CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

You don’t think the ricochet mechanic has the potential for tons of griefing in vehicle heavy gametypes?  It’s really easy to step in front of a Warthog to make your teammate kill himself.  That’s an acceptable mechanic so you don’t catch the occasional nade?

• Fire (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

You don’t think the ricochet mechanic has the potential for tons of griefing in vehicle heavy gametypes?  It’s really easy to step in front of a Warthog to make your teammate kill himself.  That’s an acceptable mechanic so you don’t catch the occasional nade?

Sure, lol. In an ideal, peachy world, it'd make people not get into vehicles as much because it's not worth the trouble, resulting in a gunfight based game on a larger scale. TOTAL win/win in my book, lmao. 

• WutFace (+0) 1

You dislike vehicles too, in addition to power ups and power weapons and grenades?

15 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

So, you have two 4v4 games going on. One is a TO4 stomping on you, and the other is a straight 4v4 with two teams of pros, you (hahaa) among them. You lose the first game 0-3, being spawnkilled, as a solo queuer. You lose the second game 2-3 with an even statline, since everyone's of even skill and party size. 

Two shitty games vs. one shitty game and one good time. 

Wow. What a conundrum you've presented to me. 

• Like (+1) 4

50 minutes ago, Boyo said:

If some idiot teammate runs in front of my Warthog, do I just die and leave them driverless with ricochet?

This is an amazing situation to think about. Can you imagine how hilarious/controller-breakingly-frustrating this would be if it wasn't playtested?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Shekkles said:

This is an amazing situation to think about. Can you imagine how hilarious/controller-breakingly-frustrating this would be if it wasn't playtested?

If you were driving home a flag carrier, a teammate could stand in a choke point to prevent you from passing.

16 minutes ago, Boyo said:

If you were driving home a flag carrier, a teammate could stand in a choke point to prevent you from passing.

Nvm. Read wrong.

56 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I never said I didn't wanna be shot in the back, I just said it's more likely to occur in Halo, and is an issue with sensitivity curves on a console shooter

Fair.

I openly want matchmaking, never said I didn't.

Ok

How can you takeaway "I don't like objective" from what I say when I've gone on tirades about only wanting to play CTF, and have ranted on how Slayer is an absolutely trash gametype to me, lol. So much of this is wrong, stop it. At the least, read/understand what I say. Or better yet, just ask me to be certain. It's happened a few times tonight, being told what I feel/what I want. When it isn't that way, and I despise it.

Well that's my bad. It's hard to read your posts because I frequently exhibit floccinaucinihilipilification. 

Now, about that "real Halo movement". Can we also stop fucking parading shit about as real or fake based on a preference. Joke or not, it's just patronizing garbage. And is tired. And overblown. Halo 5's movement is just as real and existent as Halo 3's. We can stop beating the horse any day, now. Its bones are actually dust.

Yes, but 2 things:

1) Being facetious about things you don't like is easier than accepting it's the new reality.

2) Halo 5 doesn't adhere to anything set by the original trilogy that defined three entire generations of gaming (sixth generation console, online play, seventh generation console).

It doesn't look, sound, play, or behave like the original trilogy. It copies trends, it doesn't innovate, it doesn't run well (lol forge map performance), its graphics are, fidelity wise, inferior to Halo: Reach, it's campaign would be laughable if I hadn't already forgotten what happened and it's weapon and enemy design are passive and boring.

It. Is. Shit.

So when I say real Halo I mean "Halo when it set trends rather than followed them." 

I 100% accept I'm in denial that Halo 5 is real and the new standard for Halo. But if I accept Halo 5 is the new standard for Halo, my favorite series of all time is, as you say, dust. My time on this forum is dust, my Xbox One is dust, my speck of hope for Halo: Infinite is dust. I can't accept it because that would mean it's gone.

TL;DR: I'm in denial, chasing the ghosts of a great series and I spend hours each week talking about it on a dying forum thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 7

Ranked is full of parties, expect to get shit on if you don't socialize with your entire team. I think the bigger problem here is the lack of party matching. I know it's a broken record but I feel like we underestimate how important that shit is. You guys should be matching solos and duos not 3s and 4s.

• Like (+1) 1

Halo on PC will be GOAT because people tend to actually use their microphones in-game as even if you are using 3rd party comms (TS/ Discord etc) you aren't just restricted to that comms system, you can use in-game and discord at the same time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

Tbh I've never really put any thought into the idea of ricochet in Halo before now but the more I think about it and how it would be implemented into Halo the more incoherent it starts to sound, and if CS can function without ricochet then I think it's safe to say friendly fire isn't inherently a bad mechanic. Feel free to prove otherwise though, but let's just say I'm going to take my chances with the CS community on this one over the opinions of a few forum users, no offence intended. 

• Like (+1) 2

343i fanboys:  YoU jUsT wAnT a OnE gUn GaMe!!!

Classic Fans: Uh, no? Stop using that idiotic unoriginal strawman, that is not at all what we are saying.

Princess:  Well hold on now...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 3

9 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Halo on PC will be GOAT because people tend to actually use their microphones in-game as even if you are using 3rd party comms (TS/ Discord etc) you aren't just restricted to that comms system, you can use in-game and discord at the same time.

For real, PC has way more mic players 

2 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

Classic Fans: Uh, no? Stop using that idiotic unoriginal strawman, that is not at all what we are saying.

Wait a minute! 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Let's be perfectly clear, here.

This forum and the Halo community at large, competitive or otherwise, have thrived on modified gametypes that we, in our smug opinions, play better than what's available. We also choose our personal favorite Halo title based on the same criteria. Outside of the casual-competitive trash talk divide that has long since been entombed in Halo's history, no one has ever given anyone grief for enjoying a particular gametype. A person who enjoys playing SWAT has never had to deal with people coming down on them about playing what they like. 

