CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

1 minute ago, JordanB said:

No, a power weapon is limited to one user at a time. A power weapon, when used correctly, enhances your ability to kill the enemy. 

Everyone has sprint at all times, so that's a bad comparison. And sprint doesn't help me kill anyone, it only (seemingly) helps me get into a position faster (while leaving me vulnerable).

Also, a power weapon is on a timer. Of course it's not going to be used all the time. Give everyone Sniper spawns and guess what, it'll be used a lot more often. 

If sprinting is just for movement, why not just remove it and make maps smaller? If I can get from point A to point B in 5 second in Halo 3, and in Halo 5 (while sprinting, on a bigger map) also takes me 5 seconds, what's the advantage of faster movement? None. 

However, when not sprinting in Halo 5, it takes me much longer to go from A to B. So now it's actually a disadvantage. 

So sprint is most useful when combined with another mechanic? Why not just make the mechanic (thrust, slide) work the same way but without having to be sprinting first. 

And, sprinting I can only move forward. So while I may have "movement I don't normally have", it's also taking every other direction other than forward away from me. 

Whoosh and a hit. The power weapon exists to enhance your ability to kill your enemy. Added movement options exist in game to toy around with the playground you're given. Which isn't a constant, but a feature nonetheless. Regardless of if everyone has it, or one person. It enhances your movement across new areas and in general given your actions per minute goes up, meaning the in between from A to B can dramatically change, now. That is why it exists.

Granted, if you were to ask me why keep it, it wouldn't just boil down to movement. Sprint segments maps differently. And at its best, I do feel the slightly more spacious areas work in favor of breaking up engagements properly. And they also manage to neuter things like nades, as we see with Halo 4. Spacious areas enable you to play to an angle better, without having to auto succumb to a nade for example. Think 2007's Pit to 2013's. The rocket hall is significantly less of a nade haven and auto-death chamber in Halo 4 because of the spacious nature of the area and elongated corners, despite the fact you toss nades more precisely, with an insane natural arc in 4. Even if it's bigger, and nade throwing is buffed, the actual upside of a guaranteed scaling increase results in you not having to die to it over and over, or just in general by circumstance. Small, old-style maps and games have consistently lent themselves to nuke nades and checkmate scenarios. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand contrary to most, I don't think Halo's checkmate scenarios are good or earned enough to warrant them existing and being consistently rewarded for in the way small maps promote. I think the bigger maps work better.

To a point, I do like the escapability aspect of movement, too. It isn't guaranteed, but being nade nuked and jetting off while having a clear disadvantage in my hands (ha) is definitely something I like in a series notorious for just giving you deaths that have nothing to do with your skill. Or running into multiple people by circumstance and just moving off quicker than you arrived. Least you can do something about it here, and the mechanic's implementation enables it to a point. Of course, on movement itself, I think sprint momentum is definitely a keeper to me. The boost in speed and Halo's dumb physics enable one to jet around really nicely on surfaces that are angled properly. Stuff you wouldn't get without a dramatic fall in older games, or a grenade jump to go up. And you wouldn't get the same reaction from thrust or slide. Closest you'd get is evade but I think that is too far, and evade works because it's insane.

Isn't just about map traversal but escape and outplay potential. 

TLDR: Larger, more segmented maps as a result of the mechanic are nicer to me, I think you could and should realistically enforce some escape mechanics so you don't run the CoD route where you're fucked before a fight actually occurs, because circumstance. Remember, we can't know everything in game in real time. I think countering that potential swing of unpredictability is good, especially when map flow with sprint isn't fully random. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand physics. Physics are fun. Physics add to an experience to me.

Towards merging abilities, I'm not against it. I just wouldn't really know how to properly implement it, and I think it works so well because of sprint momentum you wouldn't get with a static speed. I'd be welcome to be proven wrong. 

1 minute ago, Sitri said:

No. You are not allowed to complain about how strong rockets and sniper are, suggesting to replace them with shit guns like the focus rifle, and then say something like that.

Let's say I meant that for real, and wasn't just using the forum's logic against itself. 

Even IF I meant it.

Even IF I argued it.

It still works with my idea and consistent bitching that power weapons are easy. It wouldn't matter if they were always here, or rarely here. They would be still be easy and I'd still rag on them. It's surprising you didn't catch this given, you know, the answer to that question is literally "they give you a fucking buff to everybody else", which is directly running with my original complaint with them. I'm only asking the why. 

