CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

21 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Hmm. AR and SMG starts are always fun to get for the sake of variety. I don't always wanna play BR starts. Gets stale a lot of the time. Totally a good thing to get ARs. Totally. Not bad. At all.

By that, I mean, variety for the sake of variety isn't good as an argument. It's all emotional. Because I could just turn around and say "the good shit never gets stale because it's good". I would rather play just Coli, Fathom, Truth CTF, or Guardian, Midship, Pit shit on Halo 3 and 5 than have any of the surrounding garbage the games shovel out. Because they're actually good. Quality over quantity. I don't give a shit about variety when the variety sucks pure dick. If anything, I get more annoyed I have to deal with bullshit and the good stuff is in the minority.

The AR start argument is a bit of a laugh because that shit happens with voting too.  Thats a playlist management problem.  Its also a disingenuous problem to bring up right now and going forward since most playlists atm default to BR starts. I think we can also reasonably assume the formula from H5 will carry forward in this regard and there are not going to be differential starting weapons unless thats the sole purpose of the playlist (ie Fiest, HCS removing the AR etc). Vetoing for BRs basically solved that issue in Halo 3 as well. Once they implemented that, a non-BR start game was very rare.

Its simply not as binary as you make it out to be either. No playlist is. You make it sound like there are A class gametypes and F and nothing in between.  It also ignores the reality of matchmaking.  If you let players choose via voting what they want to play you ending up playing the same 3 things all the time. We know this because we have lived through it. Veto has a much better effect on player behavior because it causes people to actually be judicious with their veto's.  Plus the shit you think is good isn't the same stuff that others think are good.  Even a playlist full of objectively good, well designed gametypes will have some stuff you just don't like. 

Veto also allows shitty gametypes to "fail faster" meaning the variety that sucks dick shouldn't be around for very long. There are very very few playlists that have ever existed in Halo that had 0 bad gametypes.  The only exceptions might be the MLG playlists, but for a list like that i would rather have no veto or voting and simply weight the maps the same exact way they are in tournaments.

ALL of this is of course predicated on proper, attentive playlist management.  But without that it doesn't really matter what system you use for veto, voting, whatever the matchmaking experience is going to be shit.

6 hours ago, Botheredhat360 said:

what y'all saying about this

Bullet magnetism is just one variable.  Center both of those higher up, and the H5 AR kills faster because of the headshot multiplier. increase the range and the same thing happens.  Increase it some more and now you can scope the H5 AR to easily get triple the range out of it compared to H3.  Add some strafing to the mix like a real gunfight and the H5 AR basically aims for you compared to H3.  They are really not close to being the same in actual usage.

3 hours ago, Gobias said:

And this is why there is some basis for arguments in support of extra movement mechanics. Movement in Halo has never been what it needs to be. Sometimes that’s a result of sluggish acceleration, restricted field of view, a jump delay, or maybe weapons’ ease of use puts down any strafe. My main gripe with “enhanced” mobility is that it doesn’t fix the problems Halo has had for years. Because if it did, I could turn off the abilities in customs and have a great time.

I really think the movement in Halo 2 was damn near perfect. It was crisp and had good feedback.  You could see in the weapon design that this had an effect on the reticle stickiness being the game that is neck and neck with Halo 5 in that regard.  But at least they didn't double-down and also increase the bullet redirection to insane levels like H5 did.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

sorry to bother you like this, but.

How can one compile everything in video footage for all the things you've mentioned, like I want to extensively compare the two games myself without spinning narratives. 

I suppose range tests on all automatics to see the gradient of kill times over differing ranges.  That alone would be a more credible qualifier of the AR's kill potential unlike his video. Basically showing bloom/spread and how it relates to the magnetism.  Also, magnetism isn't just on/off, it has a range of strengths based on ranges.

Friction, by swiping your aimer over a player while standing still, while you're moving your left stick, while you're moving both sticks, while you're moving your right stick and they're also walking, while you're moving both sticks while they're walking - and conducting that at close medium and far ranges.

The biggest thing though is how AA is made to work over networking which is very difficult to show over practiced examples, it usually just happens while you're playing.  Everyone here knows exactly how ridiculous the H5 snipe can be in a game but recreating those scenarios won't always show how egregious it is in controlled environments like that video.  You just have to feel it out and have a lot of gameplay I suppose.

Which is why his video is really disingenuous.

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/multilockon/video/42266124

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Botheredhat360 said:

what y'all saying about this

just gunna piont out that this dude stopped firing on the left side to reset bloom but didn't do it for h5. tho i can't remember the ttk but i think h5's is faster anyway to offset that. 

edit: lol it's the recoil on the AR that's causing h5's to miss. 

and yeh, h3 is projectile so even if they're 1:1, they don't behave like 1:1. 

also test is bad. they both have spread/bloom so it literally means nothing. the best way to show difference in BM is to go on a modded version with 0 spread/bloom for both. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Arftacular said:

https://reddit.com/r/halo/comments/caqhqz/_/etaevpe/?context=1

for those of you who care about H1, would you mind clicking over there and upvoting this or providing any supporting info? It’s been all crickets from Postums regarding this so I (and I’m sure others) would love to get an answer. 

