CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

53 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Lmao inb4 some jack ass is all like “those halos had no competition” it’s basically the excuse I hear in classic regard but reach had a good population of 100k and it had a lot of competition.

They had competition, they were just lucky around their competition. Like Fortnite

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

That emoji isn't hiding anything. I'm serious.

I’m pretty good at halo, been playing its competitive scene since reach v7 days so I’m decent at the game. I’m not a scrub that’s for sure. 

7 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

They had competition, they were just lucky around their competition. Like Fortnite

It’s honestly just one of the many excuses that people use though. During h2 days I can agree the competition wasn’t there. But h3 had cod MW, gears of war(1-2 I don’t remember which) some other shit, all in all there was decent competition. Arena games aren’t well loved as they used to be, that’s pretty obvious. You gotta do something that WOWS people, and tbh I think reach(TU) is the best way to go about that. Amazing MM, customs, forge, customization, like damn there’s a lot of good about that game. I’m curious if or not the forge maps people were able to port over could be transferred to their FS on the pc version of the game, even though forge isn’t available at pc launch that doesn’t mean customs aren’t available. 

• Simms (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

It’s honestly just one of the many excuses that people use though. During h2 days I can agree the competition wasn’t there. But h3 had cod MW, gears of war(1-2 I don’t remember which) some other shit, all in all there was decent competition. Arena games aren’t well loved as they used to be, that’s pretty obvious. You gotta do something that WOWS people, and tbh I think reach(TU) is the best way to go about that. Amazing MM, customs, forge, customization, like damn there’s a lot of good about that game. I’m curious if or not the forge maps people were able to port over could be transferred to their FS on the pc version of the game, even though forge isn’t available at pc launch that doesn’t mean customs aren’t available. 

Gears of War released and competed with H2 during 2006 on a new console generation. Halo 2 remained popular and the most played xbox game into the next console generation until Halo 3 and CoD took over which is something that just doesn't happen anymore. This isn't talked about enough imo. People bought 360s and then played Halo 2. An original Xbox game. That game was actually years and years ahead of its time. Halo was actually just good back then, obviously, where its now just low quality in relation to the rest of the market. People saying Halo didn't have competition are just crazy since just about every FPS series people play to this day existed then as well in terms of CoD, Battlefield, CS, etc. Even outside of that we had fifa, madden, 2k, mario, zelda, pokemon, whatever. They just got better in many ways while Halo just keeps sliding backwards post H3 (I will say the Reach UI was nice and probably the last good thing bungie did for us). While having the new battle royale success would be cool I'd much rather see Halo actually release with decent mechanics and a full feature set so that it could at least go back to competing within its own traditional genre. The gaming landscape as a whole is more similar than it is different. Halo just sucks now.

• Like (+1) 1

The entire argument is a joke. You could make the argument that CE (as the first really solid console shooter) and H2 (first XBL game with solid MM and shit) didn't really have competition. But guess what: the reason they didn't really have competition was  they were so damn ahead of the curve that it took others years to catch up and in the FPS genre PC gaming was waaaay ahead of consoles back then. Halo games just started sucking from Reach onward (mechanically a lot earlier) and the competition could easily catch up.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

I know it's an excuse people make for the franchise. And I don't inherently "agree" to a major extent. I'm just saying of the multiple franchises there at the time, Halo got lucky for it. It got lucky that they amalgamated a bunch of FPS' together for people to drool over in a party-game, easy to access style in 2001 with the release of the Xbox, Halo 2 got lucky its biggest innovation happened to be what would become the norm (A matchmaking lobby system adding onto what PC already had), and Halo 3 made a map editor, and file sharing widely available, on top of pushing a more social environment through things like partying up.

Halo was/is big, I just don't think any of it had to do with gameplay quality, lol. Which was my main prod point.

33 minutes ago, Basu said:

You could make the argument that CE (as the first really solid console shooter)

Turok, my man. 4 years ahead of CE.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Basu said:

The entire argument is a joke. You could make the argument that CE (as the first really solid console shooter) and H2 (first XBL game with solid MM and shit) didn't really have competition. But guess what: the reason they didn't really have competition was  they were so damn ahead of the curve that it took others years to catch up and in the FPS genre PC gaming was waaaay ahead of consoles back then. Halo games just started sucking from Reach onward (mechanically a lot earlier) and the competition could easily catch up.

Also Halo 2 was an online juggernaut on the fucking Xbox. In 2004.

Xbox. 

This is the same year the PS2 reached 70 million total units shipped.

Halo literally started opposite the steepest and most unfair competition in the history of the motherfucking industry.

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Turok, my man. 4 years ahead of CE.

You're just saying this because of your dino fetish lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

There's certainly a debate as to whether using C-buttons to move and aim constitutes being "solid". 

*heavy breathing* - @Boyo

• Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

To be fair cod was terrible in the old days, it didn’t start seeing love until cod 4. H2 was an amazing game and I wish I was a teen during its prime.

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

To be fair cod was terrible in the old days, it didn’t start seeing love until cod 4. H2 was an amazing game and I wish I was a teen during its prime.

People adored CoD 2 on 360, and for good reason.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

People adored CoD 2 on 360, and for good reason.

I wouldn’t say it was super good though. Cod really hit it off with cod 4. 

Cod 4 was it's biggest mainstream success up to that point but cod 2 was very well received in its own right.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Cod 4 was it's biggest mainstream success up to that point but cod 2 was very well received in its own right.

I’ve heard some good stuff, but it’s usua not a game that most think of when it comes to cod. That’s MW2, and black ops 2.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:00 AM, Arlong said:

It’s honestly just one of the many excuses that people use though. During h2 days I can agree the competition wasn’t there. 

runescape, wow, melee, starcraft, gta, and cs are all games popular in 2004 that are currently more popular than any halo game. half life 2 also released in 2004 and its regarded as one of the best video games of all time, but it is single player. civ is also a competitor that's more popular than halo right now

then there are the other games competing: unreal tournament, quake, guitar hero, fable, doom 3, sims 2, god of war. looks like 2006 was the weakest year.

halo 3 has just as much competition, wow/rs are more popular, cs/starcraft/gta is just as popular, and tf2 is huge. tf2 is a game from 2007 that gets minimal updates, was dead for like 3 years on any game updates alone, and yet the population is like 50k, and it's been on the top 10 of steam this whole time even with the introduction of overwatch. meanwhile halo5 can't even stay in the top 10 of xbox live. 

• Like (+1) 3

As much as there's more competition these days, video games are also much more widespread and accessible these days. Halo might not be the juggernaut of Xbox anymore but there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to hold a dedicated fanbase.

I think it'd be cool to make Halo Infinite free but put cosmetics behind microtransactions, but that'd be wildly unpopular. Sometimes I'm shocked at how much emphasis people put on H3 and Reach's customization.

I think Valve's CSGO method of allowing item trading but collecting a small tax for every transaction is also interesting. I think an item economy of sorts might be accepted as long as winning games still gave currency that could be used in the item shop.

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

As much as there's more competition these days, video games are also much more widespread and accessible these days. Halo might not be the juggernaut of Xbox anymore but there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to hold a dedicated fanbase.

this too. the audience is at least 5x bigger than it was in 2007, let alone 2004. halo shouldn't have a lower population than halo2 yet here we are. steam doubled in size from 2018 to 2015 based off their top game population steam chart

54 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Thirded. Halo doesn't need to be the undisputed tog-dog of XBL but it needs to be higher than hovering around 40th. 

Halo should the very least be in the top ten. 

I think maybe it would be reasonably popular if Halo 5 wasn't an old game that's bad and MCC wasn't even older game that's broken. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1