CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I’m not even gonna play, like seriously I wanted to use my mouse, not a controller. If there’s one studio I wish had control of halo, that be blizzard. Games work, servers are amazing, and even though blizzard has changed negatively at times(don’t anyone bring up Diablo immortal I get it, I was pissed too) but they always make a comeback either way. They also would of did great for a pc port as they’d have people who have experience in that regard, more than people at 343. They’d also be able to tell how good aiming should be. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I don't, nah. They had terribly griddy aiming, and the general feel was shit. I do think 2's was worse than 1's, much more so for the ports even if the OG suffers. 

Hey, I didn't claim they were the same in any way but being shit, lmao. Halo 3's is shit, so are 1 and 2's. They're all garbage, and while they might not be the same garbage, it doesn't change them being bad, or for lack of a better term, hilariously undesirable.

0/10 - Understand people can think differently than you and don't just say shit to rile you up. I don't even care to troll you. I have no idea who you are.

Just out of curiosity, what game do you consider to have good aim curves? The only studios I routinely see referenced for doing good console aiming are Bungie, Certain Affinity, and Respawn.  Bungie did the Halo's.  Certain Affinity and Respawn are both known for using the old Halo games as a reference to replicate their own.  Titanfall's signature aiming is supposed to be a direct omage to Halo Combat Evolved. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Just out of curiosity, what game do you consider to have good aim curves? The only studios I routinely see referenced for doing good console aiming are Bungie, Certain Affinity, and Respawn.  Bungie did the Halo's.  Certain Affinity and Respawn are both known for using the old Halo games as a reference to replicate their own.  Titanfall's signature aiming is supposed to be a direct omage to Halo Combat Evolved. 

Of the Halos? Halo 4 and 2: Anniversary. Smooth-ass, buttery aiming. Same for 5's beta, which carried this over. Reach, in a stark contrast from the original trilogy was fine, I just don't prefer the original console aiming to what the former three titles did. Coincidentally done by Certain Affinity. Respawn does generally fine with their aiming systems too, pretty sure TF2's settings allowed for butternut biscuit aiming, but I highly doubt they're making aim systems as an "homage" to older games. Seems counter productive, and would want a source on that at least. Seems more fucky given the disconnect between the series and games they've made, and Bungie's.

Bungie to the former two is a weird mess. Took them four games to get something down pat. They had a weird fetish with ignoring diagonals, and despite the game's pseudo-emphasis on jumping, and verticality, opted for an insanely ass vertical sense in comparison to the horizontal. Something you were never able to change until recent times. Then you have Halo 3 and it's clusterfuck of a response curve, on top of the grid-like nature of it. I fail to see how they were any good up until their final title. Hell, the MCC fixes for it kinda speaks volumes, lol. Given that was implemented based on tons of player feedback telling them that 4 and 2A's aiming was leagues ahead of the main three games in terms of feel and responsiveness. Not to fall into the fallacious appeal to popularity, but if tons of people were giving feedback that the older aiming was outright a detriment to gameplay, and 343i dedicated specific resources to porting in this change, I don't think the system's as good as one would claim. Preference to it is something else entirely, however.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

H1 & H2 aiming = "trashfire"

Reach aiming = "fine"

You're getting somewhere between appendix and pelvic spur. Make useful posts.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Of the Halos? Halo 4 and 2: Anniversary. Smooth-ass, buttery aiming.

I can wholeheartedly agree with these two.

58 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

You're getting somewhere between appendix and pelvic spur. Make useful posts.

You should stop thinking that presenting a well thought out and written discussion means that people will read and respond to it.

• Thonking (+0) 1

3 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Of the Halos? Halo 4 and 2: Anniversary. Smooth-ass, buttery aiming. Same for 5's beta, which carried this over. Reach, in a stark contrast from the original trilogy was fine, I just don't prefer the original console aiming to what the former three titles did. Coincidentally done by Certain Affinity. Respawn does generally fine with their aiming systems too, pretty sure TF2's settings allowed for butternut biscuit aiming, but I highly doubt they're making aim systems as an "homage" to older games. Seems counter productive, and would want a source on that at least. Seems more fucky given the disconnect between the series and games they've made, and Bungie's.