Thanks for coming to my TED talk. 

linking reddit threads just makes ur upvote null. gotta google the title then post the google link if u actually want upvotes.

also it's known, gets talked about alot so no worries. it just depends if kornman can find a fix. 

26 minutes ago, Riddler said:

linking reddit threads just makes ur upvote null. gotta google the title then post the google link if u actually want upvotes.

also it's known, gets talked about alot so no worries. it just depends if kornman can find a fix. 

Ah, thanks for the heads up. Ctrl + F "arftacular" to get to my comment. Any support would be greatly appreciated and I give great handjobs behind the Dairy Queen.

Thread here: 

On 7/6/2019 at 11:10 PM, S0UL FLAME said:

Veto is the better system when the map/gamemode selections aren't ass

"Hmmm it's Construct AR's, we'll veto to get BR's"

Team Duals on Boundless.

• Simms (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

Server Selection or you know, search parameters, so that I can actually play the game instead of repeating the exact same cycle of jumping onto MCC for a game before falling into a deep sadness as I see West US or even fucking Europe appear on the loading screen of a game, knowing full well that it will be the lagiest shitfest fuckticle of aids gameplay I've ever experienced, knowing that I will get banned and suffer XBL Rep penalties for quitting an absolutely abhorrent MP experience because 343 refuse to give us the fucking choice of data selection or even basic-ass search parameters. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Server Selection or you know, search parameters, so that I can actually play the game instead of repeating the exact same cycle of jumping onto MCC for a game before falling into a deep sadness as I see West US or even fucking Europe appear on the loading screen of a game, knowing full well that it will be the lagiest shitfest fuckticle of aids gameplay I've ever experienced, knowing that I will get banned and suffer XBL Rep penalties for quitting an absolutely abhorrent MP experience because 343 refuse to give us the fucking choice of data selection or even basic-ass search parameters. 

And the weirdest thing is they blame low population, but I've never had to wait for a search in social MCC. It instantly finds a game but it's 99% gonna be on US servers. Their priorities are all out of whack.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Basu said:

And the weirdest thing is they blame low population, but I've never had to wait for a search in social MCC. It instantly finds a game but it's 99% gonna be on US servers. Their priorities are all out of whack.

except half of the time in social i usually match the same players. 

1 minute ago, Apoll0 said:

That shit is so broken lol.  Please tell me you replied to that tweet with "But can the H3 AR do THIS!?"

I stay out of these things nowadays lol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

That shit is so broken lol.  Please tell me you replied to that tweet with "But can the H3 AR do THIS!?"

PP/PR + AR is the new noob combo. I'm suprised more people don't use it because it's so fucking broken I have no idea how this slipped past 343 during the weapon rebalancing. Either that or they just don't care and think this is good game design, because "players are using mental skill to combo" or some other bullshit.

• Like (+1) 2

I haven't played on an Australian server since they expanded the parameters.

3 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I haven't played on an Australian server since they expanded the parameters.

On average I'd say about out of the 4 nights I week I get a chance to play, I only get 3 or 4 games a week on aussie servers. I know for a fact that there aussies playing the game because I match them frequently (7/8 people in a lobby being australian, 1 american).

90% of the time its West US, then the remainder is Asian servers, which are WAY better. I dont think it's ever given me an EU game (200 ping i'm used to, but 300? gtfo)

Just give us a damn option to at least try search a preferred server first, then we can switch it.

17 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Adapt :kappa:

I don't mind US West if it's a weekday, but weekend no way. Gimme that proper ping.

When Australians cry about not getting a proper server, bitch please y’all haven’t had a quality server in halo literally ever! Not h2,3, reach etc. I care about constantly getting eastern servers when I’m from NA west. I know that’s a dick move but Australians and console are very few, y’all are way more of a pc community, as is most of europe

• Downvote (-1) 6
  • WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

halo 3 ar always had way to much auto aim anyways. felt like a very boring unsatisfying weapon. they should compare BR 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Arlong said:

When Australians cry about not getting a proper server, bitch please y’all haven’t had a quality server in halo literally ever! Not h2,3, reach etc. I care about constantly getting eastern servers when I’m from NA west. I know that’s a dick move but Australians and console are very few, y’all are way more of a pc community, as is most of europe

Thank you for sharing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Arlong said:

When Australians cry about not getting a proper server, bitch please y’all haven’t had a quality server in halo literally ever! 

Please explain how that's supposed to mean in 2019 they shouldn't have their own server. What does internet connection in 2004 have to do with today.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Arlong said:

Why are you being so racist toward Australians?

14 hours ago, Arlong said:

The population argument might hold up for MCC sometimes, but correct me if i'm wrong Australians, it was never really a problem during Halo 3 or Reach?  Its one of those times where having P2P instead of dedicated server can be an advantage.  If you're trying to defend MCC population/connectivity by basically saying "Fuck you australians, you don't count" you can shut up and gtfo. You don't need to be a part of the conversation.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, darkstar said:

Why are you being so racist toward Australians?

I just don’t care that Australians in halo have connection problems when it’s obvious that’s never changing