CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

26 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

On the real, past a one worder here. Depth wasn't my point. A hard counter to me (Which it isn't.) is still better than actually having next to nothing. You're outright able to fight back. That isn't the case with Halo. Teamshot means nothing when vehicles operate in an 8v8 space, where there are 6-7 other players on a map also shooting and contesting you. Meaning your 8 teammates won't be teamshotting, sticking requires them to get close, to which I say, have fun doing it to a Ghost, Banshee, Hornet, etc, boarding is the same. Hammers don't widespread spawn on maps for BTB and are wildly inefficient for vehicle killing unless, again, you walk up to one on open ground, and power weapons again, are being contested by other people.  None of that is depth, lol. And it's not actually a good counter to the vehicles on the map/enabling players to actively counter them. Which just snowballs their ease of use. Which is all my point. They're way too easy for what you're actually able to do to counter them.

"none of these multiple weapons and options are depth", but using dumbass lock-on weapons trying to trigger a cooldown on their ECM is high-level mindgames or what? Come on now. Yes they are too easy to use I never denied that. Teamshot works, just because randoms suck doesn't negate that. Boarding is extremely effective against tanks and overly agressive banshee pilots especially when paired with a PP, power drain or pulse nade.

Now past that, I'm not saying I'm a god, I'm just saying if you're being murdered by jets, somehow as an infantry member, you're making a dumb play. Only because jets aren't good at outright infantry combat like a chopper would be. Too fast, too precise, or their weapons require a lock, pushing them to an anti-vehicle role. Need a lot of open ground, and an unbroken, stable sightline to be murdering relative small targets on foot. And I can only think of one map like that featuring jets. Golmud. And even THEN, A.) A jet already has to contest multiple other aerial vehicles/ground vehicles so going after footsoldiers isn't efficient, and B.) footing it on that map is already the wrong play in and of itself. Maps like Caspian and Kharg before them, also featuring jets, are way too broken up ground wise for jets to be effective against infantry.

I guess you've never played rush on one of the bigger maps. All jets have to do is kill the enemy jet or have a non-aggression pact and then they are completely invincible and can drop bombs and strafe people all day long. How can you say Halo's vehicles are this massive problem but jets in BF are A-okay, it's literally blowing my mind rn.

• Like (+1) 2

There a lot that goes into a vehicles effectiveness. 

Take the h3 warthog. Ignoring the laser for all of this cept sandtrap

Avalanche: all the hotspots are uphill. This makes it not effective on the map other than for transport and killing the hornet. Counters: power drain and rox on quick timers. Two bubbles as well. 

Standoff: all the spawns and approach points are pretty open. Warthog is easily the most powerful on this map. Counters are a power drain, pp, rox, stickies. But the issue is its too open that they dont have to get close. 

Valhalla: spawns are relatively safe. Lots of hills that break los. Base is untouchable pretty much. Lots of rocks to hide behind. Counters: banshee, missile pod, two pps, stickies, power drain. And with the cover u can sneak attack AR it pretty easily. 

Rats nest: all the action takes place in the middle. The sides are just death traps even without vehicles. The purpose of the warthog is to transport and get spawn kills. But to do that you need to clear the base first, which is pretty hard 6v8, so its not poorly balanced. 

Sandbox: basically standoff v2. Only you now a missle pod too and a chopper. A major difference is that turtling in your base is more effective. As u can cut off any shots from the front and shoot everyone behind you. 

Sandtrap: i think this map is complete shit btw. Warthogs are countered by warthogs. Angles are pretty bad some time. Choppers are fast on respawn, u do get ur own laser so theres that. Missle pod is close. 

Last resort: yeah dont think i even have to comment. Its basically useless on this map. 

Vehicles cant get everywhere and are not as good at hiding. The warthog takes two people too. 

The h3 banshee is only good when ur close to get ar’d to no health. I dont think its OP at all. I do think valhalla plays better without the banshee, but peope want to use the shit they used in campaign in mp. I dont think banshee breaks valhalla. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Basu said:

"none of these multiple weapons and options are depth", but using dumbass lock-on weapons trying to trigger a cooldown on their ECM is high-level mindgames or what? Come on now. Yes they are too easy to use I never denied that. Teamshot works, just because randoms suck doesn't negate that. Boarding is extremely effective against tanks and overly agressive banshee pilots especially when paired with a PP, power drain or pulse nade.

