CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Am I the only one who hates the spawns rotating? played Shrine for 1 match and spawned rotated more than 5 times.

You'll get used to it.  All it takes is a different mindset.  You can't think of it like Reach's Sanc or you'll just get pissed off.  It's a totally different map and it plays very differently.  Ring control is more important imo.  It also helps to not stack the 50 yard line or try to dominate "their side" of the map, as spawns will just rotate and you'll essentially flank yourself.  Watch some H2 VOD and see how FB and the gang played it.  If I recall, it was common to keep your team's sniper in your base to block spawns, and also to check for people spawning on your side.

It's still a good map.  Dynamic spawns just play very differently.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I usually have "decent" hit registration 1 out of 10 games.

First week the hit registration was great for me excluding Halo CE. Now it's almost unplayable.

Is it just me or is the shot registration in Halo 2 classic and anniversary absolutely horrendous ever since the first patch came out?

I too have noticed a difference since the patch. Although I have attributed the bad registration to it just being a bad host.

Is it just me or is the shot registration in Halo 2 classic and anniversary absolutely horrendous ever since the first patch came out?

I have noticed kill trades happening in h2c alot too, I can never remember BXRing someone in h2 who also BXRed me at the same time and we both die :S. The same thing is happening with BR kills too.

On top of that, people seem to randomly get stuck on the 4 second mark of the respawn screen and their dead body shows up on the radar... they have really outdone themselves with these patches and this collection!

This is so noobs can get easy shots in the back.  But yeah super irritating.

No, it's called dynamic spawns, which was in halo 2...the game halo 2 anniversary is a remaster of...so the dynamic spawns on sanc were kept to mirror it. 

Good lord man..

You'll get used to it.  All it takes is a different mindset.  You can't think of it like Reach's Sanc or you'll just get pissed off.  It's a totally different map and it plays very differently.  Ring control is more important imo.  It also helps to not stack the 50 yard line or try to dominate "their side" of the map, as spawns will just rotate and you'll essentially flank yourself.  Watch some H2 VOD and see how FB and the gang played it.  If I recall, it was common to keep your team's sniper in your base to block spawns, and also to check for people spawning on your side.

It's still a good map.  Dynamic spawns just play very differently.

^^^

what he said

• Upvote (+1) 2

No, it's called dynamic spawns, which was in halo 2...the game halo 2 anniversary is a remaster of...so the dynamic spawns on sanc were kept to mirror it. 

Good lord man..

Bro, do you even evolve.

If anyone at 343 or Microsoft expect me to believe that they thought this game was fully functional at launch --- they are 100% lying and out of their f-n minds.

They knew this was crap (maybe not the level of crap) - but they knew this would be broken, and still took all of our money.  

Because they know they can get away with it and they'd lose more for waiting to release it than not waiting and accepting/amending the backlash/bad publicty.

Got kicked out of searching for a match. No, I did not leave, and no I was not partied with anyone else.

That happened to me once as well.

Tried to play FFA, but couldn't find a game. Played a couple TS games and the game crashed once on the map loading screen. Just another day in MCC. I love that I bought the game for multiplayer and I'm mainly playing campaign.. The good side is it lets me get all those side quest achievements done like the skulls and toy dolls.

On the up side imo matchmaking is okishly useable atm if you use some tips:

Solo que:

-If the game gives you any error message while you are "connecting to session" like "Failed to connect to host" or anything else, back out and reque.

This simple technique has allowed me to get into a game every 2nd/3rd que or so. Don't just sit there and let it que for half an hour.

Team que:

-Invite your friends through the XBL Party app

-If any of your friends fails to connect to your party or the host gets the "X was added to the game" without them actually being in the game, have everyone restart their MCC

-If you spent too much time looking at "Connecting Session" reque (which means everyone backing out and host re-inviting everyone), I think this is because you get the same error message into no game bug you'd get for queing solo but it doesn't show since you are a party

-If anyone lags out of the party/game, have everyone restart their MCC.

-From my experience you have the best chance of finding a game directly after you restart your MCC, so don't be afraid to have everyone restart their MCC if you are in doubt.

General:

-Play Team Slayer and vote Halo CE. I'm not saying this for any gameplay reasons, but rather pure stability. Since the latest patch, Halo 3 has a 90% change of crashing while loading in MM for me, H2A is pure lag for one of my friends and H2C actually also works decently well but rarely crashes while loading. The only game breaking bug I have encountered in CE is every players game freezing at once. Also CE netcode feels way better since the patch.

-Unless you get the bug where it kicks you back to Main Menu after a game, STAY in the game. Even if you got raped or you completely trashed the enemy team, stay. It's by far the easiest way to simply keep a lobby going and keep getting into games. This will fuck up you and your friends being in the same team (which actually has been working ok when you first get into a game), but at least you can keep playing. Chain those games!

Now this still results in a experience full of restarting your game (I have not found a difference between restarting MCC and your Xbox so don't bother resetting your console), but at least I have been able to play MCC by myself and with my friends for the past couple of days.

