CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

The pro team one definitely pissed me off, because I highly doubt any of them console scrubs know anything about raw input. Seriously can they get someone from blizzard, or respawn, SOMEONE who knows PC gaming?! The guys doing the PC port are honestly shitty as hell clearly.

1. Bad server net code, whom is unacceptable for a triple A game.

2. Bad mouse input which is unacceptable for a pc FPS game

3. Bloom, need I say more. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'm more concerned about the engine and how framerate somehow messes with aiming it makes me wonder how Bungie made any of this work originally.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Zdann said:

I'm more concerned about the engine and how framerate somehow messes with aiming it makes me wonder how Bungie made any of this work originally.

Bungie created the tools man, they're the only ones who REALLY know how to use em

• Thonking (+0) 1

It's ok guys we have the Slipspace TM engine coming for Infinite. There's no way 343 can break a brand new engine that hasn't been used before.

• Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

An out of Date build, how the fuck do you mess that up? 

1 hour ago, HeX Reapers said:

incompetency

Packaging, testing and releasing a build can take weeks.  The dev work doesn't stop just because you're packaging a build.  Any time you are using production software, you are essentially using an out of date build.  Where I work we are already creating features that won't come out for 2 or 3 releases yet.  We find bugs that we basically deem as "ok for beta but not for production" all the time.  This kind of stuff is the norm.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nobody questioned that @Apoll0 but if aiming is broken for a PC flight you might as well just delay it - what is a shooter you cannot properly aim in?
Not to mention all the people who played with kb/m, they probably are not looking forward to playing a game with aim worse than PC titles from 23 years ago...

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

incompetency

I’m sure if you looked that up in the definition you’d find 343 in there, as the example. 

58 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

It's ok guys we have the Slipspace TM engine coming for Infinite. There's not way 343 can break a brand new engine that hasn't been used before.

All sarcasm aside, a new engine does bring more positivity as long as it’s “good”. 

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

Bungie created the tools man, they're the only ones who REALLY know how to use em

And then there's kids who still go around claiming Bungie employees now work for 343. when there's really only like 2-3. Ske7ch, O' Connor and..... That's actually it.

So yeah were screwed unless they call Max Hoberman from CA

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Arlong said:

An out of Date build, how the fuck do you mess that up? 

Builds that get pushed out aren’t always the current state of the game. A lot of times demos and betas are a few builds behind where the game is currently at.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 11/4/2019 at 10:06 AM, JordanB said:

Halo 4 went like this for me - 

• oh we're fighting the covenant again? OK
  • Cortana is being weird
  • ah new enemies. Knights can teleport. Cool /s
  • Guy in a big ball has been trapped in there for a long time. He seems to be the leader of the new enemy. He tricks us into freeing him and he pretty much threw us to the side like we're a plastic toy. How will we stop him?
  • Long cutscene with a strange woman (not to mention completely random, where even are we? Where did she come from? I'm trying to figure out all this while she's explaining all this new stuff to me). "Mantle of responsibility" "Composer" ... a lot of new terms to me all at once. I understand the Didact a little more but I'm still confused about other things and feel overwhelmed with too much new information at once.
  • Scientists just exploded in front of our faces and we survived... weird
  • Didact can still throw us around but Cortana sacrifices herself to help defeat Didact. We win but at the cost of Cortana.

In CE I don't have to understand the Covenant or their religion to understand why they're attacking us. They're aliens that have their own guns and their own technology. Knowing why they are attacking us would be nice but I'm not sitting in the first mission of CE like "why is an alien race even attacking us it doesn't make sense".

We learn what they are after in bits and pieces throughout the game. We're told Halo is a super weapon, so it makes sense we want to stop them from using it. Thus, war. 