I guess you've never played rush on one of the bigger maps. All jets have to do is kill the enemy jet or have a non-aggression pact and then they are completely invincible and can drop bombs and strafe people all day long. How can you say Halo's vehicles are this massive problem but jets in BF are A-okay, it's literally blowing my mind rn.

You're missing my point. I wasn't arguing depth, and I just said I wasn't. I'm only arguing the fact you actually can counter things compared to Halo. And no, teamshot doesn't work, lmao. Likewise, the fact teammates don't teamshot is EXACTLY why it doesn't fucken' work. And it's rare you're actually 8 manning as a squad, calling out in social. Again, the simple fact they're designed to be spongy is pretty shit design at a base in a game with already slow killtimes, and more so leads into my point on how you can nuke vehicles in Battlefield, even as a lone player, with half the kill time. Still also ignores 7 other players with various weapons, map control, and weapon control.

I'm saying vehicles are a problem because you don't have actual, viable counters off the rip, with Halo 4 coming the closest to granting something with PP spawns. Vehicles could literally consistently one shot you in Battlefield, and you still have counters to them to take them down off spawn, unlike Halo, lmao.

• Like (+1) 2

@TheIcePrincess

Is there anything about online Matchmaking Halo that you do like? Vehicles bad, all weapons except utility bad, power ups bad, FF bad, Slayer bad, current nades bad, getting shot from behind with no ability to get away is bad (maybe your stance on this is that in Halo 5 you can with thrust and sprint but what about prior Halos? Did you play them, and if so why?). 

There must be something you like about it with the hours you've put into it, but the way you talk about Halo is like you're making up your own game sometimes. It's almost like you're playing Halo with these thoughts/custom games rules that you hope could happen to standard matchmaking.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong,I don't see every post on here so maybe you've gone over this before. But from my perspective it seems there's more about Halo you would prefer to change than to actually keep, which I think is why you may sometimes see the "stop trying to change Halo" attitude towards you, because it seems you want an entirely different game but because it doesn't exist you're trying to change something that exists already. Do you play other FPS games and if you do, do you go into their forums and try to change several different aspects about how those games play as well?

I'm just genuinely asking/wondering.

• Like (+1) 3

Back when I actually used to play BF3/BF4 nearly every game I would see some helicopter pilot go literally like 50-4 or 70-2 or some shit and unless you made a concerted team effort to take one out he would just flare and run away then recharge his flares and repeat...or just have his engineer repair what paltry damage you did to him a few seconds later.

I can't think of a worse example of "not overpowered, actually counterable vehicles".

Meanwhile in Ce and even to a lesser extent in the other games you can easily just flip vehicles with spawn frags...or shoot the paper mache things down in Reach and 4.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I hate vehicles.  Mostly because i, personally, don't enjoy playing with them or against them.  That being said... i appreciate vehicles being in Halo.  They could be executed better sure, but they give a looooot of people that are not me a lot of frickin joy.  And even when i do play games with them, i can still play "my way" and not have them totally ruin the experience. Other than the banshee in a couple of games, i never really found vehicles in Halo to be totally OP as long as you are paying attention when you are on foot.

imo, one of the best ways to balance vehicles is to actually have the driver/gunner be more directly targetable. The problem when you're on foot isn't mainly that you cant shoot them or survive long enough, its often that the vehicle itself eats shots for the driver.  I really think tweaking that a little bit to expose the driver a tad more and reduce the health pool of the vehicle itself slightly could fix a lot of problems.

Vehicles are one of those things that should have a really low skill floor to use them. They don't need to have a ton of depth frankly. They are actually a fantastic entry point for players that can barely move and shoot at the same time but want to play with their buddies, have fun, and feel like they are contributing.  Halo is not a simulator. I don't think vehicles are the right vehicle (sorry, not sure that even counts as a pun) to purposefully push the skill gap.

