CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I honestly hope that the made for console double digit IQ weapon tuning doesn't kill this game on PC, because I've been saying for ages that Halo could be a truly great PC FPS. This current port is not a PC FPS. It's a console game with a few PC features. The fact that it's already as fun as it is simply with the addition of mouse aim speaks to the potential the series has, but 343 needs to stop catering to console expectations and let this game (and the rest of the MCC) have the aim skill ceiling it deserves.

Fundamentally, the age old DMR starts and bloom arguments are a distraction from this larger issue. Step one before they even consider running tournaments is to massively reduce the ridiculous fat reticle bullet magnetism/autoaim that pulls your shots into enemy targets within a massive radius.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, arglactable said:

but 343 needs to stop catering to console expectations and let this game (and the rest of the MCC) have the aim skill ceiling it deserves

That would be very bad for them. As much as /r/Halo would like you to believe otherwise, guaranteed 90% of the people playing Reach right now are long-time Halo fans who also happen to own a computer, not brand new entrants to a franchise gloriously exploding into a new market. Alienating the bad kids is not what 343 wants to do if they want to keep people interested.

Just now, Cursed Lemon said:

That would be very bad for them. As much as /r/Halo would like you to believe otherwise, guaranteed 90% of the people playing Reach right now are long-time Halo fans who also happen to own a computer, not brand new entrants to a franchise gloriously exploding into a new market. Alienating the bad kids is not what 343 wants to do if they want to keep people interested.

The PC population, based on the Steam player counts alone, is in a fast and consistent decline already. I'm sure that there are a variety of reasons for this, but overpowering aim assists ARE a significant problem for PC FPS players and the complaints about it are widespread on plenty of platforms not specific to Halo. Plenty of bigger PC FPS streamers played the game day one, immediately noticed what a joke the gun-play is, and have barely touched it since. Aim assist complaints remain a staple in the remaining stream chats (which are all long time controller players).

The "plug in my controller and bask in high school/college nostalgia" experience isn't going to sustain the game long term. Obsessive console Halo players were going to be grinding the game regardless... Or complaining about it on Halo forums while barely playing it at all. The idea that everyone waiting for Halo official supported on PC was just waiting to plug in their console controllers is a bit ridiculous to me.

And none of this has any real relevance to the joke that is competitive play on PC dominated by controller players. At the very least, changes need to be made to hardcore.

• Like (+1) 1

I get the whole AR starts thing I really do. Some people want to just run around BTB and not get sniped by a DMR... But that doesn't mean it should be entirely AR starts.

If anything make it majority DMR starts and random AR starts sprinkled into the gametypes. Almost like an inverse of "veto for BRs"

"veto for AR's"

Too bad there's no veto and never will be.

17 minutes ago, arglactable said:

The PC population, based on the Steam player counts alone, is in a fast and consistent decline already. I'm sure that there are a variety of reasons for this, but overpowering aim assists ARE a significant problem for PC FPS players and the complaints about it are widespread on plenty of platforms not specific to Halo. Plenty of bigger PC FPS streamers played the game day one, immediately noticed what a joke the gun-play is, and have barely touched it since. Aim assist complaints remain a staple in the remaining stream chats (which are all long time controller players).

The "plug in my controller and bask in high school/college nostalgia" experience isn't going to sustain the game long term. Obsessive console Halo players were going to be grinding the game regardless... Or complaining about it on Halo forums while barely playing it at all. The idea that everyone waiting for Halo official supported on PC was just waiting to plug in their console controllers is a bit ridiculous to me.

And none of this has any real relevance to the joke that is competitive play on PC dominated by controller players. At the very least, changes need to be made to hardcore.

Firstly, I think the mistake you're making is assuming that old Halo games actually have a legit shot at not merely existing on PC, but thriving. MCC on PC is just a hype job for Infinite while they spend the next billion years working on it.

Secondly, the embarrassment via major streamers might've been a dent, sure, but far more than a ding on Halo's street cred, what would really kill the game is all those old school players finding out that Halo doesn't play quite right in a proper PC environment and/or they're straight up bad at PC shooters and this is how they found out.

As far as competitive is concerned, I'm of the opinion that people are wasting their damn time trying to refine Halo Reach of all godforsaken things, but that's me.

If anyone is looking for live LFG for competitive gameplay, or any other topics related to competitive halo, feel free to join the discord listed below. We are branching this off from the Halo server, because they only have a small channel sectioned off for competitive play.

https://discord.gg/mHx6wRr

6 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

a2k2gC7.png

Entire thread was full of responses basically to the effect of "OMG THIS YAAAS SLAY".

Welcome to the modern Halo fanbase.

Image result for jim leahy stairs gif"

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Firstly, I think the mistake you're making is assuming that old Halo games actually have a legit shot at not merely existing on PC, but thriving. MCC on PC is just a hype job for Infinite while they spend the next billion years working on it.

Secondly, the embarrassment via major streamers might've been a dent, sure, but far more than a ding on Halo's street cred, what would really kill the game is all those old school players finding out that Halo doesn't play quite right in a proper PC environment and/or they're straight up bad at PC shooters and this is how they found out.

As far as competitive is concerned, I'm of the opinion that people are wasting their damn time trying to refine Halo Reach of all godforsaken things, but that's me.

Oh, I am absolutely under no delusion that MCC will take over on PC. In fact, I'm sure that the predictable population drop-off for a port of an old game is a big part of the reason for the staggered release schedule leading into Infinite. People will play the campaigns of each new game when they come out, enjoy the nostalgic experience in multiplayer for a week or two, and then move on to whatever their preferred multiplayer game with regularly updated seasonal unlocks is. The population will plateau at something respectable but hardy chart-dominating between releases.

