Jump to content
CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Genesis said:

I'm glad that we get Halo soon...... but man is it me or is there all of the sudden a lot of Reach hype out of no where?

 

I remember it being a downward slope from Reach on. Sprint/abilities being introduced, Big Team Battle being pushed more, and no legit ranking system were all a huge factor on what felt like the death of Halo.

 

That being said, I enjoyed when MLG v7 settings came out and actually made the game competitively playable with ZBNS and look forward to giving that a go. And I get it "oh you're a competitive player, what about the casuals?" well I also would play reach casually and felt like the gameplay/mechanics where quite gimmicky and enjoyable/frustrating/random.

 

I don't know.. I think it's just 'hype' and most of the people will play it for 1-2 months and move on like they did when it came out in the first place. The longevity of Reach was on a bigger decline than compared to H3 and H2, probably also because of competition with COD and other games. But I do really feel like it was the mechanics, game-play, no ranked, and barely any dev support that contributed to this. And at one point it took forever to find games and would start with a 3v4 or 3v3 and the community was what seemed 'dead'. 

 

Am I alone on this?

I don't think you're alone. The problem is the farther we get from a game, the more support that game seems to get. Halo 4 campaign? Nobody I knew in school liked it. Not at the time and not afterwards. Now 7 years later many Halo fans will say it was one of the better campaigns. Why? Because Halo 4 and Halo 5 were so bad that it took all the original Halo fans away (that Halo Reach didn't anyway). So the only people you'll find talking about the H4 campaign are the ones who enjoyed it. 

Similar with Reach. Now it's been 9 years, so many don't even remember the bad things about Reach, they only remember a few good times, and that it's closer to the roots of og Halo then H4 or H5 were. And PC players can finally play Halo again. The hype will die as soon as people remember "oh this was what Reach was...right" or "wow Halo went from CE and H2 to this crap?"

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Default Reach with bloom and abilities will not last. I remember people played it for about a month and then all left for Black Ops. The game is fun for a little bit, but it's these dumbass design decisions that really grind your gears after a while. The only good thing about Reach is Hardcore, which is too scary for 99% of the population because it's ranked and custom games, which suffers because you have to use LFG groups and discord to find people and schedule play sessions which is again a turnoff for 99% of players.  343 delayed the custom game browser indefinitely so by the time that comes out Reach will be dead again.

  • Like (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Basu said:

Which suffers because you have to use LFG groups and discord to find people and schedule play sessions which is again a turnoff for 99% of players.

Of all the problems with the game and custom longevity, people organizing games externally is the last thing I’d say is a problem, given how notorious messaging and partying up are, among other things. Even outside of casual shit. Evolved got a good turnout in 2016, somehow. Guarantee you the same occurs here.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Of all the problems with the game and custom longevity, people organizing games externally is the last thing I’d say is a problem, given how notorious messaging and partying up are, among other things. Even outside of casual shit. Evolved got a good turnout in 2016, somehow. Guarantee you the same occurs here.

It's not a bad thing per se as forming communities and getting to know people and not just playing with randoms is great. However, it definitely hurts the accessibility and longevity of the settings when compared to MM playlists. Can you still easily play Evolved nowadays? No. Same for GoldPro Reach, it was virtually dead for years until very recently (small communities existed apparently but I learned of this a few days ago).

Anniversary settings in Reach are undeniably worse than GP, but I can still easily play them. Granted, you're right, it's become so much easier with things like Discord and advertising people to join on reddit/youtube/forums.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Basu said:

Granted, you're right, it's become so much easier with things like Discord and advertising people to join on reddit/youtube/forums.

You have to go out of your way for those unless you hear about it from elsewhere. Nobody is going to accidentally stumble upon GP without already being in the know.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

I loved anniversary but the pistol was wonky. Like, it didn't actually have bloom, but the effect was still on screen. Not only that but the spread was at times, really shitty. As if you were holding the trigger down or something.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, JordanB said:

I don't think you're alone. The problem is the farther we get from a game, the more support that game seems to get. Halo 4 campaign? Nobody I knew in school liked it. Not at the time and not afterwards. Now 7 years later many Halo fans will say it was one of the better campaigns. Why? Because Halo 4 and Halo 5 were so bad that it took all the original Halo fans away (that Halo Reach didn't anyway). So the only people you'll find talking about the H4 campaign are the ones who enjoyed it. 

