CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

You mean that thing they were recording months ago?

Bravo said that had nothing to do with it.

So what were they filming months ago?

So what were they filming months ago?

Your guess is as good as mine. Could be future Halo Channel content.

Too many playlists will fragment the population and will make every playlist have a low population. They're playing it safe for MCC - we all saw for Halo 4 played out when there were little players and tons of playlists.

Funny because H4 started with very few playlists and then as the population decreased the playlists increased. 

But you are certainly right they need to play it safe here. Besides we can just play customs now. Although I need to hear more about the ranking system before I make any more judgements. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The main reason why I support the veto system to return. You had to be good at all the maps and not just stick to the few you preferred, and it offered a more diversified experience in Matchmaking.

As for the playlist selection, 343 has shown that they like working on them on a case-to-case basis. What we'll get at launch are the few playlists that will stick with us for the entire duration of MCC. Some of them will see some significant changes (like Rumble getting other games at some point), but it will remain an overall similar experience. Rotational playlists will be their way to see what's popular and what works vs. what doesn't. Looking back at Halo 3, you'll remember that Living Dead and Grifball were so popular that at some point they were added to regular playlists, and in future titles, made into standalone modes. 

343 is looking to use a similar model to shape their Matchmaking experience into something that pleases all crowds. It's a challenge not because of server space, but like Moa said, to keep the population high and search times satisfying. You need to remember that most playlists will have a ranking system and restricted matchups. The whole thing will take a lot of time to feedback to become something perfect.

I'm also sure they will be tracking votes and gametype selection within playlists to see what belongs and what doesn't.

The veto system needs to stay dead.

Maybe in a perfect world, were all gametypes are amazing it could work, but H3 wasn't long enough ago for people to have forgotten what terrible things it did to matchmaking.

Vetoing Team Slayer on Guardian and getting Boundless Br's says it all. It works bolth ways, if you didnt get a good gametype AND br starts you were in for a shitty game.

We are getting automatic weapon starts in 2-3, so half of the time you are going to get a dud choice. I'd much rather play Lockout Br's ALL day than have to play ANY gametype without br starts.

Even competitive only a veto system would suck. Since for whatever reason 343 thought it would be a good idea to mix H2 and H3 in the competitive playlist, a veto system would force H3 games on us.

Without a veto system we could atleast keep H3 out of as many games as possible and maybe bring 343 to reconsider and take it out or put in H1.

What should be the dynamic element in a Terminal 'Anniversary'?

On Topic: I really don't expect the population to drop that far off until maybe five/eight years later.

Does anyone know what that annoying "zoom-like" sound was that was going off non-stop in the Zenith gameplay video? I had to shut the video off it was so damn annoying.

The veto system needs to stay dead.

Maybe in a perfect world, were all gametypes are amazing it could work, but H3 wasn't long enough ago for people to have forgotten what terrible things it did to matchmaking.

Vetoing Team Slayer on Guardian and getting Boundless Br's says it all. It works bolth ways, if you didnt get a good gametype AND br starts you were in for a shitty game.

We are getting automatic weapon starts in 2-3, so half of the time you are going to get a dud choice. I'd much rather play Lockout Br's ALL day than have to play ANY gametype without br starts.

Even competitive only a veto system would suck. Since for whatever reason 343 thought it would be a good idea to mix H2 and H3 in the competitive playlist, a veto system would force H3 games on us.

Without a veto system we could atleast keep H3 out of as many games as possible and maybe bring 343 to reconsider and take it out or put in H1.

Having multiple games in one playlist seems like a really bad idea to me regardless of the games. All of the Halo games play too differently to keep switching back and forth. If you've played several Halo 2 games in a row and all of a sudden get stuck playing Halo 3, I have to imagine muscle memory is going to be causing people to do button combos on accident while in a battle. 

Separate games, separate playlists... come on 343

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm pretty sure that the Halo 4 Gamestop spot was made by the guys at Roosterteeth ... Not sure about this new one for the MCC though.

it's already better than halo 3 and halo 4...mechanics wise (easily) and gameplay wise from what I saw...as long as it gets the proper support it will flourish...there is no "the BR sucks" or "god damn sprint, no de-scope, aa's..etc" to complain about...

the only huge concern is the amount of maps...

• Upvote (+1) 3

What should be the dynamic element in a Terminal 'Anniversary'?

On Topic: I really don't expect the population to drop that far off until maybe five/eight years later.

There does not need to be a dynamic element on EVERY map. Warlord/Stonetown for example do not have one. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Competitive players want H2C because its more competitive

Casual players want H2A because its new and has better graphics. Also a lot of them probably think that the H2 in the package is the Anniversary version, not the Classic version, as in a lot of players wouldn't consider that there are two versions of the same game. For example my former team mate thought MCC was just a remastered H2-only. And once I explained what the package actually was he went out and bought an xbox one.

Casuals are the majority, and when I say casuals I don't mean noobs, I mean casual Halo players, many casuals play competitive playlists but are casual about it. They tune in to tournaments and might even play in a few, but they don't post on forums and don't really care all that much about what game is better, they just want to play what everyone else is playing. That's what I mean by casual, so if most of them want that, and its only the super-competitive players like us on Beyond that want Classic, then Anniversary is going to have more numbers...then add in the fact that half of this forum wants H2A, and game over.

H2A will be the competitive title.