To be clear, my primary concern is not Reach. Reach just happens to be the only real option for the moment on PC and the first example of the problems Halo will have on PC. My concern with with the series on the platform going forward and more specifically Halo Infinite. Halo has a chance to fill a hole in the market as a high skill respawn FPS (one more accessible than Quake). It will not do that if it launches as a console-first game with mouse controls tacked on. MCC is the best test bed for PC-friendly tuning they have now and scaring off the hardcore PC FPS audience this far out from the next new release doesn't seem like a good plan either.

And, obviously, it would make the game much more enjoyable for me.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, arglactable said:

Overpowering aim assists are a significant problem for console players as well. 

30 minutes ago, arglactable said:

In fact, I'm sure that the predictable population drop-off for a port of an old game is a big part of the reason for the staggered release schedule leading into Infinite.

I think it has more to do with them wanting to focus on one title at a time so they don't 2014 MCC the PC crowd.

Otherwise the community would be in charge of flighting ALL games at once and expecting 343 to be able to track and fix bugs across all 4 games at once...

It's purely to focus development on one title at a time to ensure quality across all titles. Don't worry the other titles won't be nearly as long as Reach was, the other titles have all the work done save for the PC aspects.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BigShow36 said:

Overpowering aim assists are a significant problem for console players as well. 

Sure. I understand that. But my interest is primarily in the PC experience and I am not really convinced that balancing for mixed input is worth investigating.

1 minute ago, znot said:

I think it has more to do with them wanting to focus on one title at a time so they don't 2014 MCC the PC crowd.

Otherwise the community would be in charge of flighting ALL games at once and expecting 343 to be able to track and fix bugs across all 4 games at once...

It's purely to focus development on one title at a time to ensure quality across all titles. Don't worry the other titles won't be nearly as long as Reach was, the other titles have all the work done save for the PC aspects.

Yeah, that is no doubt the primary reason for it, but I think the benefit of drip-feeding the older games leading up to Infinite is pretty clear. They wanted to get a Halo game out for this holiday season, which is why they launched Reach before they finished overhauling Forge for PC (among other things) and having a continuous schedule of "new" content drops gives them a perfect platform for building hype on PC for the shiny new game at the end of 2020. It's basically an early access game + Halo Infinite promotional campaign.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, arglactable said:

I honestly hope that the made for console double digit IQ weapon tuning doesn't kill this game on PC, because I've been saying for ages that Halo could be a truly great PC FPS. This current port is not a PC FPS. It's a console game with a few PC features. The fact that it's already as fun as it is simply with the addition of mouse aim speaks to the potential the series has, but 343 needs to stop catering to console expectations and let this game (and the rest of the MCC) have the aim skill ceiling it deserves.

Fundamentally, the age old DMR starts and bloom arguments are a distraction from this larger issue. Step one before they even consider running tournaments is to massively reduce the ridiculous fat reticle bullet magnetism/autoaim that pulls your shots into enemy targets within a massive radius.

343 is not going to touch legacy settings. save that criticism for halo infinite. 

I agree with you, it's just 100% not going to happen. Less chance of that happening than 343 removing sprint and AAs

BTW is anyone has any reach maps they think are god for TU settings (not hardcore), message me or hardway. and probably give a reason why u think it's super good.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Riddler said:

343 is not going to touch legacy settings. save that criticism for halo infinite. 

I agree with you, it's just 100% not going to happen. Less chance of that happening than 343 removing sprint and AAs

BTW is anyone has any reach maps they think are god for TU settings (not hardcore), message me or hardway. and probably give a reason why u think it's super good.

Should I submit my resume and 2 writing samples as well?

22 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Should I submit my resume and 2 writing samples as well?

As long as it has 5 peer reviews. 

4 minutes ago, Riddler said:

As long as it has 5 peer reviews. 

I only have 4 and a half.

18 hours ago, Arlong said:

Luckily postums is disagreeing with most of these want AR start kids. Maybe the solution is to nerf the DMR range to 2X. 

This is actually an excellent solution.

I'll take reduced aim assist any day on the condition that the sniper reticule is reduced in size for mouse players. Thing has 24km radius bullets and PC gamers don't need to scope.

• Like (+1) 1

Hey remember when I said that MCC PC shouldn't have aim assist at all and that it would be broken, and half of you fuckers laughed and me and said they need it or else no one would play the game.

Who's laughing now. 

Image result for Vindication!

10 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

This is actually an excellent solution.

Doesn't really do much. Nerf the RRR and magnetism.

3 minutes ago, Basu said:

Doesn't really do much. Nerf the RRR and magnetism.

Cutting 3x to 2x would reduce the RRR. But yes, reducing magnetism and unscoped RRR would help even more. I'm still convinced that the only real issue is map design. Hemorrhage has no business being in matchmaking. That map is an abortion being propped up by nostalgia and a lack of discerning taste and gameplay scrutiny. 

33 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Cutting 3x to 2x would reduce the RRR. But yes, reducing magnetism and unscoped RRR would help even more. I'm still convinced that the only real issue is map design. Hemorrhage has no business being in matchmaking. That map is an abortion being propped up by nostalgia and a lack of discerning taste and gameplay scrutiny.  

RRR and scope magnetism are actually separate variables lol. But 100% agree, it's garbage like Hemmorhage and Paradiso's mountain that drives the dumbasses to claim the DMR is OP.

Isn't it funny that we now have Blood Gulch, Coag, Bloodline AND Hemmorhage in the same collection? Halo is back.

As a dedicated thumb-twiddler I wholeheartedly want reduced aim assist. I am practicing mouse and keyboard more and more but my god controller is easy mode.