CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I bet bravo hates his job so much right now.

I feel bad for the guy honestly. One of his main jobs is to communicate to the community but what can he say right now? "Sorry my organization is incompetent and they're working on it?" I'm sure he's frustrated as hell at what is happening right now. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Tweeting crap like that makes you sound like a child and I can guarantee you that it does nothing but get deleted and possibly get you blocked. Grow up man.

I'll grow up when they do. Lying, manipulating, and misleading other people are not the traits of mature adults.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree w/ Joe here.

They've essentially gave us a big "fuck you, we're moving on to Halo 5".

Go on...

• Downvote (-1) 1

I'll grow up when they do. Lying, manipulating, and misleading other people are not the traits of mature adults.

You essentially just responded with "but they did it first!" I rest my case...

You essentially just responded with "but they did it first!" I rest my case...

MOM! HE'S NOT BEING NICE TO ME

• Downvote (-1) 1

You honestly think you are being 'manipulated'?

Also, your argument there was basically 'he started it!'

That is beyond annoying.. Happened several times tonight. 

Were dedicated servers down all night? I thought all MM games were on dedis?

I had about 4 solid hours of CE customs. I can honestly say I can't tell much of a difference with the hit detection. Hopefully we get something similar to the PC no lead servers soon. They need to bring back the hit markers until then. 

We played a couple games last night. Some kids beat us in dammy camping green and then we wrecked them in HH.

Hit detection is still ass. Feels like Halo 2 kill times at least.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We played a couple games last night. Some kids beat us in dammy camping green and then we wrecked them in HH.

Legitimate request no pressure, how many paragraphs could you sum up your feelings about this "patch" with?

mMys5Qx.jpg?1

Note to 343... making your game say players found is not the same as finding players.

On the bright side I can see my refund in my account.  Wonder if I'll be able to keep playing.. well not like I was able to play in the first place

• Upvote (+1) 6

343 needs to just outsource the patch. And by that I mean hire consultants to fix this fucking mess cause its clear they don't have a clue how to fix it.

I had the same thought.

It's obvious that whoever is working on this has no clue how to fix it or it would be fixed by now.

I thought that was you! GG's by the way. Are you going to be on at all today? I took the day off because I thought the patch was going to fix things, but it didn't. I will be on trying to find customs anyways. 

You're 10x more likely to get a tweet back if you're a known member of the community, and not like forum member but someone prominent in the community. Whether you ask nicely or rage at them, I haven't had any luck with developers myself.

Regardless, I think it would be better for us if they pushed back the beta and fixed MCC, but that will never happen. MCC was obviously rushed on a deadline so they won't push back a beta for a game that will most likely also be rushed to meet a deadline. The earlier they get the beta out the smoother the launch should be and the shit storm won't nearly be as big as this launch. Again I'd rather them fix MCC, but it's 343 and they're next baby is on the way.

Sure 343's taking care of it's orphan kids, but they're concern is their new child. The orphans will get Ramen Noodles for breakfast lunch and dinner while sleeping on the floor as 343 researches the best possible baby formula for H5 and is currently putting together it's crib. Horrible comparison, but some food for thought. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ok, I'll tell you exactly where my experience comes from. I worked for Lockheed Martin. I worked on a bunch of projects while there. Aegis, Ballistic Missile Defense, homeland security/Coast Guard, internal groups that handle all of Lockheed's infrastructure from servers/networking/desktops, and more. Roles that ranged from designing hardware to building software.

When a project got behind and the teams would have to get together to discuss is when Fuck You was said constantly. Bosses to employee's and vice versa.

I dont think there has been anything more true than this(being a developer myself), when schedules get delayed and meetings happen, the Fuck You expression is more than common around the office.

PC Pistol has more spread than Xbox Pistol FYI.

I know. I feel like it's on xbox levels now. I shot across HH.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was wondering whether to put this in the MCC thread, but it's just too big of post to be buried in ten minutes. That would be a waste.

This mostly isn't 343i's fault. Let's take a look at the Wikipedia page for the game.

