CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Didnt watch video but like lemon said, reach was doomed to launch. 343 would have to do something they've never done to make it sail. And like Silos said, there is no interest to play this damn game continuously. Halo CE and halo2 campaigns are already on PC. Halo 3 multiplayer is already on PC. Halo reach has always been 2nd to halo 3 in every regard, and halo3 isn't even doing that well (I mean it had like 500-1000 people which is good enough, but not well). 

Reach would be in top 10 games on steam if, and only if:

1. free to play

2. aiming actually feels nice. 50ms input delay when every other fps has under 15 is not acceptable.

3. The audio wasnt broke. #2 and #3 alone are enough to never play this game again. The game should not have launched until #2 and 3 are fixed, and it leaves a sour taste in people's mouth for the next game titles. the audio is broke for halo2-3 on mcc to this day on xbox.

4. didnt have no forge, no theater.

5. UI wasnt clunky. I can't even see my xbox friend's list on the game. It's hard as fuck to invite recent players. no steam friends list support.

6. There could have been more incentives to playing other than progression. Progression is still good. 

7. it had new features like what they teased in forge. If the game launched with new modes (modded or not), the game could have done so much better. They should hire modders to make new gametypes for ce-4 release

I think reach sold 3million units? 30million revenue is more than enough to pay for the 12 people on the mcc team lmao. 343+M$ are more than happy with this result. This means nothing is going to improve. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Shekkles said:

343 haven't done well with the maps at all. Getting Uplift every second game is a joke.

- the last decade

Its pretty crazy that we're even out here willing to see if they'll release something worthwhile. We should be the easiest people in the world for them to impress at this point since we're actually crazy enough to stick around and try to enjoy their products over and over. Just release a complete mainline Halo game once and I'll praise 343 all day for it

1 hour ago, Riddler said:

Didnt watch video but like lemon said, reach was doomed to launch. 343 would have to do something they've never done to make it sail. And like Silos said, there is no interest to play this damn game continuously. Halo CE and halo2 campaigns are already on PC. Halo 3 multiplayer is already on PC. Halo reach has always been 2nd to halo 3 in every regard, and halo3 isn't even doing that well (I mean it had like 500-1000 people which is good enough, but not well). 

1. free to play

2. aiming actually feels nice. 50ms input delay when every other fps has under 15 is not acceptable.

3. The audio wasnt broke. #2 and #3 alone are enough to never play this game again. The game should not have launched until #2 and 3 are fixed, and it leaves a sour taste in people's mouth for the next game titles. the audio is broke for halo2-3 on mcc to this day on xbox.

5. UI wasnt clunky. I can't even see my xbox friend's list on the game. It's hard as fuck to invite recent players. no steam friends list support.

6. There could have been more incentives to playing other than progression. Progression is still good. 

7. it had new features like what they teased in forge. If the game launched with new modes (modded or not), the game could have done so much better. They should hire modders to make new gametypes for ce-4 release

I think reach sold 3million units? 30million revenue is more than enough to pay for the 12 people on the mcc team lmao. 343+M$ are more than happy with this result. This means nothing is going to improve. 

Halo online was brought together under indie developers, whom got fucked by 343. The game is still running but to find the D/L you have to search on 3rd party websites, which no ones going to look for. When it came out the game with basically zero knowledge from fans was peaking at 15k and more to come before M$ took a dump on the game. If the games website was allowed to keep the D/L and make improvements and update content then the game be populated to this day. But unfortunately that’s not what happened, and now we’re in the mess we have today. Also! H1&2 are ran on programs that are not 1st party which is why they aren’t as popular as they should be. The people do not know what halo custom edition or project catogaphrer is. The only way they would is if these would get advertised which we all know will not happen EVER! 

16 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Legacy.