• Like (+1) 5

25 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

Quake music and sound effects = instant respect

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JordanB said:

@TheIcePrincess

Is there anything about online Matchmaking Halo that you do like? Vehicles bad, all weapons except utility bad, power ups bad, FF bad, Slayer bad, current nades bad, getting shot from behind with no ability to get away is bad (maybe your stance on this is that in Halo 5 you can with thrust and sprint but what about prior Halos? Did you play them, and if so why?). 

There must be something you like about it with the hours you've put into it, but the way you talk about Halo is like you're making up your own game sometimes. It's almost like you're playing Halo with these thoughts/custom games rules that you hope could happen to standard matchmaking.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong,I don't see every post on here so maybe you've gone over this before. But from my perspective it seems there's more about Halo you would prefer to change than to actually keep, which I think is why you may sometimes see the "stop trying to change Halo" attitude towards you, because it seems you want an entirely different game but because it doesn't exist you're trying to change something that exists already. Do you play other FPS games and if you do, do you go into their forums and try to change several different aspects about how those games play as well?

I'm just genuinely asking/wondering.

I like how most weapons feel, I like its general look in most cases, I like how gameplay can result in more movement overall than say, CoD, so I feel more active, I to a point also like the longer killtimes as a concept.

Yes, I've played past Halos. Mostly to play with friends. Weirdly enough, I didn't really want to play them on my own, barring Reach, only because I was a dumb kid that just played Infection while the rest of the game flounded in bloom, and Halo 4 because it just felt so nice. CE was meh to play on its own, even on PC with added fixes, Halo 2's a game I've never really liked, and Halo 3's Halo 3.

I do play other FPS games (Funny enough, I say this while fucking around on MWR), but I don't really have forums to go to, to bitch about mechanics. Or, rather, I don't care to look any up with how I perceive these games. I still have my insane gripes. Always will, any game will probably tend to suck like that, even ones I love to bits, I just don't care to bitch half the time, and don't have a convenient avenue to.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Post your favorite Halo memory.

2008. Having a "Halo night" with my friends (all in the same room). Isolation Multi Flag BRs comes up. On the enemy team are 4 5 star generals who immediately start talking smack. Now when it comes to my friends and I, we have myself and another mate who were always above average (not amazing, just pretty good) and then two mates who were average.

Game starts, they wipe us out straight away. They sit in our base with our flag melee'ing us over and over, spawn wiping us with the ghost/sniper/rockets. They still haven't scored, they're just killing us over and over. They're US and they have host, we're Australian and we're on yellow bar. We're all frustrated, ready to just leave because they're not even trying to win.

Then a miracle happens. Our least-skilled player kills their sniper. He then noscopes the ghost. Out of fucking nowhere. Then he runs into their base, grabs the flag and walks it into ours. Somehow wins the melee duel, returns our flag and caps.

To this day, we don't know how that happened, but it did, and it put the enemies on tilt. They kept rushing over one by one, getting wiped by us. We ended up winning 3 - 0 five minutes later. It remains the most memorable Halo game I've ever played and I didn't even do well, it was just the stunning turn around my mate did that fired us all up and tilted these guys off the face of the earth.

10/10.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

I've never been to any LANs, never made any montages, and haven't had a dedicated group of people to grind MM with since 2011. 

What country you in?

16 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

US, why?

If you were Australian I'd invite you to the MM grind. I mean... I play on enough US servers anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Shekkles said:

If you were Australian I'd invite you to the MM grind. I mean... I play on enough US servers anyway.

Holy shit I think I found the last person in ANZ playing Halo. 

If all the anz people on this forum teamed up they could play 4s together in customs and not have to deal with american ping

8 hours ago, Riddler said:

If all the anz people on this forum teamed up they could play 4s together in customs and not have to deal with american ping

Lol

On 8/8/2019 at 7:59 PM, Shekkles said:

Post your favorite Halo memory.

2008. Having a "Halo night" with my friends (all in the same room). Isolation Multi Flag BRs comes up. On the enemy team are 4 5 star generals who immediately start talking smack. Now when it comes to my friends and I, we have myself and another mate who were always above average (not amazing, just pretty good) and then two mates who were average.

Game starts, they wipe us out straight away. They sit in our base with our flag melee'ing us over and over, spawn wiping us with the ghost/sniper/rockets. They still haven't scored, they're just killing us over and over. They're US and they have host, we're Australian and we're on yellow bar. We're all frustrated, ready to just leave because they're not even trying to win.