Personally I don't really give a fuck about whether teams are balanced since it's all unranked anyway, but I feel like the game always finds 8 or less players first and then keeps searching because it can go up to 10 (and more). I have no idea about networking in videogames so I'd imagine 343's changes to team sizes/max players do make sense, but personally I feel like que times would be quicker and games more even if they'd simply reset parameters to what they are supposed to be.

I'm honestly as upset as the next guy about this, but solo que has been working for me decently since the first TU that came out Saturday after the game launched and team que has been "working" since the last patch has come out. Now I don't enjoy any other newer games these days a lot, so a broken MCC is still more enjoyable to me than pretty much anything that has come out in the past couple of years. However, I can certainly understand most peoples frustration and desire to move on to other games or even get a refund. By all means do that, if this was any other game I would have given Xbox Support an angry call and gotten a refund about a week ago, but since I still enjoy a broken game more than pretty much any other I could be playing right now, I'm fine. Hearing that Phil Spencer (head of Xbox) has taken some of MS's finest programmers and moved to 343 to fix this at least gives me hope that this'll be fixed in a timely manner. It seems to me like 343 will keep releasing weekly Patches + constant server tweaks until this is fixed and I'd imagine we'll get some form of compensation down the road (Bonnie Ross "Once we’ve done that, we will detail how we will make this right with our fans.").

I probably won't bother with H5 besides the beta and my trust in MS/343 for continuing to be an Xbox owner next Generation has certainly been shaken, but MCC is just way too good of a packages when it's working to give up so quickly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't really mind if you hire people who don't like the series, just don't give them the power to change anything.

All decisions should be run through a true lover of halo. Someone who knows the game inside and out and who can say "this is a terrible decision because of this reason" or can say "you know what I don't hate it but make change x,y and z and we'll see how it goes"

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am consistently finding games within a minute or two of searching. However, there are still many major pregame lobby and postgame lobby issues. My parties with friends are constantly subject to people being forced to leave while searching for a match or after we play a match, or people not being able to join because the session is full, when there are really only two people in the party. Once these issues are resolved, and the max player count goes from 10 to 8, I'll be very satisfied. Honestly, playing 5v5, 4v5, and the occasional 6v5 (because what the hell, right?) is more frustrating to me than all the connectivity issues.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Someone answer me this, or explain this to me. Forgive my ignorance, and this may be a dumb question, but how does making the max player count larger improve matchmaking time? Shouldn't finding less players decrease the time you spend finding a game?

• Upvote (+1) 6

I wish this game had a population counter so we could see the ridiculously low number of ppl that will be in the halo 4 playlist. there will be more ppl playing h4 campaign that it's multi, meanwhile everyone else will be playing halo 1-3, yet none of this is an indication to 343 as to what kind of halo we want.

life of a halo kid shouldn't be so hard

Someone answer me this, or explain this to me. Forgive my ignorance, and this may be a dumb question, but how does making the max player count larger improve matchmaking time? Shouldn't finding less players decrease the time you spend finding a game?

Bro. I asked this same question the other day. 343 does shit so stupid that it cannot be explained, in any way, shape or form. How does one not realize adding more players to a match will equal longer search times to find those players?

I feel like they are disrespecting my intelligence with such nonsense. How can they be so stupid? I wouldn't put it past them to try and make 5v5 the norm on the low. 

Someone answer me this, or explain this to me. Forgive my ignorance, and this may be a dumb question, but how does making the max player count larger improve matchmaking time? Shouldn't finding less players decrease the time you spend finding a game?

Ya, their logic on this is almost as flawed as their decision to release a game with pre-alpha functioning UI, matchmaking, and party systems.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@AkaDemiK @@TheFloyd

Okay, thank god I'm not alone on this. I tried rereading some of the patch notes to see if there was any technical reasoning to why making the max player count higher would optimize search time, but they offered very little reason as to why. Just kinda a head scratcher to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Part of me would be fine with them cutting MM for everything but H2A until they get that working.

I really want to play CE and H2C but I feel like if they can put all their effort into getting 1 game working then we might actually see some sort of improvement.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Part of me would be fine with them cutting MM for everything but H2A until they get that working.

I really want to play CE and H2C but I feel like if they can put all their effort into getting 1 game working then we might actually see some sort of improvement.

If it meant the game would be 100%, I wouldn't care if they took out online play for a few days at this point. Saddening that my thought process is working that way, but at this point I just want to play some freaking Halo without all of the baggage that MCC brings with it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wish this game had a population counter so we could see the ridiculously low number of ppl that will be in the halo 4 playlist. there will be more ppl playing h4 campaign that it's multi, meanwhile everyone else will be playing halo 1-3, yet none of this is an indication to 343 as to what kind of halo we want.

I'm 100% sure they removed the population counter for this very reason. They didn't want to publicly humiliate themselves. But it's 343, so they still managed to publicly humiliate themselves anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 6