CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Essays, paragraphs upon paragraphs about her feelings but can’t answer straight forward questions.  

You’re avoiding my question, I’m waiting for you to answer, bar this I don’t really intend to be derailed. Answer mine and I’ll continue with yours when we’re done.

Just now, TheIcePrincess said:

You’re avoiding my question, I’m waiting for you to answer, bar this I don’t really intend to be derailed. Answer mine and I’ll continue with yours when we’re done.

What’s your question?

• Simms (+1) 1

Me and witch king made a big ass comeback on basu and sitri 

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

What’s your question?

Refer to above/past page posts. Not reiterating myself twice because you won’t pay attention, lol. I read your shit, read mine.

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Elongates maps.

Of course, before one goes off on a tangent, let’s get to the OG post. The utility not mattering with sprint. My question to you there is, who the fuck is sprinting around the majority of the time.

What's the benefit in elongating maps if your counterpoint is that people aren't even sprinting for the majority of the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JordanB said:

What's the benefit in elongating maps if your counterpoint is that people aren't even sprinting for the majority of the game.

To accommodate maps for an ability you add to the game. Adding said ability doesn’t mean it’ll be used consistently, or for a majority of the game, just that it’ll at the least fit a specific niche it was designed around to justify its inclusion. As we see with people who play the game at a high level who don’t sprint a lot in a game designed for an originally faster sprint speed. But will need it for niche circumstances in game.

• Downvote (-1) 3
  • WutFace (+0) 1

But why do we need sprint when it has negative effects on the game? H5 movement is cheeks. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

To accommodate maps for an ability you add to the game. Adding said ability doesn’t mean it’ll be used consistently, or for a majority of the game, just that it’ll at the least fit a specific niche it was designed around to justify its inclusion. As we see with people who play the game at a high level who don’t sprint a lot in a game designed for an originally faster sprint speed. But will need it for niche circumstances in game.

If I'm not expected to use something for the majority of the game, why are we changing our maps for it?

If we had jetpacks and 343 developed maps with higher jumps to accommodate, yet 343 also knew that players would not use the jetpack for the majority of the game because they wouldn't be able to shoot during the animation, then what's the benefit in accommodating the map for the jetpack? Just develop your maps without it in mind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JordanB said:

If I'm not expected to use something for the majority of the game, why are we changing our maps for it?

If we had jetpacks and 343 developed maps with higher jumps to accommodate, yet 343 also knew that players would not use the jetpack for the majority of the game because they wouldn't be able to shoot during the animation, then what's the benefit in accommodating the map for the jetpack? Just develop your maps without it in mind.

Because if it so much as exists you’re gonna have to balance shit around it? It’s why snipers suck on open maps and rockets on the inverse. Mechanics you don’t use consistently but aren’t properly balanced for the map they’re on when they ARE in use.You may not always use sprint, but it would definitely need to be balanced to exist so it doesn’t become a power weapon for this figurative comparison. If they wanted to develop maps without it in mind, just don’t have sprint. It can’t really be there without balance, like elongation,  without raising issues.

• Downvote (-1) 1

While you are all conversing, I wanted to make these statements for everyone to consider:

Counter Strike: Global Offensive, the top shooter in the industry, does not have a lot of shooting involved in one hour of its competitive mode.

Next statement:

Every other shooter, save for shooters focused on one-life modes and Battle Royale, all have much more shooting involved in one hour of their respective competitive modes.

Converse. With the least amount of malice possible, if you please.

Because if it so much as exists you’re gonna have to balance shit around it? It’s why snipers suck on open maps and rockets on the inverse. Mechanics you don’t use consistently but aren’t properly balanced for the map they’re on when they ARE in use.You may not always use sprint, but it would definitely need to be balanced to exist so it doesn’t become a power weapon for this figurative comparison. If they wanted to develop maps without it in mind, just don’t have sprint. It can’t really be there without balance, like elongation,  without raising issues.

Snipers kill enemies. From anywhere in sight. All sprinting does is get you killed, and occasionally you can sneak up on the enemy (don't you hate that anyway?). 

Let's make it simpler. Every time you jumped you went through an animation that you couldn't shoot during. You build your game and maps around this. 

Do you A keep it in the game, knowing most players won't even jump making it useless, or B remove jumping. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

Just now, JordanB said:

Snipers kill enemies. From anywhere in sight. All sprinting does is get you killed, and occasionally you can sneak up on the enemy (don't you hate that anyway?). 

Let's make it simpler. Every time you jumped you went through an animation that you couldn't shoot during. You build your game and maps around this. 

Do you A keep it in the game, knowing most players won't even jump making it useless, or B remove jumping. 

My point is on balance through implementation and map design. You don't just have sprint and nothing to accommodate it. If you don't want to balance maps around it, don't have sprint, if you have sprint, you'll need to account for it in relation to your base speed. Even if it isn't a constant factor, it's still a factor, defined by movement, an important aspect. 