Then a miracle happens. Our least-skilled player kills their sniper. He then noscopes the ghost. Out of fucking nowhere. Then he runs into their base, grabs the flag and walks it into ours. Somehow wins the melee duel, returns our flag and caps.

To this day, we don't know how that happened, but it did, and it put the enemies on tilt. They kept rushing over one by one, getting wiped by us. We ended up winning 3 - 0 five minutes later. It remains the most memorable Halo game I've ever played and I didn't even do well, it was just the stunning turn around my mate did that fired us all up and tilted these guys off the face of the earth.

10/10.

It’s wild how Halo is one of the only video games I have ever played where certain online matches or moments remain unforgettable, even years after the fact. 

It truly is a magical franchise, and it really pains me to see how far it’s fallen and how it will likely never recapture even a fraction of its former glory. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, darkstar said:

It’s wild how Halo is one of the only video games I have ever played where certain online matches or moments remain unforgettable, even years after the fact. 

It truly is a magical franchise, and it really pains me to see how far it’s fallen and how it will likely never recapture even a fraction of its former glory. 

Uuuuuuuuuh. Have you played anything you've enjoyed outside of Halo, lmao.

24 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Uuuuuuuuuh. Have you played anything you've enjoyed outside of Halo, lmao.

Honestly can't remember anything in the past decade in any other franchise.

Straight up can remember killing myself till -15 on Team Snipers on Lockout. Whole team is yelling at me, decide to start playing. Killing spree, Running Riot, Rampage. Turn around and won the game being down like 20 kills. Added one of the dudes in the game and continued to play games with him until he sold his xbox one. This all happened over a decade ago.

Can't even remember what I did in Destiny or Apex yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Honestly can't remember anything in the past decade in any other franchise.

Straight up can remember killing myself till -15 on Team Snipers on Lockout. Whole team is yelling at me, decide to start playing. Killing spree, Running Riot, Rampage. Turn around and won the game being down like 20 kills. Added one of the dudes in the game and continued to play games with him until he sold his xbox one. This all happened over a decade ago.

Can't even remember what I did in Destiny or Apex yesterday.

Yeah, because you aren't likely to remember what you don't necessarily enjoy, and are also less likely to remember, by probability's standards if you don't sink time into a franchise. It's no surprise to me you remember something from Halo 2, but not something (Yet) from a game that just launched last/this year that you probably don't have time, or actual personal investment in. It doesn't really speak to Halo's power, just what you happened to enjoy in that timeframe, and you're more likely to make memories if you play it more. I can do the same recollection for every franchise I've enjoyed enough to have played alongside Halo. Doesn't give them magic power. I just happened to play them a lot, enjoy them a lot, and remember the experiences vividly. Can apply it to outside of games, too. It's just circumstantial memories, and you happen to remember your experiences with Halo the most. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Yeah, because you aren't likely to remember what you don't necessarily enjoy, and are also less likely to remember, by probability's standards if you don't sink time into a franchise. It's no surprise to me you remember something from Halo 2, but not something (Yet) from a game that just launched last/this year that you probably don't have time, or actual personal investment in. It doesn't really speak to Halo's power, just what you happened to enjoy in that timeframe, and you're more likely to make memories if you play it more. I can do the same recollection for every franchise I've enjoyed enough to have played alongside Halo. Doesn't give them magic power. I just happened to play them a lot, enjoy them a lot, and remember the experiences vividly. Can apply it to outside of games, too. It's just circumstantial memories, and you happen to remember your experiences with Halo the most. 

Stop shitting on other people's warm fuzzies.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Why would I play something I don't enjoy? There is a plethora of games available to me right now and I continue to play Destiny because I don't like it? I have over 600 hours pumped into Destiny as a franchise and while that pales in comparison to Halo, I do genuinely enjoy the franchise. Running Vault of Glass blind for the first time was extremely rewarding and fun, but I can barley even remember what takes place in that raid.

I'm not trying to advocate that Halo has some magic power that makes memories, merely that I don't have those memories outside of Halo, even with franchises that I enjoy playing.