Yeah, but even the weighting for it is ridiculously high. I don't know why it's so hard for 343 to understand that people aren't booting up H2 FFA because they can't wait to play on Tombstone or Gemini. I think I've played those two twice as much as I've played Lockout or Midship outside of customs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Riddler said:

1. free to play

The game would've done just fine if it had been mnk only. Most gamers are drones and just play what their favourite streamer plays and plenty of big streamers were interested in giving reach a shot. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

I'm surprised none of you have brought up the possibility that a substantial portion bought the game to play the campaign in particular and when they were done with that went to the more modern MP shooters out there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

I'm surprised none of you have brought up the possibility that a substantial portion bought the game to play the campaign in particular and when they were done with that went to the more modern MP shooters out there.

The sweatlord in me doesn't want to accept that the majority of halos fan base are campaign kids. I mean h1/2 were great and I replayed them a lot- then I got Xbl and the campaigns turned to poo anyway. 

At least 50% of people play exclusively campaign. Just look at the MCC achievements and the "X amount of epic gamers unlocked this" stat. Most MP achievements even the easier ones are much rarer than harder stuff like solo legendary campaign.

5 hours ago, Basu said:

At least 50% of people play exclusively campaign. Just look at the MCC achievements and the "X amount of epic gamers unlocked this" stat. Most MP achievements even the easier ones are much rarer than harder stuff like solo legendary campaign.

I just looked into this. The Domination achievement, which is earning 100 legendary medals in matchmaking, has been completed by 0.17% of the playerbase. Triple doubles and steaktaculars count as legendary medals which make the achievement easily attainable. The achievements for 250 CTF specific medals is earned my 0.32%,  2,500 assists is 0.31%, 100 killing sprees is 1.55%, and winning 500 multiplayer games is 0.52%. Only 2.02% of the playerbase has earned 250 double kills or more in matchmaking, only 1.63% of the playerbase has won 200 game of multiplayer, and only 19.80% of people have won 10 games of multiplayer. Less than 20% of people who have installed MCC have won 10 games of multiplayer or more, which I find to be pretty shocking.

The amount of people who have collected 8,000 campaign or playlist medals is 3.87%. Completing all campaigns on normal difficulty is 2.77%, Heroic is 1.09, and Legendary is 0.67.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Keep in mind some of those numbers are going to be thrown off by the fact that people dropped MCC very quickly because MM was actually broken. 

But yes, those are pathetic numbers 

• Like (+1) 1

Reach isn't the best halo out there so it was bound to have a drop off. But 343s tendency to, you know, not launch games properly, probably did the most damage. I would've expected a drop off to maybe 50k if the game launched correctly. Maybe a little less since it's 10 years old and it's entering a market that's already over saturated.

The one thing ill say is that I'm surprised it did as well as it did initially.

1 minute ago, Mr Grim said:

Reach isn't the best halo out there so it was bound to have a drop off. But 343s tendency to, you know, not launch games properly, probably did the most damage. I would've expected a drop off to maybe 50k if the game launched correctly. Maybe a little less since it's 10 years old and it's entering a market that's already over saturated.

The one thing ill say is that I'm surprised it did as well as it did initially.

We're talking about Reach. 50k people who enjoy that game do not exist

18 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

We're talking about Reach. 50k people who enjoy that game do not exist

You say that but it retained a population roughly double that if not more when it was out for at least 2 years. Had halo 4 come out in 2013 it would've likely kept that for a third year. Not saying it would be that again, of course not. Just that more people like reach, or at least seemed to like reach than many in the competitive community wanted to believe. 

I think the biggest issue isn't the bad mouse aiming, aim assist on PC debacle or even the AIDS core gameplay, it's the fact that 343 thought it was a good idea to ruin the big things Reach was known for: Custom games and the slick UI. Don't need another paragraph why MCC UI is a joke, but I want to emphasize how fucking stupid it was to launch without forge and theater on PC. It's such a 343 way of handling things and the cherry on top is that Forge is actually in the game, but you have to use mods to unlock it. They could've easily just had it there at launch with a disclaimer that for now it only works with controllers, given that 90% of the population is using controllers anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Basu said:

I think the biggest issue isn't the bad mouse aiming, aim assist on PC debacle or even the AIDS core gameplay, it's the fact that 343 thought it was a good idea to ruin the big things Reach was known for: Custom games and the slick UI. Don't need another paragraph why MCC UI is a joke, but I want to emphasize how fucking stupid it was to launch without forge and theater on PC. It's such a 343 way of handling things and the cherry on top is that Forge is actually in the game, but you have to use mods to unlock it. They could've easily just had it there at launch with a disclaimer that for now it only works with controllers, given that 90% of the population is using controllers anyway.