17 minutes ago, Vyrst said:

welcome to women's pilpul 

Sorry someone hurt you. It'll be okay.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

3 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Whoosh and a hit. The power weapon exists to enhance your ability to kill your enemy. Added movement options exist in game to toy around with the playground you're given. Which isn't a constant, but a feature nonetheless. Regardless of if everyone has it, or one person. It enhances your movement across new areas and in general given your actions per minute goes up, meaning the in between from A to B can dramatically change, now. That is why it exists.

APM =/= meaningful changes. Sprint isn't taking you anywhere new that isn't accessible with the piss poor base movement speed of Halo 5, 4, or Reach for that matter. Sprint in this case is hurting strafing speeds which is objectively bad. If you want more escape mechanics or ability to outplay someone you shouldn't be actively hurting another mechanic to include something else. Not that high AA/magnetism of Halo is helping this any, but I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that we want lowered.

Clamber is just replacing higher jump heights, its not changing anything in any meaningful way either. Thrust is probably the only thing that is changing anything in a meaningful way, which is objectively good or bad depending on who you talk to.

Granted, if you were to ask me why keep it, it wouldn't just boil down to movement. Sprint segments maps differently. And at its best, I do feel the slightly more spacious areas work in favor of breaking up engagements properly. And they also manage to neuter things like nades, as we see with Halo 4. Spacious areas enable you to play to an angle better, without having to auto succumb to a nade for example. Think 2007's Pit to 2013's. The rocket hall is significantly less of a nade haven and auto-death chamber in Halo 4 because of the spacious nature of the area and elongated corners, despite the fact you toss nades more precisely, with an insane natural arc in 4. Even if it's bigger, and nade throwing is buffed, the actual upside of a guaranteed scaling increase results in you not having to die to it over and over, or just in general by circumstance. Small, old-style maps and games have consistently lent themselves to nuke nades and checkmate scenarios. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand contrary to most, I don't think Halo's checkmate scenarios are good or earned enough to warrant them existing and being consistently rewarded for in the way small maps promote. I think the bigger maps work better.

The Pit is designed to be like that. Sprint is alleviating a design choice that you don't like. You can recreate the map and not have long hall and green be as much of a death trap without sprint, but thats how the map is designed. There is a reason nobody blindly rushes rockets when they spawn unless they know its clear. Its a risk/reward situation otherwise. The first MLG video I looked up on Youtube Roy pre-nades green room, approaches the first 1/4 of the hallway and backs off because he sees the nades flying. Then after killing 2 people (the other probably pushed snipe and the other custom) he pushes forwards to rockets. That's it, that's how you play the map.

To a point, I do like the escapability aspect of movement, too. It isn't guaranteed, but being nade nuked and jetting off while having a clear disadvantage in my hands (ha) is definitely something I like in a series notorious for just giving you deaths that have nothing to do with your skill. Or running into multiple people by circumstance and just moving off quicker than you arrived. Least you can do something about it here, and the mechanic's implementation enables it to a point.

I know you don't care about the majority, at least when it comes to this forum, but TB doesn't like get out jail free cards. If you want escape mechanics that's fine, but it can slow down gameplay and people feel cheated that you got away for seemingly no reason. People pre-nade popular area's because they are active. Its a pre-nade, just like someone can pre-fire if they think you are coming around a corner or are going to challenge. People typically try to stay together or at least position themselves in a way that they can help each other. Its just the name of the game, I don't know what to tell you.

If something like thrust had to be included I'd either want it on a very long cooldown, available once per spawn, or a map pickup like in Reach. I guess I just don't see the justification of why you should be able to dodge a grenade. Your opponent chose to place that grenade at that place at that time, you can feel as unjustified as you want, but they chose to make that choice and you're just invalidating it.

Of course, on movement itself, I think sprint momentum is definitely a keeper to me. The boost in speed and Halo's dumb physics enable one to jet around really nicely on surfaces that are angled properly. Stuff you wouldn't get without a dramatic fall in older games, or a grenade jump to go up. And you wouldn't get the same reaction from thrust or slide. Closest you'd get is evade but I think that is too far, and evade works because it's insane.

