CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I don’t think the problem is reach lemon it’s the AA advantage. A simple nerf could easily make everything better

23 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I don’t think the problem is reach lemon it’s the AA advantage. A simple nerf could easily make everything better

Yes, but think if his first utility weapon wasn't a 5SK with bloom. He could kill people before they had a chance to turn around and dome him with a glued-on reticule.

• Like (+1) 2

You know I actually sort of understand where the hate for the DMR is coming from. Bloomy DMR battles are some of the most frustrating things in Halo pretty much ever. The gun also looks ugly and has way too much aim assist and RRR. If thumbless timmy can 5sk me without even attempting to hit the head using a "skill-based precision weapon" there is a problem. Bungie probably thought that pacing shots was so incredibly skillful that the gun needs a built-in aimbot to still be worth using. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you remember, they made a change to how in game chat worked randomly(or it broke) and you could only talk during games. Aka not in the lobby or post match

58 minutes ago, Arlong said:

It's both. The core gun-play of Reach is a joke even in comparison to other fairly easy games in the series. They just released a patch for PC that disabled the absurd Reach flinch mechanic that literally moves your reticle towards the enemy when you get shot, which probably led to a lot of MKB players over-correcting more. Still enabled for controller gods, though.

Of course, as expected, it seems that most long time console veterans™ would prefer to pretend that PC players are just whining about losing instead of acknowledging that shooting in Halo (outside of the maybe the sniper) has never really been that hard and that low skill ceiling (and super long TTK) favors aim assist players. There's a reason Summit was basically the only person streaming the game after launch day who wasn't a long time member of the Halo Controller Community. He clearly wanted to learn the game, but it's just depressing knowing that you will never have a shot as consistent as the veteran players unless you switch to the heavily assisted input device they are all using.

Can't wait for another year of Halo tournaments with all of the same players playing with controllers on PCs. The delicate egos of console esports community can remain intact while everyone else continues to not give a fuck about Halo tournaments.

• Like (+1) 7

58 minutes ago, arglactable said:

It's both. The core gun-play of Reach is a joke even in comparison to other fairly easy games in the series. They just released a patch for PC that disabled the absurd Reach flinch mechanic that literally moves your reticle towards the enemy when you get shot, which probably led to a lot of MKB players over-correcting more. Still enabled for controller gods, though.

Of course, as expected, it seems that most long time console veterans™ would prefer to pretend that PC players are just whining about losing instead of acknowledging that shooting in Halo (outside of the maybe the sniper) has never really been that hard and that low skill ceiling (and super long TTK) favors aim assist players. There's a reason Summit was basically the only person streaming the game after launch day who wasn't a long time member of the Halo Controller Community. He clearly wanted to learn the game, but it's just depressing knowing that you will never have a shot as consistent as the veteran players unless you switch to the heavily assisted input device they are all using.

Can't wait for another year of Halo tournaments with all of the same players playing with controllers on PCs. The delicate egos of console esports community can remain intact while everyone else continues to not give a fuck about Halo tournaments.

Its probably also pretty frustrating if you're summit and straight up get carried to a rank that you can't compete with anyone at regardless of input device because they're all straight up smarter and better than you at more or less everything outside of shooting. I'm sure that's a real tilter too. I'm all for fixing mkb and having input based MM as an option but its just weird to see people continue to point to summit when a lot of the problems hes having would continue even if he had aim assist with his mouse. His actual shot if you go watch is for the most part fine and probably better than most of the people hes playing its just everything else lol

As for the flinch mechanic that just shouldn't exist for any input type. That mechanic is just shit

• Like (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

51 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

Its probably also pretty frustrating if you're summit and straight up get carried to a rank that you can't compete with anyone at regardless of input device because they're all straight up smarter and better than you at more or less everything outside of shooting. I'm sure that's a real tilter too. I'm all for fixing mkb and having input based MM as an option but its just weird to see people continue to point to summit when a lot of the problems hes having would continue even if he had aim assist with his mouse. His actual shot if you go watch is for the most part fine and probably better than most of the people hes playing its just everything else lol

As for the flinch mechanic that just shouldn't exist for any input type. That mechanic is just shit

This is basically a cliche at this point. I am aware that Summit lacks experience in the game and that is the main reason he is under-performing in lobbies with players who have thousands of hours. SUMMIT is aware he lacks experience in the game. He's not a moron. His entire point is that he doesn't feel motivated to keep at it when he knows he can never be as consistent in DMR gun fights as comparably experienced controller players. He is not wrong. I brought up "Reverse flinch" to illustrate the point that aiming/shooting in Reach, Hardcore or not, is a joke. And yet PC players with thousands of hours in other FPS games can't possibly have any clue what they're talking about when they point that out? It's all just console halo veteran big brains?

