CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

36 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

The reason I want both is so we can have crossplay because crossplay is awesome for communities. It can definitely be balanced though and would need a lot of tweaking and testing.

Also it can't be done with the current playerbase but on a new game you should be able to filter by input for MM.

I think it can be done simply because as you can already see we're filtering by platform. If you pooled them together you would just need a release on PC that was friendly towards PC players. Not releasing with an optional input filter was actually a pretty large mistake because it alienated people who really cared about it. They really harmed their potential PC player base by making the moves that they did

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

The reason I want both is so we can have crossplay because crossplay is awesome for communities. It can definitely be balanced though and would need a lot of tweaking and testing.

Also it can't be done with the current playerbase but on a new game you should be able to filter by input for MM.

The problem is this! In most games with aim assist,  cqc battles(whom is the average battle) are out our hands. We’re relatively out of luck. No game company will lower aim assist by significant levels. In reach case that game has more aim assist than any game out there. When you’re on a mouse you must always be doing some sort of movement so you can track players movement. The mouse does excel when cross mapping fools outside RRR, but like I said it doesn’t matter if once someone gets RRR we’re totally fucked, unless we get the first shot or two. We miss, a controller player doesn’t and if they do miss then I’m sorry but you’re garbage. On a controller you tilting your stick all the way to the right won’t randomly cause your stick to slide off your opponent either. Sometimes even those of us with good muscle memory overcompensate at times. It doesn’t help that this games aiming inputs aren’t as good as a game like cS or overwatch, whom in my opinion has the best mouse aiming ever. That games definitely a lot better to recognize than say CS, since CS isn’t really about tracking, it’s more recoil control and spread patterns.

@Squatting Bear you disliked my AI post, what did you dislike about it? Was it the replace a quitter? 

@Hard Way yo dude I’m staryinh to think you’re right but not about the scoping just the velocity overall. Check this gameplay video out, there’s noticeable differences and the gun sounds are a bit different as well. 

• WutFace (+0) 1

9 minutes ago, Riddler said:

edit nvm

What do you think of my AI suggestion? I know it sounds a bit much but I think it could solve many issues. 1. Teammates don’t get fucked because a quitter turned a game into 3v4. A game no longer gets overly extended because that one guy refuses to quit. I know a surrender option could help, but there’s always trolls who would say no, and no game I’ll add a force surrender option. 

9 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I would be fine with the H2 style, if it just had fast item timers on static spawn, an excellent utility, and diverse, skillful, and useful weapon sandbox.

So not H2 style? 

• Fire (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Basu said:

So not H2 style? 

Haha I guess the only thing that’s left would be the TTK and movement.

15 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Haha I guess the only thing that’s left would be the TTK and movement.

H2 is weird because the glitches make the idea TTK pretty fast, the movement is sick and it has the best 4v4 map pool in the series, but then the sandbox is kind of garbage and  it has the worst weapon respawn system of any Halo game.

Isn't it just so odd and frustrating that everything that is good about Halo is distributed between all the games? (not evenly of course) Really makes me wish MCC wasn't just a remake collection but an "idealized version" of Halo that combines the best aspects of each game and then had all the maps available.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Fire (+1) 1

I don’t like the quick power up spawns simply because to me power ups are cheap AF. But I do think that 3 minutes is too long, so I’d be cool with 1.5 minutes or 2 minutes. As for power weapons, we can keep those at 2 minutes. 

@Basu, @Sitri, @Warlord Wossman, you guys did an incredible job with that mod. I love those changes. I'm gonna share that in Reclaimers and see if it inspires anybody to adjust some things. Stuff like oddball rolling and exploding nades on the ground just seem like no-brainer changes that can't really be argued against. The concussion rifle and focus rifle seem like that to me too, but I'm sure I'd get the "hurr durr legacy" argument, even though no one uses them.

• Fire (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Basu said:

If you have Reach on PC and aren't playing this mod you're doing yourself a huge disservice and missing out of the best Halo experience in decades:

Most of you already joined the discord but if you haven't you can do so here: https://discord.gg/w4wXgwA

Forum thread:

Nexus mod page: https://www.nexusmods.com/halothemasterchiefcollection/mods/256

I've been lurking the discord for a hot minute now. Maybe I should actually get in some games.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Three Six Xero said:

I've been lurking the discord for a hot minute now. Maybe I should actually get in some games.

4 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

please play we need people

Exactly this. There was a large influx of players when the mod was shown public for the first time, but only roughly 15 out of the 70 people on the discord have actually played lol. It's really easy to install and we will help out anyone who is having trouble. Most lobbies are happening on the weekends but feel free to just tag @pc any time to see if anyone wants to play.

5 hours ago, Basu said:

Exactly this. There was a large influx of players when the mod was shown public for the first time, but only roughly 15 out of the 70 people on the discord have actually played lol. It's really easy to install and we will help out anyone who is having trouble. Most lobbies are happening on the weekends but feel free to just tag @pc any time to see if anyone wants to play.