This really means nothing other than you like how it feels. Which is fine, but its not adding anything meaningful while potential being detrimental to other aspects.

Isn't just about map traversal but escape and outplay potential. 

TLDR: Larger, more segmented maps as a result of the mechanic are nicer to me, I think you could and should realistically enforce some escape mechanics so you don't run the CoD route where you're fucked before a fight actually occurs, because circumstance. Remember, we can't know everything in game in real time. I think countering that potential swing of unpredictability is good, especially when map flow with sprint isn't fully random. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand physics. Physics are fun. Physics add to an experience to me.

I've said it before, but you prefer being able to control every situation or at the very least as much as possible. Its your opinion and your entitled to it.

Towards merging abilities, I'm not against it. I just wouldn't really know how to properly implement it, and I think it works so well because of sprint momentum you wouldn't get with a static speed. I'd be welcome to be proven wrong. 

Let's say I meant that for real, and wasn't just using the forum's logic against itself. 

Even IF I meant it.

Even IF I argued it.

It still works with my idea and consistent bitching that power weapons are easy. It wouldn't matter if they were always here, or rarely here. They would be still be easy and I'd still rag on them. It's surprising you didn't catch this given, you know, the answer to that question is literally "they give you a fucking buff to everybody else", which is directly running with my original complaint with them. I'm only asking the why.

I’m simplifying power weapons, camo, custom, OS into just pickups. Pickups are in use 100% of the time they are available, unless you mean for the entirety of the match is which case you’re removing the diversity and variety they bring to gameplay and the map movement they enforce.

I don't like the idea that objective forces map movement so that you don't need pickups. I think I mostly talked about this with Beast, so I don't know if this is really your argument or not.

Pickups are typically (at least in MLG) either fought over from a power position or place somewhere that would normally fall out of the most active areas of the map. A lot of the time its forcing map movement away from where you want to be and forcing you somewhere else. Custom on The Pit, OS on Beaver Creek, Camo on Penance (garbage map, but its a good spot for a pickup), Sniper on Construct KOTH. You have to make an active choice to leave power positions or the objective to get these items. Its forcing you to juggle the objective, slaying, timing, teammate positions, to an even greater extent in hopes that you can retake map control.

Lets look at Construct KOTH. Hill is on closed ramp, your team has map control. Sniper is spawning at bottom hill. Do you push it? Perfect time for the other team to make a push while you are down a person and rack up some sweet hill time. Sniper isn't very effective on the bottom of the map and your team will be on respawn. Is the other team baiting it? Now you lost power weapon and are down a person on map control. Its all risk vs reward and the judgements you make.

Lastly, I'm not actively scouring this thread and I don't feel like back tracking more than a page so if I misconstrued a point or misunderstood, sorry. 

• Fire (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Nokt said:

APM =/= meaningful changes. Sprint isn't taking you anywhere new that isn't accessible with the piss poor base movement speed of Halo 5, 4, or Reach for that matter. Sprint in this case is hurting strafing speeds which is objectively bad. If you want more escape mechanics or ability to outplay someone you shouldn't be actively hurting another mechanic to include something else. Not that high AA/magnetism of Halo is helping this any, but I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that we want lowered.

I dunno where you get the idea sprint hurts strafe. That's just a dev poorly implementing a strafe regardless of sprint. What about the older games lacking sprint that also have a strafe that sucks shit. I.E: all of them. It isn't a sprint thing. We even have the settings being tied to base movement in Halo 5, not your sprint settings. 

Second, I didn't say APM itself was meaningful. I said the trip from A to B changes as a result of APM, given everything around it changes, and that itself is its own reward. 

13 hours ago, Nokt said:

Clamber is just replacing higher jump heights, its not changing anything in any meaningful way either. Thrust is probably the only thing that is changing anything in a meaningful way, which is objectively good or bad depending on who you talk to.

Clamber to a point does this, but it more so adds specific regions you need to use it for. Because 343i took the idea of justifying the mechanic a bit too literally. It isn't actually replacing your jumps, given we have so many regions of any map that just rely on your jump skill, we just also have places like top gold that require it. And with thrust in tandem, it adds quite a bit in terms of thrust peeking. Like on Fathom's bridges. Where you can jump off, stabilize, break LoS, and jump back onto the bridge, catching yourself, to continue a fight. The idea of catching yourself on ledges is great in a game with also fucked physics. And it's what the mechanic should've been, and would add a lot of engagement potential.

