CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

11 minutes ago, Basu said:

That's... literally his point. H2's movement is so smooth and fluid compared to everything else, especially CE. Which is why the suggestion of just copy-pasting the H2 movement values to CE was made (after removing spread in all gametypes and jump delay were already suggested.)

It’s not really fair to use a game that was released in 01, that has jump delay, bad movement animations, strafe accel etc. it’s obviously way noticeable. I just said he should of used h3 as an example, since like I said, I don’t notice a lick of difference between the two regarding movement. And Has the jump delay ever been patched? Because from my experience on custom edition it never has outside of spv3.

lmao in halo 1 it looks like people are sliding on the map sometimes. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3 feels way slower than H2, but I thought I remember hearing it had more to do with H3's FOV than the actual movement speed and strafe acceleration. Either way, there's a reason why they had to bump up the movement speed for competitive settings in H3.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Just now, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

H3 feels way slower than H2, but I thought I remember hearing it had more to do with H3's FOV than the actual movement speed and strafe acceleration. Either way, there's a reason why they had to bump up the movement speed for competitive settings in H3.

Lol that’s because h3 movement is slow, but what these dudes are talking about is the response, input lag etc. when you kick into moving your sticks left-right to perform a strafe. To me there’s no difference between the two.

18 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Lol that’s because h3 movement is slow, but what these dudes are talking about is the response, input lag etc. when you kick into moving your sticks left-right to perform a strafe. To me there’s no difference between the two.

...I don't know what to tell you––I think you're reading a very different thread than everyone else.

This is the post you responded to:

12 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

It's very responsive. Fastest strafe accel in Halo and the quickest response time of any game in the franchise. Good jump arcs. 

It was in response to this post that you made:

12 hours ago, Arlong said:

What’s so good about h2 movement 

You gotta make up your mind on what you're talking about, otherwise no one is gonna have any clue what you're trying to say.

Even when people talk about the "responsiveness" of a game's movement, rather than the movement mechanics generally, strafe acceleration is inherently wrapped up in that discussion. Sure, there's no delay when you hit jump in H3 (at least not to the extent of CE), but there's no way you can say the strafe in default H3 settings feels as responsive as the H2 strafe––its far more sluggish, to the point where the competitive settings had to boost the movement speed to compensate.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

Dude halo 1 has terrible movement, and animations. That game isn’t the best comparison to use. I’d think you’d of used a game like h3.

And yet despite this, h3 mp is such a bad game compared to halo CE mp.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Removing bloom gives me so much hope for this game. I can just imagine the possibilities. 343 removes spread, fixes jump delay, fixes the hit reg, adds maps from NHE. MCC  becomes the definitive way to play CE online and is on par with the OG experience if not even better. They could show gameplay of Infinite with sprint, armor lock, and a grappling hook and I’d be happy as a clam playing CE every day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LI Mr X IL said:

Removing bloom gives me so much hope for this game. I can just imagine the possibilities. 343 removes spread, fixes jump delay, fixes the hit reg, adds maps from NHE. MCC  becomes the definitive way to play CE online and is on par with the OG experience if not even better. They could show gameplay of Infinite with sprint, armor lock, and a grappling hook and I’d be happy as a playing CE every day.

343 doesn’t have the skills to make an OG version of CE on MCC unfortunately.  It’s been 5 years and they still “don’t get it”.   At this point, their best way to save face is to release the source code of OG CE and CE on MCC so that others can do their job for them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, WARGOD said:

343 doesn’t have the skills to make an OG version of CE on MCC unfortunately.  It’s been 5 years and they still “don’t get it”.   At this point, their best way to save face is to release the source code of OG CE and CE on MCC so that others can do their job for them.

Let me dream damn you.

38 minutes ago, WARGOD said:

And yet despite this, h3 mp is such a bad game compared to halo CE mp.  

Who decided that? You? The majority would say h3 is the good game and CE is the bad so shut up! 

• Downvote (-1) 3

42 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

...I don't know what to tell you––I think you're reading a very different thread than everyone else.

This is the post you responded to:

It was in response to this post that you made:

You gotta make up your mind on what you're talking about, otherwise no one is gonna have any clue what you're trying to say.

Even when people talk about the "responsiveness" of a game's movement, rather than the movement mechanics generally, strafe acceleration is inherently wrapped up in that discussion. Sure, there's no delay when you hit jump in H3 (at least not to the extent of CE), but there's no way you can say the strafe in default H3 settings feels as responsive as the H2 strafe––its far more sluggish, to the point where the competitive settings had to boost the movement speed to compensate.

because halo 3 doesn’t feel sluggish from my experience. Raising movement speed doesn’t magically change how responsive a games movement feels. It’s faster because duh you raised the movement speed. H2 default speed is slow AF compared to h3 mlg speed.

34 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Who decided that? You? The majority would say h3 is the good game and CE is the bad so shut up! 

The comment is based on what former pro players like ogres and walshy and others that have played both CE and H3 competitively have stated.  I could give zero fucks about some H3 kid’s opinion on the matter.  It’s the opinions of those that have been playing CE since 2001 and every halo after it that have an actual opinion worth listening to.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Arlong said:
1 hour ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

because halo 3 doesn’t feel sluggish from my experience. Raising movement speed doesn’t magically change how responsive a games movement feels. It’s faster because duh you raised the movement speed. H2 default speed is slow AF compared to h3 mlg speed.