Maybe you should post the mod on some other halo modding discord’s. Or heck’s ask halo follower or hiddenxperia to show case it in a video, I bet they’d say yes. Maybe gamecheat13 as well or vengeful vadam 

2 hours ago, Arlong said:

Maybe you should post the mod on some other halo modding discord’s. Or heck’s ask halo follower or hiddenxperia to show case it in a video, I bet they’d say yes. Maybe gamecheat13 as well or vengeful vadam 

I'm probably gonna post in on the halomods discord sometime, but I'm not holding my breath. 98% of the general population check out as soon as they hear "competitive" or "CE pistol". Also, modding in Halo is mostly throwing scarabs, pelicans and frigates on a map, not actually developing a solid gameplay experience (aside from Halo Reach Evolved maybe).

Halo follower can fuck right off lmao, maybe we could get Vadam on board since this is in some ways Halo Reach Evolved: MP edition. It's also been suggested to send this to Naded or Vetoed as they might actually be interested in a solid competitive Halo PC experience.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Basu said:

If you have Reach on PC and aren't playing this mod you're doing yourself a huge disservice and missing out of the best Halo experience in decades:

Most of you already joined the discord but if you haven't you can do so here: https://discord.gg/w4wXgwA

Forum thread:

Nexus mod page: https://www.nexusmods.com/halothemasterchiefcollection/mods/256

So, wonderful work to all involved. You guys made a better sandbox than 99% industry designers I know do. I'd play in a heartbeat but I don't own MCC on PC.  Few questions.

What was the reasoning behind leaving the brute focus rifle as hitscan, I figure a charged single shot like that would do really well as a fast projectile. 

Was leaving the DMR in the mod a compromise for some people who wanted it? Seems a little redundant given all the other work you guys did. 

And what was the thinking behind the pistol and DMR doing 5 body shot kills instead of 6.

Super curious about all those things. The focus rifle also looks crazy strong.

That being said, wonderful work again guys. 

11 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

So, wonderful work to all involved. You guys made a better sandbox than 99% industry designers I know do. I'd play in a heartbeat but I don't own MCC on PC.  Few questions.

What was the reasoning behind leaving the brute focus rifle as hitscan, I figure a charged single shot like that would do really well as a fast projectile. 

Was leaving the DMR in the mod a compromise for some people who wanted it? Seems a little redundant given all the other work you guys did. 

And what was the thinking behind the pistol and DMR doing 5 body shot kills instead of 6.

The Brute Focus Rifle/Railgun is already kind of weak with how powerful the pistol is. Missed shots with it are punishing. Having it stay hitscan is something to give it worth.

The DMR isn't really a compromise, it was just an experiment that I thought worked out alright. It's not a completely necessary addition, but having something that can harass at longer ranges more easily is a welcomed addition.

The pistol was 5 body shots in CE. The DMR's damage was tuned as best it could be to stay a 4-shot kill while also making it combo with the pistol in teamshot scenarios.

The Focus Rifle is crazy strong, but it also runs out of ammo much quicker than in the base game.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Thanks man! Would love to have you in a lobby if you ever get a copy of MCC (I understand not buying the game haha).

It was never actually tested to make the Brute Focus Rifle projectile, mostly because it uses a mix of the Laser and Focus Rifle as its firing effect so we'd have to find a better solution to portray a hitscan projectile. Good input though, might be considered for future updates though because the weapon is quite divisive as some people swear its useless while others say it ruins the game with how strong it is.

The DMR is mostly placed on larger maps as a sort of defensive weapon so player can descope the enemy sniper (Zealot has DMRs in the bases for example). Personally I don't really see the need for weapon in between pistol and sniper, but it also doesn't exactly hurt the sandbox to have it and it does actually see use without stepping on the toes of the pistol so I'd say it's in a good spot.

The high body shot damage is because you can't actually set a headshot modifier, only tick a "headshot capable" box on each weapon, so you're stuck with adjusting damage values which affect both body and headshots proportionally. You can make it's damage behavior "plasma" instead of "bullet" so it takes like 17 body shots to kill but that's obviously not very useful. DMR is a 6sk to the body btw, not 5.

Focus was buffed stepwise and it was fairly useless for the longest time. With the limited range, lowered aim assist and the required tracking it's really only good in hallways or small rooms where the enemy can't effectively avoid getting melted. Granted, its damage is probably a tad too strong now as its knockback effect is almost redudant because any opponent getting shot by it dies long before they start getting pushed around.

• Like (+1) 1

To think 3 months from now we will have halo Infinite gameplay . Idk if I should be excited or worried. Maybe both but definitely more worried. Unlike most of y’all I won’t give a fuck if it has sprint, I’m just worried how the masses will take it. Although I’d prefer a no sprint halo, I’d just want something enjoyable. I’ve said it before but I didn’t hate halo 5 for its gameplay(least not entirely) it was the aiming mechanics. There not smooth, responsive etc, and different servers would have different aiming feelings, so it’s worse for someone who’s west coast as the average game was eastern(didn’t help that the group I use to play with all the time were all eastern players, whom always bitched like “me” when I hosted so the game would find a server closer to me! I want something in terms of gameplay similar to halo 5 mythic as that’s a pretty good way to modernize halo. 

