CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

2 hours ago, Arlong said:

It’s not as adequate because I don’t put a lot of effort in doing so.  And im on a mobile device every time I’m on here whom I’ll assume some of y’all aren’t. I’m 21 if you’re so curious, and I’ll let you decide on how that affects your opinion of my writing abilities. 

Okay, I exclusively browse this site on mobile, which I assume plenty of others around here do so as well. I don’t have the time or energy to effortpost like some do, however it isn’t very difficult to proof read real quick and make sure the point I’m making is concise and without possibility of being misunderstood. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Boyo said:

That sounds like a terrible idea, having the game force you into an animation without warning.  

Every enemy you kill should be dropping utility ammo.  Not sure how you’re running out of ammo unless you are laying down massive amounts of fire and not killing anyone.  

I didn't say that. I said auto-reload. No animation. You kill someone and you get a full mag without anything pertaining to reloading. So you can keep firing, uninterrupted. 

And yeah. I lay a ton of fire without killing people. I will fire at people across a map to assist somebody else. I'll fire at a dude I know I won't get a kill on, just to damage them and make them fuck off. I will shoot people running to me to kill them. I can't always pick up the ammo from people I kill. A lot of the time I kill people at dumb ranges. Or I'm in a power position and shouldn't be moving to a weaker one in the first place.

Granted, you already saw this, but may as well just lay down my points as I'd have written them, lol.

6 hours ago, Basu said:

Her use of the word inconsistent might be gramatically correct, but I can't help but laugh every time I see that projectile is "inconsistent". What a weird concept.

Much better arguments against projectile would be things like Halo's wack netcode and 343's shit-tier servers. Or that it clashes with the aim-assist mechanics, because your reticle is dragged towards oppenents while leading requires you to aim ahead of them.

Might be alien in an echo chamber, lol. It's still an actual thing to exist in the way I describe it.

50 minutes ago, Arlong said:

If a hacker uses aim bot in a projectile based game it cannot be perfect, but in hitscan it always a will be.

However. This. This is literally the reason it is inconsistent and isn't a super viable mechanic in comp. Even with aimbot doing the work for you, you will miss by its nature. Again, think back to AI that are aimbots and will miss you with projectile, compared to those with consistent hitscan weaponry. Not to mention, this is a console shooter with aim assist.

If you can be at a literal peak, superhuman level in performance, even for a thought experiment, and still be fucked over by shit outside of your control in an FPS, how do you figure that's okay? Why should the person with this hypothetical (We'll say it's skill to hyperbolize he's a goooood) skill not be able to just auto nuke you in every gunfight you go into with him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If you wanna sit back in one spot and pop shots at everything that moves, you running out of ammo is the game telling you to move.  And I would tend to agree with the game.  Convince me that allowing players to remain at one location for vast stretches of time is good for gameplay.  

Just now, Boyo said:

If you wanna sit back in one spot and pop shots at everything that moves, you running out of ammo is the game telling you to move.  And I would tend to agree with the game.  Convince me that allowing players to remain at one location for vast stretches of time is good for gameplay.  

Okay. This is a game centered on power positions. Even IF power ups and weapons exist, why are we telling people to keep control of power positions, and then having them lose it, or be unable to keep contesting, regardless of skill, because they run out of ammo literally dominating the other team, lol. Convince me your stance isn't just artificial bullshit meant to help kids getting stomped get a foothold by neutering players actually dealing damage, lol. Not just artificial, but unironically contrary to what we think Halo is. If advanced movement makes "positioning not matter", then running out of ammo sure as fuck also does that. Punishing people for playing the game ideally isn't good gameplay.

On 1/12/2020 at 1:36 PM, My Namez BEAST said:

I agree, snipe should be removed from the game. 

The Sniper has limited ammo.  When it runs out, you move.  Kinda the whole point I am trying to impress upon you here.  

H2 Foundation would have been pretty dope with no pick ups and unlimited BR ammo.  I’m never leaving this room.  

I think ammo limitations is a huge bandaid on other design issues.  I should NEVER run out of ammo on a utility weapon because essentially - I'm doing really good. Happens a lot in H3/5 when you put down a lot of shots. If you're being rewarded for not moving there are other, more root level issues in play that should be addressed at that level. Not, "we'll just limit ammo so eventually they'll have to move". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MultiLockOn said:

I think ammo limitations is a huge bandaid on other design issues.  I should NEVER run out of ammo on a utility weapon because essentially - I'm doing really good. Happens a lot in H3/5 when you put down a lot of shots. If you're being rewarded for not moving there are other, more root level issues in play that should be addressed at that level. Not, "we'll just limit ammo so eventually they'll have to move". 