Do PC players in general probably exaggerate the degree to which the aim assist advantage impacts their game? Yes. Are they wrong when they complain about the garbage shooting mechanics and controller dominance? No.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Basu said:

You know I actually sort of understand where the hate for the DMR is coming from. Bloomy DMR battles are some of the most frustrating things in Halo pretty much ever. The gun also looks ugly and has way too much aim assist and RRR. If thumbless timmy can 5sk me without even attempting to hit the head using a "skill-based precision weapon" there is a problem. Bungie probably thought that pacing shots was so incredibly skillful that the gun needs a built-in aimbot to still be worth using. 

Bungie fucking hated skillgap and actively sought to dumb the game down as much as possible. CE and 2 were mistakes. 3's random br spread and beatdown tradefest were perfected in reach: armor abilities that created trades, zero strafe speed, an inaccurate precision weapon, a spammable one, and massive grenade radius. 

• Like (+1) 1

Input lag needs to be fixed. Deleting controllers and making the avg ttk 3seconds is not the solution. 

3 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

Irrelevant, as he stated many times before his issue isn't with his lack of game knowledge, it's with that fact that in a straight up 1v1 at any area on the map he will lose to controller players a majority of the time because of the generous amount of aim assist that Reach has. I'm not sure why all of a sudden people are pretending like Reach doesn't have excessive aim assist when it has literally always been that way, and it probably also doesn't help that the aim assist on DMR was made with bloom in mind and never intended to be balanced for no bloom.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Mow said:

Irrelevant, as he stated many times before his issue isn't with his lack of game knowledge,

summit? that's not his issue? cmon im sure its 50% why....

idk I'm looking at it like CSGO, of course im not going to amazing after a week. maybe even a month.

Remember that whole easy to learn but hard to master that Halo is? not still a thing?

• Downvote (-1) 1

7 minutes ago, znot said:

summit? that's not his issue? cmon im sure its 50% why....

Let me clarify, yes he lacks game knowledge and he admitted this but that wasn't the reason he hated the game, he hated the game because he knew no matter how good he got he was always going to be at a significant disadvantage when it came to simple 1v1 gun battles, that's why mentioning the tired old cliches "He's playing against pros!" and "He lacks game knowledge!" are completely irrelevant when the real issue is that he can't even win basic 1v1s against controller users. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

On 12/18/2019 at 3:50 PM, znot said:

"all gametypes had equal weighting"

"oh were also gonna adjust the weighting and raise and lower certain maps... just cause... ya know. No reason."

So I couldn’t help but notice that the map rotation is still fucked and I thought back to this post. 

343 seriously has a knack for fucking something up, and then acting like it was somehow the community’s whining which was the only reason they begrudgingly end up changing it. This didn’t even make me that mad when I first read their notes, but after noticing the map rotation hasn’t changed at all after their “update” I’m a little heated. 

Like, how dare they imply the map rotation was somehow evenly split and working perfectly fine and they just HAD to change it because the community wasn’t satisfied. How the hell is this even something that gets messed up? The only maps I ever get are Tempest, and three other maps that start with “Break”. Even with a 4 map rotation it still feels like 2 because THREE OF THEM HAVE THE SAME FUCKING NAME.

• Upvote (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

So I couldn’t help but notice that the map rotation is still fucked and I thought back to this post. 

343 seriously has a knack for fucking something up, and then acting like it was somehow the community’s whining which was the only reason they begrudgingly end up changing it. This didn’t even make me that mad when I first read their notes, but after noticing the map rotation hasn’t changed at all after their “update” I’m a little heated. 

