CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

They announce a huge eSports league, make the first ranked playlist revolve around the maps used in said tournaments so that people can see them more, play on them, get used to them and know whats going on when watching said tournaments...and people are upset? Let em promote their game (not the ones Bungie made) for a second and get people attracted to the new league. I really don't see the need for hostility here personally.

So then you at least agree that they are lying about the reason for only having one ranked list. Good enough.

• Upvote (+1) 1

BigShow, now that's a name I haven't read in a while. This is Enemy, I used to post on the IGN Halo board, my name there was edgyswingsetacid. You getting the MCC?

Enemy! Man you've been on my FL since way back in the H2 days. Yes, I've already got the MCC loaded.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm very late but I just heard about there only being 1 ranked playlist at launch. This is most obviously not good and for us to learn about it this late is, like Bravo said, unacceptable. However, I won't freakout unless they take longer than 2 weeks or so. I don't see why the ranks would come out individually each week, for those speculating. If they make sure it works through H2A, and all the formulas are similar, (which they are) there'd be no point not to release them all at once.

Last week when they hinted at using a hidden ranking system for matchmaking, I speculated that it could be a complex rating that takes relative per-game skill into account:

The wording in the article makes it sound like they're using a hidden skill rating for matchmaking purposes, and that hidden rating could be as complex as they need it to be (like per-game, per-playlist, and/or per-gametype skill). They wouldn't need to actually use all that data when searching for matches, but in high-population playlists that data could be used for extremely accurate matches.

Let's take an example player who's really skilled at H2, a little less skilled at H3, and not as skilled in CE and H4.

hR3zKPp.png

If this player searches in Team Slayer, the matchmaking could search for players whose skill curves are similar to this, so no matter which game gets voted, every player in the lobby would be equally skilled.

This is a solution to the matchmaking problem that could still fit within what was said in today's update.

If they did something similar to what I described, it could be the reason for showing the numbers on a single-game playlist first.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just woke up and on my phone

Not trying to be a dick but this game has been poorly communicated in a developer to community sense. Even the devs don't know half the time what they're talking about and give out false info (Quinn saying customs has dedis comes to mind) and we're finding out info about the game we really should have known a while ago, days before launch. If Menke/343i couldn't make ranks for every playlist or they want to test it, communicate that BEFORE saying every game has ranks at some big event.

H1 shouldn't have major differences we only find out because of early copies being streamed. That's bad and considerding this game is supposed to be "Just as we remember it". We shouldn't have hit sounds for stuff like grenades (yes I know you can turn yours off, but not others) which any ok player knows will change h1 a lot and we only find out about big things like this by early streams.

343i, take a note from Harada and seriously fix your communication skills. This is what Harada did for his community and game after 1 location test when the game is at 60% power http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2014/10/6/summary-of-haradas-chat-session-at-the-location-test.html

The communication off that one location test was way better than what we have received IMO

• Upvote (+1) 5

Just went on the Waypoint forums and theres already outrage about Halo 2 Aniv being the only ranked playlist at launch...

I guess kids these days don't know the definition of post-launch?

Learn not to jump at the first thing you hear...holy crap.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Just woke up and on my phone

Not trying to be a dick but this game has been poorly communicated in a developer to community sense. Even the devs don't know half the time what they're talking about and give out false info (Quinn saying customs has dedis comes to mind) and we're finding out info about the game we really should have known a while ago, days before launch. If Menke/343i couldn't make ranks for every playlist or they want to test it, communicate that BEFORE saying every game has ranks at some big event.

Quinn isn't even working on Halo: The Master Chief Collection, nor did he actually say customs had dedicated servers. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Quinn isn't even working on Halo: The Master Chief Collection, nor did he actually say customs had dedicated servers.

oh for real? And I swear he did

Eh guess I'm wrong on that part then

Enemy! Man you've been on my FL since way back in the H2 days. Yes, I've already got the MC loaded.

Nice. Not sure if I'll be on for the midnight release but I'll definitely be on that day. What's your tag? My new one is wldstyl

Nice. Not sure if I'll be on for the midnight release but I'll definitely be on that day. What's your tag? My new one is wldstyl

Same as my username. Same as it always was.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Same as my username. Same as it always was.