13 hours ago, Nokt said:

The Pit is designed to be like that. Sprint is alleviating a design choice that you don't like. You can recreate the map and not have long hall and green be as much of a death trap without sprint, but thats how the map is designed. There is a reason nobody blindly rushes rockets when they spawn unless they know its clear. Its a risk/reward situation otherwise. The first MLG video I looked up on Youtube Roy pre-nades green room, approaches the first 1/4 of the hallway and backs off because he sees the nades flying. Then after killing 2 people (the other probably pushed snipe and the other custom) he pushes forwards to rockets. That's it, that's how you play the map.

I know you don't care about the majority, at least when it comes to this forum, but TB doesn't like get out jail free cards. If you want escape mechanics that's fine, but it can slow down gameplay and people feel cheated that you got away for seemingly no reason. People pre-nade popular area's because they are active. Its a pre-nade, just like someone can pre-fire if they think you are coming around a corner or are going to challenge. People typically try to stay together or at least position themselves in a way that they can help each other. Its just the name of the game, I don't know what to tell you.

If something like thrust had to be included I'd either want it on a very long cooldown, available once per spawn, or a map pickup like in Reach. I guess I just don't see the justification of why you should be able to dodge a grenade. Your opponent chose to place that grenade at that place at that time, you can feel as unjustified as you want, but they chose to make that choice and you're just invalidating it.

I think my big thing here is, why the fuck are we justifying someone's choice to pre-nade something, knowing full well they probably do not know for sure whether or not someone is there, but not justifying the recipient's choice or right to escape a scenario that, to them, is essentially a free death. Like, yeah, I want to invalidate that choice, because that choice isn't one we should be enforcing, nor one I should die to. Because again, nothing about it is me actually making a mistake in this scenario that I should be punished for, nor is it someone outskilling me. It's me being punished because someone habitually tosses nades around a corner without seeing me. Prediction isn't "hard", but it's definitely not something you can know to a tee. You only know it in broad strokes.

It isn't just about rocket hall off the rip in Pit. Or any power up. Pre-nading is a thing that just occurs. And many free deaths occur because you can't escape it in older games. And again. That isn't skill. That's being rewarded for circumstance. It could be "how the game/map plays". I'd argue that's shit map or game design. When you're rewarding people for shit they had no actual idea on in some, if not most cases.

People can feel cheated by an escape mechanic, but two big things need to be reiterated. One, game pace isn't just determined by how fast you kill or squad wipe someone or a team. A lot of game pace and flow has to do with map and gametype design, on top of what power weapons/ups are present. And two, I feel more cheated knowing I can literally bullshit people out of actual engagements, because I just pinged a nade off a wall and they walked into it by circumstance with no movement to aid them. Half the time I nade someone like that, I KNOW I habitually did it because it's a potentially viable area for someone to be in, but I also do not know for sure whether or not someone is there half the time. I may know a general vicinity, but I do not know enough to be accurate within a few feet if I see nothing and I'm walled off from seeing things. 

14 hours ago, Nokt said:

I've said it before, but you prefer being able to control every situation or at the very least as much as possible. Its your opinion and your entitled to it.

Now, this. Why is this just being passed off as an opinion, when I'm speaking for competitive shit. I don't give a shit about social. Why in a comp environment, would you not want control over a situation. As much as you could have. Why not eliminate random or potentially incalculable variables that remove skill. Runs counter to the idea of "competitive play".

14 hours ago, Nokt said:

I don't like the idea that objective forces map movement so that you don't need pickups. I think I mostly talked about this with Beast, so I don't know if this is really your argument or not.

Pickups are typically (at least in MLG) either fought over from a power position or place somewhere that would normally fall out of the most active areas of the map. A lot of the time its forcing map movement away from where you want to be and forcing you somewhere else. Custom on The Pit, OS on Beaver Creek, Camo on Penance (garbage map, but its a good spot for a pickup), Sniper on Construct KOTH. You have to make an active choice to leave power positions or the objective to get these items. Its forcing you to juggle the objective, slaying, timing, teammate positions, to an even greater extent in hopes that you can retake map control.

