CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Nokt: Halo really is a special franchise

Ice: No its not, let me explain how your brain works.

Not sure what else to call that other than shitting on people's memories.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Why would I play something I don't enjoy? There is a plethora of games available to me right now and I continue to play Destiny because I don't like it? I have over 600 hours pumped into Destiny as a franchise and while that pales in comparison to Halo, I do genuinely enjoy the franchise. Running Vault of Glass blind for the first time was extremely rewarding and fun, but I can barley even remember what takes place in that raid.

I'm not trying to advocate that Halo has some magic power that makes memories, merely that I don't have those memories outside of Halo, even with franchises that I enjoy playing.

The fact time played pales in comparison to Halo is exactly my point. On top of again, personal investment. I'm not saying you hate what you play, I dunno you, but I'd imagine for the time you've dumped into what you have, you love older Halo, a lot. So again, it's not surprising you have tons of memories for it over 15+ years, vs. Destiny, or Apex. To that point, disliking something would form its own set of memories. I'm more so saying it's possible to auto-pilot and have your overall experience blend together, mentally on a game you "enjoy" but also use to fill time with say, friends. Again, the point more so just lays on sheer time and enjoyment already. And how that is purely circumstantial. So while you don't have many memories outside of Halo, I have tons of memories with Halo and other franchises I love to bits. Purely circumstantially.

• Downvote (-1) 1

17 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Nokt: Halo really is a special franchise

Ice: No its not, let me explain how your brain works.

Not sure what else to call that other than shitting on people's memories.

Refer to above, mostly. I'm only saying memories are circumstantial, and Halo isn't special for giving them to someone, because it could happen with any game, at any time, to anyone. It isn't a weird outlier, or special just because some people can remember it more than other games, like the games I love and play aren't outliers because I have my own loved memories of them.

• Downvote (-1) 1

43 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

The fact time played pales in comparison to Halo is exactly my point. On top of again, personal investment. I'm not saying you hate what you play, I dunno you, but I'd imagine for the time you've dumped into what you have, you love older Halo, a lot. So again, it's not surprising you have tons of memories for it over 15+ years, vs. Destiny, or Apex. To that point, disliking something would form its own set of memories. I'm more so saying it's possible to auto-pilot and have your overall experience blend together, mentally on a game you "enjoy" but also use to fill time with say, friends. Again, the point more so just lays on sheer time and enjoyment already. And how that is purely circumstantial. So while you don't have many memories outside of Halo, I have tons of memories with Halo and other franchises I love to bits. Purely circumstantially.

I don't have any concrete numbers, but Destiny is probably the second highest FPS time played franchise that I have. Its not exactly a fair comparison to compare a 5 year old franchise to an 18 year old franchise.

I would have played this game of Halo 2 sometime during its release so that meant I was only 4-6 years into Halo as a franchise, roughly the same amount of time I'm in Destiny right now. That is just one of many memories set during that time and I vaguely have any of Destiny

3 hours ago, darkstar said:

It’s wild how Halo is one of the only video games I have ever played where certain online matches or moments remain unforgettable, even years after the fact. 

It truly is a magical franchise, and it really pains me to see how far it’s fallen and how it will likely never recapture even a fraction of its former glory. 

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for me had the same. Unforgettable moments and matches.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nokt said:

I don't have any concrete numbers, but Destiny is probably the second highest FPS time played franchise that I have. Its not exactly a fair comparison to compare a 5 year old franchise to an 18 year old franchise.

I would have played this game of Halo 2 sometime during its release so that meant I was only 4-6 years into Halo as a franchise, roughly the same amount of time I'm in Destiny right now. That is just one of many memories set during that time and I vaguely have any of Destiny

It's not a fair comparison, which is, again, my thing. Again, you have a lot of memories on Halo. That's fine. But that isn't exclusive to it. It makes it special for you, forges your life and memories, especially during developmental years, and that's grand. But it still isn't something only Halo does. Which is all I'm saying, and all I was responding to.

FF is entirely a part of halos core identity. It's guns, grenades, team killing and melee. The golden square.

Nah seriously is pointless and doesn't accomplish anything. Removing it only improves the quality of life.

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

You're late, we're shitting on people's memories of Halo now, not game mechanics. Better luck next time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Basu said:

You're late, we're shitting on people's memories of Halo now, not game mechanics. Better luck next time. 

It's like you don't actually read. 

13 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

It's like you don't actually read. 

Yawn, you need to come up with something new at some point.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/8/2019 at 7:59 PM, Shekkles said:

Post your favorite Halo memory.

2008. Having a "Halo night" with my friends (all in the same room). Isolation Multi Flag BRs comes up. On the enemy team are 4 5 star generals who immediately start talking smack. Now when it comes to my friends and I, we have myself and another mate who were always above average (not amazing, just pretty good) and then two mates who were average.

Game starts, they wipe us out straight away. They sit in our base with our flag melee'ing us over and over, spawn wiping us with the ghost/sniper/rockets. They still haven't scored, they're just killing us over and over. They're US and they have host, we're Australian and we're on yellow bar. We're all frustrated, ready to just leave because they're not even trying to win.

Then a miracle happens. Our least-skilled player kills their sniper. He then noscopes the ghost. Out of fucking nowhere. Then he runs into their base, grabs the flag and walks it into ours. Somehow wins the melee duel, returns our flag and caps.