It absolutely does. If the strafe acceleration in the game is low, you can compensate a bit by bumping up the overall movement speed. Why do you think the competitive settings in H3 and Reach jacked up the movement speed? It wasn't so people could traverse the map quicker, it was to make the strafe more responsive, to give your directional inputs more weight to overcome the higher inertia of the base game. It doesn't solve the underlying problem, but it makes a huge difference.

This is clearly not worth continued discussion. You're changing the goalposts on what you're talking about every post you make and you're totally ignoring the connection between strafe acceleration and the responsiveness of a game's movement mechanics. If I push my left stick all the way to the right, both H2 and H3 might process that input at the same time, but the faster acceleration in H2 means that my Spartan will execute––or respond to––my desired input (that being moving at full speed to the right) faster than it would in H3.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, WARGOD said:

The comment is based on what former pro players like ogres and walshy and others that have played both CE and H3 competitively have stated.  I could give zero fucks about some H3 kid’s opinion on the matter.  It’s the opinions of those that have been playing CE since 2001 and every halo after it that have an actual opinion worth listening to.

Lol who gives a fuck. Players like me who enjoy h3 are the majority so deal with it! 

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

57 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I'll say that CE's movement feels sluggish and could have been better than it was.

But Halo 3's gameplay on the whole doesn't compare. CE's sandbox and map design is superior, and the Magnum is way more consistent than the H3 BR and is the fundamental reason CE isn't considered a teamshoot game like Halo 2 and 3 are.

What Halo 3 has going for it at its time was actual internet connectivity, Forge, more custom game options, theater, and all of that coalescing into more community involvement. I'm not suggesting that Halo 3 was a bad game by any means, but CE has a lot going for it when it comes to its gameplay design which is why many consider it to be the most competitive Halo release simply on the gameplay end.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

26 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Lol who gives a fuck. Players like me who enjoy h3 are the majority so deal with it! 

Awful take. If popular opinion was what decided a Halo game's quality, then Halo may as well abandon all of it's competitive side and become a Mario kart clone. 

A game's worth is intrinsic to it, not extrinsic to it. There's a reason why the phrase "underappreciated gem" exists. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

How much of Halo 3's sluggish movement can be chalked up to a low FoV, and how much of complaints against CE's movement can be chalked up to a lack of sticky feet and gliding? Halo 2, even just speaking specifically about movement, should be the benchmark that 343 is shooting for. 

Bad, bad take. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

Lol I could care less what the majority is. Some h3 kid not understanding that overall halo CE is a better mp game than h3 taking the faults of both games into account is to be expected.  It’s a matter of h3 kids not knowing any better. Your opinion merely confirms this, and nothing more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

@Arlong, I'm curious of your opinion about clan recruiting lobbies in custom browsers, or assassinations only games in the custom browser.

@Shekkles, I'm all for no-spread H3 as well, but why do you want to decrease bullet velocity? You trying to offset the newly expanded usefulness of the BR? I could understand that, but just bear in mind that on MCC, scoped-in shots travel slower. I wouldn't want to exacerbate that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WARGOD said:

Lol I could care less what the majority is. Some h3 kid not understanding that overall halo CE is a better mp game than h3 taking the faults of both games into account is to be expected.  It’s a matter of h3 kids not knowing any better. Your opinion merely confirms this, and nothing more.

When it comes to the competitive community most like h3 more too.

16 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

@Arlong, I'm curious of your opinion about clan recruiting lobbies in custom browsers, or assassinations only games in the custom browser.

@Shekkles, I'm all for no-spread H3 as well, but why do you want to decrease bullet velocity? You trying to offset the newly expanded usefulness of the BR? I could understand that, but just bear in mind that on MCC, scoped-in shots travel slower. I wouldn't want to exacerbate that.

Fuck em. Hate those bastards, they don’t even do clan vs clan, they’re basically fucking poinyl 

Comparing Halo 3 to CE is like comparing checkers to chess...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hully said:

Comparing Halo 3 to CE is like comparing checkers to chess...

Exactly, if I want to play a game with an inferior skill curve to CE (chess), I'll play halo 3 (checkers)

My little nephew who plays CoD recently played some halo CE and some halo 3 on MCC, both for the first time.  In halo 3, he was getting 10 kills a game and 7-8 deaths despite never playing it.  In halo CE, he was getting 1-2 kills and like 15+ deaths.  We played about 10 games of each.  The skill curve of Halo CE is so much higher such that the comparison is a joke.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its a dumb comparison simply because the "best" game to someone is the one they have the most fun with. It doesn't inherently have anything to do with skill cap or difficulty or learning curves or anything like that depending on who you talk to. You could find someone that thinks H3 is better simply because they like the colors if you look hard enough. These conversations will never go anywhere

• Like (+1) 1

Fuck em. Hate those bastards, they don’t even do clan vs clan, they’re basically fucking poinyl 

When you load up the custom browser, what percentage of games would you say is some sort of recruitment lobby or assassinations only lobby?