CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Releasing on Halo 4's engine can mean many different things.

It is very much possible that Halo 2 will be a seperate game from Halo 4. A smart thing for 343 to have done is simply have the design team/Certain Affinity use the Halo 4 engine to design a map pack like in CEA, and have the coding team tweak the Halo 4 engine to match Halo 2's mechanics (descope, no sprint, speed, player models, etc.)

H2A itself would be seperate from Halo 4, there would not be an "Anniversary" playlist or any DLC for that matter, it would just be defining how the MP is being built.

Doing this would in turn remove the bugs and glitches of Halo 2 (super bouncing and button combos), while adding the engine benefits of Halo 4 such as graphics and shot registration.

I dont think that it would feel like halo 2 though. It wouldnt only feel like halo 2 if it was halo 2 just with better graphics. Same way that halo ce was remastered just with better graphics. If it just has everything done on the halo 4 engine then i doubt movement/gameplay would feel like halo 2.

I honestly think it would feel just like halo 4 but with halo 2 maps. Unless it uses the exact engine as halo 2 just better graphics then idk. It will just feel and play weird to me but i would have to see it. I just hope it plays/feels like halo 2. Halo 2 was just to great of a game and i would hate for things to feel off.

I'm extremely doubtful of a H2A multiplayer at this point. It just doesn't make a lot of sense, as much as I'd love it to. If they're going to bring Halo 1, 2, 3 and 4 to the XB1 as is rumored, we're probably going to get:

• Halo CE Anniversary (XB1 Port, Campaign only)
  • Halo 2 Anniversary (Remastered, Campaign only)
  • Halo 3 (XB1 Port, Campaign only)
  • Halo 4 (XB1 Port, Campaign only)

In terms of multiplayer, we're probably going to get some sort of attempt at a combined experience, possibly built on top of the H4 engine. And before people start bawwing about that, that doesn't necessary make it an automatic pile of shit, despite what many of you think. I'm cross posting something I posted over at THF.

I've said this before, but games don't just run on a single "engine". There usually several engines at work within a game (physics, graphics, networking/matchmaking, etc), so when people make blanket statements like "game will suck, using h4 engine", it irritates me for a couple reasons. One, as far as the netcode goes, h4 is probably the most solid experience I've had online in terms of shot registration and game connection quality/consistency. It's miles better than h2, h3, and even reach (although Reach is much more comparable in that regard).

In terms of the graphics engine, I think h4's was solid, but their art style and the way they chose to light the environments caused way too much whitewashing of color and loss of contrast. The engine itself however has proven to be pretty powerful. Remember, it's cranking out a lot of detail for a 10 year old system. Physics engine isn't really worth commenting on, as most games have acceptable physics engines, it's rarely a point of criticism or controversy these days.

Based on rumors and that pastebin thing, I'd say that the combined multiplayer experience is much more likely than a true-blue H2A multiplayer, and honestly, I'm ok with that, as long as 343 ACTUALLY listens to the years of feedback we've given them as a community.

I'm extremely doubtful of a H2A multiplayer at this point. It just doesn't make a lot of sense, we're probably going to get:

• Halo CE Anniversary (XB1 Port, Campaign only)
  • Halo 2 Anniversary (Remastered, Campaign only)
  • Halo 3 (XB1 Port, Campaign only)
  • Halo 4 (XB1 Port, Campaign only)

In terms of multiplayer, we're probably going to get some sort of attempt at a combined experience, possibly built on top of the H4 engine.

Halo 2 Multiplayer  >   I buy an Xbone

Halo 2 Campaign  >   I turn on my Xbox / Xbox 360 / PC  - all of which I already own.

And they won't build something new off the Halo 4 engine, that's much more work than going with existing code. They'll take the easiest option - which is actually Halo 2 MM. It has to do with the CPU architecture, it's easier to convert an OG Xbox game than a 360 game and CE has no matchmaking code.

Not that I expect 343i to put out H2MM but that's the easiest/cheapest option for them and makes the most sense in terms of pleasing the fan base.

• Upvote (+1) 8

And they won't build something new off the Halo 4 engine, that's much more work than going with existing code. They'll take the easiest option - which is actually Halo 2 MM. It has to do with the CPU architecture, it's easier to convert an OG Xbox game than a 360 game and CE has no matchmaking code.

Not that I expect 343i to put out H2MM but that's the easiest/cheapest option for them and makes the most sense in terms of pleasing the fan base.