Good stuff. I'm excited to play some CE, it's been too long.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

So it looks like 343 didn't do anything when they ported Halo PC over, even when they told us it was going to be modified with Xbox code... So far the netcode looks like the same shitty PC code, timers are screwed up, rockets don't kill OS in one hit, PC map geometry differences, PC audible hit indicators, etc... The only thing they changed is the FoV and HUD from the looks of it...  Time for another reddit post?

• Downvote (-1) 1

People who don't care about ranks shouldn't be chastising people that do and should be fully supportive of their complaints.

FOV/spawn time issue doesn't affect h2/3/4 players and we damn sure wouldn't like if they were giving h1 players shit for that complaint. Same thing.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So it looks like 343 didn't do anything when they ported Halo PC over, even when they told us it was going to be modified with Xbox code... So far the netcode looks like the same shitty PC code, timers are screwed up, rockets don't kill OS in one hit, PC map geometry differences, PC audible hit indicators, etc... The only thing they changed is the FoV and HUD from the looks of it... Time for another reddit post?

Timers may be fixed according to people that already have the game. Netcode looks fine from what I've seen.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I literally just loaded up halo pc classic slayer pro and there are no rockets...

Hmm I guess you're right, I could have sworn that classic weapons keep the Rockets.

@@DVNC it's very obvious that the netcode is entirely new and there have been changes to the PC version to make it more like Xbox, just not entirely.

So it looks like 343 didn't do anything when they ported Halo PC over, even when they told us it was going to be modified with Xbox code... So far the netcode looks like the same shitty PC code, timers are screwed up, rockets don't kill OS in one hit, PC map geometry differences, PC audible hit indicators, etc... The only thing they changed is the FoV and HUD from the looks of it...  Time for another reddit post?

Read all of page 4 in this thread, timers seem to be Xbox. ;)

We should definitely do a reddit post on audible hitmarkers for grenades... @@Hitzel_89

• Upvote (+1) 1

Timers may be fixed according to people that already have the game. Netcode looks fine from what I've seen.

Have you seen any off-host gameplay? it's terrible.

rockets kill OS in one hit on pc...it may not have been an exact hit and the shield was completely full at that instant. 

I hear that the timers are fixed now which is good but I have yet to confirm it myself

the netcode is always going to be an issue. I wish they had started from scratch because the pc version was crap, but the videos I have seen are 1000x better than halo pc on lan. 

The pc map differences are not that bad. The hang em lip of death is gone and the sidewinder portals are not big issues. I doubt anyone who plays "serious" halo 1 even plays sidewinder. 

I think we just have to realize we are getting halo pc on xbox and enjoy it. 

the false visual feedback of Halo PC was not dealt with in MCC.

I've been saying this for ages, there is no way to completely fix this in any client-side authoritative game. Unless you want to have a scenario where damage is routed through the host xbox before it presents on your screen, there will always be discrepancies and disagreements between your screen and "reality," the host's screen. The original xbox version's server-side authoritative model did that; it routed all combat actions though the host, that's why lag on XBC is such a pain in the ass. Everything that happens on your controller (except the right thumbstick movement) has to go across the country before it shows up on your screen. This delays everything. It also results in a game with zero bs because everything you see is real.

In Halo PC and now MCC, you can see things on your screen that may not actually be happening because they changed the model away from what the xbox used. They did that because XBC lag is unacceptable to 99+% of the gaming population.

All that said, what I've seen looks like it's way better than Halo PC's original code. They improved it a lot, but there's only so much that can be done. False feedback will always be a thing to some extent.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Hmm I guess you're right, I could have sworn that classic weapons keep the Rockets.

@@DVNC it's very obvious that the netcode is entirely new and there have been changes to the PC version to make it more like Xbox, just not entirely.

yeah...i have been testing pretty thoroughly. I just wish I knew for sure if the timers are fixed so I don't have to worry about it anymore. The data I have is pretty crazy and I wish there was a use for it now. 

The pc map differences are not that bad. The hang em lip of death is gone and the sidewinder portals are not big issues. I doubt anyone who plays "serious" halo 1 even plays sidewinder. 

On Chill Out the receiver node on broken bridge drops you behind cover closer to spiral. That's a change too. I'm neutral on it though.

• Upvote (+1) 1