Similar with Reach. Now it's been 9 years, so many don't even remember the bad things about Reach, they only remember a few good times, and that it's closer to the roots of og Halo then H4 or H5 were. And PC players can finally play Halo again. The hype will die as soon as people remember "oh this was what Reach was...right" or "wow Halo went from CE and H2 to this crap?"

I agree completely. Back when Reach came out nearly all of my buddies from school, none of whom were competitive players at all, quit playing the game because “it wasn’t the same”, “I prefer the classic Halo games”, etc.

It was odd to me how much support these games get now, but like you said at this point most of the players who enjoyed Halo pre-Reach have left. It was not a controversial opinion at all that Reach was bad.

  • Like (+1) 8

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Sitri said:

You have to go out of your way for those unless you hear about it from elsewhere. Nobody is going to accidentally stumble upon GP without already being in the know.

Yes I agree. It's just a tad easier to get someone to join a discord and organize play sessions than it was 10 years ago with customs lists and shit.

19 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I loved anniversary but the pistol was wonky. Like, it didn't actually have bloom, but the effect was still on screen. Not only that but the spread was at times, really shitty. As if you were holding the trigger down or something.

Same. It was fun because no AAs, faster movement, you could actually kill shit, faster items and Camo/OS/both on every map and the maps weren't complete atrocities at least for those settings they all worked damn well. But then there's shit like spread/bloom, 343 being too lazy to change the pistol to 12 shots per reload, insanely weak melees for some reason, wonky spawns, small map pool, 1 nade per respawn, 343 being too lazy to add forge remakes of longest and wizard which were literally handed to them for free etc.

Also fucking snipers on BTB maps which literally no one in the history of the universe asked for in the playlist was also an instant dashboard for me. The goofy flaming feet for OS and 5s invulnerability also never sat right with me, but better than H3/Reach default OS.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Basu said:

Yes I agree. It's just a tad easier to get someone to join a discord and organize play sessions than it was 10 years ago with customs lists and shit.

Same. It was fun because no AAs, faster movement, you could actually kill shit, faster items and Camo/OS/both on every map and the maps weren't complete atrocities at least for those settings they all worked damn well. But then there's shit like spread/bloom, 343 being too lazy to change the pistol to 12 shots per reload, insanely weak melees for some reason, wonky spawns, small map pool, 1 nade per respawn, 343 being too lazy to add forge remakes of longest and wizard which were literally handed to them for free etc.

Also fucking snipers on BTB maps which literally no one in the history of the universe asked for in the playlist was also an instant dashboard for me. The goofy flaming feet for OS and 5s invulnerability also never sat right with me, but better than H3/Reach default OS.

I mean, barring default armor lock I didn't hate AAs in reach. Or weak melee for that matter since melee it and of itself is pretty low bar. Besides there was no bleed through from what I remember so that kinda messed it up anyway.

Honestly when it comes to reach, just use tu setting with no bloom and faster speed. I think you'd please enough people at once with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Mr Grim said:

I mean, barring default armor lock I didn't hate AAs in reach. Or weak melee for that matter since melee it and of itself is pretty low bar. Besides there was no bleed through from what I remember so that kinda messed it up anyway.

Honestly when it comes to reach, just use tu setting with no bloom and faster speed. I think you'd please enough people at once with that.

Trust me I hate melee with a passion, especially in Reach, but the Anniversary melees are a complete joke. It's a 4hk if I remember correctly. You could be completely no shields and still tank a melee. So it does about as much damage as a single shot from the Anniversary pistol.

Aside from hologram which is a total joke the other AAs are just as cancerous as AL, just not in such an obvious way. Bloom is more annoying though I agree. The only reason why bloom is still there is because the Reach sandbox is such a fucking joke that it would fall apart without bloom on the DMR. Which isn't really true actually, it's just that the autos are transferred from D- to F category. The power weapons could actually be kept in line better with ZB. The "laserbeam" aspect could easily be fixed by making it a 2x zoom and lowering the RRR.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

barring default armor lock I didn't hate AAs in reach.

What do you see as the benefits of Armor Lock?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Basu said:

Trust me I hate melee with a passion, especially in Reach, but the Anniversary melees are a complete joke. It's a 4hk if I remember correctly. You could be completely no shields and still tank a melee. So it does about as much damage as a single shot from the Anniversary pistol.

Aside from hologram which is a total joke the other AAs are just as cancerous as AL, just not in such an obvious way. Bloom is more annoying though I agree. The only reason why bloom is still there is because the Reach sandbox is such a fucking joke that it would fall apart without bloom on the DMR. Which isn't really true actually, it's just that the autos are transferred from D- to F category. The power weapons could actually be kept in line better with ZB. The "laserbeam" aspect could easily be fixed by making it a 2x zoom and lowering the RRR.