Yet we're supposedly getting H3 and H4 ports. Must not be that difficult. Besides, CPU architecture would have a lot more relation to the core game engines, like physics and graphics, not the logic behind the matchmaking, which has most certainly changed drastically since H2, enough so to the point that re-implementing anything from H2 (one of the first Xbox Live games, and thus, matchmaking systems) would be highly improbable.

$10 says whatever we get in terms of multiplayer is going to be built off H4 existing architecture or completely new.

Halo 4 engine doesn't work there's so much shit that they changed that wasn't in the original.

I mean the h2 BR didn't have spread or recoil, Sprint wasn't default, your footsteps weren't so loud they could be heard a mile away, you didn't need a perk to pick up grenades of all things, flinch would have too be removed, weapons didn't despawn in 12 seconds, there were no hit markers and grenade indictators, frags and plasma grenades weren't weak as shit, you couldn't throw the oddball and you could juggle the flag and the shield recharge time is way to fucking slow.

Do I really need to go on as to why Halo 4 wouldn't work there's just way too much shit that would need too be changed and most of these can't be removed even with modding and descope would require a title update.

Halo 4 won't work. Period

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm with you guys in the fact that we really shouldn't be getting our hopes up and everything, but don't forget to keep in mind the original leaks... It listed "full Halo 2, remastered multiplayer..." A lot has come true so far, from that list, things that we otherwise wouldn't have even known about, like that Titanfall custom Xbox, with an image of exactly how it ended up looking... I'm just saying, idk...

343 and Microsoft know how important Halo 2's multiplayer was to a lot of people, and to the game itself. I don't think they'd let us down on this one. It's been nearly 3 years since CEA... They've had plenty of time to bring all of this into fruition, I would think. People have been expecting a proper Halo 2: Anniversary for a long time now. They know what the fans do and don't want...

Halo 2 Multiplayer  >   I buy an Xbone

Halo 2 Campaign  >   I turn on my Xbox / Xbox 360 / PC  - all of which I already own.

Codebase will be Halo 2 PC. So the Engine is already running in a x86 environment.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You don't understand what a game engine is.

Actually I do there not going too scrap the entire H4 engine if that's what they are using I mean look at H:CEA the pistol still had spread/bloom they hardly changed anything.

If anything there going too use a new engine because the tech is entirely different but if they do use H4 I can almost guarantee if they use h4 engine as a base we will see remnants of H4 and it will just be CEA all over again.

Actually I do there not going too scrap the entire H4 engine if that's what they are using I mean look at H:CEA the pistol still had spread/bloom they hardly changed anything.

If anything there going too use a new engine because the tech is entirely different but if they do use H4 I can almost guarantee if they use h4 engine as a base we will see remnants of H4 and it will just be CEA all over again.

Sry but you really dont know what you are talking about...

It wont be CEA all over again.

Btw

Halo CEA Campaign was Original Halo PC Engine + Saber Engine Graphics Layer

Multiplayer was simply Reachs Multiplayer part with this remade Maps for CEA.

There was no Reach Engine used at all.

Halo 2 will be a total different beast.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'll just gloss over the fact that you directly contradict yourself.

Nowhere did I say they would use the H4 codebase for H2A. I was speaking to a new multiplayer experience built on top of H4's architecture, which I think is more likely than a full restoration of H2's multiplayer. However, in regards to a remastered H2 (regardless of whether that includes multiplayer or not), I would say it's entirely possible that it would be started from the H2 for pc codebase as Jumper up there mentioned a post ago.

I'll just gloss over the fact that you directly contradict yourself.

Nowhere did I say they would use the H4 codebase for H2A. I was speaking to a new multiplayer experience built on top of H4's architecture, which I think is more likely than a full restoration of H2's multiplayer. However, in regards to a remastered H2 (regardless of whether that includes multiplayer or not), I would say it's entirely possible that it would be started from the H2 for pc codebase as Jumper up there mentioned a post ago.

H2A better be based off of original code and not from mainly h4.

H2A will not feel like halo 2 if its built from halo 4. It needs to be built with the original code with new code over it. It needs to be just like what they did with halo ce A.

They will really just make fans mad if its halo 2 remastered campaign and some hybrid halo 4 mm.

Why would you use 2004-era code for a 2014 multiplayer experience? That doesn't make sense from any business standpoint.

People expect 1:1 faithfulness in campaign, but I guarantee you they won't do that for multiplayer.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why would you use 2004-era code for a 2014 multiplayer experience? That doesn't make sense from any business standpoint.

People expect 1:1 faithfulness in campaign, but I guarantee you they won't do that for multiplayer.

H2 was known the best for revolutionizing online MP on console, there isn't a more significant game in XBL's history. It would be borderline sacrilege to the Xbox brand to screw with something like that. 

