CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

1 hour ago, Larry Sizemore said:

The Reach campaign was the first Halo campaign to really suck, and I don't think anybody would have played that shit if Bungie hadn't done something to give the commoners a little extra incentive to put up with it.

Youre a special smart ass

2 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Then that’s boring AF you didn’t do anything to earn it. A grind, a challenge, anything significant should happen, to get that unlock able. It’s one of the funnest things about video games, unlocking shit! 

My thinking is is that if 343 is going to half-ass the progression system, like they did, then it's better to just ditch it. Especially since we did the grind back in 2010. And we've been playing MCC for years before this current system, and I honestly never felt like what MCC was missing was an EXP bar.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do people just not use game chat in Halo anymore? I spent a good chunk of my day playing MCC yesterday and heard literally two people speak the entire session. It was in one game of Reach Hardcore, both on my team. One person was an actual person who was actually calling out and contributing. The other was some Spanish guy who seemingly didn’t know how to mute his mic, who was having a conversation with what sounded like 10 other people in the room. I play COD in game chat all the time and there’s always a good amount of people talking in every match.

Regardless, props to the guy who contributed call outs in that Sanc CTF game, he was the real MVP yesterday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Doodlepop said:

Do people just not use game chat in Halo anymore? I spent a good chunk of my day playing MCC yesterday and heard literally two people speak the entire session. It was in one game of Reach Hardcore, both on my team. One person was an actual person who was actually calling out and contributing. The other was some Spanish guy who seemingly didn’t know how to mute his mic, who was having a conversation with what sounded like 10 other people in the room. I play COD in game chat all the time and there’s always a good amount of people talking in every match.

Regardless, props to the guy who contributed call outs in that Sanc CTF game, he was the real MVP yesterday.

Xbox party chat and the game rewarding individual performance instead of working together and winning as a team killed this. 

The only social interaction I get in MCC PC matchmaking is getting called an idiot or the n word in the text chat (which cannot be disabled or muted btw and takes up half of your screen) for not helping people stat or boost XP. Or the occasional edgelord blaring music through their mic. 

9 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Because Spartan customization is the only thing Reach got right. 

And the UI

2 hours ago, Doodlepop said:

That's just multiplayer in general (at least on Xbox). Pretty much everyone is in their own Xbox party, even when both playing the same game on a perfectly capable game chat. Doesn't matter if it's Halo, Cod, Apex, Fortnite, Rocket League... And half the time when someone does use a mic it's usually a whiny kid who is either screaming his lungs out or playing music.

There are definitely benefits to the party chat system but it did almost completely destroy any communication in-game between players which is unfortunate.

• Like (+1) 1

I've suggested multiple times to to give an XP bonus for being in game chat. You should also get an XP bonus for partying up with people that aren't on your friends list yet, like back in H3, but that would require the party up system again. We're literally at the point where the game needs to incentivize you to make friends. It's sad to think about, because I remember how social H2 was. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

+1 exp per win needs to come back. It’s the best progression system of any Halo and I’ll stand by that till I die. 

This current system is utterly useless and unrewarding; the only thing I like are the rank symbols and that’s not saying much.

That said, it’s still better than what we had before.  

• Like (+1) 2

This is my first time really giving NBNS settings a chance with Reach and I have to be honest.... It’s really fucking fun.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I dont even get why we are talking about non-competitive shit on this forum. Was it invaded sometime in the past year?

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I've suggested multiple times to to give an XP bonus for being in game chat. You should also get an XP bonus for partying up with people that aren't on your friends list yet, like back in H3, but that would require the party up system again. We're literally at the point where the game needs to incentivize you to make friends. It's sad to think about, because I remember how social H2 was. 

On PC you can't invite randoms after a game. You can't add them as friends. You can't party up. So even if you met the coolest dude in a game you will never play with them again because there's no way to do so. That's how you build a community in 2019 I guess.

"Ready when it's ready" is the bigger meme than "exactly as remember it".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

How i met all of my H2/H3 friends:

1. Start solo game
  2. chat with teammates in said game
  3. Game is over, "Hey want to party up?"
  4. Play with some of those people for years.

