CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

Moving in any direction while shooting vs moving in one direction while not shooting.  Which sounds more skillful to you?

Neither, inherently. It all depends on what you're doing or able to do in either game. 

Advanced movement turns Halo into a turn based game.  On my first turn, I move.  On my second turn, I shoot.  Performing one task at a time takes less skill than performing the tasks simultaneously.

What about clamber?  Do you think activating an automatic animation takes more skill than timing a crouch jump or are these just “different skills” as well?

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Advanced movement turns Halo into a turn based game.  On my first turn, I move.  On my second turn, I shoot.  Performing one task at a time takes less skill than performing the tasks simultaneously.

Arguably. You could say the flood of multitasking information makes combat boil down into circumstance by movement. Because we know humans have hard times truly multitasking. And that segmenting combat pushes it more into realistically thinking territory. Not saying it does for my argument. Just saying, doing more at once isn't necessarily a skill, lol. Because biologically we can't inherently do that in a way that is feasible here.

Although, turn-based is a pretty big stretch. Given you can move and shoot in Halo 5. And shooting isn't dependent on the opponent making a move.

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

What about clamber?  Do you think activating an automatic animation takes more skill than timing a crouch jump or are these just “different skills” as well?

Clamber, a mechanic designed around specific ledges it's meant to be used for, vs. a mechanic that is sorta key to getting into areas that aren't accessible by normal jumping. Kinda poor comparison.

Apt comparison would be top yellow's jump, over just clambering. Having to gain momentum, crouch jump, and clamber upwards. The answer is obvious, different skills for different situations. 

• WutFace (+0) 1

Are you seriously trying to tell me that moving and aiming at the same time is too mentally taxing for humans using a device with two thumbsticks dedicated to those tasks?

Which takes more skill, perfectly timing a crouch jump or pressing a button with a forgiving window that automatically pulls you up?

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Are you seriously trying to tell me that moving and aiming at the same time is too mentally taxing for humans using a device with two thumbsticks dedicated to those tasks?

Which takes more skill, perfectly timing a crouch jump or pressing a button with a forgiving window that automatically pulls you up?

Did I not just fucking say I wasn't using it as an actual point, but was just saying that "doing more at once doesn't mean it takes more skill". OBVIOUSLY we're not idiots in the sense we can't multitask Halo.

And again, different strokes, dude. Not a good scenario for comparison.

Which has a larger window for success on the most difficult jumps, clamber or crouch jump?

Just now, Boyo said:

Which has a larger window for success on the most difficult jumps, clamber or crouch jump?

5 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Not a good scenario for comparison.

We can’t debate if you refuse to answer direct questions.  

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

We can’t debate if you refuse to answer direct questions.  

Again, don't compare two different actions as if they're equal or one, lol. As I brought up here:

19 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Clamber, a mechanic designed around specific ledges it's meant to be used for, vs. a mechanic that is sorta key to getting into areas that aren't accessible by normal jumping. Kinda poor comparison.

Apt comparison would be top yellow's jump, over just clambering. Having to gain momentum, crouch jump, and clamber upwards. The answer is obvious, different skills for different situations. 

But that’s not what I asked you.  You can’t just answer a different question because answering the one that was asked would hurt your argument.

• Fire (+1) 1

Just now, Boyo said:

But that’s not what I asked you.  You can’t just answer a different question because answering the one that was asked would hurt your argument.

It wouldn't hurt my argument when it's a dumb point that has nothing to do with my argument. 

I would literally answer it with "Obviously the mechanic designed to work in this specific circumstance would have a higher success rate than the one that gets players to reach out of reach places easier, outside of a designed sandbox". Because one is designed for its circumstance. The other wasn't inherently designed for. It just happens as a result of the physics engine we have, lol. 

But it wouldn't change anything. It's not my argument, or a part of it. It's a false equivalence at the least. And mindnumbingly irrelevant to me. 

• Thonking (+0) 1

We can continue when you can answer the questions that are asked and not some question you made up in your head and decided to answer.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

We can continue when you can answer the questions that are asked and not some question you made up in your head and decided to answer.

You mean this. 

16 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Where a success window on a clamber ledge is higher BY DESIGN when it's designed with the fucking mechanic in mind. Versus crouch jumping, which isn't. Difficult or not, clamber ledges are designed with it in mind. So you're intended to make it. Crouch jumping is the opposite. You're not intended to make half of these ledges in a conventional sense. 

Surprise, success rates differ. And are higher for an inherently designed part of a game. Which still holds nothing to my real argument. At all. And changes nothing. But just wastes my time. Get better examples. Or at least different ones.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What is your source on what jumps are intended to be made with crouch jump and which are not?

Let’s try this.  Pick a mechanic and tell me why it is better than classic movement.

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What is your source on what jumps are intended to be made and which are not?

If you have to jump through literal hoops to get to a ledge, chances are, you're not intended to make the jump, lol. Doesn't make them hard in hindsight, but if you're basic jump mechanic isn't gonna make the jump, you're not intended to reach it conventionally. 

Of course, let's skip the middleman and get to the meat. 

At the highest level, does movement in competitive Halo 5 take more or less skill than Halo 3?

You have no idea what the developers intended so stop pretending like you do.

5 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

At the highest level, does movement in competitive Halo 5 take more or less skill than Halo 3?

I haven’t competed at the highest levels in both games so I don’t know.  Have you?

16 minutes ago, Boyo said:

You have no idea what the developers intended so stop pretending like you do.

No, mom.

13 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I haven’t competed at the highest levels in both games so I don’t know.  Have you?

Half honest, but still disingenuous. But yokay, that's about where this ends. 

You calling someone else disingenuous is fucking rich.

• Downvote (-1) 1

MultiLockOn and Hard Way have retired fighting TheIcePrincess, now Boyo steps up to the task.

• Simms (+1) 1

I personally enjoyed how it felt to move in the Evolved settings. You were fast, could turn directions on a hair, your jump was just floaty enough to reach higher ground, and at almost no point you would lose your ability to shoot.

No other Halo has had movement that crisp. No other Halo ever will.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Boyo said:

You calling someone else disingenuous is fucking rich.

Refer to last response.

5 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

MultiLockOn and Hard Way have retired fighting TheIcePrincess, now Boyo steps up to the task.

Stepping up to a throne of my caliber is a task, indeed. People slip and fall, sometimes. Because ice. Hahaa.

• Fire (+1) 1

Do you want me to say that movement in Halo 5 takes more skill than Halo 3?  That’s debatable and not an objective fact.  The jump that started this whole discussion is extremely difficult to perform.  Some jumps in Halo 5 are extremely difficult to perform.  Not sure what you want me to say.  But feel free to act like a moody child.

Just because movement in Halo 5 takes more effort, constantly pressing buttons, doesn’t necessarily mean it takes more skill.