CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Powerhouse is fine. I used to think it was awesome but I think part of that was the fact that it shared disc space with Sword Base, Boredwalk, Cage, and Reflection. Average girl standing next to ugly girl syndrome.

I'm gonna open myself up to ridicule and say that I enjoyed Uplink (the dev made Condemned cut up).

13 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

I'm gonna open myself up to ridicule and say that I enjoyed Uplink (the dev made Condemned cut up).

When ur this far gone there's nothing to say. 

Condemned itself can go die but decrease the size, add some teleporters and get the snipers out of there and it gets a lot better.

unless theres a new version of uplink that disabled the antigrav in the middle i don't see the map being saved. 

I gotta say, getting hit with an hour ban because my xbox got hit offline for a second is a pretty brutal punishment. Whats the incentive to turn my box back on and keep playing? Like can I get at least get a gimme once a day? I have everything port forwarded, my xbox has good wifi signal, the only thing left to do would be to hardwire my xbox into the modem and my roommate wouldn't be down with me running a 50ft cord through the apartment just for that.

25 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I gotta say, getting hit with an hour ban because my xbox got hit offline for a second is a pretty brutal punishment. Whats the incentive to turn my box back on and keep playing? Like can I get at least get a gimme once a day? I have everything port forwarded, my xbox has good wifi signal, the only thing left to do would be to hardwire my xbox into the modem and my roommate wouldn't be down with me running a 50ft cord through the apartment just for that.

The only solution is to make another account and play on that for an hour. XBL gold carries over so at least you're not paying to get around this system.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Basu said:

The only solution is to make another account and play on that for an hour. XBL gold carries over so at least you're not paying to get around this system.

Didn't think about that. I do have an alt I can switch over to.

Big fan of a lot of the pros setting there videos to sub only mode all of a sudden........ Just what the halo community needs

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nokt said:

Sounds like you need a new roommate

• Fire (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

I'd love to know what they were thinking when they made Assembly

Assembly is a map that has a decent foundation for potentially being a solid map, but then the designers threw-up all over it with an overabundance of nonsense. The ability to delete parts of the map in forge would have been interesting to see what some designers could have made from its bones. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nokt said:

I could be wrong but I thought the first quit punishment in MCC was 5 minutes? I didn't think you could get an hour ban until your 2nd or 3rd quit. But these quits are within a ~24 hour period so if you quit once yesterday and then once today before your timer "reset" then that's why you got a longer ban.

Or they just changed the ban times. Not sure.

10 hours ago, Nokt said:

the point is that you either fix ur stuff or you don't get back online so everybody else doesn't have a bad time. a 1hour ban is 2 times u made the game less fun for people as ur first is a 5minute ban. 

I don't think there are quit penalties in 1v1 so u can always play that (don't quote). edit: confirmed this is the case.

5 hours ago, JordanB said:

I could be wrong but I thought the first quit punishment in MCC was 5 minutes? I didn't think you could get an hour ban until your 2nd or 3rd quit. But these quits are within a ~24 hour period so if you quit once yesterday and then once today before your timer "reset" then that's why you got a longer ban.

Or they just changed the ban times. Not sure.

I'm not sure tbh. I just took a trip to Seattle and yesterday was my first day playing again for 6 days. I got hit offline on Pit about halfway through the game and was served a 1 hour ban. I thought it was within 24 hours of you playing again, not dependent how many days actually pass by?

1 hour ago, Riddler said:

the point is that you either fix ur stuff or you don't get back online so everybody else doesn't have a bad time. a 1hour ban is 2 times u made the game less fun for people as ur first is a 5minute ban. 

I don't think there are quit penalties in 1v1 so u can always play that (don't quote). edit: confirmed this is the case.

I'm well aware of the repercussions of getting quitting/booted/hit offline as I hate it just as much as the next person. I'm still willing to find better solutions that give people more opportunities to continue playing the game of their choice rather than a 1 hour ban. Literally every time I get booted offline I just go play PUBG or Destiny and don't come back once my ban is up.

I'm not sure what else to do at this point. I'm not technologically illiterate, I've tried every "fix" that I've seen on the internet, reached out to my ISP and xbox support. Nothing has fixed it.

Woah Gears 5 is $2 on release. Not turning that down.

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

Woah Gears 5 is $2 on release. Not turning that down.

Aka shitty game, 2$ when it just launched, that tells me it sucks

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

5 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Lmao come on dude. It's Microsoft pushing game pass, in fact every first party title from here on out will be a $2 game, or free rather if you're subscribed. They're eating that cost everywhere. 

But yeah Gears 5 isn't great

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Arlong said:

My value is $1 must equal 1 hour of gameplay. So 2 hours of Game Pass should be easy to get.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Oh it’s a GP deal? Ok I take it back but at the same time I don’t like gears of war anyway.

1 minute ago, Arlong said:

Oh it’s a GP deal? Ok I take it back but at the same time I don’t like gears of war anyway.

It's Game Pass Ultimate as well. I was worried about my existing Xbox Live Gold disappearing, but they add it on top for free. So my 7 remaining months of gold are now 7 months of Game Pass ultimate.

8 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

But yeah Gears 5 isn't great

Whaa...?

I'm having a great time with it so far, campaignwise, at least. What's your issue with it? 

34 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

Whaa...?

I'm having a great time with it so far, campaignwise, at least. What's your issue with it? 