4 hours ago, Sitri said:

The Brute Focus Rifle/Railgun is already kind of weak with how powerful the pistol is. Missed shots with it are punishing. Having it stay hitscan is something to give it worth.

The DMR isn't really a compromise, it was just an experiment that I thought worked out alright. It's not a completely necessary addition, but having something that can harass at longer ranges more easily is a welcomed addition.

The pistol was 5 body shots in CE. The DMR's damage was tuned as best it could be to stay a 4-shot kill while also making it combo with the pistol in teamshot scenarios.

The Focus Rifle is crazy strong, but it also runs out of ammo much quicker than in the base game.

4 hours ago, Basu said:

Thanks man! Would love to have you in a lobby if you ever get a copy of MCC (I understand not buying the game haha).

It was never actually tested to make the Brute Focus Rifle projectile, mostly because it uses a mix of the Laser and Focus Rifle as its firing effect so we'd have to find a better solution to portray a hitscan projectile. Good input though, might be considered for future updates though because the weapon is quite divisive as some people swear its useless while others say it ruins the game with how strong it is.

The DMR is mostly placed on larger maps as a sort of defensive weapon so player can descope the enemy sniper (Zealot has DMRs in the bases for example). Personally I don't really see the need for weapon in between pistol and sniper, but it also doesn't exactly hurt the sandbox to have it and it does actually see use without stepping on the toes of the pistol so I'd say it's in a good spot.

The high body shot damage is because you can't actually set a headshot modifier, only tick a "headshot capable" box on each weapon, so you're stuck with adjusting damage values which affect both body and headshots proportionally. You can make it's damage behavior "plasma" instead of "bullet" so it takes like 17 body shots to kill but that's obviously not very useful. DMR is a 6sk to the body btw, not 5.

Focus was buffed stepwise and it was fairly useless for the longest time. With the limited range, lowered aim assist and the required tracking it's really only good in hallways or small rooms where the enemy can't effectively avoid getting melted. Granted, its damage is probably a tad too strong now as its knockback effect is almost redudant because any opponent getting shot by it dies long before they start getting pushed around.

Gotcha gotcha.  Lemme know if these mods somehow find their way over to the console version, I don't know if you're editing specific map files to achieve a lot of these traits or if it's done through local stuff but - impressive work nonetheless.  Looks really fun.

• Like (+1) 2

Got around to playing CE on the PC and can confirm that leading is pointless because it's random where your bullets go anyway

God damn this Goldpro hotness looks LIT. I can only dream that it will come to console somehow. Although in '21 I plan to fully convert to the PC master race since none of my games will be console exclusive by then.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/19/2020 at 7:35 PM, Riddler said:

Porting a port of a port of a port of the original might not have been a good idea after all. 

The only way Halo 1 will ever be good on a platform other than the original Xbox, is if it is ported from scratch using the original Xbox version.

But this will not happen, and it's clear that the reason goes beyond incompetence. Microsoft simply does not want old games competing with new games for players attention (evergreen? what's that?). The only reasons any ports of old games exist on Microsoft platforms is for use in marketing and to make a quick buck, and the only reason MCC is still being propped up 5 years on is to prevent its stink from tainting Halo Infinite.

Also, I don't see how people can ask for changes to the gameplay of MCC titles when none of them have working original gameplay for reference.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

14 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Gotcha gotcha.  Lemme know if these mods somehow find their way over to the console version, I don't know if you're editing specific map files to achieve a lot of these traits or if it's done through local stuff but - impressive work nonetheless.  Looks really fun.

Yes it's just map and gametype modifications. Unless 343 add official mod support plus console compatibility this will stay PC exclusive.

On 2/24/2020 at 6:02 AM, Basu said:

Isn't it just so odd and frustrating that everything that is good about Halo is distributed between all the games? (not evenly of course) Really makes me wish MCC wasn't just a remake collection but an "idealized version" of Halo that combines the best aspects of each game and then had all the maps available.

Literally this. We could have a gem on our hands if they just took all the good bits.

20 hours ago, Arlong said:

To think 3 months from now we will have halo Infinite gameplay . Idk if I should be excited or worried. Maybe both but definitely more worried.

Yeah, it’s super weird. I remember the past 2 E3s waiting for new into. Since halo has been in a dry spell for.. awhile. (Never forget how H5 was the one mainline halo game to launch on Xbox One. Where the 360 had four games.)

Can’t remember what we got 2018. But the Infinite trailer in 2019 was hype, and at least told us it was coming.

Weird how its less than a year away and we have no gameplay yet though. Thought most games show off things earlier. 

10 hours ago, FarSight XR~20 said:

The only reasons any ports of old games exist on Microsoftplatforms is for use in marketing and to make a quick buck, and the only reason MCC is still being propped up 5 years on is to prevent its stink from tainting Halo Infinite.

That, and because they needed something to put out I suppose. Since H5 support was ending, and the next game wasn’t coming for a year and a half or so.