Lets look at Construct KOTH. Hill is on closed ramp, your team has map control. Sniper is spawning at bottom hill. Do you push it? Perfect time for the other team to make a push while you are down a person and rack up some sweet hill time. Sniper isn't very effective on the bottom of the map and your team will be on respawn. Is the other team baiting it? Now you lost power weapon and are down a person on map control. Its all risk vs reward and the judgements you make.

I'd outright begin this by saying, you can not like a certain reality, but it won't really change that reality.

What about maps/gametypes like Truth CTF in Halo 5. Has only a camo that is ideally burned because it's in an open space, with no spawns for two minutes, guaranteed. What do you think people do in those two minutes if it's burned? They literally fly for caps. Being uncontested by a power up. Because the objective and win is still pushing people forward to slay and play, rather than sit back. If anything, they fly more because the only thing stopping them is numbers. They don't have to sit back, waiting for a pickup, which slows the game down. Nor do they have to sit back, potentially baiting camo because it's THAT much of an advantage. They just have to fly, properly.

Even so, if objectives didn't force map movement, why is your argument how pickups have to stop you from playing just the objective and push you out of power positions because of their presence, lol. Well, because you're already playing the objective and trying to win by playing the map. And a pickup's presence isn't speeding that up, it's a speedbump in a game's pace.

Wasn't really my argument in the first place. That argument was how I'd bitch about their ease, regardless of how long they're present for, but I'll run with it.

• Like (+1) 1

I hope were not back to arguing about whether or not sprint is a good mechanic...

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I hope were not back to arguing about whether or not sprint is a good mechanic...

I wish my scroll bar had sprint.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 3
  • Toxic (+1) 1

I wish we didn't get only 1 new mainline halo game in the entire xbon lifespan. But that's our timeline.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ember Celica said:

I wish we didn't get only 1 new mainline halo game in the entire xbon lifespan. But that's our timeline.

I wish halo was more like cod. That could work out if M$ had several studios make halo. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I wish halo was more like cod. That could work out if M$ had several studios make halo. 

On one hand, you'd get games constantly. So shit ones would only be relevant for a year. On the other, if you get a god-tier game, it's only relevant for a year. 

Double edged sword.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

On one hand, you'd get games constantly. So shit ones would only be relevant for a year. On the other, if you get a god-tier game, it's only relevant for a year. 

Double edged sword.

Good thing every 343 Halo sucks dick so you dont have to worry about that one. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2
  • Thonking (+0) 1

17 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Good thing every 343 Halo sucks dick so you dont have to worry about that one. 

They've successfully managed to destroy every Halo.

They even rereleased the old Halo's and broke them just to really double down their incompetence.

Took 5 years to patch games that were made for them.

10/10 company.

• Like (+1) 9

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

we already have it to some degree but they're all different projects. Saber interactive worked on Campaign for HCE and H2A and made the Halo Online game for RUSSIA, Certain affinity did MP for H4 and H2A, Creative Assembly made Halo wars 2.

I don't see any reason they can't handle their own games as they've already proved they could.

Hell creative assembly is probably more faithful to Bungie's halo. If you've ever played Alien Isolation, Creative assembly was faithful as FUCK to the 1979 movie. Even HW2 was pretty damn impressive art style wise.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, znot said:

Even HW2 was pretty damn impressive art style wise.

Uh, what. It's literally Halo 5's art style double downed with the Forerunner stuff you're around for a majority of the game, the UNSC stuff is nothing traditional barring CG cutscenes, and the Covenant stuff is a dramatic detour from what we're used to with either trilogy. Good art style? Sure. Faithful? Definitely not. Not that that's an issue to me, but I dunno why we're saying this is impressive but newer 343i games suck for it, lol.

Modern halo games look like garbage to me. I'm hoping 343 goes back with infinite because I cannot stand the environment, human, forerunner or covenant redesigns. Like seriously, 99% of armor sets look like malignant tumors. The only aesthetically pleasing armor set is chiefs armor and even then I prefer the original mk5 anyway.

14 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Modern halo games look like garbage to me. I'm hoping 343 goes back with infinite because I cannot stand the environment, human, forerunner or covenant redesigns. Like seriously, 99% of armor sets look like malignant tumors. The only aesthetically pleasing armor set is chiefs armor and even then I prefer the original mk5 anyway.

