Jump to content
CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

The population argument might hold up for MCC sometimes, but correct me if i'm wrong Australians, it was never really a problem during Halo 3 or Reach?  Its one of those times where having P2P instead of dedicated server can be an advantage.  If you're trying to defend MCC population/connectivity by basically saying "Fuck you australians, you don't count" you can shut up and gtfo. You don't need to be a part of the conversation.

That’s basically what I’m saying tbh. I’ve never cared for the minority opinion simply because the weight it carries is basically zero when getting answered. Australians being few in halo isn’t new and it’s quite common in most console games, but you don’t see them complaining in pc games don’t ya? In fact EU has always had a problem on console games because they’re very few,  most of EU gamers are pc! Which is why I wish I lived in eu, when it comes to console Americans are dominant. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Squatting Bear said:

After reading numerous posts by people attempting to seriously convince others that Power Weapons don't belong in Halo's multiplayer...I think it's safe to say this place isn't much better.

Plenty of people there shit on anyone who says Reach isn't a fantastic game so idk about that.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think the demographic is just changing and new fans are taking the mainstream media reigns. What's sad is that they remember Reach fondly (usually) for all the wrong reasons. Considering it's what they first played and or grew up with they are more than likely going to protect it over anything else. The game's enormous flaws and poor design is cast aside because they don't see it as that. While growing up with the game these types of fans never questioned if the game was fair or well designed, all it came down to was if they had fun and made memories while doing so. Once they grow up a little and start defending their opinions, they use those memories associated with certain gameplay mechanics as a reasoning towards the feature or mechanic being either good or fine. I'm not going to lie, I did exactly this with H3 and early Reach way back when and I'm sure a whole bunch of others did too. Everything changed once I became a more competitive player and ventured out to other Halos. It's all about broadening your understanding of what made each of the past games great as well as understanding their flaws. This can only be done through commitment and long term experience, but as we all know most Reach kids do not have this.

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Squatting Bear said:

After reading numerous posts by people attempting to seriously convince others that Power Weapons don't belong in Halo's multiplayer...I think it's safe to say this place isn't much better.

I'll open my mouth, and when I do, fucking hook me. Catch me. Hook, line, sinker.

 

  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

I think the demographic is just changing and new fans are taking the mainstream media reigns. What's sad is that they remember Reach fondly (usually) for all the wrong reasons. Considering it's what they first played and or grew up with they are more than likely going to protect it over anything else. The game's enormous flaws and poor design is cast aside because they don't see it as that. While growing up with the game these types of fans never questioned if the game was fair or well designed, all it came down to was if they had fun and made memories while doing so. Once they grow up a little and start defending their opinions, they use those memories associated with certain gameplay mechanics as a reasoning towards the feature or mechanic being either good or fine. I'm not going to lie, I did exactly this with H3 and early Reach way back when and I'm sure a whole bunch of others did too. Everything changed once I became a more competitive player and ventured out to other Halos. It's all about broadening your understanding of what made each of the past games great as well as understanding their flaws. This can only be done through commitment and long term experience, but as we all know most Reach kids do not have this.

Definitely not wrong, I had a hell of a great time on reach, more than any halo tbh, started playing competitive(MLG) in that game. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

The ZBNS MLG settings in a ranked playlist is going to be interesting. Should be fun. 

Have they mentioned anything about party matching? Not having it makes rank playlists mediocre as fuck. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

I think the demographic is just changing and new fans are taking the mainstream media reigns. What's sad is that they remember Reach fondly (usually) for all the wrong reasons. Considering it's what they first played and or grew up with they are more than likely going to protect it over anything else. The game's enormous flaws and poor design is cast aside because they don't see it as that. While growing up with the game these types of fans never questioned if the game was fair or well designed, all it came down to was if they had fun and made memories while doing so. Once they grow up a little and start defending their opinions, they use those memories associated with certain gameplay mechanics as a reasoning towards the feature or mechanic being either good or fine. I'm not going to lie, I did exactly this with H3 and early Reach way back when and I'm sure a whole bunch of others did too. Everything changed once I became a more competitive player and ventured out to other Halos. It's all about broadening your understanding of what made each of the past games great as well as understanding their flaws. This can only be done through commitment and long term experience, but as we all know most Reach kids do not have this.

People like Reach because of everything other than its core gameplay, oddly enough. People like the campaign, firefight, the art direction, the customization, the social features, Forge World & custom games, and all the fun there was to be had with those things. This is part of why Halo 3 is so venerated as well, though 3 had better core gameplay and a far more active competitive scene than Reach, which made it more well rounded. Even by today's standards, Reach is an extremely robust and complete shooter. Really, what other shooter has as much content and replayability (all tied together flawlessly by the snappy and intuitive UI, no less)?