Like, how dare they imply the map rotation was somehow evenly split and working perfectly fine and they just HAD to change it because the community wasn’t satisfied. How the hell is this even something that gets messed up? The only maps I ever get are Tempest, and three other maps that start with “Break”. Even with a 4 map rotation it still feels like 2 because THREE OF THEM HAVE THE SAME FUCKING NAME.

lol I made a random number generator in a java course that was better than 343s "map generator" lmao

To their credit though I think they're taking into account previous games and that will add weight to certain maps to prevent repeats, but it's only going to work so long. It was actually working fine on xbox MCC to a degree. Map repeats weren't horrible but not having the option to skip certain maps is still stupid.

just fucking suck it up 343 and add back veto, I know you didn't create veto so you can't take all the credit /s but you can still put your little 343 spin on it by calling it something stupid like "Infinity VETO" just like "playlist filter" you called 'the composer' 

lets be real veto won't come back until they can find some lore name to give it. 

edit: they'll call it "glassing"  hit X to GLASS THE MAP GUYS. Which gives them a lore reason to give us a new map cause the previous map was GLASSED by the covenant /s

______________________________________________________________________________________

Should Reach have a walk button? Controllers have the option of running at any speed we want depending on how far we hold the analog stick forward, meaning we can walk 100% speed or 50% or even 5% if we want.

Keyboard is either 100% or off. should we give them  a walk button? but then how do you do it? Do you give them  a set speed or let them set their speed via the mouse wheel scroll? higher scrolls mean 100% speed, scrolling down lowers it. Star citizen does something similar

2 hours ago, znot said:

__________________________________________________________________________________

Should Reach have a walk button? Controllers have the option of running at any speed we want depending on how far we hold the analog stick forward, meaning we can walk 100% speed or 50% or even 5% if we want.

Keyboard is either 100% or off. should we give them  a walk button? but then how do you do it? Do you give them  a set speed or let them set their speed via the mouse wheel scroll? higher scrolls mean 100% speed, scrolling down lowers it. Star citizen does something similar

Make it like CSGO where holding shift gives you a set walking speed. Movement speed is much more important in CS than Halo, so if it works there it should be no problem for Halo. It’s rare that you’d actually want to walk in Halo anyway, and crouching is also an option.

5 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

Make it like CSGO where holding shift gives you a set walking speed. Movement speed is much more important in CS than Halo, so if it works there it should be no problem for Halo. It’s rare that you’d actually want to walk in Halo anyway, and crouching is also an option.

perhaps, I can't think of any exact jumps but theres tons of situations I also can't think of where having the variable speed does help... Actually no, dropping s2 to s1 on guardian (I mean Halo as a whole not just Reach having a walk button), I like to slowly slide myself over the edge then land s1. That's gonna be hard on keybaord because ill just go full speed off to my left rather than slowly gradually moving downwards and dropping into the s1 ledge.

2 hours ago, NavG123 said:

I mean I instantly played Penance as much as Zealot as as soon as they told us that they changed the weighting. It didn't actually fix anything you can still just get unlucky and play the same shit maps over and over

2 minutes ago, znot said:

perhaps, I can't think of any exact jumps but theres tons of situations I also can't think of where having the variable speed does help... Actually no, dropping s2 to s1 on guardian (I mean Halo as a whole not just Reach having a walk button), I like to slowly slide myself over the edge then land s1. That's gonna be hard on keybaord because ill just go full speed off the left to my left rather than slowly gradually moving downwards and dropping into the s1 ledge.

This made me wonder if a mouse + joystick setup is feasible. Mouse in right hand, joystick in the left with any necessary buttons in some appropriately ergonomic arrangement.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You know what really pisses me off? Plenty of fans have been criticizing Halo for having tons of aim assist for years. I mean, CE's aim assist is warranted because even with it, it's still incredibly difficult to consistently 3 shot people. But Halo 2, H2A, Halo 4, and Reach are all games with hitscan + strong aim assist. I've criticized the shit out of this kind of design for over a decade. But now keyboard + mouse players who play like trash whine like a bunch of fucking toddlers and 343 decides to "look into it".

