CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

6 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

It's supposed to improve realism. But from what I've seen (and layman eyes are perfectly valid here), it's far more about how lighting is applied rather than how it's processed. Look at Doom 3, that's 2002 technology with some of the best lighting atmosphere of all time - and literally all they did was make the dark dark.

Found the Doom 3 fanboi.

12 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

It's supposed to improve realism. But from what I've seen (and layman eyes are perfectly valid here), it's far more about how lighting is applied rather than how it's processed. Look at Doom 3, that's 2002 technology with some of the best lighting atmosphere of all time - and literally all they did was make the dark dark.

I won't say that Doom 3 isn't impressive, it is, but it isn't without its problems. You can shine a flashlight at an enemy directly in front of you and instead of casting a shadow it just looks like it produces a shadow slightly behind it that outlines the enemy rather than on the floor or wall. Your character doesn't even seem like he produces any changes to the lighting in an area when he is there either. Though I never played a ton of DOOM 3 (bored to tears playing it), so I'm not very familiar with the game.

From what I understand most, if not all, games don't implement ray tracing completely yet. Again, probably due to the power needed to use it, but the implications for how devs interact with light in games could be pretty big. Granted, yes it still comes down to the devs on how they implement it. 

What does this forum think about semi-static weapon spawn timers? 

Imagine Pit TS, but all the power weapons / powerups are forcibly spawned at 5:00, and then proceed to spawn at twice their original rate. 

You could even have certain weapons/powerups begin to spawn on maps only after a certain amount of time has passed, and then at regular static intervals. 

It'd make map metas a lot more interesting. Imagine something like construct going from an obnoxiously top-heavy map to a bottom-heavy one after a certain amount of time has elapsed. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

NGL this literally just looks like someone jacked the contrast/saturation up and added reflective floors for no conceivable reason

To be honest, no raytracing application I've ever seen has ever impressed me (in video, still frames is a different story). It almost seems like they're pursuing raytracing so they can simplify the environmental lighting workflow rather than make graphics legit better.

the first image used makes it look like h3

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

You could even have certain weapons/powerups begin to spawn on maps only after a certain amount of time has passed, and then at regular static intervals. 

This would be neat cuz you could make rotating spawn locations for power items.  On a 3 base asym, no power ups spawn initially.  At 1 minute, OS spawns in base 1.  At 2 minutes, Camo spawns in base 2.  At 3 minutes, Rockets spawn in base 3.  Then OS at 4, Camo at 5, and Rockets at 6 minutes and so on.  

4 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Imagine Pit TS, but all the power weapons / powerups are forcibly spawned at 5:00, and then proceed to spawn at twice their original rate. 

It'd make map metas a lot more interesting. Imagine something like construct going from an obnoxiously top-heavy map to a bottom-heavy one after a certain amount of tim has elapsed. 

I'd say it's more efficient to just play and design maps that don't require fixes like these to even work, but the concept does have potential.

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, _Synapse said:

It'd make map metas a lot more interesting. Imagine something like construct going from an obnoxiously top-heavy map to a bottom-heavy one after a certain amount of tim has elapsed. 

I had this exact same idea while talking with Quinn Del Hoyo about 4 years ago. He was asking everyones opinion in the green room on how to change the current way Halo is played. 

I'm still a massive fan of static and static only in arena shooters

10 hours ago, _Synapse said:

It'd make map metas a lot more interesting. Imagine something like construct going from an obnoxiously top-heavy map to a bottom-heavy one after a certain amount of time has elapsed. 

I am 100% in favor of testing scenarios where power items spawn in different places at different times during play. It's an excellent way to utilize the entire map surface and would essentially create three, four, five different gameplay experiences within one map/gametype.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Nokt said:

I won't say that Doom 3 isn't impressive, it is, but it isn't without its problems. You can shine a flashlight at an enemy directly in front of you and instead of casting a shadow it just looks like it produces a shadow slightly behind it that outlines the enemy rather than on the floor or wall.

Have you ever taken a picture with a strong flash of someone in front of a wall? That's actually a real thing.

Obviously it's two-decade-old technology at this juncture, but that's the point - when working with primitive lighting techniques, even then it was about tasteful application. One thing I've always hated about games that choose to emphasize heavy light contrasts is that their shadows just look like dark palettes, and the aforementioned video is another example of that.