What's the dmr killtime without bloom? It's a 5 shot kill so it can't be that quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Boyo said:

What do you see as the benefits of Armor Lock?

Nothing. Tu AL is just tolerable for me. Ideally it wouldn't exist.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Basu said:

The power weapons could actually be kept in line better with ZB. The "laserbeam" aspect could easily be fixed by making it a 2x zoom and lowering the RRR.

So, the Magnum?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Boyo said:

Extended magnum.  

I'm just thinking of the game settings as they are. If they want to add a custom magnum or new custom settings I'm all for it.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

What's the dmr killtime without bloom? It's a 5 shot kill so it can't be that quick.

It’s like a 1.6. Pretty atrocious if you ask me, even with the no bloom it still took forever to drop people. Average time was around 2 seconds plus, depending on aim. Snipers could easily squeeze out 2-3 shots by the time you dropped them. Extremely nauseating in high level play. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

It’s like a 1.6. Pretty atrocious if you ask me, even with the no bloom it still took forever to drop people. Snipers could easily squeeze out 2-3 shots by the time you dropped them. 

What do you think the difference between utility weapon killtime and sniper bodyshot+Utility weapon headshot should be?

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

What's the dmr killtime without bloom? It's a 5 shot kill so it can't be that quick.

1.6s which is the slowest in the series after the H4 BR was patched.

14 minutes ago, Boyo said:

So, the Magnum?

Reach Magnum has a super high RoF, has spread even at zero bloom and a pathetically small magazine. Fix these and we're talking, but the DMR really only needs an RRR decrease the zoom thing isn't that much of an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Boyo said:

What do you see as the benefits of Armor Lock?

Actually countering stickies, and nuke nades. 

2 hours ago, Basu said:

Trust me I hate melee with a passion, especially in Reach, but the Anniversary melees are a complete joke. It's a 4hk if I remember correctly. You could be completely no shields and still tank a melee.

To be fair, melee lunge in the game is a joke, especially when backpedaling. Least they sucked in the one playlist where you deal damage.

3 hours ago, Basu said:

It's not a bad thing per se as forming communities and getting to know people and not just playing with randoms is great. However, it definitely hurts the accessibility and longevity of the settings when compared to MM playlists. Can you still easily play Evolved nowadays? No. Same for GoldPro Reach, it was virtually dead for years until very recently (small communities existed apparently but I learned of this a few days ago).

Anniversary settings in Reach are undeniably worse than GP, but I can still easily play them. Granted, you're right, it's become so much easier with things like Discord and advertising people to join on reddit/youtube/forums.

To a point. I can’t play ZB anymore despite it being a playlist, so I wouldn’t say that would for sure ensure it’s survival.

Thinking on that myself, I don’t even think a customs browser would aid in it. Anyone wanting to scrim comp settings, or anything serious would probably not be doing it with randoms, or waiting on randoms to fill lobbies. Given the comp nature BY nature lends itself to taking things more seriously, especially with lobby organization.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Boyo said:

What do you think the difference between utility weapon killtime and sniper bodyshot+Utility weapon headshot should be?

Anything higher then 1.2 is fishy to me. I’d like to give the sniper some agency and have at least 1 shot to drop a enemy player with perfect aim.

Snipers being caught out in the open or not paying attention should be punished, period.  There shouldn’t be any “duels” between a rifle player and a sniper.  

Share this post


Link to post

I was thinking, what are your thoughts on MCC having H2A as a free to play multiplayer? I was in a reddit thread comparing Destiny 2 launch with Halo.


They're both essentially free games (MCC hub and Destiny 2 vanilla) with paid DLC to launch the game (Shadowkeep and Halo Reach.) The difference between these two is that Destiny can be accessed without the DLC, Halo MCC cannot even though MCC is "a free hub for all the games"

 

This is where I think H2A multiplayer steps in and should go free to play. I mean really, it's 6 TOTAL maps. SIX!!! (plus MP forge maps) That's enough content to be a decent F2P title while also not offering too much that the people who paid feel left out. < and is that even a thing? It's h2a no one is going to complain ppl get it for free.

 

It would just make a lot of sense to have a F2P or demo version of MCC for people to try. ANd H2A fits the bill perfectly.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

What was wrong with condemned? I remember people saying it was shitty but I always liked playing on it. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy.