CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

4 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I don't really take issue with the rest, bar this. Because, whether or not I like it has nothing to do with whether or not the rest of the market takes to it. Which is what would tend to (Big airquotes) define where the franchise goes. I'm in a variable minority saying I like Halo 5. It sure wouldn't affect Infinite, if likes alone were to change game development. I find this to be a big stretch.

Yeah fair enough. My exaggeration comes from fatigue. I just want them to make a refined version of what we had before not change the whole damn thing every damn time.

• Like (+1) 2

Since it's not noted real well here are the results of the TB  map voting:

1. midship

2. chill out

3. prisoner

4. sancutary

5. Lockout/Hang em high

7. Warlock/Damnation

9th. Guardian/headlong/battle creek/foundry

12. Relic/turf/Beaver creek/wizard

16. Derelict/battle canyon/blood gulch/burial mounds

24th. is missing from the interwebs. damn

Skipping to last place:

breakpoint, paradiso, vortex, uplift, erosion, meltdown, geophyprobia, infinity, the cage, shatter, blackout, complex, chiron, harvest, landfall. 

Noteable that backwash isn't the worst map of all time, beating out breakpoint. 

26 minutes ago, Riddler said:

1. hard to see stuff... ur just not familiar with the game, you could say the same of halo2/3/reach its like the same really. If you do lan, I can understand this because you'll be playing 480i and its hard for me sometimes but do realize people actually try to make themselves hard to see since awareness is a big part of the ce skillgap.

2. you don't have to spawn in front of the enemy. it's up to your teammate to decide to give you a safe spawn or not. you could play a whole game of damnation and not spawn in front of the enemy if you and your teammate really wanted to, however it is beneficial to spawn in front of them given the situation. It just creates so many RPS situations which is why its loved by many people. Have you never played final boss on halo 3 pit or narrows? Spawn back cannon, sniped. spawn flag next, sniped. Spawn stage, sniped. Spawn cannon, sniped. And you can't do shit about it. In ce? you can get shit spawns all you want but your team is choosing either a random spawn or a verified spawn. 

3. this is far subjective but it is what it is. however saying other games dont have good camo is just a lie. halo 3 camo is just as good. if you could see it so easily, people wouldn't sacrifice top control to try and pick it up on construct in h3. halo2, yes it's a piece of shit that isnt even picked up. If you stuck camo on narrows for example, you're not going to see him sitting top mauler spawn topmid. I would say halo 3 camo is always better because its much harder to see up close than CE's and far away they're both good enough. And the one on construct lasts 60seconds where as it only lasts 45seconds for CE.  Aside from derelict, you can get a powerup/weapon of your choice. The advantageous team will likely get the one they want (such as rockets on chillout), but the losers still can choose to pick up camo or OS or just bum rush rockets if they think they can pull a cheeky kill. h3 has the same OS and even worse weapons. A common complaint is that only the main weapon is used, and CE's meta means it has the most diverse weapon pool till halo 5 where its tied. I know there are people who just want to play halo 3 amplified/midship 11x over narrows, pit, con, etc, but realize these have a lower skill meta even if fun. halo reach's is just as hard to see when standing still, even harder to see closeup than CE but you do become uncamo'd when you move. halo 5 camo is also predator. it's really on halo 2 camo which you can "see."  

4. yeah... eh it does provide some skill gap but it's not really a skill people are proud of. 

5. i think you're just getting bullied in MM. every1 at a high level has that one map they'd rather skill but the maps themselves but they generally do better than h2/h3 maps as a whole in "pick the best map tournaments." just btw for TB, midship is 1st, chilly is 2nd, pris is 3rd, then sanc. lockout is top 8 and we us vocal members hate Lockout. 

Sanctuary will always be my favorite halo map. I mostly just hate prisoner to be fair. Damnnation isn’t my favorite but I don’t hate it, everything else is chill.

9 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Yeah well I love running. Running helped me out of anxiety issues and helped me lose weight. I've only been doing it for 10 months and I've done two half marathons.

You should try running. Go and run a 5K right now. Go do a parkrun with dozens of other people. Why won't you do it? It's easy to find people, just go to parkrun.com. Why don't you just do it? It's so good. Why not travel 1.5 hours to go for your nearest parkrun. I just showed you the website, it's easy.

Now think about your reaction to what I just wrote and you'll start to understand where he's coming from. Also he didn't lie, he didn't realise he was able to find a local LAN so easily. But now that he does know it's not like he's going to immediately make plans to do it because some forumer said it's good in the same way you're not going to run 5K just because I said it's good.

yeah this analogy is bad because I never said "I would run if I could find people to run with" and the driving/"playing" time isn't exactly 1:1 in the scenario. but if I said that and I planned to run for 11hours then the advice is solid though. and if told you I'd really like to run with people but I don't want to run with parkrun.com because they could be weird... Well this is where my analysis falls a part because this is just illogical

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Sanctuary will always be my favorite halo map. I mostly just hate prisoner to be fair. Damnnation isn’t my favorite but I don’t hate it, everything else is chill.

you are going to get spawn killed on prisoner but its 1/7 maps. all 7 offer something different. Whereas in halo3 amp/ons/heretic are the same thing that makes up 4/11 maps. And I used narrows as an example, but amp/ons are an example where spawn killing is more prevalent than prisoner. I think onslaught being the best in the series for that.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Yeah well I love running. Running helped me out of anxiety issues and helped me lose weight. I've only been doing it for 10 months and I've done two half marathons.

You should try running. Go and run a 5K right now. Go do a parkrun with dozens of other people. Why won't you do it? It's easy to find people, just go to parkrun.com. Why don't you just do it? It's so good. Why not travel 1.5 hours to go for your nearest parkrun. I just showed you the website, it's easy.

Now think about your reaction to what I just wrote and you'll start to understand where he's coming from. Also he didn't lie, he didn't realise he was able to find a local LAN so easily. But now that he does know it's not like he's going to immediately make plans to do it because some forumer said it's good in the same way you're not going to run 5K just because I said it's good.

I actually appreciate this, I’m not against lanning heck’s I’ve done this with friends many times on other games(smash bro’s for example)  but that’s with people I feel comfortable with. like do people really lan with randoms outside some event? Like Sure back in those CE days sure, but that’s because h1 was the shit in the day. But once h2 came out with online MP people did that less. I know for sure I wouldn’t just run with a bunch of random people unless it was a marathon or maybe one of those gym runs with the physical trainer. And tbh this park run sounds kinda nice. Be tough to get people out here I bet since it’s fall/winter time but I see some teens go for runs sometimes. 

8 minutes ago, Riddler said:

yeah this analogy is bad because I never said "I would run if I could find people to run with" and the driving/"playing" time isn't exactly 1:1 in the scenario. but if I said that and I planned to run for 11hours then the advice is solid though. and if told you I'd really like to run with people but I don't want to run with parkrun.com because they could be weird... Well this is where my analysis falls a part because this is just illogical

The point I meant to convey is that you are asking someone to go out of their comfort zone to meet new people. Just because you enjoy it, doesn't meant it's automatic others will. Even if they enjoy it, they need to ease into it and strongarming them won't help.

If that is not the point I actually conveyed then that's on me for not wording it appropriately.

6 minutes ago, Riddler said:

you are going to get spawn killed on prisoner but its 1/7 maps. all 7 offer something different. Whereas in halo3 amp/ons/heretic are the same thing that makes up 4/11 maps. And I used narrows as an example, but amp/ons are an example where spawn killing is more prevalent than prisoner. I think onslaught being the best in the series for that.

Dude I’ve never been spawn killed in those maps the way I’m spawn killed in CE. Maybe it’s the TTK of the pistol. It’s too quick if someone gets a perfect. But In a 4v4 environment it’s usually hard to do 5x spawn kill in a row like people do in CE. 

1 minute ago, Shekkles said:

The point I meant to convey is that you are asking someone to go out of their comfort zone to meet new people. Just because you enjoy it, doesn't meant it's automatic others will. Even if they enjoy it, they need to ease into it and strongarming them won't help.

If that is not the point I actually conveyed then that's on me for not wording it appropriately.