I agree. Most companies would be intelligent enough to understand this. Like the average pc gamer has a controller of some form of game pad! 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

You say that but it retained a population roughly double that if not more when it was out for at least 2 years. Had halo 4 come out in 2013 it would've likely kept that for a third year. Not saying it would be that again, of course not. Just that more people like reach, or at least seemed to like reach than many in the competitive community wanted to believe. 

Liked for sure in the past tense entirely. Its 2020 however and Reach is a bad and old game. Its not holding 50k. Its hard to pull attention to your game when even if we don't call it bad we can say its quite an old console fps being released on steam into a pool of newer and better looking games alongside other aged games that you'd be hard pressed to call a worse or less enjoyable use of time than Reach is now. As I type this right now Destiny 2 is sitting at 53k with a high of around 70k for the day. Do you think Reach can compete with Destiny 2? How about PoE with a peak of 48k today. Right now Reach is chilling below the original counterstrike so even assuming a perfect release it seems pretty optimistic to think Reach could compete with games that are actually popular currently

355,568  779,615   Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
282,085  579,025   Dota 2
88,105 227,398   MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
86,479 158,371   Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
72,621 451,913   PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
72,562 189,393   Grand Theft Auto V
65,152 70,560   Team Fortress 2
54,163 77,877   Rust
53,453 78,955   Destiny 2
52,304 79,621   Rocket League
46,478 77,417   Football Manager 2020
43,719 74,395   ARK: Survival Evolved
40,404 69,390   The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
38,945 55,381   Sid Meier's Civilization VI

That is the group of games Reach would be joining with a peak over 50k for today. That would be an insane achievement for 343 (left is current population and right is today's peak). MCC NEEDS the rest of the collection

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

How often do you guys stick with the multiplayer of a new game you buy for more than a week or two? Maybe I'm in the minority, but most games I'd be lucky to do more than a couple sessions before removing the game and probably never playing it again, or only playing it occasionally. I really don't think 5000 players is some massive failure.

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't played destiny 2 but I'm sure it's kinda dumb. 

1 hour ago, Silos said:

How often do you guys stick with the multiplayer of a new game you buy for more than a week or two? Maybe I'm in the minority, but most games I'd be lucky to do more than a couple sessions before removing the game and probably never playing it again, or only playing it occasionally. I really don't think 5000 players is some massive failure.

When I buy a game it's usually for the multiplayer, and when I buy a game for the multiplayer it's either because I've heard really good things about it, or I have friends urging me to pick it up. The last time I kind of rolled the dice on a brand new franchise was for Overwatch, and years later I'm pushing something like 1,200 hours on the game. The last game I bought for MP was Modern Warfare because I was a huge fan of CoD4, and just old school CoD in general. I ended up hating the game, I doubt I even have a day of gameplay on it, and I consider that money to have been kind of wasted, because even the campaign was a letdown. I guess I'm not a try it and move on kind of person, I like to get involved with things and stick with them if I enjoy it. And maybe to a fault I suppose, considering I'm posting on a Halo forum in 2020.

• Like (+1) 8

3 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

I haven't played destiny 2 but I'm sure it's kinda dumb. 

I've been glued to Destiny since 2014. No regrets

• Like (+1) 1

It's ridiculous how much better the forged maps are in Reach compared to the base maps. 

I think Nexus, Unconquered, Select and Synapse alone are more fun than any dev map in Reach. Amazing how a developer can be so divorced from what makes their games good. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, _Synapse said:

It's ridiculous how much better the forged maps are in Reach compared to the base maps. 

I think Nexus, Unconquered, Select and Synapse alone are more fun than any dev map in Reach. Amazing how a developer can be so divorced from what makes their games good. 

I always thought it would have been cool if Forge maps, with enough community and dev approval, could be given an official dev treatment.

Get good playing maps, that also look good.

• Like (+1) 1