Unless, said SWAT fan:

1. Makes a concerted and obnoxiously persistent effort to tell people that normal slayer is fundamentally broken when it very clearly isn't

2. Phrases their arguments in the form of what they hate about default slayer rather than what they like about SWAT, which makes their arguments seem petty and juvenile

3. Makes it a point to consistently push the radical superiority of the characteristics of SWAT to people they know for a fact will not be receptive to the idea...

4. ...While relentlessly obfuscating their argument, steadfastly denying that SWAT is even what they want

Gee, I wonder why we have these arguments. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 4
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Guys I think SWAT is a metaphor for magnum-only husky raid with no nades or melee. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

11 hours ago, OG Nick said:

So you want a game with focused on gunplay where you don't have to worry about teammates doing teammate things or any other halo type things in halo. I have a game for you...

Quake-Logo.jpg

Quake has powerups/weps tho. She wants quake except its lightning gun only and u get h5 abilities. 

Pistol only objective on Breakout maps

5 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

Listen to the classic fans, dude. They know what they're talking about.

13 hours ago, Boyo said:

You dislike vehicles too, in addition to power ups and power weapons and grenades?

At least how Halo handles them, yeah. They're mindnumbingly easy death machines and have basically been nothing but such since this franchise's conception. Except for, funny enough, Halo 4 and Halo 2: Anniversary. Where the latter had a Ghost you could kill in one shot if it put its side to your field of view, which was great. A game like Battlefield just usurps Halo on that front in general. Having hard to use helis that require actual, proper coordination and skill to even fly effectively, let alone gun people down with. Not even talking about jets and their entire curve of learning. Also not counting the fact players can actually spawn with viable counters so they're not unable to fight back/only deal baby damage, while giving some solo dude free kills. Halo on the converse side has easy to operate, easy to kill with vehicles that are, most of the time, hilariously bullet spongy. It's a joke. 

Battlefield's vehicles are harder to handle, that is undeniable. But the vehicle-infantry interaction in BF is usually complete shit. Jets are invincible and can just rape infantry all game with no repercussions. Same goes for helis unless you decided to spawn with random gadget #1 (Stinger or Igla) which hard-counters them. But then you get destroyed by tanks and IFVs. It's just rock-paper-scissors between engineers and helis/tanks with jets laughing their asses to the bank because they're broken and invincible to everything but the enemies jets lol.

At least in Halo you can teamshot them to death, stick em, board em, hammer them off the map, use your skill to acquire a rocket, missile pod or sentinel beam to counter them (fuck the laser btw) etc. Much more depth to it than "spawn with X and win every engagement against Y"

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Basu said:

Jets are invincible and can just rape infantry all game with no repercussions.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, oooooooooooooooooooooooookay.

2 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, oooooooooooooooooooooooookay.

Oh I forgot you're probably a god at BF too and hit jets with your RPG on the reg.

5 minutes ago, Basu said:

Battlefield's vehicles are harder to handle, that is undeniable. But the vehicle-infantry interaction in BF is usually complete shit. Jets are invincible and can just rape infantry all game with no repercussions. Same goes for helis unless you decided to spawn with random gadget #1 (Stinger or Igla) which hard-counters them. But then you get destroyed by tanks and IFVs. It's just rock-paper-scissors between engineers and helis/tanks with jets laughing their asses to the bank because they're broken and invincible to everything but the enemies jets lol.

At least in Halo you can teamshot them to death, stick em, board em, hammer them off the map, use your skill to acquire a rocket, missile pod or sentinel beam to counter them (fuck the laser btw) etc. Much more depth to it than "spawn with X and win every engagement against Y"

On the real, past a one worder here. Depth wasn't my point. A hard counter to me (Which it isn't.) is still better than actually having next to nothing. You're outright able to fight back. That isn't the case with Halo. Teamshot means nothing when vehicles operate in an 8v8 space, where there are 6-7 other players on a map also shooting and contesting you. Meaning your 8 teammates won't be teamshotting, sticking requires them to get close, to which I say, have fun doing it to a Ghost, Banshee, Hornet, etc, boarding is the same. Hammers don't widespread spawn on maps for BTB and are wildly inefficient for vehicle killing unless, again, you walk up to one on open ground, and power weapons again, are being contested by other people.  None of that is depth, lol. And it's not actually a good counter to the vehicles on the map/enabling players to actively counter them. Which just snowballs their ease of use. Which is all my point. They're way too easy for what you're actually able to do to counter them.

Just now, Basu said:

Oh I forgot you're probably a god at BF too and hit jets with your RPG on the reg.

Now past that, I'm not saying I'm a god, I'm just saying if you're being murdered by jets, somehow as an infantry member, you're making a dumb play. Only because jets aren't good at outright infantry combat like a chopper would be. Too fast, too precise, or their weapons require a lock, pushing them to an anti-vehicle role. Need a lot of open ground, and an unbroken, stable sightline to be murdering relative small targets on foot. And I can only think of one map like that featuring jets. Golmud. And even THEN, A.) A jet already has to contest multiple other aerial vehicles/ground vehicles so going after footsoldiers isn't efficient, and B.) footing it on that map is already the wrong play in and of itself. Maps like Caspian and Kharg before them, also featuring jets, are way too broken up ground wise for jets to be effective against infantry.

Helicopter pilots flat out can play an entire game without dying unless you hit them with a lucky manually aimed rocket. All the shit that is supposed to counter them are made null and void by way too effective countermeasures, in combination of way too effective repair abilities, and far to many line of sight breaks. Even if you magically hit them with any of the tracking rockets, the shots are too weak to kill, and just results in the pilots fucking off somewhere where no infantry can reach to repair and continue their uncontested rape spree.

• Like (+1) 2