I run a weird gamut. I think Bungie had a good concept with their armor designs, but I think 343i ironically made them better in their games due to specific artistic choices. Like the shift from 3's Mark VI armor to Halo 5's. Or Noble's armor from Reach to 5. Big part being how armor is actually laid onto the base player model. It actually has thickness to it, since the armor is truly different from the techsuit player model. Over being humanoid-metal-shaded armor attached to the body. Definitely not what I'd consider a "massive" thing to most people. But it definitely adds to an overall style to me. Since it makes armor feel like armor in a way texture work and lighting won't.

Of course, sure, 99% of the armor can look tumor-y when 75 or so individual sets exist in just one game, lol. Compared to Bungie's sub-30 across multiple games. Just probability taking its toll. But every armor in that 1% looks sexy for various reasons.

That, and, you know, Bungie had a weird fascination with either super plastic armor, which, while bright, didn't look like armor, like 3's. Or super grimy armor, which, while armory, didn't have any color to it. While 343i at its worst at least got both down. Best way I can describe it is, white in Reach is "bright" because the purple I use is grimed up to the point where a slightly gray white looks lighter than it is. Almost an illusion. Whereas my Halo 4 Spartan's white is bright because it's bright as a shade, while the purple available is also so bold and bright, without grime, to offer a stark contrast.

I don't know if I'd care if 343i went back, because I think they'd do it better anyway. But I hope they keep some of the newer armor they brought in. Freebooter is my jam. I'd be lost without it.

16 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I run a weird gamut. I think Bungie had a good concept with their armor designs, but I think 343i ironically made them better in their games due to specific artistic choices. Like the shift from 3's Mark VI armor to Halo 5's. Or Noble's armor from Reach to 5. Big part being how armor is actually laid onto the base player model. It actually has thickness to it, since the armor is truly different from the techsuit player model. Over being humanoid-metal-shaded armor attached to the body. Definitely not what I'd consider a "massive" thing to most people. But it definitely adds to an overall style to me. Since it makes armor feel like armor in a way texture work and lighting won't.

Of course, sure, 99% of the armor can look tumor-y when 75 or so individual sets exist in just one game, lol. Compared to Bungie's sub-30 across multiple games. Just probability taking its toll. But every armor in that 1% looks sexy for various reasons.

That, and, you know, Bungie had a weird fascination with either super plastic armor, which, while bright, didn't look like armor, like 3's. Or super grimy armor, which, while armory, didn't have any color to it. While 343i at its worst at least got both down. Best way I can describe it is, white in Reach is "bright" because the purple I use is grimed up to the point where a slightly gray white looks lighter than it is. Almost an illusion. Whereas my Halo 4 Spartan's white is bright because it's bright as a shade, while the purple available is also so bold and bright, without grime, to offer a stark contrast.

I don't know if I'd care if 343i went back, because I think they'd do it better anyway. But I hope they keep some of the newer armor they brought in. Freebooter is my jam. I'd be lost without it.

Halo 4 and 5s armor definitely looks more fake but not because of the colors. Many of them look like action figure body parts that have zero rhyme or reason to them and have a matte type of lighting/finish on them. They seem to have no "texture" to them and look extremely clean and perfect all the time. The thickness if anything makes it look worse imo because it looks overly bulbous. I don't have a problem with slimmer plated armor, and generally I assume in 500 years, material has advanced to the point were armor of that strength doesn't need to be super thick. 

Personally I'd like a setting to control reflection, grime etc. Greater color control is a must as well.

5 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Halo 4 and 5s armor definitely looks more fake but not because of the colors. Many of them look like action figure body parts that have zero rhyme or reason to them and have a matte type of lighting/finish on them. They seem to have no "texture" to them and look extremely clean and perfect all the time. The thickness if anything makes it look worse imo because it looks overly bulbous. I don't have a problem with slimmer plated armor, and generally I assume in 500 years, material has advanced to the point were armor of that strength doesn't need to be super thick. 

Personally I'd like a setting to control reflection, grime etc. Greater color control is a must as well.