Since 343 took over, not only have the gameplay decisions been extremely controversial, but many auxiliary features have been removed or gutted. I think even Halo 4, being as bad as it was, would have still held a community for longer if the forge wasn't so bad and all the custom variants & options from Reach were present. Hell, I remember spending hours hunting down and downloading a ton of forge maps and custom games for Halo 5 to try and relive those Reach-esque glory days of minigame lobbies with the boys... only to find out 343 had completely broken forge in an update and all content creators would have to save and re-upload their maps & variants after the next patch. I was so demoralized by this that I never even tried again.

Reach was THE definitive template for a Halo game and this is the primary reason why it is so fondly remembered despite the extremely controversial gameplay decisions. For Halo to return to form, it doesn't only need to have a well-executed classic gameplay formula, it needs to be at least as feature complete as Reach was, and all of these things need to work better than they ever have before. On top of that, they probably have to include most of the extra things that have been put in since then such as Warzone and spectator mode, AND whatever new stuff they have cooking up.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I'll open my mouth, and when I do, fuck

pQV90P5.gif

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 3
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post

us fello w anime profile pictures must support our degenerate friends you dumb bitch

 

Dont ban me

  • Downvote (-1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Ranked Slayer is a mistake and we should burn that shit to the ground. Arena should be the only ranked 4's playlist in any Halo game moving forward. 

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Ranked Slayer is a mistake and we should burn that shit to the ground. Arena should be the only ranked playlist in any Halo game moving forward. 

Ranked Team Arena, FFA Arena and Doubles if it isn't dogshit like it's been the past few games. Everything else should be social.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Just create a robust API and let Halotracker handle the ranks for all the unranked playlists.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Im going to just make piece with the fact that playlists like Slayer and SWAT are going to be ranked.  All i ask is that these lists be capped. You can't get Master/Grandmaster/Champion. The ranks tops out at 50 in any ranked playlist other than Arena, 2v2, FFA. There are no seasons.  There is rank decay if you stop playing.  Or "Rank hiding" something like, "You haven't played this playlist in a while, win 1 game to get reranked."  I don't like that people can just sprint to a 50 then quit and hold onto that forever.  But it also seems unfair to totally strip a rank from someone that just went to play another game or other playlists for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Basu said:

Ranked Team Arena, FFA Arena and Doubles if it isn't dogshit like it's been the past few games. Everything else should be social.

A rotational ranked 4th playlist is a solid idea. I really like the idea of rotational ranked lists with XP/cosmetic incentives attached.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

Im going to just make piece with the fact that playlists like Slayer and SWAT are going to be ranked.  All i ask is that these lists be capped. You can't get Master/Grandmaster/Champion. The ranks tops out at 50 in any ranked playlist other than Arena, 2v2, FFA. There are no seasons.  There is rank decay if you stop playing.  Or "Rank hiding" something like, "You haven't played this playlist in a while, win 1 game to get reranked."  I don't like that people can just sprint to a 50 then quit and hold onto that forever.  But it also seems unfair to totally strip a rank from someone that just went to play another game or other playlists for a while.

There won't be a cap in a Team Slayer ranked playlist. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Hard Way said:

A rotational ranked 4th playlist is a solid idea. I really like the idea of rotational ranked lists with XP/cosmetic incentives attached.

I could get behind that. What I'd really like to see the return of is double XP weekend though, that shit was so fun and really got the community to play together. Rotational playlists are nowhere near as exciting (of course the fact most rotational playlists are complete ass also plays into that).

Share this post


Link to post

 

10 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Ranked Slayer is a mistake and we should burn that shit to the ground. Arena should be the only ranked 4's playlist in any Halo game moving forward. 

Factual information right here.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Rotational playlists is similar to the "yappening" in MCC. It's just 343's way of saying "Lol look how random and wacky we are!" Lol, make a good Halo game, first.

And bring back double XP weekends like an adult.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, Donald Trump said:

Rotational playlists is similar to the "yappening" in MCC. It's just 343's way of saying "Lol look how random and wacky we are!" Lol, make a good Halo game, first.

And bring back double XP weekends like an adult.

This is such a childish critique. Rotational playlists are a great way to keep community interest in the game longer term, and can bring incentives for people to play a playlist that normally would have a low population, but more people will play it when it’s limited time and has rewards tied to it. Double XP weekends are also great, both can be successfully implemented.

 

i would also like to see daily/weekly/monthly challenges in the game. As well as combined challenges for the community; for example, ‘get 1,000,000 headshots’ and if it’s completed everyone who participated gets a reward.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, andregr said:

This is such a childish critique. Rotational playlists are a great way to keep community interest in the game longer term, and can bring incentives for people to play a playlist that normally would have a low population, but more people will play it when it’s limited time and has rewards tied to it. Double XP weekends are also great, both can be successfully implemented.

 

i would also like to see daily/weekly/monthly challenges in the game. As well as combined challenges for the community; for example, ‘get 1,000,000 headshots’ and if it’s completed everyone who participated gets a reward.