I still think you're missing what I said too which is why we are misunderstanding each other. I understand the sentiment/anxiety of meeting new people, but when one says they want to/would LAN... well that requires meeting people. So it's a paradox of sorts.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I mean I literally signed up and emailed one guy today so if he can get a thing going I guess I’ll be down, sure hope I’ll like it because I hate splitscreen a lot. Like a lot lot. 

• Fire (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Riddler said:

I still think you're missing what I said too which is why we are misunderstanding each other. I understand the sentiment/anxiety of meeting new people, but when one says they want to/would LAN... well that requires meeting people. So it's a paradox of sorts.

Ah yeah I getcha. That's on me for misreading what you wrote.

1 minute ago, Arlong said:

I mean I literally signed up and emailed one guy today so if he can get a thing going I guess I’ll be down, sure hope I’ll like it because I hate splitscreen a lot. Like a lot lot. 

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Dude I’ve never been spawn killed in those maps the way I’m spawn killed in CE. Maybe it’s the TTK of the pistol. It’s too quick if someone gets a perfect. But In a 4v4 environment it’s usually hard to do 5x spawn kill in a row like people do in CE. 

not meaning to flame but it's because you're inexperienced. If i put both my grandmas and grandpas vs final boss on onslaught, they're going to get spawn killed omega hard. You know how to fight vs people off spawn so it's not terrible. You try to get someone weak so your teammate can finish them off and you can break the setup. But even pros can fall into an extended trap. Same goes for CE basically, except the alive teammate wants to protect your spawn and I'm guessing the people you play with dont give a shit. 

just watch the kill feed. it is time stamped to 2minutes something 

also this vid from 2009

vs our very own @Knighty Knight you can skip to the last 20seconds if you want to see brain dead spawn killing situation. killed em on B, where they gunna spawn? 100% chance of A. 

since everything is twitch vods nowadays its old footage in the search results. but people are better at spawn killing now than ever. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Arlong said:

only advice is to go in with an open mind and try to have fun. there will be things you find frustrating just focus on your next move instead of what just happened. They're going to tell you "watch my screen" at least 50x during this lan since you probably aren't used to watching 2 screens at once. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Riddler said:

only advice is to go in with an open mind and try to have fun. there will be things you find frustrating just focus on your next move instead of what just happened. They're going to tell you "watch my screen" at least 50x during this lan since you probably aren't used to watching 2 screens at once. 

I like to think of the second screen as a radar.

16 minutes ago, Riddler said:

not meaning to flame but it's because you're inexperienced. If i put both my grandmas and grandpas vs final boss on onslaught, they're going to get spawn killed omega hard. You know how to fight vs people off spawn so it's not terrible. You try to get someone weak so your teammate can finish them off and you can break the setup. But even pros can fall into an extended trap. Same goes for CE basically, except the alive teammate wants to protect your spawn and I'm guessing the people you play with dont give a shit. 

just watch the kill feed. it is time stamped to 2minutes something 

also this vid from 2009

vs our very own @Knighty Knight 

since everything is twitch vods nowadays its old footage in the search results. but people are better at spawn killing now than ever. 

I mean I know how to do it I’m very experienced where I know the spawns and everything on h3, it’s just I’m usually able to do something about it. Perhaps the TTK is too quick in CE. 0.6 seconds is too fast, and isn’t justified because of skill. This is why the perfect TTK of halos main precision weapon should be .9,1, or 1.1 seconds.

17 minutes ago, Riddler said:

Gosh it’s probably my main reason I don’t want to lan the game, but I’ll deal with it only if I enjoy myself. 

The perfect TTK might be .6, but the avg is probably around 1.2

26 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

The perfect TTK might be .6, but the avg is probably around 1.2

That’s not the point I was making, when someone spawns they aren’t moving so no strafe is causing them bullets to miss. And that’s pretty quick considering it’s the average. 