The collection was developed by 343 Industries in conjunction with Certain Affinity, Ruffian Games and Saber Interactive.[9] While 343 designed the interfaces and online networking, Certain Affinity developed the multiplayer and Saber developed the updated Halo 2 campaign.[9] The updated Halo 2 cutscenes were produced by Blur.[5] The original Halo 2 multiplayer designer, Max Hoberman, returned to work on the game's remastered multiplayer levels.[7] The Halo 2 "Anniversary" update coincides with the tenth anniversary of its original release.[9] Ruffian is developing the Halo 3 and Halo 4 ports.[10][11]

343 Industries confirmed that the collection will be available to download from the Xbox Games Store[12] on the day of release.[2] On October 18, 2014, the game had been declared gold, indicating it was being prepared for duplication and release.[13] It has also been revealed that the episodic content, "Spartan Ops", from Halo 4, would be delayed in its release until December.[3][2]

United Front Games worked on the Unified Interface that works across all games.[1]

We see here that 343i is only responsible for some interfaces, and networking. It is vague about that, so let's just conjecture they are responsible for matchmaking with that.

So, okay, you can be frustrated at 343i for matchmaking. I get that.

But what about the rest? You can't be, not really.

Certain Affinity and Saber Interactive were responsible for CE. Weapons rotated wrong? Blood Gulch loading in all corrupted? One player controlling two screens in splitscreen? That's on them. They ported it, they didn't catch it in test, it's their bloody fault and they screwed the pooch.

They too were responsible for H2/A. It escapes the top of my head of what is specifically wrong with their port of that, but whatever IS wrong, that's also on them. (Not gonna lie. As buggy and convoluted as Halo 2 Vista was, I wished they would have just ported O.G H2 over H2V.)

Halo 3? That's on Ruffian. Sandbox template lacking shaders? Games inexplicably ending early? Yeah, I hope you're getting the picture now.

(Ironically, the bastard child of Halo received a near flawless port, when it should've hypothetically been the hardest to do, when it was so optimised for 360. Fate is a cruel mistress, isn't it? So, I guess, good job Ruffian? :trash: )

The awful unified interface? That'd be United Front Games. They didn't even see they left out the ability to Forge gametypes in Halo 3. Then you also have the deal with player emblems not showing up in games. All the freezing? That's on them, too. The wrong map and gametype being selected in matchmaking when it wasn't voted for? Yup.

So, as we see here, the only blame going to 343i should be matchmaking servers, and maybe some general netcode as well. The other studios had their own QA people who should have been doing...what their job description says. Unfortunately, it looks like they weren't.

And some of you might say, "343i should've known about all these things! They were the boss!".

...Not really.

First of all, the majority of 343i is working on Halo 5 for a REAL beta test ('beta' is a catch all though. This early of test is pre-alpha, no doubt about it.). Having a publicly playable pre-alpha is virtually unheard of in console games, because you have to have a lot of shit done early in development. Even then, the footage we seen looks really nice. You can tell they've been working hard. They didn't have much staff to commit to micromanaging other studios that should've been competant.

Second of all, it wasn't 343i's choice. They probably generally agreed to the concept of MCC, but I'm willing to bet it was the Xbox executives who made the development what it was. They gave 343i a date for Halo 5, and then they saw 343i was appropriately working dilligently to that date. Thus, they round up a ragtag of studios and think it'd be a good idea for them all to make a game together.

Surely, 343i themselves couldn't have made the date for MCC with a fraction of their staff. Microsoft thought the remedy would be a metric fuck ton of devs from any studio working on it. As you can see, that was an awful idea. Ever heard of the saying, "Too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the meal."? That's what happened right here. You really can NOT put so many studios together and expect good work. All of them have a unique culture and style of development, and trying to make them play nice together for such a big project with relative little time is not going to happen.

A lot of their incompetancy springs from that fact, rather than they themselves just being bad studios. Many studios+Short deadline=bad time.