Couldn't of said it better. I really think 343 should have marketed MCC better atleast from the perspective of letting people know H2C is included in the game. The same thing happened to me. My friend told me it was being remade and I assumed it was just an anniversary. I researched, found out it included classic as well, and boom went out and bought xbox one. As for the casual perspective, I think you are spot on. I will say that I have competed in some tournaments (limited) but tune in and follow the scene via forums etc. While I do wish H2C was the competitive game, I think you're right and it will be H2A. I personally am at the point where I am just excited halo will be played competitively at all. Side note, hasnt there been some competitive tournaments announced for H2C? Maybe the games could somehow coexsist.

I just wish we had more maps for h2a, that's the only thing I'm worried about

Same. Really wish we were just given midship and Beaver Creek. Then add in a couple possible forge maps and we could have 7 competitive playable maps.

Having 6-maps only isn't that big of a deal, especially since they are the cream of the crop and have been polished both geometrically and aesthetically.

H2A has 4 maps that we can use competitively: Zenith, Shrine, Warlord and Lockdown. (Potentially 5 if Stonetown can be made viable with forge)

Halo 2 shipped with 4 maps: Midship, Lockout, Beaver Creek and Warlock.

Halo 3 shipped with 4 maps: The Pit, Narrows, Guardian and Construct, many of which were, and still are looked down upon.

Reach shipped with 2 maps: Zealot and Countdown, but survived for a while on the MLG circuit with the help of forge, and many people here believe MLG V7 is the best Halo we have had since CE/H2, despite having 2 maps only. 

Halo 4 shipped with 2 maps: Haven and Abandon, and had the worst gameplay yet, but was still used in competition. Sure you could argue it had 3 with Adrift....4 with Solace if you really want to push it, but the reality is competitive Halo can last at least a year with forge helping, even with only 2 disk maps - it has happened twice now, and has thrived on 4 twice now as well.

With 4 maps and the best forge to date, arguing that we don't have enough maps is arguing for the sake of arguing. 

And now PGL is supporting H2A too.

I really think 343 should have marketed MCC better atleast from the perspective of letting people know H2C is included in the game.

they marketed the game exactly how they wanted...for everyone to focus on H2A...they want their title to be the forefront of the collection...it's a new take on a previous title with pretty gfx and modern features...

it is what it is..i'm just glad it's not new in the sense of halo 4..

GT: Tom 2the Brady

Will be playing H1-H3 and H2A but not H4. Will also play some campaign if someone wants to co-op.

they marketed the game exactly how they wanted...for everyone to focus on H2A...they want their title to be the forefront of the collection...it's a new take on a previous title with pretty gfx and modern features...

it is what it is..i'm just glad it's not new in the sense of halo 4..

Don't get me wrong I think its really cool they made an anniversary edition as well. I am excited for it. I'm simply saying, make it clear about everything included and maxamize your sales. There are many more sales you can make for xbox one and MCC just by highlighting that the original version was also included.

I can't comprehend why you guys might hate forge. One of the best features to come to Halo imo. And I am very excited for forge news 

Forge allows Bungie/343 to continue making mediocre maps because they think we can fix them if we don't like them. The more we change the game from the vanilla version we get out of the box, the more we split up and decrease the size of our Halo Community. 

TLDR

Give us good maps out of the box and we shouldn't need forge in the first place. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Give us good maps out of the box and we shouldn't need forge in the first place. 

Or creativity? Or user created maps that actually work?

@below Purely graphics argument. Don't care. Doesn't matter. Try again.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

just waiting for that h1 dev Hardy Lebel or w/e to post his blog on map design. Everything this guy had said is pure genius so far so although I don't expect a whole lot of advice, I hope his insight is enough to turn forgers away from onslaught/midship clones.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Or creativity? Or user created maps that actually work?

When you go to a local Halo tournament, they either, A)Use default team slayer and maps, and keep 99% of the people who attend happy, or use MLG's settings and custom maps, and keep 1% of the people who attend happy and leave the rest of the people confused and pissed off.

By making the default gametypes and maps good/COMPETITIVE out of the box, everyone is happy, more people become interested in competing, and the national tournaments have more people show up. 

I have said it numerous times, games like League and Street fighter are great for competition because they use the vanilla version of the games with little to no changes in settings. 

We don't have that with Halo anymore. But at least we have the ability to be creative...sigh. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Too many playlists will fragment the population and will make every playlist have a low population. They're playing it safe for MCC - we all saw for Halo 4 played out when there were little players and tons of playlists.

While I understand that too many playlists could fragment the playerbase, I think we can agree that only having one dedicated playlist for any one of the entries in the series is a bit lacking. I'm sure I'm not the only one buying this game for one entry in particular (in my case, H1, in many others' cases, H2 or H3) and it just seems that their answer is cross-game playlists. Instead, they still could have launched with 12 playlists - 3 per game (dedicated). The cross-game playlists should be the exception, not the rule, since most people will likely stick to one game at a time. What do you think will happen when people are bent on getting the gametype they want, but people vote for another option (another game) in the lobby? Quitters.

Of course with a custom game lobby none of this matters, as the player who wants to FFA Snipers on Chillout can easily find it in the list.

I mean even the supposedly god-forsaken PC port of Halo CE has a server list (for both dedicated and P2P servers). I don't see how this isn't a no-brainer for 343i.