Except that isn't the reason for the war, and it isn't one for A war when you don't even know the ring's purpose in the moment. Even in hindsight, it'd be pretty stupid to waste resources trying to fight for and capture a ring that may very well just be an easily destroyed visual playground an alien race built up because they COULD as a non-planetary utopia, which is in turn, not a very contestable military asset. Especially given the first idea of destroying it was a relatively minor nuclear explosion. Dunno why you'd fight for something you could destroy with a straggler ship. Or hesitate for so long, exploring it for no reason while your enemy gains ground. This being said with CE's context alone. To the actual point, they even have pre-mission unseen fight dialogue about Reach, insinuating this is a longer war, and the stretch question of "why the fuck is this even going on" becomes more unavoidable with more sequels. Hell, it's unavoidable in CE because you have no idea what's going on, being dropped into the middle of a fight, and you're given the context Halo wasn't an intentional find by essentially either side. Meaning your conflict extends past Halo. Meaning this question is in CE, and never explained, despite being the pivotal point of the game. That being, fighting this empire. 

Go past that. Go to the manual. The manual actually dictates the span of time, 32 years, namedrops ANOTHER planet we have no idea on, Harvest, and only says the Covenant declares you an affront to their gods, thus, a war raged. But as with my prior post, there's no reason for it given. Why are you an affront, why not induct you, what is the current state of affairs past this, etc. They just say this and go. So you have no context, a "motive" that makes effectively no sense when you begin thinking on it given what little info you had, and we end up back here. Where I'm wondering "what the fuck happened before this". Because without this info, a gigantic piece of the puzzle is missing. It doesn't seem big, but you're putting emphasis on the fight for the Halo, not the pre-game that is brought up before Halo's purpose is unveiled, 7 missions in. It's a bunch of contextless tropes. Which is poor for storytelling. VERY poor.

The "why" is literally key to this, and I'll contrast it with Halo 4. The Didact awakens three missions in. It's implied he lured you there when you were on the planet to release him beforehand, so, already his presence is felt and he has a reason to be doing what he does. And you aren't wandering around for three missions. You're following a path unbeknownst to you to a dude who wants to escape his prison. He escapes, and immediately speaks to you about your blind nobility and resistance to him. Dropping how he feels betrayed by having his own army turned against him, for a race he hates, humanity, (elaborated on later), and realizes that with the current state of affairs with your foes, he can stop you from claiming the then unknown Mantle. All of this in one cutscene. You have the why. He wants to stop you from claiming the Mantle, deems you inferior, states how you're inferior, and moves on to accomplish his goal. And they elaborate on this Mantle specifically in Reclaimer. So, already, the antagonist has a motive within minutes, if not seconds of him revealing himself. A reason to exist, and fight against you that is clearly defined, while defining the culture of his species, and the base conflict of the game. And it begins in act I. Is built on in act II. And culminates in III. You aren't just dropped into the middle of a war, with no explanation. You build up TO the war of the story. 

The Covenant has no arc like that. I think a bigass part of it was the fact there was no defined leader, and no dialogue for the game from their side, nothing. We don't have bits and pieces, we have nothing. And end UP with nothing for a solid three years, game-wise. CE told us they wanted to activate a Halo but we didn't even KNOW the Great Journey was a thing until Halo 2. And still lacked basic info until after Halo 3 came out. Info that even if you don't THINK is relevant, really is. And just crushes a lot of storytelling integrity with the earlier titles.

Post-rant-rant: Unrelated, but just thinking on CE reminded me of how unbelievably, unrealistically stupid the Chief was, despite being military. He crashlands on an alien "world", is introduced to multiple hostile and non-hostile lifeforms he's never interacted with. And follows orders from someone he just met, in turn nearly turning the key that nukes the galaxy, or, at least a part of it. Had he not injected Cortana into the terminal and left in a hurry to rescue Keyes, our savior would've literally non-hesitatingly nuked the galaxy, having just accepted Guilty Spark's explanation of the Halo. He didn't ask any questions, he didn't resist to wonder what the Halo would do to STOP the threat of the Flood. He just accepts it. ALL for the sake of a twist that occurs in the falling action of the damn story. A superbly manufactured one, given Guilty Spark acts differently in explaining the Halo during CE, being very obviously coy and deceptive, before confirming suspicions, but has no qualms being direct in offering info about Halo in later titles, and even instigates. Because we as the audience know what the characters don't, making the use of dramatic irony fucking tiresome, and slightly insulting in hindsight when they actually decided to build a universe.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

4 hours ago, Arlong said:

All sarcasm aside, a new engine does bring more positivity as long as it’s “good”. 

