CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

H2A > H3

H2 > H1 > H3 > H2A > H4 > Reach

H3 had several unique maps, a wider skill gap than H2A (albeit considerably lower than H2). Most quality players can 4 shot in H2A. Most quality players can snipe in H2A. The engine feels too much like the past 2 Halos, Reach and H4, which too me don't feel like native Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is it just me or is Halo 3 full of terrible players? I'm not even that good at Halo 3 or Halo games in general, but when ever I play it, it feels like I'm going against people who are playing it for the first time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3 had several unique maps, a wider skill gap than H2A (albeit considerably lower than H2). Most quality players can 4 shot in H2A. Most quality players can snipe in H2A. The engine feels too much like the past 2 Halos, Reach and H4, which too me don't feel like native Halo.

If you are going by skill gap, H1 needs to be out front.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have a mic it wasn't with me at the time though. The only think im iffy about it blocking spawns which i'm sure i can pickup on it. 

Link: http://www.thehaloforum.com/halo-discussion/418499-thf-halo-ce-cf-charity-tournament-announcement-5-more-teams.html

Word, well I'm down to do this with you. The scheduling is confusing a bit though, it starts on Thanksgiving and we have 3 days to play in the first round, right? I doubt I could do it on Thanksgiving, and if this is the case I'm def in and you can sign up.

Lol.

I certainly think its wrong, especially from an objectively competitive standpoint.. however to play devils advocate...

unless anyone has a deep understanding of both, I don't expect new players to understand unless its taught or spelled out for them. It's not like anyone is going from CE into 2 like back in the day.. they're mostly h3, Reach and H4 players who are coming in. Think of all the depth mentally required in those games compared to CE. (randoms, fast timers, skilled weapons) There really isn't a lot there that players can recognize below the surface, since none of their games require them to look past that.

However the game they are playing is Halo PC on a shitty netcode. This is possibly the worst version of the game to try and bring someone into especially if they're accustomed to the privileged nature of current video games. Privileged might be a strong word considering Halo CE is so old, but I doubt many come from a time where buggy, laggy games were common.

So while I still think Halo CE > Halo 2 objectively, I think subjectively Halo 2 MCC > Halo (P)CE in terms of being the best remade game on the disc. I still need to LAN some CE though.

Also gg's to @@Old Greg. I really loved playing on his host. Smoothest game of Halo CE to date for me, and it felt like a game of XBC at around 50 ping consistently which is VERY playable. Most of the other games to me feel like the ping would fluctuate from 70ping to 500 ping.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Not even trying to be elitist but there really isn't much of a sound argument for h2 having a bigger skill gap than h1

I like both games btw for different things

• Upvote (+1) 4

Hello all,

I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread in the hopes of compiling all of our workarounds and fixes in one place. While I don't believe there is a single golden rule, there are definitely some things that have gotten me into games and into friends' lobbies somewhat more consistently.

Here, I'll kick it off:

• As Frankie already posted, if you are in matchmaking and it doesn't read "In lobby" at the top of the roster, you will not join a game. In this case, exit out of matchmaking and restart the search until it reads "In lobby."
  • If you are trying to play with friends, make sure everyone's NAT is OPEN. There are a couple ways to do this. Some routers require only that upnp be toggled on/off, while others require the ports to be forwarded manually. Click here for more information: http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live
  • When trying to join matchmaking with friends, if it is taking a very long time (even when the header reads "In lobby"), I noticed that simply restarting the search doesn't always help. In this case, it is best to completely quit the game by going to the dashboard, highlighting the MCC tile, pressing start, and selecting "quit." Upon reopening the game, the first search is undoubtedly more likely to work (no promises, but in my case I found this to be true almost every time, at least for the Team Slayer playlist).
  • I read somewhere (I believe it was on the waypoint forums) that in order to find a game more quickly in the BTB playlist, you can navigate to the custom games menu, choose halo 2 classic, proceed all the way to the end, and right before clicking "start match," back all the way out and jump back into matchmaking and choose the BTB playlist. No one will believe this, but I tried it twice and got good results twice. Others were also experiencing success with this method. The OP broke down his logic and posted a hypothesis about the reason this works. I can't find the link atm.

