CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Advanced Movement vs Classic Movement, Projectile vs Hitscan, Power Weapons vs No Weapons on Map.

Surely you haven't forgotten how those debates went down.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

giphy.gif

Next person to insult another person gets a 24 hour ban.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Opinions are worthless.  The logic and reasoning that caused one to arrive at that opinion is what matters.  I always hear a lot of the first thing but never any of the second.  Why is that?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

Opinions are worthless.  The logic and reasoning that caused one to arrive at that opinion is what matters.  I always hear a lot of the first thing but never any of the second.  Why is that?

What do you mean? That’s explained all the time. But it depends, heck’s I do that all the time 

2 hours ago, Arlong said:

What do you mean? That’s explained all the time. But it depends, heck’s I do that all the time 

Having an opinion is fine, everyone will form one the moment they hear anything about something. It's just the way it works. The point here is that discussing that opinion doesn't really mean anything because it's set.

However discussing why you have that opinion is interesting because we can see how it got there. For example I think Halo 3 is the best Halo title. Discussing that conclusion is boring, but discussing why is a different matter.

People can talk about BR spread, latency issues and equipment until the sun comes down but it won't stop being my favorite because of the culture and community related things it had at the time. I saved up my money with my brother and we bought an Xbox 360. Took us a year (from Xbox launch) to afford it. Then we bought Halo 3 on release, having not spent a cent on anything for a year (we were kids by the way, this is pocket money I'm talking about, not a wage). 

Then something magical happened, my friend told me that you can start Xbox live with a 30 day free trial. So not only did I have Halo 3 and my brand new console, I could actually play online with my friends. For someone that had only ever played Halo 1 at LANs and Halo 2 online at friends places, this was insanity. I then bought the prepaid xbox cards for a bit until I got my first debit card (and a job). Therefore the game means more to me than the other Halo's, regardless of gameplay.

Point is, the reasons behind the opinions are interesting, not the opinion itself. Saying "You're a dumbass for liking Halo 3 the most" is silly because you don't really know why I like it. That's why as much as I wholeheartedly disagree with IcePrincess/My Namez Beast etc. for liking Halo 5, I don't dislike them as people because I don't know what stuff happened outside of the game for them to think that way. Also their age, they're obviously younger than me and therefore would be experiencing different standards. When Halo 1 came out it had state of the art graphics, now they look like shit compared to say H2A. Experiencing H2A then going back to H1 would be like "wtf is this".

I was eight when Halo 1 came out, but I was fifteen when Halo 3 came out and had a dedicated, close group of friends to enjoy it with. If I was older I may like Halo 1 more because I would have been able to visit more LANs if I had a car or a friend with a car. If you had a close group of friends in 2015 and Halo 5 comes out and you all like it, you're going to play that. Then you're going to like it more because of the experiences around that. It's a bonus if the game is good.

• Like (+1) 8

8 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Why don’t you like CE?  

1, graphics, I can acknowledge this is probably my worse reason but I feel it looks terrible especially for today’s standards, it’s hard to see certain areas and what not, heck’s even on mcc which gives it that 1080p resolution and idk about 4K since I don’t own an s or x.

2. Gameplay I mostly hate the spawn system because I’m constantly spawning in the eyes of my opponent and just because you can control where you’ll spawn just isn’t good to me, to justify that type of spawning.

3. Abilities, the game is super reliant on the power ups, now this isn’t completely horrible, but I kinda hate that part, because well camo isn’t seeable in anyway in that game at least other halos added a blur. And os is too op. 
4. Jumping I think this is self explanatory. 
5. The maps. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Have an opinion is fine, everyone will form one the moment they hear anything about something. It's just the way it works. The point here is that discussing that opinion doesn't really mean anything because it's set.

However discussing why you have that opinion is interesting because we can see how it got there. For example I think Halo 3 is the best Halo title. Discussing that conclusion is boring, but discussing why is a different matter.

People can talk about BR spread, latency issues and equipment until the sun comes down but it won't stop being my favorite because of the culture and community related things it had at the time. I saved up my money with my brother and we bought an Xbox 360. Took us a year (from Xbox launch) to afford it. Then we bought Halo 3 on release, having not spent a cent on anything for a year (we were kids by the way, this is pocket money I'm talking about, not a wage). 