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

I mean I know how to do it I’m very experienced where I know the spawns and everything on h3, it’s just I’m usually able to do something about it. Perhaps the TTK is too quick in CE. 0.6 seconds is too fast, and isn’t justified because of skill. This is why the perfect TTK of halos main precision weapon should be .9,1, or 1.1 seconds.

the TTK opens up more possibilities and ability to make great plays. 3'ing the rocket dude as he unclocks to rocket you is something you can't do in the later halos. in the later halos you're forced to just give in to a sniper. you just pray ur shots hit so he descopes then he backs down because ttk is too long. you can't kill someone in any game with a peak snipe but at least they cant just sit in the open trying to line up a shot in ce.

nick said the average ttk is longer, but when it's 2 people shooting it shortens that average, especially when u can't stafe both opponents because they're 90 degrees apart. That said the ttk of 2 people shooting you in halo 3 is .5seconds. you can get 1 shot off if the opponent is on their game. like 2:15 first vid, dude fires one shot before he dies. and the vid is online so shots not regging and random spread are keeping people up. I play both games and imo onslaught wins for spawn killing. It might just be your inexperienced making you feel more helpless in ce vs your hundreds of h3 games played. 

But for pris, usually you don't hard commit to a side so you can't teamshoot all the time. like obviously you cover center mid but u dont have to spawn your teammate there and even when you random theres that's soft covered and not hard looking... most of the time again. bottom spawns are safe, back wall is only covered by 1 dude and os 2 is only covered by 1 dude, and elbow/red2 is pretty safe. meanwhile on onslaught you either spawn level 1 or level 2 of A/B wall. top mid can cover every spawn and top box covers 3/4 of them and you can grenade the last one. And then when you know they just died B and are going to spawn A, you can cover 2/2 spawns at the same time and if they spawn lower level its going to take some time for them to pull their reticle all the way up to hit u on the box where ur a head glitching mofo anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Arlong said:

1, graphics, I can acknowledge this is probably my worse reason but I feel it looks terrible especially for today’s standards, it’s hard to see certain areas and what not, heck’s even on mcc which gives it that 1080p resolution and idk about 4K since I don’t own an s or x.

2. Gameplay I mostly hate the spawn system because I’m constantly spawning in the eyes of my opponent and just because you can control where you’ll spawn just isn’t good to me, to justify that type of spawning.

3. Abilities, the game is super reliant on the power ups, now this isn’t completely horrible, but I kinda hate that part, because well camo isn’t seeable in anyway in that game at least other halos added a blur. And os is too op. 
4. Jumping I think this is self explanatory. 
5. The maps. 

I just want to say, In order to protect what most assuredly is special about CE as an experience, it's easy to go too far. Call it the law of hyper-correction.

So, yeah, spawning in the middle of prisoner is stupid. Randoms are fundamentally stupid. The idea of direct upgrades on map, especially to the over rewarding degree of rockets and camo, is stupid. The maps are generally bad (with exception) and only work because of the pistol. Systems within the game like bullet sway and the spawning logic are almost impossible to decipher without a wiki, and that's stupid. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

• Like (+1) 1

I really wish someone would take what made CE so great (sandbox, static weapon and powerup spawns, neat little stuff like quick camo, nade tricks and double melee etc.) and make a modern game with a 2019 aesthetic, movement like H2 or H5 Evolved, modern sound design and working ranking system. There is no way that wouldn't be a success. I doubt people actually want to play nonsense like default Reach and H5 over what CE can offer, it's just that the presentation of these games is miles ahead of CE. And it's not just graphics, especially the movement and spawn system are an instant turn-off for 80% of the players and I can't fault them for it. Honestly, the spawn system is complete utter horseshit outside of 2v2 and jump delay can go die in a fire.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Can people please stop hating on Arlong for not attending a LAN. It's not like you can just force someone out of their comfort zone to see a couple dozen of total strangers to play a 20 year old game that he may or may not like. It's ridiculous and no-one should be expected to do so.

Sure, the best Halo 1 experience is LAN with other people. It's amazing. But stop shitting on him for not immediately booking in a LAN to experience it.

That was never the issue. That's obviously understandable. The issue is the other half of the equation. The part where he talks out of his ass about an experience he's literally never had a single time. The pressure to go to a LAN was a result of the excuses that came forth once he was called out on it.  All of this goes away if the dude understands the limits of his own knowledge and doesn't try to rant about things he's actually clueless about.

13 hours ago, Shekkles said:

What a weird analogy. No one expressed interest in running, or tried to speak authoritatively about why running is shit when they've never tried it. I feel like you don't understand why this started.