So there you have it: there may not be a method to this madness, but hopefully these tricks will help ease the frustration we're all experiencing.

I invite you all to pitch in with your tricks and observations! And mods, please don't merge this thread! These tricks, while temporary, seem to work for some people and it would be a shame to lose them in the 1000+ page monster general discussion thread....

I'll update this OP with more tricks as they are posted.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Not even trying to be elitist but there really isn't much of a sound argument for h2 having a bigger skill gap than h1

I like both games btw for different things

I didn't even read his post so that would probably help. I'm tired of digging though this thread as well. I just figured he was talking personal preference rather than objective skill. I always have to clarify to my friends that when I say Halo CE is the best game by far, I'm talking competitively. Although I can LAN CE nonstop and have tons of fun and never get board, I'd be lying if I didn't say Halo 2 wasn't the period of time where I had the most fun with Halo 2. Being on live was a big part of that but regardless.

LOL just got CTF midship with plasma rifle starts... Safe to say I won the race to the BR and went 20-0 while we did victory laps with the flag

• Upvote (+1) 2

This whole thing is going to drive me to alcoholism.

I played Destiny last night.

Been there, done that. In that topic, today's patch in destiny fixes  many things, Bungie is actually doing things community asked for, who would've thought.

I wonder what those reasons are? Population counters are very helpful to gamers, their reasoning (whatever it may be) seems a little shady. What are they afraid of?

look at it like this, if people are aware that 5 people are playing team snipers(hypothetically speaking) would you want to play in the playlist? most people probably wouldn't, they would go to a playlist that has a bigger population. if there are no population counters then there would be an even spread of players across playlists, or I'm assuming thats their reason.

No, Halo 2 died because they stopped letting us play on Xbox live with it. I would still be playing Halo 2 today if they had never took it off of Xbox live.

Lol that shit was deader than dead at the end, I played it until they turned off the servers.  I know in our imaginary minds we would love to think that H2 was really popular at the end and that people were dying to get onto the game... But that is bullshit.  H2 was dead as fuck on Xbox Live at the end.

If 343 releases MCC stats, I am going to put my money that majority of the population will be playing H3/H2A.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lol that shit was deader than dead at the end, I played it until they turned off the servers. I know in our imaginary minds we would love to think that H2 was really popular at the end and that people were dying to get onto the game... But that is bullshit. H2 was dead as fuck on Xbox Live at the end.

To be fair, towards the end MM was u playable with the amount of cheating.

I didn't even read his post so that would probably help. I'm tired of digging though this thread as well. I just figured he was talking personal preference rather than objective skill. I always have to clarify to my friends that when I say Halo CE is the best game by far, I'm talking competitively. Although I can LAN CE nonstop and have tons of fun and never get board, I'd be lying if I didn't say Halo 2 wasn't the period of time where I had the most fun with Halo 2. Being on live was a big part of that but regardless.

I assumed he was since he was talking about skill gap but eh

Yes I do agree with what you say. I enjoy LANing/playing h2 or h1, personally I like playing H2 more with my cousins because the skill between players is closer so more fun games for me. In H1 when we LAN I get like 30+ kills in a 2v2 which gets boring 

Both games are fun and I like playing BTB, 4v4, FFAs, etc on either

To be fair, towards the end MM was u playable with the amount of cheating.

Minimal cheating, so minimal I hardly noticed it.  I always jumped on H2 at least 2-3 times a week at the end to play snipers mostly and I rarely came across cheating.

thats because H2A runs on halo 4's engine. but if your going to have H2 first then H2A should be second, its still the same game but on a different engine. 

I'm starting to think someone at 343i left Zone Alarm on.

Have you tried that thing where you start out in a custom game and then try MM? Maybe it is. Coincidence but since doing that I find games frequently.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1