Then something magical happened, my friend told me that you can start Xbox live with a 30 day free trial. So not only did I have Halo 3 and my brand new console, I could actually play online with my friends. For someone that had only ever played Halo 1 at LANs and Halo 2 online at friends places, this was insanity. I then bought the prepaid xbox cards for a bit until I got my first debit card (and a job). Therefore the game means more to me than the other Halo's, regardless of gameplay.

Point is, the reasons behind the opinions are interesting, not the opinion itself. Saying "You're a dumbass for liking Halo 3 the most" is silly because you don't really know why I like it. That's why as much as I wholeheartedly disagree with IcePrincess/My Namez Beast etc. for liking Halo 5, I don't dislike them as people because I don't know what stuff happened outside of the game for them to think that way. Also their age, they're obviously younger than me and therefore would be experiencing different standards. When Halo 1 came out it had state of the art graphics, now they look like shit compared to say H2A. Experiencing H2A then going back to H1 would be like "wtf is this".

I was eight when Halo 1 came out, but I was fifteen when Halo 3 came out and had a dedicated, close group of friends to enjoy it with. If I was older I may like Halo 1 more because I would have been able to visit more LANs if I had a car or a friend with a car. If you had a close group of friends in 2015 and Halo 5 comes out and you all like it, you're going to play that. Then you're going to like it more because of the experiences around that. It's a bonus if the game is good.

I don’t even like the way h2a looks, because it has that power ranger shine, to me reach and 3 look the best. I agree that h3 is the best, it’s what I have most experience with and had the most enjoyment out of and still. I’m positive even if CEs issues get solved it wouldn’t make me like the game more. Heck’s the only thing I like about it is the pistol but if I could get a halo 3 no BR spread mod I’d take that over the pistol in a heart beat. I prefer to have a rifle anyway because that feeling of power feels realistic in a way. But that’s me, I get how some prefer a pistol whether it takes less of their screen(can easily be solved by a higher FOV) or they just like the pistol. Lmao me and my older bro did that as well, but We also had a friend who’s dad works for MS so we’d get the Xbox for cheap. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

On 10/12/2019 at 8:08 PM, Arlong said:

I mean I’d hate it if I don’t like them and then waste a bunch of gas driving back home 

It's either a good time or a good story bro.  

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

It's either a good time or a good story bro.  

All I gotta say is this better be in Seattle or I’m not doing a lan. Not going all the way to Redmond. Especially for CE which I do not like that much, I don’t hate it, but I don’t prefer it. 

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

giphy.gif

Next person to insult another person gets a 24 hour ban.

What film is that from

3 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Shows name sounds familiar but I know I haven’t watched it, I’m excited for the upcoming Witcher series that’s being  predicted to be the next GoT. All I gotta say is the CGI better be “GOOD” like infinity war and end game good. A fantasy show like the watcher needs a good production because cheap cgi isn’t ok.

1 minute ago, Arlong said:

Shows name sounds familiar but I know I haven’t watched it, I’m excited for the upcoming Witcher series that’s being  predicted to be the next GoT. All I gotta say is the CGI better be “GOOD” like infinity war and end game good. A fantasy show like the watcher needs a good production because cheap cgi isn’t ok.

Community season 1-3 are some of my favourite TV ever. Season 4 is worthless, Season 5 is ok and I never saw Season 6. But Seasons 1 & 2 in particular are 100% worth watching.

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

However discussing why you have that opinion is interesting because we can see how it got there. For example I think Halo 3 is the best Halo title. People can talk about BR spread, latency issues and equipment until the sun comes down but it won't stop being my favorite because of the culture and community related things it had at the time.

That's why as much as I wholeheartedly disagree with IcePrincess/My Namez Beast etc. for liking Halo 5, I don't dislike them as people because I don't know what stuff happened outside of the game for them to think that way.

First, are you saying it's the best, or your favorite. Could be fickle word use but the two words differ. Only asking out of curiosity. Do you see it as the best, your favorite, or both?

Secoooooond. Also fickle word use, but do you disagree with us for liking it, or disagree with why we like it, because you want something else. For clarification over curiosity.

