CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

No, there wasn’t.  I remember there were two camps.  Give me the option to disable assassinations people and just don’t hold the button down people.  

My brain hurts now. I think you're right but I swear there was...

33 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

There was definitely an option to disable in Reach. I know because it was one of the first things I looked for day 1.

Nope, it wasn't until Halo 5 that we finally got the option to disable assassinations.

Not sure why it took three games with assassinations in them for us to finally get that option but whatever

• Upvote (+1) 1

@Shekkles I wish there was an option to disable that garbage in Reach and H4, but they were too stubborn/lazy to add it. So many kills and games lost because the game thought someone was holding the button instead of tapping it and gets you stuck in a dumbass animation for 5 seconds. It even happened in MLG events.

It just hit me: Half the mainline Halo games have had Assassinations, Armor Abilities and Sprint. There is an entire generation of players out there who thinks Halo is about running up to a dude with your gun down and hitting a button to get a gimmicky quick-time animation kill. Ouch.

• Upvote (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

@Hard Wayand i have had this conversation before.  Halo 2 has the best movement in the series bar none and if you were to take the H2 movement and slap it into H1, a lot more people might play that game.  While the spawn system in that game can be daunting and frustrating at times, especially at higher player counts, but when team skill is even its really not that big of a deal.  A big turnoff for people just starting in that game is how muddy, delayed and slippery the movement can be. It "feels" bad until you get used to it, which is a task a lot of people won't take the time to complete.  Its even worse for people that started with later Halo games then try to go back.

Yeah I think all of that is fair, except maybe the strafe (especially the crouch). No one really enjoys jump delay. You can adapt to it and acknowledge that it takes a bit of mastery, but I don't think it's good for the game. I prefer H2's jump height as well, and I'd love to see H1's maps scaled around H2's jump height.  Regarding spawns in 4v4 and up, a permanent loading screen tip telling you to spread out (and hit Y) might help. 

I also think some audio cues leading into the cycle would help people figure out that items spawn on the minute, and might help clue people in on what they should be focusing on and when. Maybe add like the respawn doots on odd minutes, and the respawn doots followed by the hill gong on even minutes. Something to get people at least wondering what the significance of it is. Something like that would help them understand the pace the game should be played at, and eventually get them looking at their clock more often.

• Like (+1) 2

I mean if we're talking about how people actually play CE and teaching it. Countdowns for power ups and weapons should just be an option for game audio. Looking at the clock is nice and definitely part of later Halos but that would be kind of a newer MCC thing for that game since most people playing are using alarms/talking timers since basically forever. Might as well just let everyone have the whole timer experience since that's what they'll be playing against eventually even if they don't realize it

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I mean if we're talking about how people actually play CE and teaching it. Countdowns for power ups and weapons should just be an option for game audio. Looking at the clock is nice and definitely part of later Halos but that would be kind of a newer MCC thing for that game since most people playing are using alarms/talking timers since basically forever. Might as well just let everyone have the whole timer experience since that's what they'll be playing against eventually even if they don't realize it

Use controller vibration to indicate clock cycles.  One long vibration on the minute marks, two short quick vibrations on the 30 second marks, and three slow vibrations on 3, 2, 1.  

22 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Use controller vibration to indicate clock cycles.  One long vibration on the minute marks, two short quick vibrations on the 30 second marks, and three slow vibrations on 3, 2, 1.  

I feel like that's not a very good solution to those who actually play on vibration normally.

1 minute ago, JordanB said:

I feel like that's not a very good solution to those who actually play on vibration normally.

I feel like vibration simulating gunfire or damage is a terribly redundant use of vibration.  

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

I feel like vibration simulating gunfire or damage is a terribly redundant use of vibration.  

I don't use vibration and haven't in years, I would consider using it for your idea if that was the only thing it was used for. But there are probably people out there who are so used to vibration that they can't play without it - or at least choose not to try.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

Men that use vibration are pussies

Yes, the use of a default setting in a video game has a direct correlation to masculinity. Well done making the connection.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

Yes, the use of a default setting in a video game has a direct correlation to masculinity. Well done making the connection.

Do you really need to over Analyze something like that? Just let the joke happen, gosh you sound like this guy at my work named Keegan who ruins everything because he over analyzes shit. 
god you’re one of those guys who watches a sci-fi movie and is like “that’s not physically possible” 

Just now, Arlong said:

Do you really need to over Analyze something like that? Just let the joke happen, gosh you sound like this guy at my work named Keegan who ruins everything because he over analyzes shit. 

What games has Keegan worked on?

Just now, Boyo said:

What games has Keegan worked on?

None, my friend Steve is the ex developer, and he’s a fun guy and can take a joke without boring the shit out of someone. 

Just now, Arlong said:

None, my friend Steve is the ex developer, and he’s a fun guy and can take a joke without boring the shit out of someone. 

What does Steve do now?

3 minutes ago, Arlong said:

god you’re one of those guys who watches a sci-fi movie and is like “that’s not physically possible” 

You know, the problem here is that you said something stupid, not that I called you out on it. You're now talking about the "suspension of disbelief" which of course I have because I am a frequent poster in a thread about a scifi game with genocidal aliens and zombies.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

bLoOm iS sKiLlfUl beCoZ u HaVe tOO pAcE uR sHots!1!

"but bloom is random, if you spam the trigger you have a pretty high chance of outshooting someone who is pacing their sho---"

pAcE uR sHotZ loSer

h4ELYxN.jpg

Pretty much sums up what trying to debate bloom is like. 

• Fire (+1) 6

22 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

You know, the problem here is that you said something stupid, not that I called you out on it. You're now talking about the "suspension of disbelief" which of course I have because I am a frequent poster in a thread about a scifi game with genocidal aliens and zombies.

It doesn’t matter if it’s stupid don’t be that guy 

Someone on leddit actually asked "why shouldn't you be punished for firing fast?" I don't know why I'm still surprised at the shit these people come up with.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Someone on leddit actually asked "why shouldn't you be punished for firing fast?" I don't know why I'm still surprised at the shit these people come up with.

To be fair he has a point but in halo it’s not acceptable. I think some vertical recoil would be ok. I think the amount in h5 on the BR is perfectly ok. 

2 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

I mean, the Beam Rifle has been punishing players for firing too fast since 2004.  The concept isn’t flawed so much as the execution (bloom as an accuracy penalty on the utility weapon).  

• Like (+1) 2

Like I think apex and over watch have the best examples of a fast Strafe speed where missing shots happens all the time especially in apex which has player model sizes similar to that of halos. Some vertical recoil wouldn’t hurt and would do what developers like to make it so there’s as less cross map lasering as possible.

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I mean, the Beam Rifle has been punishing players for firing too fast since 2004.  The concept isn’t flawed so much as the execution (bloom as an accuracy penalty on the utility weapon).  

I’d rather have to reload my gun than being punished for firing my gun as fast as possible. Reloading is perfectly ok in most games and much more preferable.

Just now, Boyo said:

@Arlong What do you see as the benefits of vertical recoil?

To reduce long ranged engagements, to reduce lasering. That’s why developers add bloom all the time.