And it WAS too short of dead line. That PR about not wanting to cut corners, so they had that huge day one patch? While not exactly a lie, this mentioned patch was obviously being worked on after the game went gold and into manufacturing, because there wasn't enough time. If they had a suitable deadline and didn't want to cut corners, it would have been on two discs. You know the trend is to put as much content on disc as possible. Look at Destiny. Bungie had part of their DLC already developed when the game went gold, so they put it on disc to reduce download time when the finished DLC was released. What I'm trying to say is, a common goal in the industry is to avoid large downloads now.

The biggest shame in all of this, is that Microsoft has painted 343i to be the scapegoat, and a lot of you believe them. Corporations do anything to make sure they themselves look good at the top. Fact of the matter is, their collaboration idea was shit and their deadline was shit. So guess what was released? SHIT. If the splash screen for MCC was honest, the company logos in order of contribution would be Microsoft, Saber Interactive, Certain Affinity, Ruffian Games, United Front Games, Blur Studios, and THEN 343i.

I'm not a 343i fanboy or anything. They've done some shit I'm not down with, but I recongize the difference between a shit dev choice and a shit corporate choice. MCC reeks of corporate shit.

And I understand that a lot of you feel the same way. 343i has been kinda bad in the past and it's okay if you still dislike them for that. The past is the past though. What's in the present, is this corporate turd that Microsoft threw at us. They've tarnished their own cashcow for a corporate quick buck when the irony is that if it were made properly it would've made more money. Corporations are greedy and shortsighted.

All those times you've been insulting 343i for this? You should've been insulting Microsoft. Don't let this corporation trick you into hating their scapegoat. When you hate a corporation's scapegoat, they'll keep making new ones so you keep buying their products. Plus, you know, there are lots of honest people at 343i. Even the people forced to spin some PR like Bravo or Frankie. You remember those times in school when you were put into a shitty group for a group project, you tried your best, but the rest of the group failed and so you got a bad grade and the rest of the class laughed at you? That's 343i right now. You didn't like, and they don't like it.

TL;DR: Greedy corporation had a horrible idea for a quick buck and made 343i the fall guy for it. Being mad at 343i is exactly what Microsoft would prefer you do. Be mad at the suits in M$, not well meaning 343i devs.

Okay mods. I guess this will be buried in ten minutes anyway because you moved this here. Thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Legitimate request no pressure, how many paragraphs could you sum up your feelings about this "patch" with?

The man's a tired veteran of the community. He arguably has the most constructive posts out of any member of the community over the last decade and it often falls on deaf ears. Maybe I'm wrong speaking for him but that's the vibe I've gotten. If being a white knight of the community had any merit in terms of 343 sitting down and listening to someone who objectively understands Halo, then I'm sure you'd be reading tons more by him.

Till then, just go through his posts, especially the long ones.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I remember seeing someone from 343 say you could LAN and the only reason the boxes need to connect online is to ping the servers to verify your copy of MCC is legit. Don't remember source tho

I don't think it is the same, there is no LAN network option, everybody has to be online on gold accounts and add each other as friends then join parties like normal, and you get the same connection errors where you have to restart the game after almost every custom game because you can't reconnect with each other.

I know. I feel like it's on xbox levels now. I shot across HH.

Yeah I got into a HeH game last night and I was able to kill people across the map. I was pleasantly surprised.

The man's a tired veteran of the community. He arguably has the most constructive posts out of any member of the community over the last decade and it often falls on deaf ears. Maybe I'm wrong speaking for him but that's the vibe I've gotten. If being a white knight of the community had any merit in terms of 343 sitting down and listening to someone who objectively understands Halo, then I'm sure you'd be reading tons more by him.

Till then, just go through his posts, especially the long ones.

I just want to say I respect any hardened Halo veteran and their valuable opinion, and as such I'm upset people like cT had to watch this basket of eggs spill.

Please don't take my response the wrong way, I'm not a stalwart with conversation. :/

Now I'm just sad.  Friends of mine whom I haven't played with in years all bought the game and I've been able to play a grand total of one game with them thus-far.  Most of them have given up and are either selling it or completely throwing in the towel.  I'll stick around, but unfortunately I've probably lost the opportunity to play with people that I wanted to.  What a pity.