CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

8 hours ago, Nokt said:

I can't believe they made Halo 2 MP with four people. Redefined gaming forever with four people.

• Like (+1) 1

I forget their names but I like this Beach BTB map a lot more than the snow one. First time playing either of them.

1 hour ago, Basu said:

Interesting! Any other quirks you found? I feel like melee lunge is just insane in this build, I'm getting hit around corners regularly. 

Just typical Reach stuff. Getting shot still pulls your reticle toward the guy shooting you, getting hit with the sniper throws your cursor away, etc. Shot registration seems to be identical to the original game, bullets clipping through corners and all.

9 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

You only need 1 person in charge with the right vision and you can do anything. These massive studios like 343 with a dozen people just doing sandbox balancing, a dozen more doing player mechanics, and a score past that handling the maps are just shooting themselves in the foot. That's not how you deliver a focused vision. 

Agreed 100%. Every great game-changing multiplayer has been developed by small scale, focused teams with a unified vision. 

Giant corporate boards designing games based on player focus groups and market data ruin their own product. Not to make it political or anything, but this is how capitalism erodes quality over time; the motive to maximize profit at all costs tends to conflict with maximizing quality. This is true especially for video games. 

We are in late-stage gaming, boys. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Basu said:

Interesting! Any other quirks you found? I feel like melee lunge is just insane in this build, I'm getting hit around corners regularly. 

What FoV are you playing on? Having it too high will stretch your game depth wise and make it feel like people are meleeing you from further away than they actually are, I'd recommend anywhere from 90 to 105 maximum, if you're in that range I'm not sure what else it could be as I don't have access to the flight. FoV also affects a bunch of other stuff too like your ability to react to incoming grenades, your ability to hit precise shots at a distance, and makes it feel like you're moving way faster than you are which can lead you to just W key everywhere or position yourself badly. I'm not saying this stuff to you directly as you may already know some of this, it's just for anyone who cares, and I'll be playing on 100 FoV as I did in Halo Online which seemed to be a pretty good sweet spot.

@MultiLockOn

How common is it for map designers to create maps before base player traits are locked down?  The Halo 5 GDC talked about how they really liked boost jump but maps were too far along to accommodate it.  That seems bonkers to me.  

14 minutes ago, Boyo said:

@MultiLockOn

How common is it for map designers to create maps before base player traits are locked down?  The Halo 5 GDC talked about how they really liked boost jump but maps were too far along to accommodate it.  That seems bonkers to me.  

Every development is different. I've worked on games where core mechanics were being changed like 2 months before launch. Sometimes it's down to the wire and things out of your control are being changed and there's nothing you can do to your level besides just bandaid it to make it work. With a smart team that isn't an issue obv, the mechanics should be locked down asap

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sitri said:

Getting shot still pulls your reticle toward the guy shooting you, getting hit with the sniper throws your cursor away, etc.

Hey, no reason to play that game then, lmao.

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

You only need 1 person in charge with the right vision and you can do anything. These massive studios like 343 with a dozen people just doing sandbox balancing, a dozen more doing player mechanics, and a score past that handling the maps are just shooting themselves in the foot. That's not how you deliver a focused vision. 

Does 343 even have that many people doing maps? It seemed like Bedoya was the only guy we ever saw or heard from when map details were being discussed for Halo 5, whether it was vidocs or written bulletins. (And there was no shortage of random studio employees being paraded around in those Sprint videos.) That's funny in of itself, having a team of 20 people spend eons in their little war room fingerfucking the nuts and bolts of which silly movement/thrust mechanics they MODERN GAMERZ want and whether they make some guy from a focus group FEEL LIKE A SPARTAN, then only having one guy responsible for putting 15 maps together to accommodate the settings they eventually decide on, mere months out from launch. Brilliant.

I feel like multiplayer map design would be one area where you might want one or two extra people if you have the budget for it, just to get some variety in there. Everybody has their own style, and during a development crunch one guy in charge of all the maps might be prone to falling back on the same two or three tricks to tie his maps together and get them done in time. It certainly happened with Halo 5. Empire, Truth, Rig, Fathom, and Coliseum plus remixes all feel like the same map copied and pasted over and over again.

• Fire (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Does 343 even have that many people doing maps? It seemed like Bedoya was the only guy we ever saw or heard from when map details were being discussed for Halo 5, whether it was vidocs or written bulletins. (And there was no shortage of random studio employees being paraded around in those Sprint videos.) That's funny in of itself, having a team of 20 people spend eons in their little war room fingerfucking the nuts and bolts of which silly movement/thrust mechanics they MODERN GAMERZ want and whether they make some guy from a focus group FEEL LIKE A SPARTAN, then only having one guy responsible for putting 15 maps together to accommodate the settings they eventually decide on, mere months out from launch. Brilliant.

I feel like multiplayer map design would be one area where you might want one or two extra people if you have the budget for it, just to get some variety in there. Everybody has their own style, and during a development crunch one guy in charge of all the maps might be prone to falling back on the same two or three tricks to tie his maps together and get them done in time. It certainly happened with Halo 5. Empire, Truth, Rig, Fathom, and Coliseum plus remixes all feel like the same map copied and pasted over and over again.

They've got 5 or 6 mp level designers there I believe, plus several outsource studios helping. 

Again I don't have a problem with big studios but you need solid leadership. Miyazaki is the head of fromsoft and they have hundreds of people working on the dark souls franchise but it's pretty obvious he runs the whole operation tight. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

I thought god was the person giving the vision

:simms:

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Nothing makes me happier than a Hyena upload day

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I thought god was the person giving the vision

:simms:

He is :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

2 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

He is :)

tenor.gif

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mow said:

What FoV are you playing on? Having it too high will stretch your game depth wise and make it feel like people are meleeing you from further away than they actually are, I'd recommend anywhere from 90 to 105 maximum, if you're in that range I'm not sure what else it could be as I don't have access to the flight. FoV also affects a bunch of other stuff too like your ability to react to incoming grenades, your ability to hit precise shots at a distance, and makes it feel like you're moving way faster than you are which can lead you to just W key everywhere or position yourself badly. I'm not saying this stuff to you directly as you may already know some of this, it's just for anyone who cares, and I'll be playing on 100 FoV as I did in Halo Online which seemed to be a pretty good sweet spot.

I was at 90 then later increased to 100, you might be on to something. Obviously there's also latency issues given that the player base is tiny and the servers are always ar least 10000 kilometers away. I don't remember getting superman lunged around a corner in OG Reach though. 

The servers were so much worse on XB1. I haven't had a high ping game yet. 

I'm seriously itching to play Creek, Damy, Sanc, Nexus and Oasis

• Like (+1) 1

Plug a controller in, makes the game hilariously easy. The aim assist verges on practically aiming for you, its fucking ridiculous. 

So the mouse aiming kinda sucks balls at the moment, they need to do more flights to ensure that they get it right or else the game will be dead within a month. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

So the mouse aiming kinda sucks balls at the moment, they need to do more flights to ensure that they get it right or else the game will be dead within a month. 

Sorry, this is the last one. :)