8 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

I had this exact same idea while talking with Quinn Del Hoyo about 4 years ago. He was asking everyones opinion in the green room on how to change the current way Halo is played. 

I'm still a massive fan of static and static only in arena shooters

Yeah this is an idea that has been kicked around for a while.  Don't have PU/PW spawn for the first couple minutes. I also like having staggered spawn times so that they line up ever 2 or 3 spawn cycles.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the argument against moving power weapon spawns is that it could also emphasize certain areas less even if the gameplay in that particular spot was somewhat more balanced/competitive than the other spawn locations. There would also never be that third rocket spawn where you approach it differently against this particular guy who beat you to the rockets the other two times by doing the same thing. Basically if you weren't very careful you might dilute the metagame going on around those weapons/power ups

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Have you ever taken a picture with a strong flash of someone in front of a wall? That's actually a real thing.

Obviously it's two-decade-old technology at this juncture, but that's the point - when working with primitive lighting techniques, even then it was about tasteful application. One thing I've always hated about games that choose to emphasize heavy light contrasts is that their shadows just look like dark palettes, and the aforementioned video is another example of that.

Its more how one dimensional the shadows are rather than if that specific shadow is achievable or not. The shadows cast don't really care if the object you are shooting against are right next to a wall or not, nor if you are right up against the subject or not. Its a fine system, especially for 2002 standards, but its just showing one of the systems in how ray tracing would be easier to achieve realistic shadows. The same goes for reflections, I remember reading an article once how they literally rendered everything in a mirror to make it look like a mirror. It is unifying a lot of lighting systems into a single, useful system rather than many and doing a better job than their non ray tracing counter parts.

4 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

What do you guys have your Dead Zones set to? I usually run 0%, though I'm curious.

I think 7% is the minimum you need on most games on MCC to prevent the reticule from drifting on its own so that's what I have my inner dead zone set to, but not sure I'm remembering that number correctly and don't have access to MCC to check at the moment. Whatever that number is, I tested from 0% and up until I found it. I used to play at 0% and didn't mind it, but once I saw on a reddit post about the drift at very low percentages I changed it. 

Eventually increased CE's by 3% since it was too sensitive for me for the one nade trick I have learned so far.

5 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

What do you guys have your Dead Zones set to? I usually run 0%, though I'm curious.

0% on everything but CE. Around 2-3% on CE, for nade tricks.

So apparently h2/2a will possibly have flights at the end of this month. Considering 343s track record that’ll be early or late April. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Arlong said:

So apparently h2/2a will possibly have flights at the end of this month. Considering 343s track record that’ll be early or late April. 

I'm down for Halo 2. Whatever they've done to the searching on PC I only get Australian or East Asian Servers and they are sooooooo much better than playing on US which is all I get on Xbox. When Halo 2 drops I'll finally be able to play on decent connection consistently.

35 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I'm down for Halo 2. Whatever they've done to the searching on PC I only get Australian or East Asian Servers and they are sooooooo much better than playing on US which is all I get on Xbox. When Halo 2 drops I'll finally be able to play on decent connection consistently.

I'm actually getting consistent EU servers in CE, it's mindblowing. Did they finally fix the server selection?

8 hours ago, Basu said:

I'm actually getting consistent EU servers in CE, it's mindblowing. Did they finally fix the server selection?

Must have.

Is H1 singleplayer on PC supposed to be decent? I’m getting visual glitches when scoping and can’t pick up weapons. Didn’t see a repository of known bugs for PC specifically, but I didn’t look that hard either. 

23 minutes ago, Gobias said:

Is H1 singleplayer on PC supposed to be decent? I’m getting visual glitches when scoping and can’t pick up weapons. Didn’t see a repository of known bugs for PC specifically, but I didn’t look that hard either. 

I didn't have any problems running through the campaign with a buddy. Just my experience though

On 3/15/2020 at 7:57 PM, HeX Reapers said:

12% axial, 13% radial. It's exactly equivalent to what it was for 360 Reach and H4.

19 hours ago, Gobias said:

It's supposed to be but it is very buggy.