CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

16 hours ago, Boyo said:

A power up that reduces the user’s player model size by 50%, giving him exclusive access to doggy doors and vents?  Is that what you are suggesting?  

Well...I guess *Im* not really suggesting anything.

I just think it would be a better execution of the idea, I dont know if it would be good in itself.  At face value it seems reasonable enough, smaller hitbox is useful but still counterable.

I dont wanna see playable races though, unless its like an intentionally OP singular juggernaut / saxton hale / etc mode.  Otherwise just sets an expected precedent for the standard modes.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Boyo said:

A power up that reduces the user’s player model size by 50%, giving him exclusive access to doggy doors and vents?  Is that what you are suggesting?  

@Cursed Lemon Yeah.  He is using skill gap to mean the difference in skill between opposing teams, not the difference in skill floor and skill ceiling.  

You can literally just have Crouch Vents 

• Fire (+1) 1

On 11/24/2019 at 11:38 AM, Arlong said:

Yeah no

Reloading in Shooters is Fucking Trash

• Fire (+1) 3

On 11/24/2019 at 2:32 PM, Arlong said:

@Boyo dude stop thinking getting rid of reload is a good thing. You also can’t be supportive of getting rid of such a thing if you’re ok with overheat. Battlefront 2 is like this, and it’s not the best mechanic when it’s basically the same thing. 

Reload is LITERALLY a Gameplay Abomination. Patent Fact. Overheat is actually a more entertaining inhibitor of Firing access. That's why Mass Effect 1 is better than 2 and 3

are we trolling lol wtf are you guys talking about? reloading and overheating are the same damn thing....

they just have a different animation... They both stop you from shooting for an X amount of time. Just because the animations are different doesn't mean they don't both function the same.

You're either swapping a clip or waiting for the gun to cool down and shoot again.

Both are the same mechanic. They stop you from shooting for a period of time.

Unless the timings are different they're still the same. But one is faster. Is that what were talking about speed? haha 

@znot Overheat doesn’t need a reload button and with the right cadence can be fired indefinitely.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Boyo said:

@znot Overheat doesn’t need a reload button and with the right cadence can be fired indefinitely.  

THAT is a good point. Didn't think about that!

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

dont wanna see playable races though, unless its like an intentionally OP singular juggernaut / saxton hale / etc mode.  Otherwise just sets an expected precedent for the standard modes.

Most modes would be Spartans.  Infection and Invasion would have Elites.  Like you said, you could adapt Juggernaut/Regicide gametypes for a playable Promethean.  A round based FFA where one player spawns as a Promethean and the Spartan who kills him gets the point.  

6 hours ago, Vyrst said:

You can literally just have Crouch Vents 

The idea was to use altering the size of the player model via button press or power up pick up as a means of allowing access to paths that players can’t normally fit through.  You also get the bonus of being harder to hit and having a seemingly faster strafe.  

I don't think we could ever remove reloading from the human weapons without getting pushback from large parts of the community. What could be cool tho is adding ways to make reloading more interesting. CoD AW had this thing called "active reload" where the dude would toss out the rest of the ammo left in the clip and you'd get a faster reload. Then there's YY canceling. I also love how you can reload and throw grenades at the same time in CE and H2. I always appreciate little things like that to make mundane tasks like reloading more interesting.

• Like (+1) 2

Nothing against brainstorming new ideas but currently I just want a solid Halo title that gets the basics right and not some Promethean FFA or mechanics from Super Mario Bros.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Basu said:

I don't think we could ever remove reloading from the human weapons without getting pushback from large parts of the community. What could be cool tho is adding ways to make reloading more interesting. CoD AW had this thing called "active reload" where the dude would toss out the rest of the ammo left in the clip and you'd get a faster reload. Then there's YY canceling. I also love how you can reload and throw grenades at the same time in CE and H2. I always appreciate little things like that to make mundane tasks like reloading more interesting.

A Slipspace Backpack stores the ammo you pick up and teleports it into the weapon when necessary.  Boom.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Nothing against brainstorming new ideas but currently I just want a solid Halo title that gets the basics right and not some Promethean FFA or mechanics from Super Mario Bros.

What did you think of the gate on Zanzibar?

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

What did you think of the gate on Zanzibar?

I am generally in favor of player activated switches and even stuff like doors that automatically open when somebody comes close which are often used to block long lines of sight in the Quake series for example. Even some more experimental stuff like 1 way doors (only open if you are on the right side of it) or keycard pickups that a player can hold and drops when he dies (other option would be to have it respawn on a set position instead of dropping it on death) that allows access to certain routes locked to players not holding the keycard I am in favor of since you can make great maps with that sort of stuff.
Not saying all of it has to work for competitive play but it generally helps forge maps to get to the next step, for disk maps that feature something like this I would love an option to remove those parts in forge so we are not limited to one version of the map.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

I mean I get that we can tweak it a lot, but not generally a fan of the plasma rifles overheating mechanic. It’s easier and faster just to YY on a reload than to wait for it to lower down or finish the overheating cycle. 