To this day, we don't know how that happened, but it did, and it put the enemies on tilt. They kept rushing over one by one, getting wiped by us. We ended up winning 3 - 0 five minutes later. It remains the most memorable Halo game I've ever played and I didn't even do well, it was just the stunning turn around my mate did that fired us all up and tilted these guys off the face of the earth.

10/10.

Also, I missed this, and to illustrate my earlier point about the friends I had back then, here's a Halo-related anecdote. 

I went to MLG Chicago in 2007 at Pheasant Run, it was my first event. That was Str8 Rippin's comeback event when they took 2nd to FB with Lammie coaching them, after Carbon had been tearing things up at the end of the '06 season. I'm in a hotel with twelve other dudes, as it always was in those days. We're in the hotel one night, and almost everyone is drunk off of their ass. We're making all kinds of noise, to the point that security had been called on us once already. We had Arkive, S7ubs, and IcedBlue in the room among other guys like Legolas and I think Cyren. I don't know what started it but IcedBlue just all of a sudden tackled Arkive like a goofball and started wrestling with him, and everyone gets going. Then S7ubs, out of nowhere, just casually jumps on IcedBlue and honest-to-god pulls his nuts out and teabags him, causing the rest of us to lose our minds. Somewhere, Legolas has this on film. 

They're rolling around in front of the door to the room when we hear, knock-knock-knock. Without even bothering to get off the floor, IcedBlue reaches up and opens the door. It's security, and they're not terribly happy with us. At this point Arkive starts freaking out - he's refereeing the event, and he doesn't want to get in trouble for causing a disturbance much less underage drinking. He's slurring his words because he's so nervous, which makes security think he's hammered. Meanwhile one of the guys asks to see somebody's ID who is of legal age, and the only person in the room that's 21 is IcedBlue. He starts fishing around for his wallet and knocks over the ironing board (which was out for reasons unclear), spilling about a dozen open bottles of beer all over everyone's luggage. 

This is the kind of shit I miss. This is also the kind of shit that will never happen again. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

15 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Uuuuuuuuuh. Have you played anything you've enjoyed outside of Halo, lmao.

Of course I have. And I have a few fond memories from other games, but not nearly to the extent of Halo. I can recall so many great memories and moments playing just Halo 3 alone, whether in matchmaking or customs, and many of my irl friends who played are exactly the same. Many of them aren’t even really fbig fans of the franchise, yet have so many fond memories playing. Its just one of those games. 

I really do question if you even like this franchise tbh. You seem to dislike or hate almost every game, with the exception of the worst game in the series that literally killed its popularity. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, darkstar said:

Of course I have. And I have a few fond memories from other games, but not nearly to the extent of Halo. I can recall so many great memories and moments playing just Halo 3 alone, whether in matchmaking or customs, and many of my irl friends who played are exactly the same. Many of them aren’t even really fbig fans of the franchise, yet have so many fond memories playing. Its just one of those games. 

I really do question if you even like this franchise tbh. You seem to dislike or hate almost every game, with the exception of the worst game in the series that literally killed its popularity. 

But at least the guns shot straight because of the horrible bullet magnetism and gigantic hit box and there weren't weapons all over the map because you could call it in like a care package so it was all skill based

• Like (+1) 5

36 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

call it in like a care package 

Ordnance was bad because all players eventually got it and the item selection was random.  It doesn’t have to be bad though.

A BTB map could have an a vehicle spawn point but instead of any one vehicle just sitting there, when a player enters the zone, he gets a prompt telling him to pick between a Wraith or a Banshee using Left or Right on the D pad.  It adds a greater range of choices and outcomes.

• WutFace (+0) 2

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

It's one of those games in your circumstances, yes.

And franchise? I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the franchise. I have my likes and dislikes, and obviously I like it more than I hate it, but I'd say I'm a fan of specific things in the franchise over liking it in general. Like I am with everything I like. I don't like things in broad strokes. I like specific things in those strokes.

• Salt (-1) 1

I fail to see the usefulness of this entire discussion. Let's get back to the juicy drama. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I fail to see the usefulness of this entire discussion. Let's get back to the juicy drama. 

Snip3down lives underground with the lizard Illuminati.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

For the upcoming file transfer, I wonder if 343 would care if a couple of the gametypes I had on my file share were modded.

12 minutes ago, TI Inspire said:

For the upcoming file transfer, I wonder if 343 would care if a couple of the gametypes I had on my file share were modded.

I doubt they have the means to automatically check if a gametype is modded so unless you advertise it, I would say you are good.

1 hour ago, TI Inspire said:

They asked for halo 4 modded maps and game types(at least Sketch did) so I doubt it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/10/2019 at 7:08 PM, Mr Grim said:

FF is entirely a part of halos core identity. It's guns, grenades, team killing and melee. The golden square.

Nah seriously is pointless and doesn't accomplish anything. Removing it only improves the quality of life.

Yeah we need to remove friendly fire so that we can finally play Halo the way it was intended.

By yeeting fucking explosives everywhere like a monkey flings its own shit since theres literally no reason not to. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Snip3down lives underground with the lizard Illuminati.

Holy shit that would explain why he shot Epstein

• Thonking (+0) 2

4 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Yeah we need to remove friendly fire so that we can finally play Halo the way it was intended.

By yeeting fucking explosives everywhere like a monkey flings its own shit since theres literally no reason not to. 

Oh so the same as it already is? Gotcha. 

Ps they'd kill themselves with ricochet damage so yea they totally would just throw them everywhere lmao.