CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

18 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Wanna talk about not knowing the antagonists reason for doing the thing I had 0 idea why the Didact wanted to murder the human race.

CE at least makes some mention of the covenants religion even if it isn't a deep dive into the reason for the war. 

Except the problem with this is you wouldn't know the motive of the Didact only if you didn't pay attention. But it was said, and explained, properly. You have two specific cutscenes dedicated to explaining why he does what he does. Two cutscenes. Which are something like 7-8 minutes if I recall correctly. Not counting gameplay dialogue.

On the flipside, CE making a mention of the religion means nothing when you never know their actual motive behind attacking you. It makes legitimately no sense in the context of the games, and just leaves you wondering unanswered things like "why not induct you into this mass army". Why even attack you. What's the point if they just want to activate the rings or follow a religion. What part of that religion (bar activating the Halos) has to do with exterminating you, specifically. You didn't instigate. They did. Why are you such an "affront to their gods", you didn't do anything that they're telling you of. Hell, they punish the Arbiter for your actions more than they to punish YOU for them. Why is using a human to activate the Halos in 2 done without issue, and in broad daylight, but Johnson's abduction in 3 is done behind closed doors with some random acknowledgement that it should be a secret to die with everyone else. It's only when you know from external media that the entire war's a front to prevent the religious ruse from being exposed (On the basis of humanity's significance to the Forerunners) that you understand why this never happens. But you have no idea about this problem until well after the trilogy ended when it was irrelevant. And it leaves the games disconnected until this basic piece of storytelling was eventually filled in. And in some cases leads to the games contradicting one another as they probably filled in blanks later, lol.

• Like (+1) 3

construct would be a million times better if the lifts were portals. 

1. you announce your presence trying to get up top. There's only two ways to get up top otherwise and both are covered by just watching the lifts. 

2. It takes seconds to get from bottom to top so the other team literally has time to rotate and can shoot you while you go up as well. + the rooms are nadeable + you always land in the same spot. With telepots u always come from the same spot but its not predictable and you keep your momentum so you "shoot" out in any direction or stand still. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

15 minutes ago, Boyo said:

@Cursed Lemon

Why don’t you like Construct?

Just now, Riddler said:

construct would be a million times better if the lifts were portals. 

1. you announce your presence trying to get up top. There's only two ways to get up top otherwise and both are covered by just watching the lifts. 

2. It takes seconds to get from bottom to top so the other team literally has time to rotate and can shoot you while you go up as well.

That, to start.

Construct KOTH is one of the most annoying experiences I've ever had playing Halo. An endlessly infuriating gametype in a game where I can't aim properly on a map where you need to be able to quickly hone in on people riding the lifts.

2 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

You say that like Construct was good.

Yeah I forgot to add "... and Construct wasn't even good". Through some sort of miracle it ended up working as a KOTH map but anything else, especially Slayer is a joke on that map.

Construct is just a little too much for a 4v4 slayer. They did an alright job of spacing people with the camo and power weapon spawns but really someone needs to redesign the bottom of the map and just generally trim it and put portals in place of lifts and it could be a great map. There's just a lot of dead zones/no mans land and that's also why hill plays so much better

Were there any other decent attempts at a Construct reimagining besides Orion?

3 hours ago, xboxdigger 94 said:

This forum seems very slow nowadays? Slow as in that there isn't this much activity here. Is this true?

Oh it's definitely slow nowadays...

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I had an idea today and I’m curious what people think.

The topic of laser tag came up today, and I was thinking about why I never really enjoyed it that much. I always hated how you could position yourself however you want with no consequence. You could allow yourself to eat shots if you really wanted to be in a particular spot. Getting shot meant nothing other than a brief cooldown. Also, there was no real reason to be anywhere in particular, so the game always felt random and wholly without structure.

Then I started thinking, what if when you get shot you had to go back to base to reactivate? That would fix the positioning problem, but would restrict you to symmetrical layouts and create a spawn trapping issue. 

You would love iCombat down here. iCombat is laser tag on crack. 

Your weapon is a 1:1 scale M4 rifle with modern optics. The magazine has a gas cylinder in it and when you shoot, it pushes the hammer back so you have recoil. Every 30 rounds you need to replace the magazine and cock the rifle. It's dead accurate up to 300m in daylight. 

That's not all though. You wear a "shock belt". When you get hit, it zaps you. Different levels of zap of course. 

You can take 4 hits (no cool down between them) and then you're out. 

It is legit the most fun outdoor combat activity I've ever done. Guns are dead accurate, look and feel awesome. There is incentive to not get hit (zap) and there's no need for facial protection.

Also there are spawn beacons. You walk up, press the button and you're back in. One on each team. It is seriously awesome. There's also KOTH. There's a beacon on the map that counts the seconds alive players are within the vicinity. It's great.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3

I hope you wear eye protection.  I would be nervous about a laser powerful enough to be detected out to 300m in daylight shining in my eyes.  

45 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I hope you wear eye protection.  I would be nervous about a laser powerful enough to be detected out to 300m in daylight shining in my eyes.  

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 2

I'll say no one was confused after playing CE, I suppose there were general intrigues about the greater context of some story elements but it's self contained just fine.

My first play through of Halo 4 was cooping with my brother, him and I had both read every single Halo book up until this point mind you. And I had to constantly pause and reiterate to myself what was just said in the prior cutscene so I could grasp the story better. It was both a cliche summer time sci-fi flick and also way to complex. 

I thought the Didact was a cool character though. It's too bad they killed him off in a comic in literally the SINGLE way they explicitly said he COULDN'T die from - being composed. 