I'm not saying "do it" or "don't do it". I'm saying you can't exactly do both, and that for something like this to exist, you need to change how things work. To TLDR your original query, we're changing the maps because it's a gameplay feature that is new and subject to its own idiosyncrasies. And if we didn't have those changes, we'd run into arguable problems. Or, at least, different problems.

Can anyone even parse this?  

What points are you trying to make?

“I believe this.  Here’s why.”  Try doing that.  

39 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

My point is on balance through implementation and map design. You don't just have sprint and nothing to accommodate it. If you don't want to balance maps around it, don't have sprint, if you have sprint, you'll need to account for it in relation to your base speed. Even if it isn't a constant factor, it's still a factor, defined by movement, an important aspect. 

I'm not saying "do it" or "don't do it". I'm saying you can't exactly do both, and that for something like this to exist, you need to change how things work. To TLDR your original query, we're changing the maps because it's a gameplay feature that is new and subject to its own idiosyncrasies. And if we didn't have those changes, we'd run into arguable problems. Or, at least, different problems.

Okay, so if sprint exists, accommodate for it. 

You're not focusing on the point: Why do we need sprint. Why even bother having sprint if it's not going to be used most of the time. 

Why create AdVaNcEd MoVeMeNt just for it to hinder my ability to kill my opponents AND not even be useful for the majority of the game. Like, what's the point. 

You're just adding a feature to have it, and to look cool to sell your game. But it doesn't make it good to have. 

1 minute ago, JordanB said:

Okay, so if sprint exists, accommodate for it. 

You're not focusing on the point: Why do we need sprint. Why even bother having sprint if it's not going to be used most of the time. 

Why create AdVaNcEd MoVeMeNt just for it to hinder my ability to kill my opponents AND not even be useful for the majority of the game. Like, what's the point. 

You're just adding a feature to have it, and to look cool to sell your game. But it doesn't make it good to have. 

Why bother having power weapons if they're not gonna be used most of the time. Because something's potential usefulness doesn't exactly stop at how much you use it, and thinks can be balanced for or used differently.

Note, I didn't say advanced movement as a whole wasn't useful game-wide, or insinuate it. I'm only saying people aren't just sprinting a lot of the time because it's mostly a movement chaining tool to traverse things, not offensive. And you're better off fighting most of, if not all the time. I do however, think sprint's momentum increase aids in using other mechanics, like thrust, slide, etc. It may not be used constantly, every moment of the game, but it plays a role in advancing a player's movement with the tools you have. That's the point. Momentum. Movement you don't normally have. Inoffensive directly, but great in chaining things together.

If the movement was really "advanced" I would be able to shoot while moving at all times. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

If the movement was really "advanced" I would be able to shoot while moving at all times. 

Like those garbage perks in cod no one uses.

I think "modern movement" is a better way of putting it. There's nothing advanced about Sprint and Spartan Abilities. Convoluted, maybe, but certainly not advanced.

It's the same type of thing when people say "classic" Halo. Traditional Halo would make more sense.

• Like (+1) 4

55 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Why bother having power weapons if they're not gonna be used most of the time. Because something's potential usefulness doesn't exactly stop at how much you use it, and thinks can be balanced for or used differently.

No, a power weapon is limited to one user at a time. A power weapon, when used correctly, enhances your ability to kill the enemy. 

Everyone has sprint at all times, so that's a bad comparison. And sprint doesn't help me kill anyone, it only (seemingly) helps me get into a position faster (while leaving me vulnerable).

Also, a power weapon is on a timer. Of course it's not going to be used all the time. Give everyone Sniper spawns and guess what, it'll be used a lot more often. 

57 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I'm only saying people aren't just sprinting a lot of the time because it's mostly a movement chaining tool to traverse things, not offensive. And you're better off fighting most of, if not all the time.

If sprinting is just for movement, why not just remove it and make maps smaller? If I can get from point A to point B in 5 second in Halo 3, and in Halo 5 (while sprinting, on a bigger map) also takes me 5 seconds, what's the advantage of faster movement? None. 

However, when not sprinting in Halo 5, it takes me much longer to go from A to B. So now it's actually a disadvantage. 

I do however, think sprint's momentum increase aids in using other mechanics, like thrust, slide, etc. It may not be used constantly, every moment of the game, but it plays a role in advancing a player's movement with the tools you have. That's the point. Momentum. Movement you don't normally have. Inoffensive directly, but great in chaining things together.

So sprint is most useful when combined with another mechanic? Why not just make the mechanic (thrust, slide) work the same way but without having to be sprinting first. 

And, sprinting I can only move forward. So while I may have "movement I don't normally have", it's also taking every other direction other than forward away from me. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Titanfall still has the best "modern/advanced movement" and every game that's tried copying has gotten worse. (ie CoD, Halo)

• Like (+1) 1

Why bother having power weapons if they're not gonna be used most of the time.

No. You are not allowed to complain about how strong rockets and sniper are, suggesting to replace them with shit guns like the focus rifle, and then say something like that.

• Like (+1) 2