CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I honestly don't know how hard getting a 50 would be with the Halo 2 ranking system. Never got a chance to get close due to all the cheaters, literally every game when I got to 38 in Team Hardcore there was a modder or stand-byer. It'll be very interesting to say the least, especially with no more host advantage, just good internet advantage.

When I got to around 35, I honestly wished there was a rank reset button. Dealing with modders when you want some good 'ol Halo isn't fun. MS's stance on modders has gotten super strict since then and I'm looking forward to playing at that level with legit players.

I'm really hopeing a social exp system is in this game too. It'd be kinda boring hitting 50 without something else to go for in the playlist. (H3 had playlist exp ranks, 2000 exp for playlist 5 star, and it had skill ranks too). I'm one of those players that focused on getting 10+ exp everyday in order to get a general in the playlist beside dat 50. It really gave me a reason to grind after having the 50.

Or maybe 50 will be very hard to get and that'll be the only motivation to grind for.

50 in the Halo 2 ranking system isn't a light request like Halo 3 used to be. If you're an average player you will hit the high 20's and start losing games. If you're above average but not quite MLG top 32 material, you'll hit the mid 30's and start losing. The beauty of H2 ranking exemplifies what's so dull about a progressive ranking system where you always gain XP and play games simply to grind away, as opposed to trying to increase your rank with risk of losing it. It's an entirely different environment. To worry about getting bored once you hit 50 is pointless because the likelihood is that you won't reach it. That's yet another knock on Halo 3 because just about everyone could get a 50. If there's no difficulty then it is meaningless, like a participation trophy.

Plus, everyone knows that a 50 in CE's competitive playlists is where rank will actually have a meaning (if the treatment people got in H2 was any indication). Good luck with that.

50 in the Halo 2 ranking system isn't a light request like Halo 3 used to be. If you're an average player you will hit the high 20's and start losing games. If you're above average but not quite MLG top 32 material, you'll hit the mid 30's and start losing. The beauty of H2 ranking exemplifies what's so dull about a progressive ranking system where you always gain XP and play games simply to grind away, as opposed to trying to increase your rank with risk of losing it. It's an entirely different environment. To worry about getting bored once you hit 50 is pointless because the likelihood is that you won't reach it. That's yet another knock on Halo 3 because just about everyone could get a 50. If there's no difficulty then it is meaningless, like a participation trophy.

Plus, everyone knows that a 50 in CE's competitive playlists is where rank will actually have a meaning (if the treatment people got in H2 was any indication). Good luck with that.

Aren't those numbers artificially lower in the original H2 due to the fact that everyone good got cockblocked by modders/host booting at some point and it created a wall around mid 30s low 40s where everyone was stuck? I wouldn't be surprised for the average rank to be higher than that of H2 just because the ceiling won't be artificially lower than intended

• Upvote (+1) 2

WHO'S READY TO RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AGL AND HALO 4?$?$?$???Q?dgvs[duopfhosubv[dosbv[ODSUBpiuvfoyoyswfp*efpeyvfhbd:hbx: sb"bs{ugr+{(#&eg(hb poo poo

LOL JK Glad to be back for Halo's return to glory.

Has anyone who has gotten an early copy bothered too go through the gametype options I mean they can't stream multiplayer but I don't think there any rules about them showing us gametype so we could see if some things like things like Oddball throwing can be disabled.

So recently, it was announced that the MCC will come bundled with the the Xbox One. However, it is being made for Japan. For people who haven't heard yet, Microsoft has announced the standard edition and bundles such as CoD: Advanced Warfare ($450, Sunset Overdrive, and 2 Assassin's Creed Titles to be sold for $349.99 for the Holiday in the US. I'm hoping that MCC will be announced to be bundled with the Xbox One in the near future. With a huge fanbase that Halo has, it would not only sell like hot cakes, but also put the Xbox One back on the map that it needs to be on.

Sources:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/10/29/halo-master-chief-collection-xbox-one-bundle-made-japan/

Aren't those numbers artificially lower in the original H2 due to the fact that everyone good got cockblocked by modders/host booting at some point and it created a wall around mid 30s low 40s where everyone was stuck? I wouldn't be surprised for the average rank to be higher than that of H2 just because the ceiling won't be artificially lower than intended

No because that's what ranked play was like before modding and standbying were a big issue. It was right after the first rank reset where they made ranking up just a little bit faster (to get from a 49 to a 50 used to take a LOT of wins in a row). I was an average player at the time and once I got near 28 I started getting matches against 31-33's who would wreck my shit. Same thing happens mid-high 30's where you start getting matched with 40's. For me personally this was all in team slayer because that was the only worthwhile ranked playlist before hardcore came out.