In regards to people playing solely to progress through baked-in arbitrary progression systems.  I honestly don't care if that is why someone likes a game.  If all they care about is grinding for armor unlocks, who am I to judge why someone likes or wants to play a game? There should be a way for campaign/co-op/etc players to get the same unlocks that multiplayer focused players do.  Not like it hurts anybody.  The issue comes in when progression systems are added to a game to make up for a lack of rewarding gameplay or they are shoehorned in at the expense of other parts of the game just to be a cash grab. THAT is a major problem, but its certainly not what plagued Reach.  If they didn't create the progression system and armor unlocks, i don't think Reach would be any different of a game than it ended up being.  I think Bungie would have simply had a smaller team making it.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Basu said:

On PC you can't invite randoms after a game. You can't add them as friends. You can't party up. So even if you met the coolest dude in a game you will never play with them again because there's no way to do so. That's how you build a community in 2019 I guess.

"Ready when it's ready" is the bigger meme than "exactly as remember it".

Yeah you have to have your xbox companion app ready to add ppls GT on the fly or never see them again.

3 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I don't play Halo to make friends, I play Halo WITH friends, or just compete. I don't want to be punished from gaining optimal XP for not talking with or playing with people I don't know. That's literally the antithesis of why I play the game. Why punish me for that. Why punish the seeming majority, lol. Just because you want to talk with randoms. Or, rather, yell at them.

It's like recent CoD's dumb challenge systems. Like Black Ops 4. With guns forcing you to not use attachments at all to get diamond or gold camos. Unoptimally. And rewarding you for it. When it's an unenjoyable experience for a good camo.

At most, give the option to party up, like Halo 3 offered. I don't care if it's just an option, because people will use it, or they won't. And it harms no one at that point. But don't for a minute begin to sway XP gains in favor of this (to me) dumb shit.

17 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

The Reach campaign was the first Halo campaign to really suck, and I don't think anybody would have played that shit if Bungie hadn't done something to give the commoners a little extra incentive to put up with it

They all sucked.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 7

I honestly rather sit in a Xbox party by myself than talk to some troglodyte in game chat yelling about chicken tenders and how his team sucks. 

2 hours ago, Doodlepop said:

This is my first time really giving NBNS settings a chance with Reach and I have to be honest.... It’s really fucking fun.

it's amazing how much crap you have to get out of the way to adjust the game towards a playable state. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

it's amazing how much crap you have to get out of the way to adjust the game towards a playable state. 

It makes me terribly sad, thinking of what could've been had the game released nbns. Reach is the best and worst  4v4* halo mp at the same time. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

I'd argue it's amazing how little they had to get out of the way. Bloom and armor abilities.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thonking (+0) 1

1 hour ago, NavG123 said:

I'd argue it's amazing how little they had to get out of the way. Bloom and armor abilities.

mlg playlist uses 120% movement speed because base player speed is so slow you cannot strafe out of players shots, 150% gravity because the default jump is more of a half assed leap. the default player movement is a crawl. 

1 hour ago, NavG123 said:

The maps are pretty awful.

9 hours ago, znot said:

Yeah you have to have your xbox companion app ready to add ppls GT on the fly or never see them again.

What a time to be alive.

First gameplay on a dev map with our Reach mod:

Hex is OP pls nerf.

• Like (+1) 1

The Xbox party chat and the the ability to have an "infinite" friends list kind of ruined the charm of Xbox Live matchamaking. Primarily due to the fact that with the friends list previously, both people had to accept the invite. Now, while the thought of having an unlimited amount of friends doesn't sound bad at all, I honestly think the exclusivity played a part in how often people played together. Nowadays, it feels like one person adds the other... The other doesn't add them back for a couple of days because sometimes the notification doesn't pop up/you don't see it if you're offline. Then, you never play together. Then there's the other side of things where a lot of people use their accounts almost like a social media account these days where they only "follow back" certain people so they have like 20 friends and 500 followers or whatever. 

The party chat however is probably the biggest culprit in the downfall of social interaction on Xbox specifically. A lot of people like to argue in favor of party chat so that they "don't have to hear kids screaming in the mic" but let's be honest, I've played tens of thousands of games of just Halo (not to mention Gears, Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, etc) and it's not nearly as bad of a problem as people make it sounds -- and on top of that, the interactions you have with these people were funny a lot of the times lol. On top of that, the mute feature has pretty much existed since the beginning of time. It's impossible to compare the social interaction there is these days because it's virtually non-existent in today's game. Party chat is great in the fact that you can hop in a group chat with your same circle of friends, regardless of what game you're playing.. But it did unfortunately ruin the social side of matchmaking in pretty much every MP game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

lol @ Summ1t, well this is what happens when Reach is your first PC Halo game

Despite how awesome the Halo 2 days were, party chat is what people have wanted all along. Look at the way people have sequestered themselves into private Discord channels as their main forms of social interaction now, that's what they've always wanted to be able to do and now they're doing it.