Rotational playlists don't generate hype/talk like double XP weekends do. When a double XP weekend was announced, the community genuinely got hyped and looked forward to it. I have never seen this for rotational playlists. The most excitement I see is "....huh, that'll be interesting." People play 3-5 matches and then they go back to their usual playlist for the rest of the week.

What 343 wants rotational playlists to be is a constant surge of enthusiasm to play the game and on paper, that's what it should be. Fact of the matter is, the fans who would get excited over rotational playlists aren't playing matchmaking. They're playing customs with their friends and that experience is superior to any rotational playlists.

What 343 needs to do is cut that system and instead, have a "Map & Gametype of the Week" where people can download it and play it in customs. No playlist needed. Just a featured spot in the main menu to grab a new gametype and map to eventually try out with their friends. Similar to Bungie Favorites in Halo 3 but have it be more noticeable.

And community goals is a good idea though they have to be interesting. Not like "Get 1 million headshots" but more like "Get 10 hours of airtime with a Warthog (Social playlists only)" and if the goal is met, everyone gets a Warthog skin. It needs to be fun and engaging.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Donald Trump said:

Rotational playlists don't generate hype/talk like double XP weekends do. When a double XP weekend was announced, the community genuinely got hyped and looked forward to it. I have never seen this for rotational playlists. The most excitement I see is "....huh, that'll be interesting." People play 3-5 matches and then they go back to their usual playlist for the rest of the week.

What 343 wants rotational playlists to be is a constant surge of enthusiasm to play the game and on paper, that's what it should be. Fact of the matter is, the fans who would get excited over rotational playlists aren't playing matchmaking. They're playing customs with their friends and that experience is superior to any rotational playlists.

What 343 needs to do is cut that system and instead, have a "Map & Gametype of the Week" where people can download it and play it in customs. No playlist needed. Just a featured spot in the main menu to grab a new gametype and map to eventually try out with their friends. Similar to Bungie Favorites in Halo 3 but have it be more noticeable.

And community goals is a good idea though they have to be interesting. Not like "Get 1 million headshots" but more like "Get 10 hours of airtime with a Warthog (Social playlists only)" and if the goal is met, everyone gets a Warthog skin. It needs to be fun and engaging.

I meant specifically a rotational ranked list. One that highlights a particular skillset like Snipers or SWAT, or that wouldn't be sustainable as a long term ranked list but could burn hot for short 2 week bursts like BTB or an H1 4v4 list. So the structure would then become, "These 3 lists are the core ways to demonstrate mastery in Halo, and here is one alternate thing to master that we're featuring for a couple weeks."

As for Double XP weekends, I'd love to see those come back too. I'd keep social rotationals too, and maybe tie 2XP weekends to the two rotationals when they first come out (so launch rotationals on Thursday nights). I'd do 2 week rotations for ranked and 1 week rotations for social. Then maybe also tie 2XP to another non-rotational playlist that could use the population bump from it, as another option in case people don't like the rotationals, or want to use 2XP to grind towards a playlist-specific rank on a permanent playlist.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Donald Trump said:

Rotational playlists don't generate hype/talk like double XP weekends do. When a double XP weekend was announced, the community genuinely got hyped and looked forward to it. I have never seen this for rotational playlists. The most excitement I see is "....huh, that'll be interesting." People play 3-5 matches and then they go back to their usual playlist for the rest of the week.

What 343 wants rotational playlists to be is a constant surge of enthusiasm to play the game and on paper, that's what it should be. Fact of the matter is, the fans who would get excited over rotational playlists aren't playing matchmaking. They're playing customs with their friends and that experience is superior to any rotational playlists.

What 343 needs to do is cut that system and instead, have a "Map & Gametype of the Week" where people can download it and play it in customs. No playlist needed. Just a featured spot in the main menu to grab a new gametype and map to eventually try out with their friends. Similar to Bungie Favorites in Halo 3 but have it be more noticeable.

 If it’s a fun playlist and has rewards for playing it, people will. Also if it’s like what the other person said as a ranked playlist. I could see playlists like ranked btb or ranked grifball getting traction for a few months of rotation while they’d be dead otherwise. I don’t think it’s terrible to try. A 343’s pick of the week or month for fileshare is something that I agree with and would be great.

Quote

And community goals is a good idea though they have to be interesting. Not like "Get 1 million headshots" but more like "Get 10 hours of airtime with a Warthog (Social playlists only)" and if the goal is met, everyone gets a Warthog skin. It needs to be fun and engaging.

Yeah, for sure, I didn’t put to much thought into my example and I’m sure there’s many better ideas, but I would like to see the concept.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Rotational playlists get population bumps from drive-by rubberneckers.

 

Double XP weekends get population bumps from people messaging their friends and going, "Yo, what playlist to you want to PWN for Double XP this weekend?"

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.