Highest current skill achieved or highest skill ever achieved?

I may need to hone my reading comprehension.

party sizes being matched properly (this is back...right?)...

We don't know actually but its something good to bring up (since H2 didn't use party restrictions back in the day but it should now).

So recently, it was announced that the MCC will come bundled with the the Xbox One. However, it is being made for Japan. For people who haven't heard yet, Microsoft has announced the standard edition and bundles such as CoD: Advanced Warfare, Sunset Overdrive, and 2 Assassin's Creed Titles to be sold for $249.99 for the Holiday in the US

you mean 350$ and 450$ for cod

I'd be willing to bet highest skill ever achieved.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

We don't know actually but its something good to bring up (since H2 didn't use party restrictions back in the day but it should now).

During Halo 2 you could see the players highest rank ever achieved, even if it was just your clan's rank.

I would like to know how many 50's there will be in each playlist? If there are only like 5 spots then it will actually mean something, but in games like hce where there will *probably only be like at most 10,000 players, it will not be as rewarding if there are like 100 legit 50's. 

During Halo 2 you could see the players highest rank ever achieved, even if it was just your clan's rank.

H2 you saw the current highest rank achieved on your friends/recent/clan list and it would go up and down as they lost/gained it. H3 it showed highest ever achieved, as in if you got a 50 and weren't a 50 in another playlist and lost it it'd still show highest as 50. Either way doesn't matter I was just curious and wasn't sure if I was failing to read his tweet correctly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

H2 you saw the current highest rank achieved on your friends/recent/clan list and it would go up and down as they lost/gained it. H3 it showed highest ever achieved, as in if you got a 50 and weren't a 50 in another playlist and lost it it'd still show highest as 50. Either way doesn't matter I was just curious and wasn't sure if I was failing to read his tweet correctly.

Highest current skill achieved. Like Halo 4's CSR, it can go up or down and you could see the highest current skill achieved.

• Upvote (+1) 1

IIRC, it was the highest rank you currently held, so if you lost rank on your highest the displayed also went down.

Edit: looks like a couple people beat me to it dag yo

Honestly, I don't think it should be up to the community to string together niche groups of players that enjoy various settings, however we do have the power to. Jumping in matchmaking is nice and all, but playing team hardcore and w/e that sweet FFA (not rumble pit) settings in H2 weren't nearly as fun to me as playing an FFA all day in my clan or playing organized fours.

I posted in the CE thread and a good number of players did as well. If someone here is a really dedicated FFA player, they should make a thread/GT for FFA players and keep it active and alive. I figure joining random games won't be as accessible as they were in the past with clans.

Also, whats up with that picture of the playlists? Right above "CHOOSE GAME TYPE" and below "FIND GAME" appears to be 3 more slots you can scroll over.. do you guys think that will take you to appearance/settings? Or could those be additional playlists?

Hopefully a server list.

While I agree that it can be a blast to play with a tight group, that doesn't mean that the game shouldn't be more accessible. It's an extra step in what should otherwise be a quick and painless process for players to get into a match of their liking. Why keep that from the players? I don't get it.

Highest current skill achieved. Like Halo 4's CSR, it can go up or down and you could see the highest current skill achieved.

I like this.

easily shows derankers.

oh, you're a 15 but your highest rank was 47?

interesting.  you must have gone on tilt hard, I'm sure.

I'm a bit pissed now. There's a store in Mexico that will sell Halo early to some people (specifically hispanic shitty Youtubers)

<_< Mmmmmm... would be cool if 343i bans stores like that. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can anyone explain to me why people used to de-rank? I remember bumping into teams of people do that and never understood why people did that

Just the way the Halo 3 system worked.  Basically if you played with what looked like a bad player you would rank up faster.  People purposefully lost so they would look bad and then they would boost up their friends, helping them rank up faster.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah I was talking with someone and they planned on buying an Xbox One for this. Wondering why there wasn't a bundle for it. Kind of dumb to not have a bundle imo.