CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Well the Reddit hit marker thread someone made earlier is a disaster. People just don't get it. I really hope 343 decided to listen to the core halo 1 crowd and fix the issue. It just seems, even in this thread, we are being drowned out by hoards of halo 4 kids telling us to get over it. Sigh.

Yeah I stopped going on r/halo. After I saw a thread/post that the OP said something to the likes of "I can't wait for MCC but I will miss playing reach. It will always hold a part in my heart." Now this guy wasn't talking about NBNS but the original settings. It was up voted pretty highly. I then commented "people actually liked reach?" and got like -10 rep lol. So after that I was just done with that subreddit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not sure where this came from, but all playlists will run on dedicated servers.

Are you sure? KratosPSfan told me otherwise.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just went on the Waypoint forums and theres already outrage about Halo 2 Aniv being the only ranked playlist at launch...

I guess kids these days don't know the definition of post-launch?

Learn not to jump at the first thing you hear...holy crap.

The game needs to be solid at launch, not a few weeks/months after.

Games that were solid at launch (H3, All the CoDs) keep most of their player base. Games that sucked at launch (Reach, H4) lost >50% of their playerbase within weeks, and those players never returned.

Given that this game costs 500$ and not 60$, people have all the right to be mad at 343i, especially because their communication about this game has been extremely poor.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 4

if they came out and said 'no ranks at launch, but they're coming in x months' people wouldn't be as upset.

Yes they would.

This community will find a way to be upset about something even if they have to create conspiracy theories.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah...i have been testing pretty thoroughly. I just wish I knew for sure if the timers are fixed so I don't have to worry about it anymore. The data I have is pretty crazy and I wish there was a use for it now. 

In the Prisoner game that's posted in the main MCC thread you can see OS spawn 3 times and Camo twice I believe. Both appear to be spawning at exactly 1 minute each time. 

yeah...i have been testing pretty thoroughly. I just wish I knew for sure if the timers are fixed so I don't have to worry about it anymore. The data I have is pretty crazy and I wish there was a use for it now. 

Give it to the PC community.

@@VODE I expect to get it posted today, work's just been a little hectic so I haven't gotten a quality chance yet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Bravo, is it safe to assume that the seven gametypes being played at HaloFest will be the gametype rotation for the Halo eSports playlist? If not, will we get details on that playlist before launch?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am not going to pretend that H2 or H3 had the perfect ranking system. In all likelihood somebody will find a way to break the ranking system in MCC. Better to test it out first before putting it in other playlists. Played enough Halo without ranks for the last 5 years, one more month I can stomach. I will reserve my bitching for December.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I am not going to pretend that H2 or H3 had the perfect ranking system. In all likelihood somebody will find a way to break the ranking system in MCC. Better to test it out first before putting it in other playlists. Played enough Halo without ranks for the last 5 years, one more month I can stomach. I will reserve my bitching for December.

I have the opposite feelings.  I've played Halo without ranks for 5 years, so I want them more than ever now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

In the Prisoner game that's posted in the main MCC thread you can see OS spawn 3 times and Camo twice I believe. Both appear to be spawning at exactly 1 minute each time.

Link to that video?

Games that were solid at launch (H3, All the CoDs) keep most of their player base. Games that sucked at launch (Reach, H4) lost >50% of their playerbase within weeks, and those players never returned.

Given that this game costs 500$ and not 60$, people have all the right to be mad at 343i, especially because their communication about this game has been extremely poor.

The fact you said All the CoDs and Halo 3 were solid at launch discredits this whole post.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Like 343 said, post launch...remember, they have a bigger team. It'll likely be ready that week.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I'm no expert on netcode logic, but wouldn't it make more sense and provide a better user experience to have shots register no matter the player position discrepancies between client and host?  I understand this would introduce getting shot through walls as you run behind cover, but unless you're playing on a foreign host, this shouldn't be problematic. What's more frustrating? Having your shots register inconsistently or getting shot through a wall just milliseconds after going behind cover? Again, I have a very basic understanding of net-code, so i'm definitely overlooking stuff. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

I've been saying this for ages, there is no way to completely fix this in any client-side authoritative game. Unless you want to have a scenario where damage is routed through the host xbox before it presents on your screen, there will always be discrepancies and disagreements between your screen and "reality," the host's screen. The original xbox version's server-side authoritative model did that; it routed all combat actions though the host, that's why lag on XBC is such a pain in the ass. Everything that happens on your controller (except the right thumbstick movement) has to go across the country before it shows up on your screen. This delays everything. It also results in a game with zero bs because everything you see is real.

