CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Just now, The Tyco said:

The current punishments suffice. No mechanics are needed.

I disagree.  When every player can deal instant death, there needs to be mechanical punishments for missing.

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

I disagree.  When every player can deal instant death, there needs to be mechanical punishments for missing.

Again, why?

Just now, The Tyco said:

Again, why?

Because it makes good players better and bad players worse.

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

That's the same argument for having power weapons on a pick-up timer. "If you don't grab the rockets the first time, you should have even less of a chance of getting them the second time." 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BigShow36 said:

That's the same argument for having power weapons on a pick-up timer. "If you don't grab the rockets the first time, you should have even less of a chance of getting them the second time." 

I fail to recognize your analogy.

31 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I am not advocating for bloom mechanics in any gametype but a one shot kill gametype.  The Magnum should shoot perfectly straight.  There can be added depth in one shot kill gametypes by punishing missed shots.

Not even sure why im doing this... but here it goes.

Missing a shot is already punishment.  You do 0 damage. You alert the enemy to where you are. You do not get a kill.

25 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Does anyone disagree with the fact that players who miss shots should be punished by game mechanics in a one shot kill gametype?

They already are.... see above

22 minutes ago, Boyo said:

It gives the gametype more depth.  There is not much to work with in a one shot kill gametype.  This is one of the few ways that depth can be added.

No it does not.  Randomness =/= depth.  Depth equals depth.  An accurate projectile weapon with proper aim assist and magnetism balance is about as deep as you can get. Let players separate themselves based on their own skill, period.

20 minutes ago, Boyo said:

You don’t think the game should punish players who miss?  You don’t think players who hit their first shot should be rewarded?  Bloom enforces these ideals.

See 1 and 2.  It already does.  Thats the point you seem to be consciously ignoring.

10 minutes ago, Boyo said:

This does not do what you think it does.   Randomness makes good players worse and bad players better.  It shrinks the skill gap, doesn't make it wider. Bad players randomly hit shots they should not, good players miss shots where they were perfectly accurate.

Honestly a better solution that satisifies you insatiable desire to punish players that miss is a SWAT gametype where you spawn with only one bullet in the chamber, no reloads.  When you get a kill, you get one more bullet. Therefore the only way to be able to continue shooting is to get a kill with your first shot, every shot.

• Fire (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Good Player: Kills you instantly.

Bad Player: Dies instantly.

You're trying to solve a problem that simply does not exist in SWAT. There is no issue with this, never has been. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Honestly a better solution that satisifies you insatiable desire to punish players that miss is a SWAT gametype where you spawn with only one bullet in the chamber, no reloads.  When you get a kill, you get one more bullet. Therefore the only way to be able to continue shooting is to get a kill with your first shot, every shot.

At this point, it wouldn't even be SWAT anymore.  More like, "Man With The Golden Gun."

• Simms (+1) 1

Why are we discussing SWAT like it's not a throwaway gametype that's inherently unbalanced and not-Halo 

• Like (+1) 7

Boyo is trying to unite beyond into one family again by becoming the antagonist. I'm very impressed with him, especially if he posts his gamertag.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OG Nick said:

Boyo is trying to unite beyond into one family again by becoming the antagonist. I'm very impressed with him, especially if he posts his gamertag.

I mean, my maps are kinda shitty.  Sitri Stahl.

9 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Why are we discussing SWAT like it's not a throwaway gametype that's inherently unbalanced and not-Halo 

Slow week, I guess.

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

You don’t think the game should punish players who miss?  You don’t think players who hit their first shot should be rewarded?  Bloom enforces these ideals.

I'm gonna say this once, now listen closely.

If you miss in SWAT, then the punishment is that you die because the other person probably won't.

People who hit their first shot, are rewarded because its a 1 shot kill gametype so they kill them.

The only part where bloom comes into play, is if both players miss, at which point bloom makes it random, because sure you could not shoot until you had de-bloomed, but because its a 1HK gametype, just spamming the trigger gives you a pretty high chance of killing them before they are ready to shoot again.

Bloom isn't a 'punishment' for missing, its just fucking stupid.

• Like (+1) 3

I feel like there is a drinking game somewhere in the last 5 pages of this thread.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

The 3 facts of life

1. SWAT will forever be in Halo
  2. SWAT will never be respected competitively (that's not a bad thing)
  3. Bloom is a bad thing
  • Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

I feel like there is a drinking game somewhere in the last 5 pages of this thread.

I chuckled. 

• Like (+1) 1

I found it amusing that no one brought up the fact that hitting your shot brings with it the exact same penalty as missing your shot. It's not like getting a kill resets your bloom.

Also, what a dumb fucking conversation.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

getting a kill resets your bloom.

This would be awesome.

• WutFace (+0) 1

11 hours ago, Boyo said:

I want to punish players who miss and reward players who hit.  We just have to figure out the best way to accomplish that.

Hmm, how about this. The person who doesn't miss gets to add a point to their score whereas the person who misses doesn't?

• Thonking (+0) 1

1 minute ago, xSociety said:

Hmm, how about this. The person who doesn't miss gets to add a point to their score whereas the person who misses doesn't?

You’re so smart.  I wish I had thought of that.

Boyo... you're literally defending one of Halo's shittiest mechanics because in certain niche cases in a gimmicky 1-shot gametype it might be beneficial. And even then, your idea falls apart as soon as you're fighting more than one enemy or both players miss their first shot. NEXT.

• Like (+1) 2

This gimmicky gametype is closer to real Halo than anything had been for the past decade.

• WutFace (+0) 1

Bloom is the same as sprint here.  You're solving a "problem" with an unnecessary gimmick that just introduces more problems...when simple mechanical changes would already suffice to solve it.

Don't want people to "spam"?  Then just lower the RoF of weapons so missed shots are punished by actually leaving you vulnerable for a significant period of time.  I mean is this not what Team Snipers already does in relation?  And isn't the easymode spam the exact reason people choose SWAT over Team Snipers in the first place?

• Like (+1) 1

We've peaked. We have someone defending bloom.

• Like (+1) 1

Bloom is more interesting than a lower rate of fire.  It punishes ADHD kids who can’t keep their finger off the trigger.

• WutFace (+0) 1