• Like (+1) 1

@Shekkles you know I want to talk about the h3 br spread. Heck’s the best solution is to do what halo online did and make the precision weapons hitscan. Like it made the weapon more consistent, more fun to use, and yes I know it created a lot of cross mapping, but for the most part it works like a weapon without a bunch of bs. H3 is currently the #1 halo, and even when reach releases I don’t think it’ll beat that because of one thing bloom. Halo is a game about the use of precision weapons, sure the easy autos shouldn’t be crappy and I’d say an AR strong as the h4 is fine, but to stay on topic I’ll get right to it, people these days like consistency, and bloom is just not good enough. It’s too frustrating. Many people mentioned all over the forums on how they liked the mlg playlist more but not because of the no radar and no sprint but because of zero bloom, heck’s there was a good chunk that asked for ZB across majority of stuff, and I agree.  Iike I know the pc gamers will not accept TU when zero bloom is an option, most of us could care less about range balancing, when we want an experience that isn’t crap. 
halo 3 is so simple, so fun, and needs literally ONE improvement. Gosh sometimes I wish apex legends was like a regular game with typical mm modes. With obvious adjustments and no champions, just the strafing, movemeny(like clamber and slide) and it’s HP system but obviously no shields just 100 HP.

48 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

First, are you saying it's the best, or your favorite. Could be fickle word use but the two words differ. Only asking out of curiosity. Do you see it as the best, your favorite, or both?

I would say it's my favorite. If I'm going to be semantic I'm not sure which is the best because it depends what you're comparing it to. In terms of Features? Sales? Multiplayer? Campaign? If you want a whole "which game is the best in your opinion" I honestly couldn't pick because there are bits I would mix and match from all (original trilogy) titles. If I had a gun to my head I would say Halo 3 again because I feel it had the most well-rounded experience (Forge/Campaign/MP/Theater/competitive/casual/BTB)

48 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Secoooooond. Also fickle word use, but do you disagree with us for liking it, or disagree with why we like it, because you want something else. For clarification over curiosity.

A mix of both. On a personal level I do not like that you like it because I do not want Halo 5 to define what Halo is. I do not like the art, the sound, the music, the campaign, the graphics, the gameplay, the weapons or the maps. This is because the less people that like those, the higher chance we have of Halo returning to its roots. This is a personal opinion filled with the biases outlined in my initial post as well as this post

As to if I disagree as to why you like it, this is still subjective. For example I don't like sprint because I don't like the maps becoming larger, flatter and less focused. I don't like my gun being down just to traverse the larger maps that wouldn't need to be larger if I didn't need to put my gun down. The fact that sprint does that to the maps is objective fact. However, it is subjective as to if you like those things. If you like larger, flatter maps then I can't say you're wrong can I? It's subjective.

• Like (+1) 4

On 10/12/2019 at 8:08 PM, Arlong said:

I mean I’d hate it if I don’t like them and then waste a bunch of gas driving back home 

people from 343 show up and ur worried about something you cant realistically have any control over. "no 1 to lan with" because you refuse to play halo. like cmon. 

4 minutes ago, Riddler said:

people from 343 show up and ur worried about something you cant realistically have any control over. "no 1 to lan with" because you refuse to play halo. like cmon. 

Dude I’m not refusing, I’ll go to a lan sheesh. I never hear of people doing stuff like this.

Can people please stop hating on Arlong for not attending a LAN. It's not like you can just force someone out of their comfort zone to see a couple dozen of total strangers to play a 20 year old game that he may or may not like. It's ridiculous and no-one should be expected to do so.

Sure, the best Halo 1 experience is LAN with other people. It's amazing. But stop shitting on him for not immediately booking in a LAN to experience it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Arlong said:

1, graphics, I can acknowledge this is probably my worse reason but I feel it looks terrible especially for today’s standards, it’s hard to see certain areas and what not, heck’s even on mcc which gives it that 1080p resolution and idk about 4K since I don’t own an s or x.

2. Gameplay I mostly hate the spawn system because I’m constantly spawning in the eyes of my opponent and just because you can control where you’ll spawn just isn’t good to me, to justify that type of spawning.

3. Abilities, the game is super reliant on the power ups, now this isn’t completely horrible, but I kinda hate that part, because well camo isn’t seeable in anyway in that game at least other halos added a blur. And os is too op. 
4. Jumping I think this is self explanatory. 
5. The maps. 

1. hard to see stuff... ur just not familiar with the game, you could say the same of halo2/3/reach its like the same really. If you do lan, I can understand this because you'll be playing 480i and its hard for me sometimes but do realize people actually try to make themselves hard to see since awareness is a big part of the ce skillgap.

