CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

My guess as a somewhat-educated outside observer is that the matchmaking issues are being accentuated by the connection issues that are plaguing the game. In fact, most of the issues can likely be attributed to P2P networking issues.

Warning: completely unfounded generalizations and rampant speculation to follow...

I'd guess that matchmaking is doing a perfectly okay job of pulling folks into lobbies together. If I'm a matchmaking server, I want to get 8 10 people in my game as fast as possible. I pull in 10 people right away. Unfortunately, 6 of those 10 people can't connect to the person who is hosting the lobby, but it takes me a while to figure that out. Those 6 people get booted and I try to fill in the remaining 6 spots. I pull in another 6 people and 4 of them can't connect. Rinse. Repeat. And eventually we have a full game after 3 minutes of attempting to get the connections to line up.

This cycle is likely what's slowing down MM times.

These P2P connection issues are also why it's notoriously unreliable to hear your teammates in games and in lobbies.

I have no idea what's going on with parties, unbalanced teams, or any of the other big issues, but I'm willing to bet the P2P connection issues are what is causing long MM times...

If this is true, (and it somewhat makes sense), they're ******** for not just keeping but like it was in the past and connecting players one by one, then closing and starting the game when it gets to 8.

they will still put out a crap game. 

Sure but that will atleast give us more time to play MCC if it ever gets fixed.

they will still put out a crap game. 

Exactly. H5's problems has nothing to do with time and resources, it's the vision of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How can they possibly be the scapegoat? 

If a company goes out and hires other companies to redistribute some of their work to, it is 100% the original companies fault for not making sure everything was completely functional. 

343 hired/contracted those other companies right? It is on 343's shoulders to make sure everything else works right, otherwise go out and contract a different company

Uh, no. Microsoft had 343i working dilligently on Halo 5, with almost all their staff commited to it. They wouldn't want to undermine Halo 5, so Microsoft execs hired the others. Admittedly it is possible the very heads of 343i OK'd that, like Bonnie Ross. Still, Bonnie Ross=Bonnie Ross=/=343i.

+1

And if the MCC have been a huge success 343 had taken all the glory.

Basically. If that were the case, I'd be praising the entire crew and not just them.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Of course. I'm sure 343i is fully aware they're being used as the corporate scapegoat for mindless consumers to direct their hate to.

Mindless how? Believing in them and giving them our money?

This has by far been my most hyped experience that was destroyed. Still can't fathom how it could be this bad. Can't even play a game with friends who bought it and xb1 to play. I guess if you like campaign, but even that is supposedly having certain problems.

This whole thing is just a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. They should have pushed H5 back and made this game themselves. Simple as that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like how people just make things up to defend 343.

"No, no, no! Microsoft had a secret meeting and 343 wasn't invited, and Microsoft hired one of the subcontractors to intentionally slow down 343. And they also told 343 the deadline for the MCC 3 days before that deadline so they didn't have any time. And then Bonnie Ross gave bjs to all the programmers for two weeks straight so they couldn't get any work done. In fact, 343 was just a bunch of random people hired by Microsoft to take the fall for the game, they never actually worked on it. I know how corporations work, I took a corporation class in Community College."

• Upvote (+1) 4

Your post was completely accurate but I think you separate 343 and MS a little too much. 343 is made up of MS employees. This launch was the fault of it being a last minute project. It was a moneygrab. It was a hail mary to make this ship date. That's why it took 5 studios to get it done. You just can't have that many groups working on the same project without dismal failure and any smart person would have seen that up front. The fact is, marketing and sales wanted better numbers this fiscal year and, despite the doubt of probably every smart person in the discussion, decided to do it anyway. This was the most rushed Halo game, and that's saying something because most of them have been thus far. They flat out didn't have time to do it right and certainly didnt have time to test it properly.

This is a Microsoft greed problem, nothing more nothing less. I'm confident that if 343 had another 12 months to finish this we would have a fantastic experience. But we won't because they have to take more money with Halo 5. This was the biggest waste of potential.

Agreed. And what I'm most upset about is: they absolutely will not have this game 100% like they could have if they had another 12 months, and we will never, ever see another Halo collection or title that allows us to play CE & 2 online. At least not until the next XBOX platform, and even then...

343 are in charge of the game, the buck stops with them. The white knighting for them is pathetic. You don't get to shift blame to the moving parts in an organization when things go sour. You're in charge, you're responsible, end of fucking story.

343 and Microsoft collectively deserve all the criticism they get for this.

I like how people just make things up to defend 343.

"No, no, no! Microsoft had a secret meeting and 343 wasn't invited, and Microsoft hired one of the subcontractors to intentionally slow down 343. And they also told 343 the deadline for the MCC 3 days before that deadline so they didn't have any time. And then Bonnie Ross gave bjs to all the programmers for two weeks straight so they couldn't get any work done. In fact, 343 was just a bunch of random people hired by Microsoft to take the fall for the game, they never actually worked on it. I know how corporations work, I took a corporation class in Community College."

Brb putting more strawmen into my fallacy cornfield.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How can they possibly be the scapegoat? 

If a company goes out and hires other companies to redistribute some of their work to, it is 100% the original companies fault for not making sure everything was completely functional. 

343 hired/contracted those other companies right? It is on 343's shoulders to make sure everything else works right, otherwise go out and contract a different company

Because that guy doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

• Upvote (+1) 3

343 are in charge of the game, the buck stops with them. The white knighting for them is pathetic. You don't get to shift blame to the moving parts in an organization when things go sour. You're in charge, you're responsible, end of fucking story.

343 and Microsoft collectively deserve all the criticism they get for this.

Is if possible the game will never be fixed? I'm debating trading in my 360 now for a 1 bc at least on the 360 I can still get good consistent matches on H3.

Remember when "Xbox Originals" was still a thing, and you could get games with their vanilla mutliplayer?

Halo PC is just depressing with its netcode, and they knew this since they didn't even complete CE Anniversary.