CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

people like Halo and it's unique mechanics that no other game can copy properly

343 hires people who don't like Halo because of those mechanics

Gee I wonder what the hell is going to happen to the next Halo game those people are working on. Surely they won't make it play like something else that they DO like that Halo players DON'T want.

To be fair, one of the things they "hated" was 30fps. That is the only thing we know for a fact that was one of the "hated" things.

57 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

people like Halo and it's unique mechanics that no other game can copy properly

343 hires people who don't like Halo because of those mechanics

Gee I wonder what the hell is going to happen to the next Halo game those people are working on. Surely they won't make it play like something else that they DO like that Halo players DON'T want.

I like to believe halo is its own game genre. Very few games mimic it. Splitgate and Overwatch to some degree does it decently well.

15 hours ago, Basu said:

The term power weapon should not exist aside from the rockets. Look at CE, the shotgun or sniper aren't a free killing frenzy like in H5. I know you're just the messenger here but jesus these "arguments" for Magnum/BR being "OVERPOWERED!+!!1" make my blood boil to no end.

Sadly yes. 90% of shooters nowadays are dominated by easy to use instakill autos that take almost no skill to use. It's sad to see that a game like Halo is now regarded as insanely skillful just because the average FPS is so dumbed down. Halo used to get laughed at by the Arena shooter and PC FPS crowd. And the worst part is that Halo has become steadily less skillful itself and lost all its identity in the process.

I agree that the H3 sniper is insane as the BR is basically a burst shotgun in that game. But you never hear kids talk about that, because they think the BR is OP because they can't hose people down halfway across the map with an AR so clearly it's the precision weapons that are OP.

As for CE yes exactly, the entire sandbox is built around the magnum and it shows. No other game has achieved this kind of beautiful weapon balance.

There's also the fact that at the level the average reddit 343 drone plays at no one strafes so the pistol is an easy 3sk more often than not. Plus MCC CE is a joke anyways with the insane magnetism on pistol and snipe and the shitty hitreg. So I can kind of see where this "pistol bad" sentiment is coming from but at the same time it's so frustrating because if people just thought about the entire sandbox even a little bit they'd realize how good the balance actually is and why it's the most fun and rewarding game of the series.

The community and especially 343 should be learning from CE's sandbox, not make memes and spread false propaganda about it.

I honestly don't like the sound their ideas of reach balancing beyond reducing or removing bloom. Like if they go back and make the autos in that game op like they did in 5, holy shit.

Edit: what the fuck the wrong post was quoted

33 minutes ago, Basu said:

Interesting.

Halo 5 is something I'd scrape off my boot back into the gutter so I'm not surprised.

That's either not true or it has to do with the audience that's left playing after... 3 fucking years. Rather than a general rule about skill gap.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Obviously this "phenomenon" he describes is compounded by the fact that:

1) there is no real quit penalty in H5 as you need to quit multiple times and can just switch accounts to sit out the temporary bans.

2) People expect tight matches in H5 social by now. If they're getting close maatches and sweating all the time why would the deserve to get destroyed by better players all of the sudden?

3) No party matching makes MM seem unfair from the get go so if you're getting destroyed you instantly feel 100% helpless.

4) Similarly, when a game of H5 snowballs, it really snowballs really hard and there's often no coming back.

5) What @Mr Grim said. The game is old as shit at this point and has never had a good population to begin with. They also kind of attacted the "instant quit if losing" crowd by catering to the casual CoD kids so much, so I guess you reap what you sow.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Let's see a graph of the playerbase over time.

Then we'll see the true quit rate.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Fire (+1) 2

On 11/24/2019 at 7:49 AM, Ramirez77 said:

a powerup that did that would be an idea to consider, and we've already been talking about powerups that enable key shortcuts on the map so...

A power up that reduces the user’s player model size by 50%, giving him exclusive access to doggy doors and vents?  Is that what you are suggesting?  

@Cursed Lemon Yeah.  He is using skill gap to mean the difference in skill between opposing teams, not the difference in skill floor and skill ceiling.  

• Like (+1) 1

He's mixing up the terminology but I believe him about quit rates.

H5's problem is the number of playlists / population, not the ranking system.

• Like (+1) 1

If players were quitting because they were getting completely stomped in ranked, that is a problem with the ranking system, which is why his statement makes no sense. If it was the population that was the problem, that still doesn't make sense because what is he even talking about at that point?

• Thonking (+0) 1

8 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

If players were quitting because they were getting completely stomped in ranked, that is a problem with the ranking system, which is why his statement makes no sense. If it was the population that was the problem, that still doesn't make sense because what is he even talking about at that point?

According to him this happens both in ranked and social. But again this basically confirms that H5 players have the same expectations towards ranked and social which is just a sign that things somewhere went horribly wrong. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Shekkles said:

To be fair, one of the things they "hated" was 30fps. That is the only thing we know for a fact that was one of the "hated" things.

What other game on console was better than 30fps when 343 was hiring devs for H4? This would have been like 2010?

17 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

What other game on console was better than 30fps when 343 was hiring devs for H4? This would have been like 2010?

Isn't the COD series 60fps in multiplayer? I'm not sure, it's been a while since I've played. But it still doesn't make any sense because H4 was still struggling to hit even 30fps. It literally took another console launch before they could reliably hit a constant 60fps on decade old games. 

• Like (+1) 4

37 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

17 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

Isn't the COD series 60fps in multiplayer? I'm not sure, it's been a while since I've played. But it still doesn't make any sense because H4 was still struggling to hit even 30fps. It literally took another console launch before they could reliably hit a constant 60fps on decade old games. 

Yes CoD has been 60 FPS for as long as I can remember. Of course it's CoD, what else was 343 ever inspired by lmao.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Basu said:

Yes CoD has been 60 FPS for as long as I can remember. Of course it's CoD, what else was 343 ever inspired by lmao.

people tried to deny this video. Granted it says parody. It's reality.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 1

I think both of those tweets are off from the point that the TSM dude was attempting to make. Menke said nothing but the truth about ranking systems and of course that works better than literally just using nothing. The number of good players is absolutely fucking massive compared to the number of good players who go through the effort to smurf. Dude was just upset about game mechanics being ruined so he tried to throw everything under the bus as pointless when what Menke said about the ranking system is obviously true and it does help but its unfortunately beside the real point of what really ruins games when they try to protect low skill players. 

56 minutes ago, znot said:

people tried to deny this video. Granted it says parody. It's reality.

I will never not cringe at the Spartan Gimmicks reveal video. Frankie pretending to know anything about good gameplay will never not me chuckle. I also love how they keep spamming "everyone has them! Hey dude everyone spawns with these abilities! Hey so it's all good bro! Bro Arena Halo bro!".

Also AW was the better game than H5. I actually had a ton of fun playing it and it mixed up the CoD formula in a cool way. If this was the only advanced/scifi CoD it would've been completely fine, the problem was that in true CoD fashion they made fucking three games in a row with these mechanics, of course the community got tired of it quickly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hard Way said:

It's ok they must still hate Halo 5 because the frame rate tanks hard.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd like to vote for the total removal of East US 2 server in H3. Despite living on the east coast its nothing but shots disappearing and being sniped through walls. Literal EU servers are better and I can't understand it lol

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Basu said:

Also AW was the better game than H5. I actually had a ton of fun playing it and it mixed up the CoD formula in a cool way. If this was the only advanced/scifi CoD it would've been completely fine, the problem was that in true CoD fashion they made fucking three games in a row with these mechanics, of course the community got tired of it quickly.

You're not my friend.