CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

The fact that the code is written for original Xbox, whereas the game itself would be on Xbox One? There's hardware differences, not to mention you can't just take ancient spaghetti code and "make it 60fps" just like that. Honestly a full rewrite, if they did it with the intention of reproducing the game exactly, would be cleaner and work better.

I think you are asking for "exactly the same code" when what you actually mean is "plays exactly the same way". You can make a faithful reproduction with a different codebase, one that works _better_. See for example the comment about hit registration.

the question is, will 343 actually do that if they go this route?

We have a few weeks until E3 happens, so why not take a guess at what will happen at this years E3 with Halo, MS/343i have already announced we will see a Halo title this year but it isn't Halo 5: Guardians. What do you think it would be?

1) The Master Chief Collection - Its been "leaked" since the beginning of the year and brought up again recently, seems like a very plausible game since it will tell The Chief story for a new generation leading into Halo 5: Guardians in 2015. With that, we could possibly see the return of Halo 2 Multiplayer to give the Halo MP community a much needed boost.

2) Halo 2 Anniversary - It will be 10 years since Halo 2 been released in November, we already saw Halo: CE Anniversary announced in 2011, why not do it again for one of Halo most popular games?

3) Halo 5: ODST-Guardian - Halo: ODST was a fan favorite, could 343i be working on a small game to introduce the new character on the boxart? Maybe that's why they showed the art off weeks before E3 to reduce confusion when the new game is announced at E3.

4) Halo: Wars/Spartan Assault 2 etc - Could we see another "small title" in the Halo franchise that just fills the void at most until Halo 5: Guardians comes out in 2015?

Now please remember these are all clearly speculation and we don't really know anything until the Microsoft E3 press conference.

So what do you see happening?

• Upvote (+1) 3

the question is, will 343 actually do that if they go this route?

No, I don't expect them to do anything resembling a 'faithful reproduction'

Master Chief collection seems like a lazy money grab to me, and in itself doesn't make much sense.

I'm betting on Wars or H2A, however I would be satisfied with a spin-off for the new character to bridge plot into H5

• Upvote (+1) 3

Master Chief Collection (not sure if multiplayer or not). News about TV show. News about digital feature.

That's really all I'm expecting for E3. I look forward to the butthurt on here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also think that if they were to use the Halo 4 engine, it doesn't even support dual-wielding, and uses the flinch mechanic rather than descope... two HUGE gameplay changes that would really be doing a Halo 2 remaster a disservice. Not to even mention the changes in physics and all of that.

I really don't think they'll make the same mistake again...

• Upvote (+1) 3

So this topic is about Halo in general at E3 right?

I would add another Halo 5 CGI Trailer. Maybe some new little infos about this other character.

So this topic is about Halo in general at E3 right?

I would add another Halo 5 CGI Trailer. Maybe some new little infos about this other character.

It's an open ended discussion.

They'll announce the master chief collection and then show that vidoc they filmed with all the Halo 2/original xbox stuff in the background.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Also think that if they were to use the Halo 4 engine, it doesn't even support dual-wielding, and uses the flinch mechanic rather than descope... two HUGE gameplay changes that would really be doing a Halo 2 remaster a disservice. Not to even mention the changes in physics and all of that.

I really don't think they'll make the same mistake again...

Using the Halo 4 engine does not mean that Halo 4 mechanics need to be used. The game engine deals with things like rendering, animation, collision detection and game physics.

All that stuff is nice, but you folks are literally expecting them to use code from 2004 that was written for a console two generations previous... for a multiplayer game.

So what. How do you think they made halo ce A? They used old code and added new code over the existing engine. Thats hopefully what they will do with 2. Just because the code is old doesnt mean that they can rewrite the code on a better engine and add what they want.

Its not a conspiracy or something. It has to be done right and if its not then the game with flop. Also when you make it sound like its insane that they use old code for "a multiplayer game" you make it sound as if h2's MM wasnt good. H2's MM was what made that games sales, it was ahead of its time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have my money on the Master Chief collection but I really want to see another Halo Wars.

Come at me Moa!!

The fact that the code is written for original Xbox, whereas the game itself would be on Xbox One? There's hardware differences, not to mention you can't just take ancient spaghetti code and "make it 60fps" just like that. Honestly a full rewrite, if they did it with the intention of reproducing the game exactly, would be cleaner and work better.

I think you are asking for "exactly the same code" when what you actually mean is "plays exactly the same way". You can make a faithful reproduction with a different codebase, one that works _better_. See for example the comment about hit registration.

Good point, didn't think about the hit-reg..

Best thing they can do - They start off with the Master Chief Collection then get on with the Halo TV series to announcing Halo2 Anniversary then closing it out with a Halo5 trailer.  

Worst thing they can do - Start off with Master Chief Collection then announcing Halo Wars/Spartan Assault 2 then closing it out with a Halo5 trailer.

I think that we will get H2A. The presentation will probably start with a trailer, similar to this one

After that, they will probably proceed to talk about Halo 5, or one of the TV shows, maybe a trailer for one of the TV shows, and a cinematic one for Halo 5.

I think some people just want the campaign to be a HD remastered version and the MM to be some halo 4/halo 2 hybrid.

It needs to feel exactly like halo 2 but with better graphics. The game can look different but the gameplay has to feel the same and look similar. You cant just use the halo 4 engine and make the physics the same and called it a halo 2 remake.

Just adjust the code to make it look better, remove button glitches and keep the core gameplay intact. But that can all be done within the old/existing engines.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wait, couldn't they just put Halo 2 on dedicated servers? Wouldn't that get rid of the bad hit registration? 

I have my money on the Master Chief collection but I really want to see another Halo Wars.

Come at me Moa!!

See those 3 warning points you have? Times it by 100. 

no more halo wars pls

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

See those 3 warning points you have? Times it by 100.

no more halo wars pls

DOIT UWONT

They'll announce the master chief collection and then show that vidoc they filmed with all the Halo 2/original xbox stuff in the background.

Ah Yeah, i forgot about that^^ The ViDocs :D  I hope that the upcoming 343 Vidocs are a bit more fun and less PR like.

DOIT UWONT

1jPr8c0.png

Don't tempt me you little shit <3

I can bet 100 dollars that there will be a H2A....it's just so predictable since it's been ten years, they did h1A, and we've been asking for it for a very long time. In my eyes, it's been more demanded than Halo 5. I never got to actually enjoy the multiplayer in Halo 2, but i've seen the amazingness in it. I would be more excited to play Halo 2 multiplayer than to play Halo 5. Classic Halo is where it's at. So my money is on H2A and I hope everybody agrees with me which i'm sure you do.

btw...if it's a crap game like Spartan Assault or Halo wars (or any small game like that)...i'll be really freaking disappointed. I'm really confident though that they would present something that crap at an amazing event like E3.

• Upvote (+1) 3