That's 1-2 more people instantly in matchmaking ready for the next party that it puts together. Opposed to making us wait sometimes minutes to lock the match. Filter those people back out into MM to find another game. 1-2 players extrapolated over the population is a lot of damn people that you can then put into games and make more games, faster. Unless they think their dedicated server's currently can't handle the influx of matches that would occur due to limiting to 8 and then making more matches.

• Downvote (-1) 1

The infamous Halo 4 population decline. I think that, even though 343i probably won't release population numbers with the MCC because that is the kind of company they are, we will have something eerily similar to this again. That will mean 343i will be 0/2 in attaining players for their game. With Halo 5, they will likely finally strike out at 0/3. 

I don't think it'll be nearly as bad IF they manage to fix everything before the h5 beta. H4's main problem was a lack of ranking system, h4 being an awful game and 343 taking forever to patch balance. MCC on the other hand will have a very good ranking system, contains some really good games and while balance is fine, they are obviously trying to fix bugs ASAP.

The actual figure of people returning their game is really small and I think most people are simply waiting for it to be fixed.

Will it have the population figures it would have had with a smooth launch? Probably not. Will it be as dead of a game as quickly as h4? I highly doubt it.

If it takes them several months to get this game working properly I'll eat my words because in that case population will be low as fuck.

I don't think it'll be nearly as bad IF they manage to fix everything before the h5 beta. H4's main problem was a lack of ranking system, h4 being an awful game and 343 taking forever to patch balance. MCC on the other hand will have a very good ranking system, contains some really good games and while balance is fine, they are obviously trying to fix bugs ASAP.

The actual figure of people returning their game is really small and I think most people are simply waiting for it to be fixed.

Will it have the population figures it would have had with a smooth launch? Probably not. Will it be as dead of a game as quickly as h4? I highly doubt it.

If it takes them several months to get this game working properly I'll eat my words because in that case population will be low as fuck.

That's the tough thing about the MCC. An in-game ranking system was in place to give players that incentive they've always wanted, but the game is buggy.