CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Lol I know I am going to be super rusty when MCC comes out. As we speak my friends and I are trying to organize a H:CE/H2 LAN, to try and get back into the swing of things.

I feel like even if there is the slightest bit of difference with H2C button glitches (not counting the new feel of the controller), I'm gonna have a tough time getting away from the muscle memory and the timing of H2C original vs. H2C MCC.

I hope im not the only one that instantly thought of people dressed in middle eastern garb sitting around old crts playing halo 1.

Allahu Arbiter

• Upvote (+1) 1

Since they are having a 20 GB update on day 1, they should give us the option to pre download it, just like the game. I don't know about all of you but I have work/classes the day of and I don't want to waste time sitting there waiting for an update. Tweet at pros like @@GH057ayame and neighbor to tweet at bravo/343/bsangel/xbox/microsoft etc. I think they'll do it

My hope is that once all these new Halo players and gamers get a taste of a real quality FPS in the MCC, maybe they will see the value in being part of a competitive FPS community and a game that rewards skill versus time spent and  fanboying yearly released games every year that have more depth in customization than actual game-play. There are alot of self-proclaimed "hardcore gamers" today(I remember when calling yourself that would of earned you the label of being called a "nerd") that have never really been apart of a hardcore gaming community.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like even if there is the slightest bit of difference with H2C button glitches (not counting the new feel of the controller), I'm gonna have a tough time getting away from the muscle memory and the timing of H2C original vs. H2C MCC.

Yeah, there is probably going to be an adjustment period for everyone, for a whole bunch of different reasons. Hopefully all the games in the collection play as close to the originals as possible, so the adjustment period won't be too difficult.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think they have already said it's going to be available for pre-download a few days before the games launch. 

I could be mistaken though.

If you pre load the game itself then you'll be able to pre load the update when it becomes available

I think they have already said it's going to be available for pre-download a few days before the games launch. 

I could be mistaken though.

they said you can download the game itself pre release. Haven't seen anything on the update yet

Yeah, there is probably going to be an adjustment period for everyone, for a whole bunch of different reasons. Hopefully all the games in the collection play as close to the originals as possible, so the adjustment period won't be too difficult.

Being able to just hop into matchmaking whenever you want should make it easy to get that muscle memory back. Right now it's just a pain trying to get games going on xbc and lan isn't even an option for me with no local players.

Honestly, just super pumped for MCC so I can play CE whenever I want now without all the hassle.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On a more emotional note- do y'all remember the first time you quad-shot? or the first time you pulled off a BXR/double shot kill in a real match? Gawwwwwwd the feels. Just wanna play H2C now.

they said you can download the game itself pre release. Haven't seen anything on the update yet

You know how everyone was kinda slaughtering Halo 3 earlier, well I will try to put my view on things.

I value Halo 3 as a good chill out game, mainly because it did so much for the customs/minigame community (fatkid, jenga, skycastle to name a few) and because I met some of my good friends through this game. 

I know it isn't the most competitive game in the world, which is what Halo mainly is known for, but it was fun for me, and it was my first full Halo experience.

Halo Reach did NOTHING for any community. The comp side was terrible, customs side terrible, it was just a complete shit show.

Halo 4 felt like it had potential, just a lot of bad ideas and the fact that the game was in early beta state at launch.

This is how I view things. Reach is easily the worst thing to happen to this franchise, in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I hope im not the only one that instantly thought of people dressed in middle eastern garb sitting around old crts playing halo 1.

That's gross, that's racist!!!!

/BenAffleck

what??? he wasn't eating, the guy wasn't leading his shots.

I know he wasnt leading his shots. But at that range you shouldnt have to. You can clearly see the bullets hitting him and sparking, but the shields aren't lighting up. That means he's eating. I mean a red rider BB gun shoots faster than a rifle from the time period around 2600

You know how everyone was kinda slaughtering Halo 3 earlier, well I will try to put my view on things.

I value Halo 3 as a good chill out game, mainly because it did so much for the customs/minigame community (fatkid, jenga, skycastle to name a few) and because I met some of my good friends through this game. 

I know it isn't the most competitive game in the world, which is what Halo mainly is known for, but it was fun for me, and it was my first full Halo experience.

Halo Reach did NOTHING for any community. The comp side was terrible, customs side terrible, it was just a complete shit show.

Halo 4 felt like it had potential, just a lot of bad ideas and the fact that the game was in early beta state at launch.

This is how I view things. Reach is easily the worst thing to happen to this franchise, in my opinion.