5 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I mean I get that we can tweak it a lot, but not generally a fan of the plasma rifles overheating mechanic. It’s easier and faster just to YY on a reload than to wait for it to lower down or finish the overheating cycle. 

He does have a point though of using it to a point where it doesn't need to overheat. LIke burst firing a plasma rifle.

It's not effective but it works.

But if it's not effective it may as well not exist. Depends on the weapon. Some CAN be used with this in mind but not all H2A OP sentinel beam comes to mind. I'm not sure exactly it's been a while but I'm pretty sure you could do some damage by controlling your sentinel charge

The Reach update blog talks about the mouse input delay and says that they're "investigating it and are making improvements".

Except given that it's not input delay that's the problem, I'm convinced the issue won't be resolved by release, and thus I won't be playing this game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

The Reach update blog talks about the mouse input delay and says that they're "investigating it and are making improvements".

Except given that it's not input delay that's the problem, I'm convinced the issue won't be resolved by release, and thus I won't be playing this game.

I've been concerned ever since they asked us "What kind of games do you feel have good aiming?"

It's a good way to sound clueless.

That being said, I do think the aiming will be fixed by release, simply because it needs to be. Fingers crossed.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Vyrst said:

Reloading in Shooters is Fucking Trash

Reloading in shooters reminds me of bloom. Like, yeah, I like it when a game rewards patience, but forcing players to pace shots via bloom is a terrible way to go about rewarding patience, especially considering the RNG involved.

I think you can parse through the effect of reloading in a similar way. Sure, it's 'good' to limit rocket launcher shots via reloading, but couldn't we go about balancing a weapon in a more inherent way? How about the weapon just always sports integrity, instead of bouts of bullshit interrupted by reloading to kinda balance the weapon in a wholistic way. Reloading also creates a momentary lapse of action, so that players can bait shots and push when the enemy is busy putting their weapon back together, but again I ask, aren't there other ways, more integral ways, to allow for players to push? How about a strong strafe, and projectile-based weapons? How about well spaced maps? (which sprint doesn't allow for) How about power weapons that don't aim themselves? Just a thought.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

2 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

I am generally in favor of player activated switches and even stuff like doors that automatically open when somebody comes close which are often used to block long lines of sight in the Quake series for example. Even some more experimental stuff like 1 way doors (only open if you are on the right side of it) or keycard pickups that a player can hold and drops when he dies (other option would be to have it respawn on a set position instead of dropping it on death) that allows access to certain routes locked to players not holding the keycard I am in favor of since you can make great maps with that sort of stuff.
Not saying all of it has to work for competitive play but it generally helps forge maps to get to the next step, for disk maps that feature something like this I would love an option to remove those parts in forge so we are not limited to one version of the map.

Boy do I have the map for you

• Fire (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, ImperiumVII said:

I've been concerned ever since they asked us "What kind of games do you feel have good aiming?"

It's a good way to sound clueless.

This really is a completely bizarre talking point they're pushing because aiming is supposed to be completely transparent, it's not supposed to be something you have to invest all this thought energy into in order to determine what makes it feel "good".

Fucking imbeciles.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Basu said:

All of this plus bring back backpack reloading. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, znot said:

are we trolling lol wtf are you guys talking about? reloading and overheating are the same damn thing....

they just have a different animation... They both stop you from shooting for an X amount of time. Just because the animations are different doesn't mean they don't both function the same.

You're either swapping a clip or waiting for the gun to cool down and shoot again.

Both are the same mechanic. They stop you from shooting for a period of time.

Unless the timings are different they're still the same. But one is faster. Is that what were talking about speed? haha 

Biggest difference here is that overheat doesn't actually hard stop force you into stopping, ever really (given the right circumstances).  I think if developers really wanted to enforce their ridiculous vision for shot pacing, overheat is the way to do it.  In Reach if you wanted to disregard that and go for a perfect 5-shot at max ROF go for it, at the penalty of an overheat.  No random accuracy drop, it would just overheat at that ROF meaning good players would lock the kill down anyways.  Shot pacing would just allow you to continue shooting, forever really.  Doesn't require a button on the remote, and doesn't hard cap you at however many consecutive kills you can usually get in a single magazine before having to reload - for the Halo 5 magnum that would be 2 lol. 

I don't think it's the best solution but I'd take it over bloom a hundred times.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2