Bungie to the former two is a weird mess. Took them four games to get something down pat. They had a weird fetish with ignoring diagonals, and despite the game's pseudo-emphasis on jumping, and verticality, opted for an insanely ass vertical sense in comparison to the horizontal. Something you were never able to change until recent times. Then you have Halo 3 and it's clusterfuck of a response curve, on top of the grid-like nature of it. I fail to see how they were any good up until their final title. Hell, the MCC fixes for it kinda speaks volumes, lol. Given that was implemented based on tons of player feedback telling them that 4 and 2A's aiming was leagues ahead of the main three games in terms of feel and responsiveness. Not to fall into the fallacious appeal to popularity, but if tons of people were giving feedback that the older aiming was outright a detriment to gameplay, and 343i dedicated specific resources to porting in this change, I don't think the system's as good as one would claim. Preference to it is something else entirely, however.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/293282/Designer_Interview_Getting_Titanfalls_controls_just_right.php

This article talks about a number of things, you can find what I'm referring to in there. I'll also say on a more anecdotal note there's a lot of conversations I've had with engineers about building console aiming and Halo 1 and 2 are basically always the gold standard. 

343 have a 0% W/R with PC mouse controls.

H5F was shit, Halo Online was shit (until modders worked it), and the current Reach PC mouse controls are shit. (Also the controller aim assist is fucking stupidly strong, the game is hilariously easy with a controller plugged in.)

Image result for how many times have we gotta teach you this lesson old man

• Like (+1) 1

Here's all the ranks in the current MCC insider build in case anybody is wondering. Looks to be 10 tiers(the shields) and you have to go through those to get to the bottom rank. Looks like it'll take a while to hit max rank which is good (assuming this all stays the same)

Spoiler

kfN3P42.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, adamisgood said:

Here's all the ranks in the current MCC insider build in case anybody is wondering. Looks to be 10 tiers(the shields) and you have to go through those to get to the bottom rank. Looks like it'll take a while to hit max rank which is good (assuming this all stays the same)

Hide contents

kfN3P42.png

Is this for xbox 1 also?

3 hours ago, adamisgood said:

Reveal hidden contents

kfN3P42.png

I hate this grinding shit, just let me unlock things with achievements. Just like how MCC originally handled everything.

I see some talk about aiming and I'd love to see what you guys think about this? 

596ce46c67509d2f308d9d1ab234c241.png

Did this age well AT ALL?

"Yes, close-range might feel a little bit harder to control at first, but in the long run, you will all learn to adjust to it for the better. " ahahaha

PPL still say h5 aim is messed up and I have a feeling it's all down to this post. He even acknowledges H5 beta having different aiming. i didn't have a problem with the beta, but H5's final aiming is trash

• Like (+1) 2

Everyone remembers Squirrel Boy.

That upvote count can go straight to hell.

EDIT: I said somewhere in the proximity of that post that if anyone could find any instance on the entire internet of someone complaining about the beta aiming, I'd eat Ghost's hat. He posted a Waypoint thread with about six replies, and everyone had a nice laugh about it.

Not so funny now, is it chucklefucks

• Upvote (+1) 2

H4 and H2A aiming also feel good because every gun in those games are piss easy in comparison 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Arlong said:

I’m not even gonna play, like seriously I wanted to use my mouse, not a controller. If there’s one studio I wish had control of halo, that be blizzard. Games work, servers are amazing, and even though blizzard has changed negatively at times(don’t anyone bring up Diablo immortal I get it, I was pissed too) but they always make a comeback either way. They also would of did great for a pc port as they’d have people who have experience in that regard, more than people at 343. They’d also be able to tell how good aiming should be. 