In Halo PC and now MCC, you can see things on your screen that may not actually be happening because XBC lag is unacceptable to 99% of the gaming population.

I agree with you, but it could be handled better or in other ways. You seem to know what you are talking about and I am mainly just explaining for others who haven't had to suffer through halo pc lag.

I have dealt with the halo pc netcode since the launch and it is terrible. The videos I have seen are vastly improved but it will still be frustrating if your ping isn't good. I posted that lag on lan video of halo pc and I don't think we will ever see anything that bad with matchmaking, but there will be times where your 3rd shot doesn't hit even though it did on your screen.

The bullets in halo1 are all projectiles and there are ways of allowing the client to authenticate the hits and updating the server. Plenty of games allow this with projectiles like rockets or grenades in games going all the way back to quake. I would have preferred a client side hit detection model but then there are other issues where you think you are behind a wall and yet still getting shot because the guy is hitting you on his screen because he is shooting your delayed model on his screen. I would still prefer that and know that what I am seeing on my screen is what I am actually doing even though the notifications on hits would be delayed a little. You would probably see a lot more instances where people are killing each other at the "same time" with pistols because the server would register both clients saying they shot the guy 3x and he should be dead. Same with melee kills where both people would update the server that they meleed before the other guy did and then the server has to send both the data that they were damaged and then it would update the players that they are dead. I am simplifying the model here, but I hope my point is coming across. 

You really can't win with a game like this and that is why games with hitscan seem so much more consistent because there is no projectile having to be tracked by the server. But then you won't get the pistol lead which makes halo1 so unique. The server side model is the way it has to be done and I am just thankful it isn't as bad as halo pc. I am frustrated that we won't have original gameplay and all that, but this is way better than it could have been with how shitty the pc port was (I have some crazy examples). I would prefer the original with the new pc maps and all that but that is not going to happen. 

I have the opposite feelings. I've played Halo without ranks for 5 years, so I want them more than ever now.

I respect that. Not gonna pretend I'm not perturbed. Just trying to be optimistic.

I want ranks now, however I also want ranks to be perfect, and free from abuse. We haven't had that yet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with @@pharmassists if H2A is a good game with competitive settings and skilled teams searching, then I'll be happy until they figure it out. I still definitely want visible ranks though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can't find it...got a link?

I didn't time it down to a tenth of a second or anything, but it seems to be right at the .35 sec mark each minute

• Upvote (+1) 2

Do we know information about playlist settings yet? Or did I miss that memo?

What do you mean by playlist settings?

I agree with @@pharmassists if H2A is a good game with competitive settings and skilled teams searching, then I'll be happy until they figure it out. I still definitely want visible ranks though.

Yeah good games is >>>> all. Visible ranks is the icing on a good game cake.

What do you mean by playlist settings?

A breakdown of the game settings and options. Like for CE are we having generic weapon sets with/without radar? How much is TS or objective? That kind of thing.

People who don't care about ranks shouldn't be chastising people that do and should be fully supportive of their complaints.

FOV/spawn time issue doesn't affect h2/3/4 players and we damn sure wouldn't like if they were giving h1 players shit for that complaint. Same thing.

It would be for the better if people on this forum worked on not being cunts. I think you are completely wrong about telling people to be blindly supportive of other's complaints. Your support should be granted on an individual basis where you review their argument and decide if it merits your approval. People need to learn how to engage the content of posts instead of responding to the emotion that covers them because it's fucking useless to be angry at anger. Lead by example.

• Upvote (+1) 1