Big zing. I think another big part in play not being spoken on is how power positions, while powerful, aren't one stop, domination shops. So you're at a disadvantage, but not a guaranteed loss. As it should be. So a player that can't reach them is one that tends to be outplayed over one that is being screwed by poor design decisions. There are a few maps that obviously are way too setup-y in that regard. But we run a good gamut of maps not like this. And run counter to the idea unlimited utility ammo would screw with things.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Big zing. I think another big part in play not being spoken on is how power positions, while powerful, aren't one stop, domination shops. So you're at a disadvantage, but not a guaranteed loss. As it should be. So a player that can't reach them is one that tends to be outplayed over one that is being screwed by poor design decisions. There are a few maps that obviously are way too setup-y in that regard. But we run a good gamut of maps not like this. And run counter to the idea unlimited utility ammo would screw with things.

I think it's worth discussing the frequency of grenades on that note. Grenades are a utility weapon no different than the pistol in the sense that you spawn with it, and maps are absolutely built with "Yup this spot is easily nade checked" but for how often you chuck your nades I feel like more often than not you don't have them when you actually need them, especially if you're alive for more than 40 seconds. I usually load my 2v2 maps with frags everywhere because most maps just don't have them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

32 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

I usually load my 2v2 maps with frags everywhere because most maps just don't have them. 

How about a grenade vending machine that you melee for it to drop one.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

Perhaps, but it for the most part does its job, of making this person move. That’s happened to me plenty of times, and yes it’s annoying to die because of a lack of ammo. Been playing too much quake man, that game is no reload, and basically unlimited ammo, heck’s I don’t even think any guns have any overheat feature. Bottomless clip isn’t a good thing. There’s valid reasons to have reload. 
Man it’s almost like some of you guys don’t ever think about competitive merits and “balance” having to preserve ammo is a form of balancing. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

34 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Man it’s almost like some of you guys don’t ever think about competitive merits and “balance” having to preserve ammo is a form of balancing. 

For all the wrong reasons. Like bloom. Punishing someone for firing their weapon and maintaining position isn't proper balance. At all. In a game about shooting and power positions. Again, it's just screwing over better players.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I was at hockey, what did I miss

26000 redundant words from you and Ice.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I was hoping for some hardcore offensive stuff, oh well

I'll be sure to leave it until we're at blows next time. 

If a player doesn’t want to move but still wants his ammo replenished perhaps some sort of item delivery system could be implemented where points gained from kills and assists could be traded for ammo or weapons.  

• Fire (+1) 1

I may or may not have almost died last night. I also may or may not have been lying in the ER, and among many racing thoughts, thinking I hope I live long enough to find out if Infinite is a decent game...

Gotta say I am a fan of having infinite ammo on the utility weapon. And also grenades. I'd rather grenades be supplied all throughout the map then spawn with 2 and not be able to find any afterwards.

Now do I want to remove reloading, or implement auto-reload after a kill, idk I'd want to play with those settings before going that far. For auto-reload I could see someone getting upset when they shoot 3 enemies once or twice along with a couple misses, gets all assists, but doesn't get credit for any kills and now can't help on the last enemy and dies bec they had to reload.

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

If a player doesn’t want to move but still wants his ammo replenished perhaps some sort of item delivery system could be implemented where points gained from kills and assists could be traded for ammo or weapons.  

Sounds like a top five mechanic. Imo the ammo isn't holding anyone back in halo- you spawn with a generous amount of clips (3+?) and if you're finding yourself running out of ammo so often it's gotta be from very passive play. 

Obviously pinging people and keeping them weak across map is a good thing but to me if I found myself running out of ammo noticeably often I'd take it as a sign I need to commit to some kills or stop choking my one shots as often, move a bit more. In obj it's not as bad but still unless you're actually killing you're not doing as much as you should/could.

I feel like a gun that can effectively kill a whole team quickly in one mag before a reload is just as good as not having a reload. Except it comes with the added benefit of putting a wedge between good shots and bad shots. Good shots won't get caught without ammo. A bad shot will.