Ya generally what you want is the attention to detail/polish that Blizzard will provide. They're not perfect but the only dev I can think of that can compete in that department off the top of my head is bungie. They both may make a shitty game or something you just don't like but you best believe it will work and if it doesn't the hotfix is inc usually before you even know there's a problem. A lot of devs like 343 or even bigger/popular ones like bethesda/rockstar could really take some tips. You'd never get something like MCC from either of those two

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, znot said:

I see some talk about aiming and I'd love to see what you guys think about this? 

596ce46c67509d2f308d9d1ab234c241.png

Did this age well AT ALL?

"Yes, close-range might feel a little bit harder to control at first, but in the long run, you will all learn to adjust to it for the better. " ahahaha

PPL still say h5 aim is messed up and I have a feeling it's all down to this post. He even acknowledges H5 beta having different aiming. i didn't have a problem with the beta, but H5's final aiming is trash

Thing is, according to 343 you only have to set your acceleration to 2 and you will have "exactly the same settings as the H5 beta". We all know that's not true and it's just more evidence that 343 has no idea what they're doing. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

Ya generally what you want is the attention to detail/polish that Blizzard will provide. They're not perfect but the only dev I can think of that can compete in that department off the top of my head is bungie. They both may make a shitty game or something you just don't like but you best believe it will work and if it doesn't the hotfix is inc usually before you even know there's a problem. A lot of devs like 343 or even bigger/popular ones like bethesda/rockstar could really take some tips. You'd never get something like MCC from either of those two

Exactly. Just because a studio makes a game I don’t like id never say they’re bad. I wouldn’t even say that about 343, if it wasn’t for issues in mcc & h5. Servers, netcode, hit reg, aiming. Every time 343 fixes something it takes weeks or months to fix, and a lot of times their updates fuck something up. The worse part is usually the thing that broke this time is a major noticeable issue. Why can’t something break that’s not game breaking for once? Look I get it, game development is tough, but when I as a consumer can look at companies like respawn, epic games, blizzard, etc and see when a major bug or issue(servers, hit reg)  happens and it gets fixed near instantly then something is wrong here. If you’re a triple A company, there’s a STANDARD! I expect a nba basketball player to play very good, especially compared to a middle schooler, why?  Because there’s a STANDARD. When EXPECTATIONS are not met,  out rage is bound to occur.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Basu said:

Thing is, according to 343 you only have to set your acceleration to 2 and you will have "exactly the same settings as the H5 beta". We all know that's not true and it's just more evidence that 343 has no idea what they're doing. 

I honesltly think ghost and team were trying to replicate h3's classic aiming, ya know how you cant aim diagonally and it's a bit wonky. And instead we got H5 heavy aim...

That's the impression I always got.

As expected Invasion is total dogshit. Zero bloom or go home. Also doesn't help that we're STILL getting 5v6 games 5 years later lmao.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Shekkles said:

You should stop thinking that presenting a well thought out and written discussion means that people will read and respond to it.

I don't really care if people respond or read, it's whatever in that case. It's the constant jabs and useless mocking posts that do nothing that irk me. More so when I don't initiate it.

13 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/293282/Designer_Interview_Getting_Titanfalls_controls_just_right.php

This article talks about a number of things, you can find what I'm referring to in there. I'll also say on a more anecdotal note there's a lot of conversations I've had with engineers about building console aiming and Halo 1 and 2 are basically always the gold standard. 

Eh, read the post and I don't see where they say they built aiming around CE. Only that they took aim assist properties from it into consideration for engagements. The two of which are wildly different. And yeah, latter's anecdotal. As far as I'm concerned from an end user result, they're far from gold.

• Upvote (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I don't really care if people respond or read, it's whatever in that case. It's the constant jabs and useless mocking posts that do nothing that irk me. More so when I don't initiate it.

Useless is definitely the correct word.

I would say they are the gold standard. Not because I can point out particular aspects that made them so good but more so because when I started to play the games I just didn't think about it. It just worked. It didn't fight me. H3 onward was when I started asking questions about why certain things felt weird or unnatural. If you can create an aiming system where you just start playing the game and never think about it again you've won. That's everything you could hope for as someone designing it

• Like (+1) 2

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all. 

That’s an interesting concept but not true when you’ve done wrong in the past.