Basically everything, to be honest. Seems gears is in a similar camp to us. Every game the movement is neutered a little bit more and the weapon balance moves further from integrity into ridiculously fast killing automatics and explosive weapons. Wallbouncing is beyond neutered, autos shred more than ever, there's a million redundant weapons and Op turrets, the introduction of flash grenades means every life you're going blind 7x before you die, and the maps are all a shell of what Epic used to create for the franchise. Movement penalties like bloom, reduced health regen while wallbouncing (lmao), every weapon gets a damage boost from active reloading EXCEPT the gnasher, autos do headshot damage now. That's just the most important stuff. But if I were to nit pick as a fan of the franchise I'd say they all but abandoned the tone and direction that makes Gears special. I don't like the direction they took with Horde. I haven't finished the new campaign but from what I've seen and heard it's pretty souless and the whole open world aspects are basically a useless gimmick. The arcade mode they added is a caricature of gears and shouldn't exist tbh. Not only was the art style compromised but starting with gears 4 the Coalition started putting in all those crazy color blast skins. The sound design abandoned it's origins (basically akin to changing halos recharging shield sound), separate core and comp tuning in gears 4 (they said they won't do this for g5 but we'll see)..

I'll finish the campaign and I'm sure I'll get some enjoyment out of it but the game in its entirety is basically just Gears but bad, to me. It checks all the boxes of what to include content wise so it'll get reviewed well (and is) but I'd bet any amount in the long run this game will suffer and go down as one of the worst gears titles next to judgment. 

• Thonking (+0) 1

10 hours ago, Shekkles said:

My value is $1 must equal 1 hour of gameplay. So 2 hours of Game Pass should be easy to get.

After you finished the campaign, how many hours of Firefight did you have to play before ODST became a good value?

10 hours ago, Arlong said:

Just because you don't like a game doesn't make it a shitty game.

On 9/3/2019 at 12:25 AM, Cursed Lemon said:

Here's the problem - no I don't. 

I've said this before and I stand by it (think I talked to @S0UL FLAME about it). CE comes out and is the killer app for a brand new system. It's the first wildly popular game on console to use the dual analog control scheme. It basically codified several mechanics for console shooters like aim assist. It's an absolute LAN'ing dream machine in the pre-XBL age. It's also a brand new IP and it's well produced. Halo 2 rolls around, and literally creates the online console lobby/friend/matchmaking system as we know it today. It is the online console game to play. Halo 3 hits. Now we've got a map editor and a gameplay demo reviewer, which was enormous for the content creating community. We also get firefight out of ODST, which proves to be very popular. 

Then Reach drops, and we get...a half-assed attempt at customization. Halo 4 hits and we essentially get nothing. Halo 5 is released and we get Halo's trend-chasing version of a MOBA and MTX cosmetic bullshit. 

The original trilogy sold itself not only on its campaign and basic multiplayer structure, it also revolutionized not only the shooter experience but the basic console gaming experience as a whole.The first three titles changed the console video game landscape. The next three games didn't even come close. For Halo to regain its legendary status, it needs to reinvent the wheel in some form or another.

How does it do that? I'm not sure. There really isn't any killer new method of experiencing FPS games that I can conceive of. 

I'm a little late to the party, but after reading the pages after @Cursed Lemon's analysis of the novelty of the three first Halo games (quoted above), I felt I had a duty to point out a "meta-aspect" that is missing. And, when you realize this meta-aspect, I think it actually is possible to conceive of new "killer methods" of the kind @Cursed Lemonis talking about.

The "meta-aspect" I am thinking about is the form of revolutions that H1, H2 and H3 brought to the table. While H1, H2 and H3 are quite different games when it comes to actual gameplay/sandbox, that is not what @Cursed Lemonemphasized. The revolutions he is pointing to are:

1. Bringing the FPS to console in a way that actually works well - i.e. revolutionary mechanics, control setups, etc. that works on console (H1).
  2. Creating a multiplayer experience (parties, matchmaking, friends list and clans) that raised the bar for games (H2).
  3. Map editor, demo viewer (theater), file sharing (H3).

I think Lemon's analysis is very accurate: it is not necessarily the gameplay of these games that were decisive in their popularity. It is the features that surround the core gameplay. Indeed, as a huge H1 fan, who finds H2 and H3 to be inferior with regard to gameplay, I would even go as far as to argue that the increased popularity of the Halo series through H2 and H3 happened despite drop in gameplay/sandbox/map quality. Put differently: the increase in well thought out features around the core gameplay experience was just as, if not more important, than the gameplay itself.

If this analysis is correct - as I think it is, what is the implication we can draw from it?

In my view, this demonstrates that innovation in core gameplay are not necessarily needed. Indeed, this most of us already argue for due to the fact that we like first trilogy the best among the Halo games. But the key takeaway is that there is nevertheless room for innovation by adding surrounding features. And I do not think, as @Cursed Lemon may be read as thinking, that the Halo series at its peak in surrounding features, left no room to innovate (i.e. during H3 - later games have generally cut surrounding features compared to H3).

There are many new features that could be added, expanding on the sum of all H1 through H3 features. For example:

• Live spectating (we have that in H5, so it would not be entirely new).
  • Full tournament integration with XBLs tournament system.
  • Proper API support for automatic score reporting, advanced stats, etc.
  • Even better web integration with the game (like we had for H2 and H3 with heat maps, good file search engines, etc - but much improved).
  • PC map editor that can make proper maps (geometry), which could then be forged on to place items etc.
  • Something like Steam Workshop.
  • Proper clan/team support, building on what worked well in H2.
  • Ladders directly integrated into the game.
  • Ability for third party communities (such as HaloNorge, the Norwegian community, which I run) to serve content directly into the game - e.g. announcements of new tournaments. This could be limited to people that are part of a "HaloNorge group" in the game for example.

I could go on. And I guess many of you have ideas along similar lines. Such features are, in my mind, more important innovations than changing up a winning gameplay formula. Stick with the H1 (preferably), H2 (next best) or H3's (okey, I'll live) gameplay formula. But improve the features around the gameplay. Never accept fewer features than H2/H3. That, in my view, is the key to another successful Halo game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2