The matte is literally great since it pushes out the actual extra detailing like scratches and scuffs in paint. Like below.

wDAmPyT.jpg

The color's not my thing, but the actual paint detail and "grime" in the creases of the armor, where metal meets each other, is easily captured because it's so matte and non-reflective, aiding in it looking battered, even if it's not shiny. It's a weird thing with say, Halo 3's shine. It's intense to the point of actually overshadowing (HAHAA) detail. Because of a lack of complex shadows and definition, and the fact a direct light source will just blindingly wash out detail because of bloom. Like below, on the shoulder. You can see there IS texture to the shoulder, lower down, that is just all gone once light hits it. Which in turn, simplifies the broad side of a shape, which in turn, makes it look off. And in my view, plastic. And again, it's probably a product of its time. It does the same to a light-purple wrist and bicep down further. Turns it pure white.

vQHhcQT.png

LYof6pX.png

H2A weirdly nailed it. With a pretty shiny armor that wasn't so shiny the light overpowered detail, while being matte enough, with color distinction, so that light bloom looks real. You can see the shoulder and chest. The parts angled to the sun aren't pure white and lacking in detail, the detail shows up due to the increase in lighting, being darker than the light being shined on it. The only thing blooming in pure white is white, as it should. Whereas Halo 3's colors overall will bloom harshly under direct light. But colors like green, which are darker, will absorb light as they should.

KUKl8Tc.png

hAkm0rA.png

Should also be noted H2A's pics are great examples of setting the armor on the player model. With good, hard angles and proper thickness, having the wrist of VI stick out by a solid few inches. Or the shoulders of the armor sitting on the Spartan, with a solid few inches of defined, clear armor resting there. It looks properly tankish. Obviously just my perspective, but I love it when my armor has weight to it, if it's meant to look like it. I also get the inverse, hence my love of Freebooter, which is super fucking slim and form fitting.

• Like (+1) 1

Talking about art? Finally something new. 

H2A art style is probably my favorite overall. Minus the sun. 

H2A adding the weapon outlines for weapons on the ground like H5 would make the art extra nice. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

The matte is literally great since it pushes out the actual extra detailing like scratches and scuffs in paint. Like below.

wDAmPyT.jpg

The color's not my thing, but the actual paint detail and "grime" in the creases of the armor, where metal meets each other, is easily captured because it's so matte and non-reflective, aiding in it looking battered, even if it's not shiny. It's a weird thing with say, Halo 3's shine. It's intense to the point of actually overshadowing (HAHAA) detail. Because of a lack of complex shadows and definition, and the fact a direct light source will just blindingly wash out detail because of bloom. Like below, on the shoulder. You can see there IS texture to the shoulder, lower down, that is just all gone once light hits it. Which in turn, simplifies the broad side of a shape, which in turn, makes it look off. And in my view, plastic. And again, it's probably a product of its time. It does the same to a light-purple wrist and bicep down further. Turns it pure white.

vQHhcQT.png

LYof6pX.png

H2A weirdly nailed it. With a pretty shiny armor that wasn't so shiny the light overpowered detail, while being matte enough, with color distinction, so that light bloom looks real. You can see the shoulder and chest. The parts angled to the sun aren't pure white and lacking in detail, the detail shows up due to the increase in lighting, being darker than the light being shined on it. The only thing blooming in pure white is white, as it should. Whereas Halo 3's colors overall will bloom harshly under direct light. But colors like green, which are darker, will absorb light as they should.

KUKl8Tc.png

hAkm0rA.png

Should also be noted H2A's pics are great examples of setting the armor on the player model. With good, hard angles and proper thickness, having the wrist of VI stick out by a solid few inches. Or the shoulders of the armor sitting on the Spartan, with a solid few inches of defined, clear armor resting there. It looks properly tankish. Obviously just my perspective, but I love it when my armor has weight to it, if it's meant to look like it. I also get the inverse, hence my love of Freebooter, which is super fucking slim and form fitting.

If only those newer armors didn't have absolutely ******** designs that make them look like some weird cross between bionicles and power rangers. Maybe I'd agree with you more if they just weren't shaped so idiotically.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

If only those newer armors didn't have absolutely ******** designs that make them look like some weird cross between bionicles and power rangers. Maybe I'd agree with you more if they just weren't shaped so idiotically.

You take that back, you little shitterooski.

• Thonking (+0) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Which color crayon tastes the best in your opinion?

12 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Which color crayon tastes the best in your opinion?

Your mom

18 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

You take that back, you little shitterooski.

Listen, the bionicles that came out when I was a kid were cool. Like mask of light era bonkles. It's just not my idea of halo. It is my idea of bionicles though.

• Like (+1) 1