2. you don't have to spawn in front of the enemy. it's up to your teammate to decide to give you a safe spawn or not. you could play a whole game of damnation and not spawn in front of the enemy if you and your teammate really wanted to, however it is beneficial to spawn in front of them given the situation. It just creates so many RPS situations which is why its loved by many people. Have you never played final boss on halo 3 pit or narrows? Spawn back cannon, sniped. spawn flag next, sniped. Spawn stage, sniped. Spawn cannon, sniped. And you can't do shit about it. In ce? you can get shit spawns all you want but your team is choosing either a random spawn or a verified spawn. 

3. this is far subjective but it is what it is. however saying other games dont have good camo is just a lie. halo 3 camo is just as good. if you could see it so easily, people wouldn't sacrifice top control to try and pick it up on construct in h3. halo2, yes it's a piece of shit that isnt even picked up. If you stuck camo on narrows for example, you're not going to see him sitting top mauler spawn topmid. I would say halo 3 camo is always better because its much harder to see up close than CE's and far away they're both good enough. And the one on construct lasts 60seconds where as it only lasts 45seconds for CE.  Aside from derelict, you can get a powerup/weapon of your choice. The advantageous team will likely get the one they want (such as rockets on chillout), but the losers still can choose to pick up camo or OS or just bum rush rockets if they think they can pull a cheeky kill. h3 has the same OS and even worse weapons. A common complaint is that only the main weapon is used, and CE's meta means it has the most diverse weapon pool till halo 5 where its tied. I know there are people who just want to play halo 3 amplified/midship 11x over narrows, pit, con, etc, but realize these have a lower skill meta even if fun. halo reach's is just as hard to see when standing still, even harder to see closeup than CE but you do become uncamo'd when you move. halo 5 camo is also predator. it's really on halo 2 camo which you can "see."  

4. yeah... eh it does provide some skill gap but it's not really a skill people are proud of. 

5. i think you're just getting bullied in MM. every1 at a high level has that one map they'd rather skill but the maps themselves but they generally do better than h2/h3 maps as a whole in "pick the best map tournaments." just btw for TB, midship is 1st, chilly is 2nd, pris is 3rd, then sanc. lockout is top 8 and we us vocal members hate Lockout. 

16 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Can people please stop hating on Arlong for not attending a LAN. It's not like you can just force someone out of their comfort zone to see a couple dozen of total strangers to play a 20 year old game that he may or may not like. It's ridiculous and no-one should be expected to do so.

Sure, the best Halo 1 experience is LAN with other people. It's amazing. But stop shitting on him for not immediately booking in a LAN to experience it.

im not hating on him just because of that. I feel like im quite clear. he said he wouldnt lan halo 1 because he had no one to play with but when we give him people to play with, he's trying to dodge doing it. that's just me "hating on him" for lying not for not playing ce. 

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

A mix of both. On a personal level I do not like that you like it because I do not want Halo 5 to define what Halo is.

I don't really take issue with the rest, bar this. Because, whether or not I like it has nothing to do with whether or not the rest of the market takes to it. Which is what would tend to (Big airquotes) define where the franchise goes. I'm in a variable minority saying I like Halo 5. It sure wouldn't affect Infinite, if likes alone were to change game development. I find this to be a big stretch.

11 minutes ago, Riddler said:

im not hating on him just because of that. I feel like im quite clear. he said he wouldnt lan halo 1 because he had no one to play with but when we give him people to play with, he's trying to dodge doing it. that's just me "hating on him" for lying not for not playing ce. 

Yeah well I love running. Running helped me out of anxiety issues and helped me lose weight. I've only been doing it for 10 months and I've done two half marathons.

You should try running. Go and run a 5K right now. Go do a parkrun with dozens of other people. Why won't you do it? It's easy to find people, just go to parkrun.com. Why don't you just do it? It's so good. Why not travel 1.5 hours to go for your nearest parkrun. I just showed you the website, it's easy.

Now think about your reaction to what I just wrote and you'll start to understand where he's coming from. Also he didn't lie, he didn't realise he was able to find a local LAN so easily. But now that he does know it's not like he's going to immediately make plans to do it because some forumer said it's good in the same way you're not going to run 5K just because I said it's good.

• Like (+1) 1