I cannot take waiting until 2015 for a Halo that MIGHT turn out to be half of what H2 is competitively, a true H2 remake is needed this year for the Xbox One brand and the comp Halo MP community.

• Upvote (+1) 8

All that stuff is nice, but you folks are literally expecting them to use code from 2004 that was written for a console two generations previous... for a multiplayer game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have similar memories to you, but for Halo 3. Really wish I had the internet and started with Halo 2. If H2A doesn't have its original MP I will be so pissed off!! Surely 343 aren't that stupid?

All that stuff is nice, but you folks are literally expecting them to use code from 2004 that was written for a console two generations previous... for a multiplayer game.

I dont see what's wrong with that though? If they just improve the graphics and make it 60fps then what matters?

Had a dream about H2A last night. Heard Halo 4 engine and it woke me up. Also the graphics were in the style of Star Wars the clone wars.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm with you guys in the fact that we really shouldn't be getting our hopes up and everything, but don't forget to keep in mind the original leaks... It listed "full Halo 2, remastered multiplayer..." A lot has come true so far, from that list, things that we otherwise wouldn't have even known about, like that Titanfall custom Xbox, with an image of exactly how it ended up looking... I'm just saying, idk...

343 and Microsoft know how important Halo 2's multiplayer was to a lot of people, and to the game itself. I don't think they'd let us down on this one. It's been nearly 3 years since CEA... They've had plenty of time to bring all of this into fruition, I would think. People have been expecting a proper Halo 2: Anniversary for a long time now. They know what the fans do and don't want...

Right. They're not idiots. Plus with Frankie's comment about getting H2 MP right, and a halo multiplayer coming in 2014, I'm not worried about them changing too much.

To the people who still say that the Halo 4 MP will be used for Halo 2. It doesnt make any sense at all. It would be way more work to use Halo 4 for MP than using Halo 2 with some improvements here and there...

Im quoting someone from Gaf

And if it was a modded Halo 4 engine, what then? They'd have to patch an SMG in, patch de scope in, patch Flagg juggling in and the flagnum out, patch sprint out, add momentum based melees, reskin the sniper and its scope UI(cause that H4 model is revolting) reskin the beam rifle and BR etc. At that point you'd have to check its dental records to recognise it as Halo 4. People will forget all that once they see Midship, Turf and Terminal being played by Neighbor and Toshi.

The Halo 4 Engine would need more modifications than the Halo 2 Engine.

With the Halo 2 Engine, you add a new Graphics Layer, improve the Netcode and fix other stuff. The Engine porting with Halo 2 is already done basicly. Halo 2 PC is there. They have to optimize that Code for the Xbone and port/add Xbone Live support again.

I really dont see why people still think they will use Halo 4 for the MP.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the engine that they have already built for Halo 5?

Sry but you really dont know what you are talking about...It wont be CEA all over again.BtwHalo CEA Campaign was Original Halo PC Engine + Saber Engine Graphics LayerMultiplayer was simply Reachs Multiplayer part with this remade Maps for CEA.There was no Reach Engine used at all.Halo 2 will be a total different beast.

You really shouldn't state your speculation as a fact.

I dont see what's wrong with that though? If they just improve the graphics and make it 60fps then what matters?

The fact that the code is written for original Xbox, whereas the game itself would be on Xbox One? There's hardware differences, not to mention you can't just take ancient spaghetti code and "make it 60fps" just like that. Honestly a full rewrite, if they did it with the intention of reproducing the game exactly, would be cleaner and work better.

I think you are asking for "exactly the same code" when what you actually mean is "plays exactly the same way". You can make a faithful reproduction with a different codebase, one that works _better_. See for example the comment about hit registration.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Phil Spencer made it clear that IF a Halo 2 Anniversary is happening... So its the multiplayer. An original and maybe even better multiplayer experience.

So I wouldn't start speculating a lot with H4 engine and stuff like that.

Also... Halo 4 engine not = to gameplay.

H2A multiplayer demo at E3 with the 343 pros, then maybe a playable alpha at RTX (similar to Halo 4 at RTX). Put it in your sigs, y'all.

Its crazy to think that I remember my first ever game of Halo 2. Classic CTF on Colossus in the Team Skirmish playlist. I remember it so vividly yet I can't remember my first Halo 4 game or my first Halo 3 game. That just shows the impact that H2 had on me during my youth.

I want H2A so I can experience that again as an adult. Shit, I might not even need halo 5 if I can get a great remastering of Halo 2. 

• Upvote (+1) 1