CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Hello all, haven't paid attention to anything Halo related since after Halo 5 came out. Found out a few weeks ago MCC was coming to PC which has peaked my interest a bit.

But....

Should I be interested? I gave up on MCC a long time ago, and decided Halo 5 wasn't for me after the Beta. I have little to no faith MCC won't just be a buggy mess like it was before. But I also haven't paid attention to jack shit for 4 years so I'm also talking out of my ass a bit, I don't know what I'm talking about anymore. I made a post on Reddit, but then I remembered this place and thought I'd probably get a better opinion here. I used to be highly invested in this community so it would be nice to have a reason to play Halo again and I'm not buying a XB1 again. My cat pissed on mine like 3 years ago and I just took that as a sign to save up for a PC instead.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Eh, each game is $15, not really much to lose if it turns out to be doodoo, and on steam it means there's actually refunds available. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jmacz said:

Hello all, haven't paid attention to anything Halo related since after Halo 5 came out. Found out a few weeks ago MCC was coming to PC which has peaked my interest a bit.

But....

Should I be interested? I gave up on MCC a long time ago, and decided Halo 5 wasn't for me after the Beta. I have little to no faith MCC won't just be a buggy mess like it was before. But I also haven't paid attention to jack shit for 4 years so I'm also talking out of my ass a bit, I don't know what I'm talking about anymore. I made a post on Reddit, but then I remembered this place and thought I'd probably get a better opinion here. I used to be highly invested in this community so it would be nice to have a reason to play Halo again and I'm not buying a XB1 again. My cat pissed on mine like 3 years ago and I just took that as a sign to save up for a PC instead.

The games are being released in chronological order (Reach > CE > 2 > 3/ODST > 4). Sold individually.

Reach has been in public testing for a while now with lots of delays and shuffles. I believe we've only seen one campaign mission and Firefight on PC builds, a little bit of multiplayer on console.

Plenty to be excited about in theory but the flighting seems never-ending and there's no release date in site. Infinite only makes things more complicated.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 10/25/2019 at 2:14 PM, Infinity said:

The games are being released in chronological order (Reach > CE > 2 > 3/ODST > 4). Sold individually.

Reach has been in public testing for a while now with lots of delays and shuffles. I believe we've only seen one campaign mission and Firefight on PC builds, a little bit of multiplayer on console.

Plenty to be excited about in theory but the flighting seems never-ending and there's no release date in site. Infinite only makes things more complicated.

The flight that started today is the last planned one so all goes well the game should launch before the end of the year

Also the latest flight started today, you wouldn't know because only Postums twitter actually posts anything about it, and they wonder why the participation isn't higher.

1 hour ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

The flight that started today is the last planned one so all goes well the game should launch before the end of the year

Also the latest flight started today, you wouldn't know because only Postums twitter actually posts anything about it, and they wonder why the participation isn't higher.

And the emails are sent directly to your spam box.

Goodbye forever, shitty console Reach.

Although, I'm going to lose my mind if there's some kind of shitty heavy aim on the PC version.

EDIT: Ooh, there's a "center crosshair" option".

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Goodbye forever, shitty console Reach.

Although, I'm going to lose my mind if there's some kind of shitty heavy aim on the PC version.

EDIT: Ooh, there's a "center crosshair" option".

The snipe still has aimpunch and there's still gross amounts of melee lunge.

Wow, I just had a revelation.

The quality of strafe in an FPS has a huge  effect on how the aiming feels, as aiming is a conjunction between reticle movement and player movement. The Reach strafe is pure sludge and it significantly effects my ability to snap onto targets, even on PC.

• Like (+1) 1

I had no idea there was another flight going on until I just happened to look at my email for something that had nothing to do with Halo.

3 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Wow, I just had a revelation.

The quality of strafe in an FPS has a huge  effect on how the aiming feels, as aiming is a conjunction between reticle movement and player movement. The Reach strafe is pure sludge and it significantly effects my ability to snap onto targets, even on PC.

Yeah that is something people don't realize, you may have to adjust your sensitivity to compensate. 

First impressions of Reach PC:

• Game looks better than H5 by a mile. Not even funny how good this game looks without sub 720p resolution 30 FPS cap and three metric tons of grain filter and motion blur.
  • Netcode is still ass, might be high latency though.
  • You can't hide/disable text chat in-game (LUL 343) and the text box is massive and honestly not very well designed. Also in typical MCC fashion you can hear people while searching/in the lobby/map loading but can't mute them. How the fuck is this still not fixed?
  • AR starts are still a thing.
  • I seriously hope they revise their stance on "bloom is an integral part of Halo Reach" because it's still the worst thing ever and it's 10 times worse with a mouse. You cannot fathom how clunky it is to be in a DMR 1v1 without aim assist and both players are just rolling the dice on their weapons. I'd prefer Needle Rifle starts at this point. You can cater to PC players with FOV sliders, unlocked FPS, key bindings all you want, having such a skill-free nonsense mechanic in a game and especially the first real Halo game on PC in over a decade will not go over well with the PC crowd. These people are used to snappy controls and accurate weapons, not rolling dice with every press of M1.
  • Like (+1) 4

Also is this real life, transparent party matching in a 343 game?

partymatch.png

7 hours ago, Mow said:

Yeah that is something people don't realize, you may have to adjust your sensitivity to compensate. 

I realized it after playing so much Apex Legends, which has a near instant strafe. It's SO much easier to sway your reticule because you don't have strafe acceleration changing the momentum of your crosshair.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I am honestly just not sure why they changed the movement after Halo 2.  Halo 2 got it right.  The ONLY addition to the movement that I like post-H2 is the ability to be strafing then crouch at the same time, instead of being forced to straighten your stick first.  

Also, why do console devs insist on defaulting vsync on when porting games to PC?  Aiming felt laggy and that was why.  And yeah, bloom can die in a fire.  They really just need to get rid of it entirely.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wait, you guys don't like pAcInG yOuR sHoTs? Every time they try to raise the skill ceiling stupid noobs have to complain...

• Like (+1) 1

Guys I just unironically had fun playing Reach HC on insider, matched against Vetoed and Batchford and had some pretty close games. That playlist might be the saving grace for this collection outside of the possibility of future Goldpro customs.

• Like (+1) 3

Is there some sort of push to talk option for mics? Also I don't know if it's just experience but this plays 100x better on a controller for me.

Just now, Jake Teh Nub said:

Is there some sort of push to talk option for mics? Also I don't know if it's just experience but this plays 100x better on a controller for me.

Same for me. I play PC games almost exclusively nowadays so I'm not that garbage with a mouse but I can't hit shit with the DMR using a mouse. It's like they turned on negative bullet mag because it feels like shooting teammates.

8 minutes ago, Basu said:

Same for me. I play PC games almost exclusively nowadays so I'm not that garbage with a mouse but I can't hit shit with the DMR using a mouse. It's like they turned on negative bullet mag because it feels like shooting teammates.

I was in a custom lobby earlier testing everything, and you definitely get bullet mag on people even with a mouse. It's the actual act of moving the cursor that feels bad.

Aiming with the mouse doesn't feel right and I can't tell if it's because of the lack of raw input or the strafe.  Actually the more I play it it feels like a mouse smoothing issue, there's probably something broken with the settings.

1 minute ago, Sitri said:

I was in a custom lobby earlier testing everything, and you definitely get bullet mag on people even with a mouse. It's the actual act of moving the cursor that feels bad.

Interesting! Any other quirks you found? I feel like melee lunge is just insane in this build, I'm getting hit around corners regularly.