For clarity's sake:  I encourage everyone to try attending a LAN. It's fun and offers a unique experience, and you'll probably make new friends. I also understand why someone wouldn't want to go, and I wouldn't pressure anyone to go if they don't want to.  That said, if you lack that experience, that limits the credibility of your opinion. And if that experience is readily available, then it needs to be acknowledged that it's a choice to not go, not some unfortunate circumstance.  And finally, at that point, some self awareness would really be nice.

Edit: All caught up on the thread now (I really need to start using multiquote so I can catch up before responding...my bad). @Arlong, that's sick that you reached out. Hopefully that person gets back to you. Regarding splitscreen, I used to feel the same way. I used to go out of my way to offer players full screen at LANs, because I didn't yet understand how insanely beneficial splitscreen is to H1. First of all, it gives you a much wider FOV, which helps enormously. Secondly, it gives you that instant awareness of what your teammate is doing and where he is that makes a massive difference in your timing/decision making. The game would require an insane amount of communication if it was played full screen. If you can remind yourself to look at your teammate's screen when you need more intel, you'll grow to appreciate it like everyone else has. 

And lastly, I would definitely advise you to spend 5min on each map in www.halospawns.com. Just see where the spawns are and try to make a mental note of where the spawns are in each room. This will help your awareness a lot. Some specifics to focus on that will help you have more fun:

-Learn at least 3 different ways/places to nade camo down on Damnation, or you won't have fun on that map.

-Learn where the randoms are on Hang Em High, or you won't have fun on that map.

-Learn a few different ways to give a top spawn on Derelict, or you won't have fun on that map. Halospawns will give you a percentage of which spawn you will give when you stand in certain places. Knowing how to spawn up on Derelict gives you more chances to retake control.

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

What a weird analogy. No one expressed interest in running, or tried to speak authoritatively about why running is shit when they've never tried it. I feel like you don't understand why this started.

For clarity's sake:  I encourage everyone to try attending a LAN. It's fun and offers a unique experience, and you'll probably make new friends. I also understand why someone wouldn't want to go, and I wouldn't pressure anyone to go if they don't want to.  That said, if you lack that experience, that limits the credibility of your opinion. And if that experience is readily available, then it needs to be acknowledged that it's a choice to not go, not some unfortunate circumstance.  And finally, at that point, some self awareness would really be nice.

Edit: All caught up on the thread now (I really need to start using multiquote so I can catch up before responding...my bad). @Arlong, that's sick that you reached out. Hopefully that person gets back to you. Regarding splitscreen, I used to feel the same way. I used to go out of my way to offer players full screen at LANs, because I didn't yet understand how insanely beneficial splitscreen is to H1. First of all, it gives you a much wider FOV, which helps enormously. Secondly, it gives you that instant awareness of what your teammate is doing and where he is that makes a massive difference in your timing/decision making. The game would require an insane amount of communication if it was played full screen. If you can remind yourself to look at your teammate's screen when you need more intel, you'll grow to appreciate it like everyone else has. 

And lastly, I would definitely advise you to spend 5min on each map in www.halospawns.com. Just see where the spawns are and try to make a mental note of where the spawns are in each room. This will help your awareness a lot. Some specifics to focus on that will help you have more fun:

-Learn at least 3 different ways/places to nade camo down on Damnation, or you won't have fun on that map.

-Learn where the randoms are on Hang Em High, or you won't have fun on that map.

-Learn a few different ways to give a top spawn on Derelict, or you won't have fun on that map. Halospawns will give you a percentage of which spawn you will give when you stand in certain places. Knowing how to spawn up on Derelict gives you more chances to retake control.

Gosh that sounds like a lot of work for a game I bet I’ll only lan once, and barely play in general. Splitscreen just causes a lot of annoyances for me, and I doubt the fov change would make me happier, especially on those small ass TVS(the big cubes) because that’s not what I’d call a splitscreen friendly tv, but I understand why it’s used for input lag reasons. 

@Hard Waydo u still lan with people in ohio? 2020 summer i am trying to make an effort to go to some since ill have plenty of time to do it