Yeah but everything brings positivity if it's "good".

3 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I'm TLDRing this to avoid huge walls of text.

I don't really think anyone is preaching that the original trilogy is a masterpiece of writing that should be worshiped as the greatest story of all time. Its just a story that at a base level is easy to understand, at the time no additional information was out there so you had to take it at a base level. 

CE begins with you being blindsided by an alien race that you've never encountered before. You crash land on a foreign structure with your main means of transportation gone. I would think the rational thing to do would be to find survivors (mission Halo, truth and reconciliation) and finding strongholds to fight the Covenant back (Silent Cartographer). Then everything else just unfolds, you find out that the Covenant view Halo as a religious artifact, you accidentally release the flood, and put plans in motion to not let the flood leave Halo by blowing up the PoA. 

War doesn't always have a reason and people don't always understand why they are fighting a war. The PoA is being attacked by the Covenant, you can't just sit by and do nothing because you aren't sure why the human race is an affront to their gods. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Haven't been paying too much attention,  but I think 343 said back in the spring that Reach will be coming to MCC before the end of the year. Do we know if this is still valid?

2 hours ago, Turkeyyy Lips said:

Haven't been paying too much attention,  but I think 343 said back in the spring that Reach will be coming to MCC before the end of the year. Do we know if this is still valid?

Possible, but I hope they delay it because the game is a trainwreck right now at least on PC. The last console flight also had audio issues and terrible hitreg.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Mow said:
and I don't know how the hell he think the PR team *cough* sorry, I mean the 'Pro' team, have any kind of experience or expertise with something complex like mouse aiming/input just because they were pros in past Halo titles

That's not the question that needs to be asked. The question that needs to be asked is how the hell are pro players, who ought to be attuned to the tiniest little god damn changes in the game, oblivious to how fucking bad the aiming is?

17 hours ago, Lukes said:

A Splash Damage dev commented about it.

unknown.png?width=864&height=324

All we need to do here is flash back to the problem with H5's aiming, which was not caused by:

• Aim acceleration
  • Input latency
  • Hardware limitations
  • Connection issues
  • Sensitivity/deadzone settings

To realize that the problem is how 343 is coding the aiming.

• Like (+1) 4

"We have definitely fixed those issues" now where have we heard that before?

• Like (+1) 2

Not sure what it is about 343 and aiming for some reason. 

Halo 5 Forge: PC had terrible/weird mouse aiming too; I made a few posts back when H5:F came out about that specifically. Ironically though, the Controller aiming on H5:F felt absolutely amazing compared to the console version. I sincerely hope they don't have these issues again because standard controller input should not be a thing we have to worry about in 2019/2020. At least from a company this big.

11 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Yeah but everything brings positivity if it's "good".

Touché. I’m sure it won’t suck

1 hour ago, -DeucEy- said:

Not sure what it is about 343 and aiming for some reason. 

Halo 5 Forge: PC had terrible/weird mouse aiming too; I made a few posts back when H5:F came out about that specifically. Ironically though, the Controller aiming on H5:F felt absolutely amazing compared to the console version. I sincerely hope they don't have these issues again because standard controller input should not be a thing we have to worry about in 2019/2020. At least from a company this big.

343 sometimes works like indie developers. This is greater proven when with the its ready when it’s ready theme. Now idk about you but that tells me the workers aren’t or don’t have to put as much “effort” because they don’t have a specific deadline. Now in halo infinite’s case they clearly do. But it’s ready when it’s ready bullshit is something indie devs say who don’t get paid for their work(in some cases like the halo installation 04 developers that are making a fan made halo game).