• Like (+1) 1

Tempest + Bloom + Fucked mouse controls = Me jumping through window

• Like (+1) 1

Can't 343 "accidentally" delete bloom like they did with H3 ODST Firefight, CEs original sound and the last H4 DLC? 

• Like (+1) 1

Vyrst negging entire pages and being a straight up dick to people: somehow doesn't get banned

Cooper, Quietman, RandyRoflstomp, Doju, SecretSchnitzel from the shadow realm: visible confusion

• Like (+1) 3

Maybe im going crazy...... But I think the issue with the Reach aiming is a minor delay to anything you do.  Looking and firing.  There is a discernible delay that you can notice especially when the sound is off.  Just to make sure i wasn't going insane i fired up CS and Destiny 2 and did the same there.  There is no noticeable delay when moving or firing in those games.  I think console has this same issue, but with aim assist basically increasing the margin of error on controller nobody notices.

20 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Except the problem with this is you wouldn't know the motive of the Didact only if you didn't pay attention. But it was said, and explained, properly. You have two specific cutscenes dedicated to explaining why he does what he does. Two cutscenes. Which are something like 7-8 minutes if I recall correctly. Not counting gameplay dialogue.

On the flipside, CE making a mention of the religion means nothing when you never know their actual motive behind attacking you. It makes legitimately no sense in the context of the games, and just leaves you wondering unanswered things like "why not induct you into this mass army". Why even attack you. What's the point if they just want to activate the rings or follow a religion. What part of that religion (bar activating the Halos) has to do with exterminating you, specifically. You didn't instigate. They did. Why are you such an "affront to their gods", you didn't do anything that they're telling you of. Hell, they punish the Arbiter for your actions more than they to punish YOU for them. Why is using a human to activate the Halos in 2 done without issue, and in broad daylight, but Johnson's abduction in 3 is done behind closed doors with some random acknowledgement that it should be a secret to die with everyone else. It's only when you know from external media that the entire war's a front to prevent the religious ruse from being exposed (On the basis of humanity's significance to the Forerunners) that you understand why this never happens. But you have no idea about this problem until well after the trilogy ended when it was irrelevant. And it leaves the games disconnected until this basic piece of storytelling was eventually filled in. And in some cases leads to the games contradicting one another as they probably filled in blanks later, lol.

Halo 4 went like this for me - 

• oh we're fighting the covenant again? OK
  • Cortana is being weird
  • ah new enemies. Knights can teleport. Cool /s
  • Guy in a big ball has been trapped in there for a long time. He seems to be the leader of the new enemy. He tricks us into freeing him and he pretty much threw us to the side like we're a plastic toy. How will we stop him?
  • Long cutscene with a strange woman (not to mention completely random, where even are we? Where did she come from? I'm trying to figure out all this while she's explaining all this new stuff to me). "Mantle of responsibility" "Composer" ... a lot of new terms to me all at once. I understand the Didact a little more but I'm still confused about other things and feel overwhelmed with too much new information at once.
  • Scientists just exploded in front of our faces and we survived... weird
  • Didact can still throw us around but Cortana sacrifices herself to help defeat Didact. We win but at the cost of Cortana.

In CE I don't have to understand the Covenant or their religion to understand why they're attacking us. They're aliens that have their own guns and their own technology. Knowing why they are attacking us would be nice but I'm not sitting in the first mission of CE like "why is an alien race even attacking us it doesn't make sense".

We learn what they are after in bits and pieces throughout the game. We're told Halo is a super weapon, so it makes sense we want to stop them from using it. Thus, war. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Halo 4 went like this for me - 

• oh we're fighting the covenant again? OK
  • Cortana is being weird
  • ah new enemies. Knights can teleport. Cool /s
  • Guy in a big ball has been trapped in there for a long time. He seems to be the leader of the new enemy. He tricks us into freeing him and he pretty much threw us to the side like we're a plastic toy. How will we stop him?
  • Long cutscene with a strange woman (not to mention completely random, where even are we? Where did she come from? I'm trying to figure out all this while she's explaining all this new stuff to me). "Mantle of responsibility" "Composer" ... a lot of new terms to me all at once. I understand the Didact a little more but I'm still confused about other things and feel overwhelmed with too much new information at once.
  • Scientists just exploded in front of our faces and we survived... weird
  • Didact can still throw us around but Cortana sacrifices herself to help defeat Didact. We win but at the cost of Cortana.

In CE I don't have to understand the Covenant or their religion to understand why they're attacking us. They're aliens that have their own guns and their own technology. Knowing why they are attacking us would be nice but I'm not sitting in the first mission of CE like "why is an alien race even attacking us it doesn't make sense".

We learn what they are after in bits and pieces throughout the game. We're told Halo is a super weapon, so it makes sense we want to stop them from using it. Thus, war. 

But that’s not really a story, and deep down has no depth at all, especially if that’s all a player can take from that. 

22 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Then I started thinking, what if when you get shot you had to go back to base to reactivate? That would fix the positioning problem, but would restrict you to symmetrical layouts and create a spawn trapping issue. 

FYI, this is how laser tag worked at Halo Outpost Discovery. I think that there was a short spawn protection where you couldn't take damage for a few seconds after spawning, which let players get back under cover if they were quick. And I don't remember there being too much cover for players trying to advance close enough to spawn camp. Was pretty fun, definitely the most fun I've had playing laser tag.

I could be mis-remembering though, if anyone else went to HOD please feel free to correct.

• Like (+1) 1