Random thoughts ahead. Reach was really painful in a couple of ways for me.

- The campaign makes such avoidable flaws. I considered speedrunning Reach for a while, even did a run on Easy and on Legendary. The combat has potential to be really fun, I enjoy the atmosphere of the game, etc. But:

• Bloom. Not a huge deal, but it's annoying even in campaign when your bullets don't go where you aim.
  • Really poor encounter design breaking up otherwise good levels. Remember that level where you have to sit on a hill and kill Covenant that spawn at the bottom until Halsey opens a door? Level where you sit in a shack while dropships unload waves of Brutes until you kill them and the game lets you leave. Level where you fly around shooting at spaceships for ten minutes with unskippable cutscenes. Level where you sit around and kill/hide from Covenant until Keyes tells you to shoot the cruiser.

It's like they ran out of ideas in the second half of the game and just decided to make everything Firefight. Like I said, just avoidable stuff. Would have been so easy to say, "Let's not have the player defend a door while waves of enemies spawn across the map." I have the feeling they were going for the Halo 1 feel (e.g. the Truth and Reconciliation gravity lift fight, or the fight in the belly of the beast) but it just didn't work out that way.

-- I thought the multiplayer was also close to good with a few tweaks. IMO v7 vindicates this, although I'd go even further and say Gold Pro really proves this game can be 'CE-like'. The engine is not terrible, the hit reg is decent, single-shot is better than burst, etc. Again, just a few fatal flaws: Bloom, Sprint, Loadouts/Armor abilities, poor dev maps. E.g. Zealot - literally a donut. It's telling that the best Reach maps are ports of Halo 1.

IMO there are a couple of broad-based 'styles' of Halo:

• Halo 1 (pistol, full use of weapon sandbox, low kill times, fast timers);
  • Halo 2/3 (BR, reduced usefulness of sandbox, aiming process streamlined and made much easier, melee dominance in CQB);
  • and Halo 4 (CoD/Battlefield-lite BTB fest, or at least that's what it was meant to be at launch).

For Reach, I can actually see what Bungie were talking about when they said they wanted to take inspiration from CE - the low jump height, the single-shot utility weapon, parts of the campaign structure and combat. I appreciate that effort and thought, I really do. But they screwed up a couple of key areas with really poor 'innovations', and now I'm worried that this will be taken as evidence that "the fanbase doesn't like that style" (meaning the Halo 1 style).

I know a ton of people who just instinctively didn't like the DMR - it wasn't that burst-style easy-to-hit BR that they probably grew up with. Halo 2 and Halo 3 sold a hell of a lot more than Halo 1 did. We don't know what Halo 5 will be like, but I'll bet you dollars to donuts it will be that H2/H3 style with some new bells and whistles.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I've missed playing with ya bro. Reach might have sucked hard, but I made some great friends and I can't wait to get the band back together for a reunion tour.

Me too man.  Remember remember the 11th of November!  

If your going to buy the MCC for just one game then your a idiot and not a true halo fan

huh, I did not know that about myself
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I'm willing to bet that Halo 5's "Spartan abilities" will be thruster pack style map movements that everyone can do.

Tons of people here agreed that Thruster Pack is a better ability than Sprint. So... 

Anyone worried about Scuf controllers and H2C button glitches? Extra buttons/paddles on those controllers will make button glitches ( Mainly Double shot im thinking )  require basically no skill or practice to pull off.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Anyone worried about Scuf controllers and H2C button glitches? Extra buttons/paddles on those controllers will make button glitches ( Mainly Double shot im thinking )  require basically no skill or practice to pull off.

People are going to do what they're going to do. Even if half the population started using scuffs it'll still be a lot better than getting standbyed 2/3 games in hardcore once you get to 30.

For anyone with just 2 button Scufs, it's pretty much just bumper jumper underneath the controller. No biggie. Annoying, but shouldn't be a huge detriment (I hope).

For anyone with just 2 button Scufs, it's pretty much just bumper jumper underneath the controller. No biggie. Annoying, but shouldn't be a huge detriment (I hope).

Well now you can choose which buttons are mapped to the paddles.. so having B and X mapped to those will allow aiming/button glitching at the same time with little to no effort at all.

Just very confused on how people are excited for a game that bad. I thought people just used it as a way to waste time until we got a worthwhile halo game to play, didn't know there were people that actually thought it was a good game.

I only play H3 cause it is the only Halo game that provides good competition at the moment. If I could play Reach ZBNS, H2 or CE I'd be playing that instead but obviously nobody good plays ZBNS and I can't play the others.