Whatever man.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

how are they whining like toddlers if they are complaining about the exact same thing you are? i said before aim assist was going to be a huge problem when people can plug in controllers and gain an aim advantage with supreme amount of auto aim. but people didnt agree i think my post even got deleted because i cant find it. pc users generaly want to play a game where the main input method is a mosue and keyboard not a controller. and you even said its been a problem and complained but now pc players are toddlers? 

if you make a pc game dont make it so you can plug in a controller and have a large amount of aim assist. but i agree i always like in halo 1 gameplay in how a player with zero shields can come back and 3 shot a player. it feels like in later halos you cant really do that for the most part. i feel like its a bad design choice because almost every 1v1 ends with one player with no health. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's simple. I don't believe these dudes for a second. PC players knew exactly what was gonna happen. Halo has been a console first shooter since 2001. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that perhaps aim assist was gonna be an issue.

But let's be clear here. Aim assist by itself isn't the biggest offender. It's when you mix the strong aim assist with hitscan weapons that it becomes a joke.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

21 hours ago, -DeucEy- said:

The Xbox party chat and the the ability to have an "infinite" friends list kind of ruined the charm of Xbox Live matchamaking. Primarily due to the fact that with the friends list previously, both people had to accept the invite. Now, while the thought of having an unlimited amount of friends doesn't sound bad at all, I honestly think the exclusivity played a part in how often people played together. Nowadays, it feels like one person adds the other... The other doesn't add them back for a couple of days because sometimes the notification doesn't pop up/you don't see it if you're offline. Then, you never play together. Then there's the other side of things where a lot of people use their accounts almost like a social media account these days where they only "follow back" certain people so they have like 20 friends and 500 followers or whatever. 

The party chat however is probably the biggest culprit in the downfall of social interaction on Xbox specifically. A lot of people like to argue in favor of party chat so that they "don't have to hear kids screaming in the mic" but let's be honest, I've played tens of thousands of games of just Halo (not to mention Gears, Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, etc) and it's not nearly as bad of a problem as people make it sounds -- and on top of that, the interactions you have with these people were funny a lot of the times lol. On top of that, the mute feature has pretty much existed since the beginning of time. It's impossible to compare the social interaction there is these days because it's virtually non-existent in today's game. Party chat is great in the fact that you can hop in a group chat with your same circle of friends, regardless of what game you're playing.. But it did unfortunately ruin the social side of matchmaking in pretty much every MP game.

Pretty easy to fix, just force players to leave party or enter game chat when connected to an online lobby. Like how you couldn't search certain playlists in Modern Warfare 2 without doing one of those things. Low chance it is even considered a problem at 343 though, let alone gets addressed, like a handful of other pretty important issues that are still being ignored apparently.

4 minutes ago, flawlesscowboy said:

Pretty easy to fix, just force players to leave party or enter game chat when connected to an online lobby. Like how you couldn't search certain playlists in Modern Warfare 2 without doing one of those things. Low chance it is even considered a problem at 343 though, let alone gets addressed, like a handful of other pretty important issues that are still being ignored apparently.

Gonna be a big, fat no on that one. Easy way to tank a list's population. There's a reason so many people are in parties. That's where they want to be. If there was this massive demand for people to be in game chat then more people would be there. But they aren't. And forcing it is just gonna fuck people off to somewhere else. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Salt (-1) 1

9 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Gonna be a big, fat no on that one. Easy way to tank a list's population. There's a reason so many people are in parties. That's where they want to be. If there was this massive demand for people to be in game chat then more people would be there. But they aren't. And forcing it is just gonna fuck people off to somewhere else. 

Search and destroy rivalled TDM for popularity on MW2 by my memory and you were required to be in game chat. It wasn't  a playlist killer then, that's just how it was. People liked SND so they played it regardless. Although things have changed since that time on the 360, I don't see why it would be high on anyone's list of reasons fo not wanting to play one thing over another especially if it's universal in the game. People dont use game chat because it's an afterthought in the game as opposed to a core part of multiplayer like it was on 360 games. I think you're exaggerating how much people supposedly hate gamechat and need to be in private parties.

As an aside, compilations of MW2 gamechat specifically are hugely popular. Personally the only real reason I started using party chat is because the game chat quality on original Reach is still aids even on xbox one.

• Upvote (+1) 2